What Did You Watch? 2017-09-06 (Wednsday)
shawn
2017-09-07 06:23:20 UTC
Nothing. Well that's not quite true. I did watch tonight's episode of
BIG BROTHER where Paul continues on his campaign to be the master
puppeteer of BB. Other than that I continued to work my way through a
movie backlog of which I will probably add to a WDYW list at some
point. Some true stinkers in that list among some greats.

What did you watch?
A Friend
2017-09-07 11:50:22 UTC
Post by shawn
What did you watch?
PETER PAN GONE WRONG. This was on BBC 1 last Dec 31 and featured the
cast of THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG, a big hit in the West End and now on
Broadway. The members of the Mischief Company play an amateur
theatrical troupe in an ambitious production of "Peter Pan" hosted by
David "Poirot" Suchet. Hilarity ensues. Oh, jeebus, this was funny.
The cast was incredible. There's a live audience, too. I found PETER
PAN GONE WRONG on YouTube, watched a few minutes of it, and downloaded
it for my wife and me to enjoy on the Sony 55" last night. Runs an
hour.
Obveeus
2017-09-07 12:14:30 UTC
Post by shawn
What did you watch?
YOU'RE THE WORST: The 1 hour season premiere finds Jimmy and Gretchen
still reeling from their engagement and Jimmy's subsequent flight.
Meanwhile, Lindsay is now the sane one holding down a job, though I
don't know why. Lots of TV show references in this episode and Raymond
J. Barry (JUSTIFIED) as a guest star.

I'M SORRY: The season finale in which grandpa is on drugs and asking
for bedroom photos of his daughter. This show is quite funny, but it is
yet another sitcom where every character speaks through the same voice
(writer or director) rather than having a unique personality.

ANIMAL KINGDOM: The last 2 episodes of the most recent season. The
family is all fighting and turning on each other and making *many*
destructive decisions. There is no way that these people would have
survived this long in the real world. I can't wait to find out if any
of them survive their own world next season.

CHEEKY: A 2000 Italian comedy film. Tinto Brass directs. Barely any
plot at all here, but more female nudity than anything else I've seen
offered up from Netflix.
anim8rfsk
2017-09-07 12:32:00 UTC
Post by shawn
Nothing. Well that's not quite true. I did watch tonight's episode of
BIG BROTHER where Paul continues on his campaign to be the master
puppeteer of BB. Other than that I continued to work my way through a
movie backlog of which I will probably add to a WDYW list at some
point. Some true stinkers in that list among some greats.
What did you watch?
Thanks for asking!

Just retro TV stuff here, mostly as background noise.

I got a PRETTY LITTLE LIARS question in Trivia Crack, bitches.
--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/
Ian J. Ball
2017-09-07 14:13:13 UTC
Post by shawn
What did you watch?
Just the disappointing "season finale" of "Shooter" that's been discussed elsewhere.

I also watched a couple more episodes of "Violetta" - the subplot with the crazy cellist girl who's virtually stalking the rapper kid is pretty amusing.
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-09-07 13:48:24 UTC
Post by shawn
Nothing. Well that's not quite true. I did watch tonight's episode of
BIG BROTHER where Paul continues on his campaign to be the master
puppeteer of BB.
Yeah, I watched this too. Great observation that he really should have
been voted out his first week.

Post by shawn
movie backlog of which I will probably add to a WDYW list at some
point. Some true stinkers in that list among some greats.
What did you watch?
Now that I can post again, this will be a multi-day catch up:

Somewhere Between – “Destiny’s Child” – I thought this was the series
finale but there’s more suffering to go. :-(

The Librarians – “And the Fatal Separation” and “And the Wrath of Chaos”
– I *finally* got around to watching the last two episodes of the
season, recorded all the way back in January. The first one had the
team saving “The Monkey King” while in the finale the team stop Apep
from unleashing evil on the world. They were OK, I guess.

The Last Ship – “Nostos” – Already covered.

The Sinner – Mostly background noise.

Midnight Texas – “Angel Heart” – Already covered.

Preacher – Already covered.

The Deuce (OnDemand) New HBO series set in 1970s New York starring James
Franco (playing twins) and Maggie Gyllenhaal (playing a prostitute)
about the birth of the adult film industry. The first episode was a
mess. It seemed to be far more about Franco’s degenerate gambler
character and Maggie and her prostitution friends than anything else. I
didn’t even know Franco was twins until I saw two of him on the screen
at the same time. The first time he made that claim he was being shook
down by loan sharks and I thought he was lying. I *might* give it a
second chance once the show officially premiers but episode 2 better be
a lot better than the pilot.

