My evening with Alexandra Daddario
2018-02-13 06:55:58 UTC
I cannot bring myself to watch Baywatch. Zac Efron just looked hideously
unfunny in the trailers.

I was at the library, glanced at the DVDs. There's a new movie I'd never
heard of, The Layover, starring her pale self and Kate Upton. It's
supposed to be a romcom, reversing the ancient plot. Two women make
fools of themselves over a guy.

Glancing at the interwebs, I see this was a made-for-tv movie for
DirecTV. Kate Upton can't really act, but she's attractive, and Miss
Daddario is the most adorable and fun woman in existence. How bad could
it possibly be?

Really, really, really, really, really bad. Glancing at it, it's written
by David Hornsby. No, not Russell Hornsby, the guy from two supernatural
tv series, not Nick Hornby, the famous English novelist. This is the
jerk who writes It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and is also Mr. Emily
Deschanel.

It's directed by William H. Macy. I never knew he could direct. Well, he
just can't. It had absolutely no pacing.

I made it through about 10 minutes. I didn't laugh. The characters were
awful, especially Kate Upton as Meg. He's such a bad director, he does
the impossible: He sucked the life out of Miss Daddario, who plays Kate. I
desperately wanted to rescue her from this movie and resucitate her.

I kept fast forwarding it to get to the good parts, but never found
them. At about 35 minutes, there's a pool sequence. Miss Daddario takes
a dress and a pair of scissors and cuts it into an exquisite bathing
suit, then she and Miss Upton compete in a diving contest.

There's a road trip. Finally, Kate throws herself at the guy. A sex
scene ensues, supposed to be funny. It's not. It's not erotic either.

Stay far away.
anim8rfsk
2018-02-13 14:16:21 UTC
I cannot bring myself to watch Baywatch. Zac Efron just looked hideously
unfunny in the trailers.
I was at the library, glanced at the DVDs. There's a new movie I'd never
heard of, The Layover, starring her pale self and Kate Upton. It's
supposed to be a romcom, reversing the ancient plot. Two women make
fools of themselves over a guy.
Glancing at the interwebs, I see this was a made-for-tv movie for
DirecTV. Kate Upton can't really act, but she's attractive, and Miss
Daddario is the most adorable and fun woman in existence.
That one, right there.

How bad could
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Oh, I watched the whole thing, in real time, just for Hi-Ho.

The guy, who's single positive attribute is that he looks like he smells
bad, scores BOTH women. The same night. And then runs away. So they
track him down to ruin his wedding, and, finding out they don't like the
bride, decide she's punishment enough for him.

Yeah, this was not good.
2018-02-13 16:36:24 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
I cannot emphasize how unerotic both "humorous" sex scenes were.
Post by anim8rfsk
So they track him down to ruin his wedding, and, finding out they don't
like the bride, decide she's punishment enough for him.
Yeah, this was not good.
The horrible plot isn't even the movie's most serious problem. With that
bad a script, if you had Miss Daddario in your movie's cast, couldn't
you find something fun to do with her, on screen too?

How is this not a crime that would get you booted out of the directors'
guild and prohibited from working behind the camera ever again?
anim8rfsk
2018-02-13 17:08:40 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
So they track him down to ruin his wedding, and, finding out they don't
like the bride, decide she's punishment enough for him.
Yeah, this was not good.
The horrible plot isn't even the movie's most serious problem. With that
bad a script, if you had Miss Daddario in your movie's cast, couldn't
you find something fun to do with her, on screen too?
How is this not a crime that would get you booted out of the directors'
guild and prohibited from working behind the camera ever again?
Nothing about your work gets you booted from being a director. Only off
screen scandals can do that.
2018-02-13 14:25:30 UTC
I cannot bring myself to watch Baywatch. Zac Efron just looked hideously
unfunny in the trailers.
I was at the library, glanced at the DVDs. There's a new movie I'd never
heard of, The Layover, starring her pale self and Kate Upton. It's
supposed to be a romcom, reversing the ancient plot. Two women make
fools of themselves over a guy.
Glancing at the interwebs, I see this was a made-for-tv movie for
DirecTV. Kate Upton can't really act,
I don't understand why people keep saying that. It's a cliche. She's
actually quite decent in this. (Maybe it would help if you watched it
all the way through... :/ )
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
I didn't find it as horrible as you did, though I concede it's
certainly not good. Daddario fans will be better off with "When We
First Met", though they'll be disappointed that Daddario's not in that
one more...
2018-02-13 16:39:18 UTC
I cannot bring myself to watch Baywatch. Zac Efron just looked hideously
unfunny in the trailers.
I was at the library, glanced at the DVDs. There's a new movie I'd never
heard of, The Layover, starring her pale self and Kate Upton. It's
supposed to be a romcom, reversing the ancient plot. Two women make
fools of themselves over a guy.
Glancing at the interwebs, I see this was a made-for-tv movie for
DirecTV. Kate Upton can't really act,
I don't understand why people keep saying that. It's a cliche. She's
actually quite decent in this. (Maybe it would help if you watched it
all the way through... :/ )
Why does Ian hate me?
Ian is wrong. It really is far more horrible than Ian thinks it was.
EGK
2018-02-13 17:31:58 UTC
[...]
I think the first thing I ever saw Daddario in was the White Collar pilot. I
thought she was so gorgeous and was pissed when I found out she wasn't going
to be a regular.