Blade Runner (4K blu-ray) – “Final Cut” of Ridley Scott's classic
staring Harrison Ford stars as a futuristic cop hunting down humanoid
robots run amok on Earth. The movie holds up excellently but it would
be nice if Scott could have just picked a version and stuck to it. We
really don’t need 5 million different cuts of the same movie! That
being said, the new 4K transfer and Dolby Atmos sound were outstanding.

The Lost City of Z (Netflix rental) Charlie Hunnam stars as a British
explorer who searched for the an ancient city in south America. It
spans several decades of his various trips. I found the movie to be
overall tedious, and I hated the ending.

Birth of the Dragon (theatrical) – fictionalized accounting of the real
life fight between Bruce Lee and Wong Jack Man, a Shaolin Master who Lee
fought in the late 60s just before he became a well known TV and movie
star. At the time Lee was gaining notoriety as a Karate instructor
which caused the monks in China to take notice since he was teaching
Westerners. The movie is getting mixed to bad reviews but I generally
liked it. However, it was pretty obvious that a character had been
created for the movie and as a result Lee was almost a secondary
character in his own movie. Also, they made Lee come off as an arrogant
fame hungry jerk. At the same time Wong Jack Man was portrayed almost
saintly. And in a very odd decision, the fake Western character created
for this movie became a student of Wong Jack Man. That completely
undercut his showing up to put an end to Lee teaching Westerners if the
movie has him taking on a Western student. But whatever, I more or less
liked it anyway.

Atomica (Netflix rental) low budget sci fi movie staring Sarah Habel as
some type of technician who goes to a high tech future power plant to
investigate why communications were lost. She encounters Dominic
Monaghan as a sketchy power plant employee and Tom Sizemore as a
different sketchy power plant employee who are doing sketchy things for
sketchy reasons. It took three writers to write this mess of a movie
that only has three characters and is only about an hour and 20 minutes.
This was really, really, really, bad! AVOID at all costs!
Obveeus
2017-09-08 12:28:33 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Atomica (Netflix rental) low budget sci fi movie staring Sarah Habel as
some type of technician who goes to a high tech future power plant to
investigate why communications were lost.  She encounters Dominic
Monaghan as a sketchy power plant employee and Tom Sizemore as a
different sketchy power plant employee who are doing sketchy things for
sketchy reasons.  It took three writers to write this mess of a movie
that only has three characters and is only about an hour and 20 minutes.
 This was really, really, really, bad!  AVOID at all costs!
A 4.2 rating on IMDB. As with Ian, you need to avoid ever watching
films that come in with a sub 5.0 rating. Otherwise, you are just
asking for entertainment misery.
Ian J. Ball
Except that I find stuff that has low ratings on IMDb that I liked more than the "crowd" did.
Jim G.
2017-09-10 22:09:17 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Except that I find stuff that has low ratings on IMDb that I liked more than the "crowd" did.
I just wanted to see this again. :)
"I intend to save her beautiful, stubborn ass. And if you keep being
weird about this, I intend to poke you in the lung hole." -- D'avin
Jaqobis, KILLJOYS
Ian J. Ball
2017-09-10 22:16:05 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Except that I find stuff that has low ratings on IMDb that
I liked more than the "crowd" did.
I just wanted to see this again. :)
Well, if you want a specific example, I think "The Lost Tribe" is worth more than its 3.8 IMDb rating. Sure, it not great. But it's better than the original version with Jewel Staite, and it's a decent Saturday afternoon horror-suspense flick.