Since then, the things I've seen her in have generally been horrible with
the exception of her brief role in the first season of True Detective.
Ian J. Ball
2018-02-13 17:55:08 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
I also was mad about that. Frankly, I think WC made a mistake in not
making her at least an important recurring character in season #1.

Killing her off (and then not bringing her back) was probably the
biggest blunder the show ever made. It was all downhill from there, and
even Bridget Regan couldn't bring it back... :/
Post by EGK
Since then, the things I've seen her in have generally been horrible with
the exception of her brief role in the first season of True Detective.
Yeah, her project selections have been lukewarm at best. But I'm not
sure she has much choice in the matter - she's just not going to get
top-shelf offers, unfortunately... :(
2018-02-13 19:16:41 UTC
Post by EGK
Since then, the things I've seen her in have generally been horrible with
the exception of her brief role in the first season of True Detective.
Yeah, her project selections have been lukewarm at best. But I'm not
sure she has much choice in the matter - she's just not going to get
top-shelf offers, unfortunately... :(
Isn't SAN ANDREAS a top shelf offer? It might not be a great movie, but
it's probably not bad career wise. And she's in 2 as well.
I'd consider that a "high-level 'B' movie" - it's clearly not an "A" level picture...
Dimensional Traveler
2018-02-13 19:55:05 UTC
Post by EGK
Since then, the things I've seen her in have generally been horrible with
the exception of her brief role in the first season of True Detective.
Yeah, her project selections have been lukewarm at best. But I'm not
sure she has much choice in the matter - she's just not going to get
top-shelf offers, unfortunately... :(
Isn't SAN ANDREAS a top shelf offer? It might not be a great movie, but
it's probably not bad career wise. And she's in 2 as well.
I'd consider that a "high-level 'B' movie" - it's clearly not an "A" level picture...
It was a movie made to make money rather than a movie made so actors
could act.
instinct are running screaming.
anim8rfsk
2018-02-13 21:49:35 UTC
Post by EGK
Since then, the things I've seen her in have generally been horrible with
the exception of her brief role in the first season of True Detective.
Yeah, her project selections have been lukewarm at best. But I'm not
sure she has much choice in the matter - she's just not going to get
top-shelf offers, unfortunately... :(
Isn't SAN ANDREAS a top shelf offer? It might not be a great movie, but
it's probably not bad career wise. And she's in 2 as well.
I'd consider that a "high-level 'B' movie" - it's clearly not an "A" level picture...
But but but ... The Rock!
alvey
2018-02-13 22:02:45 UTC
Post by EGK
Since then, the things I've seen her in have generally been horrible with
the exception of her brief role in the first season of True Detective.
Yeah, her project selections have been lukewarm at best. But I'm not
sure she has much choice in the matter - she's just not going to get
top-shelf offers, unfortunately... :(
Isn't SAN ANDREAS a top shelf offer? It might not be a great movie, but
it's probably not bad career wise. And she's in 2 as well.
I'd consider that a "high-level 'B' movie" - it's clearly not an "A" level picture...
But but but ... The Rock!
Good point. Make that a 'C'.

alvey
m***@hotmail.com
2018-02-14 21:15:20 UTC
Post by EGK
Since then, the things I've seen her in have generally been horrible with
the exception of her brief role in the first season of True Detective.
Yeah, her project selections have been lukewarm at best. But I'm not
sure she has much choice in the matter - she's just not going to get
top-shelf offers, unfortunately... :(
Isn't SAN ANDREAS a top shelf offer? It might not be a great movie, but
it's probably not bad career wise. And she's in 2 as well.
I'd consider that a "high-level 'B' movie" - it's clearly not an "A" level picture...
But but but ... The Rock!
But ... I did NOT see the movie !! OK?

b***@gmail.com
San Andreas. I never saw it.
anim8rfsk
2018-02-13 19:15:35 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
Every time they show her in that plane window before the boom! :)
Post by EGK
Since then, the things I've seen her in have generally been horrible with
the exception of her brief role in the first season of True Detective.
That was horrible too, except for her.
2018-02-14 09:00:45 UTC
[...]
Ms. Daddario, what big "eyes" you have!