There are others like this, though I'm not remembering another example right now...
anim8rfsk
2017-09-08 15:32:38 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Atomica (Netflix rental) low budget sci fi movie staring Sarah Habel as
some type of technician who goes to a high tech future power plant to
investigate why communications were lost.  She encounters Dominic
Monaghan as a sketchy power plant employee and Tom Sizemore as a
different sketchy power plant employee who are doing sketchy things for
sketchy reasons.  It took three writers to write this mess of a movie
that only has three characters and is only about an hour and 20 minutes.
 This was really, really, really, bad!  AVOID at all costs!
A 4.2 rating on IMDB. As with Ian, you need to avoid ever watching
films that come in with a sub 5.0 rating. Otherwise, you are just
asking for entertainment misery.
Aren't we all asking for entertainment misery for Ian?
Ian J. Ball
2017-09-08 13:20:29 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Atomica (Netflix rental) low budget sci fi movie staring Sarah Habel as
some type of technician who goes to a high tech future power plant to
investigate why communications were lost. She encounters Dominic
Monaghan as a sketchy power plant employee and Tom Sizemore as a
different sketchy power plant employee who are doing sketchy things for
sketchy reasons. It took three writers to write this mess of a movie
that only has three characters and is only about an hour and 20
minutes. This was really, really, really, bad! AVOID at all costs!
I think I noticed this on Netflix, and made a mental note that I should
maybe watch this. You're not helping with that!!... ;p
anim8rfsk
2017-09-08 15:35:53 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Atomica (Netflix rental) low budget sci fi movie staring Sarah Habel as
some type of technician who goes to a high tech future power plant to
investigate why communications were lost. She encounters Dominic
Monaghan as a sketchy power plant employee and Tom Sizemore as a
different sketchy power plant employee who are doing sketchy things for
sketchy reasons. It took three writers to write this mess of a movie
that only has three characters and is only about an hour and 20
minutes. This was really, really, really, bad! AVOID at all costs!
I think I noticed this on Netflix, and made a mental note that I should
maybe watch this. You're not helping with that!!... ;p
It's not on The Netflix (streaming) although searching for ATOMICA
brings up lesbian porn called BELOW HER MOUTH and of course now that I
read the description of that, all my suggestions are lesbian porn. I
honestly didn't know The Netflix had all this. I haven't decided if I'm
happy about it or not.
Jim G.
2017-09-10 22:08:20 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The Lost City of Z (Netflix rental) Charlie Hunnam stars as a British
explorer who searched for the an ancient city in south America. It
spans several decades of his various trips. I found the movie to be
overall tedious, and I hated the ending.
Despite loving the subject matter of this one, I made it about a
half-hour and bailed. Good grief, most funerals are faster-paced than
this thing.
Jaqobis, KILLJOYS
Jim G.
2017-09-10 21:52:24 UTC
Post by shawn
What did you watch?
SALVATION / All In / 1x11

[Grace and Harris must forge an alliance when their children’s lives are
in jeopardy. Also, Liam presents Jillian with an unusual proposal.]

So. Much. Soap. And I couldn't care less about any of the couples. The
world is on its way to ending and Grace is worried about Zoe kissing a
guy. We get more reminders that Elon was stupid enough to give up
majority interest in his own company. Liam and Jillian go on a picnic
and we get a lame montage that I'd pay good money to un-see. And he
proposes. Gah. Neil deGrasse Tyson gets a mention because he's obviously
one of only two "science" people that the writers have ever heard of.
Hey, at least they didn't go with Nye. Grace has been designated as a
security breach at Tanz, which is probably the smartest thing that Elon
has done since this show began. Except that it wasn't Elon; it was her
own daughter's duplicity. Heh.

Back on the Liam front, we learn that he was abandoned at a hospital as
a baby and that a nurse there raised him. Because of course he was and
of course she did. Social relevance for the win! And because we just
wasted time watching Elon play guitar and talk with Tess about second
chances, we learn that the writers aren't above giving Nurse Mom all of
about five seconds to accurately suss out the desperation and rush
behind Liam's decision to get married right away. And she's not happy.
And I'm not happy -- because if she really could figure it out that
quickly, then Liam is an idiot for approaching her in the first place,
assuming that he intends to keep her in the dark.

On the hacker front, they're not doing much hacking at the moment
because everyone's eyes are full of soap and blinding them, but was that
a RE/SYST logo that I saw on that abandoned laptop's screen when Harris
tapped a key? Because nothing says "secret subversive group" like a
screensaver logo that identifies your connection to a group like that.
And then we quickly return to the hospital, where Liam and Mom make up
and we waste still *more* time -- on a lame little wedding thing in the
hospital chapel. Except that Jillian bails at the altar. Heh. Seriously,
can it get any soapier than that?

And finally, Elon and Uncle Walter go for a plane ride to work things
out and to show that Elon really doesn't care much about flight rules in
urban areas. At this point, our intrepid and untrustworthy reporter is
the only character with an interesting story line, but there's too much
soap getting in her way. Because even with a short 13-episode run, the
writers can't come up with enough material to keep it interesting.

Grade: D+
Jaqobis, KILLJOYS
Ian J. Ball
2017-09-11 00:30:24 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
What did you watch?
SALVATION / All In / 1x11
[Grace and Harris must forge an alliance when their children’s lives
are in jeopardy. Also, Liam presents Jillian with an unusual proposal.]
So. Much. Soap...
Grade: D+
I think we've all been on the same page on this episode - I don't think
anybody liked it.
anim8rfsk
2017-09-11 03:18:25 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
What did you watch?
SALVATION / All In / 1x11
[Grace and Harris must forge an alliance when their children¹s lives are
in jeopardy. Also, Liam presents Jillian with an unusual proposal.]
So. Much. Soap. And I couldn't care less about any of the couples. The
world is on its way to ending and Grace is worried about Zoe kissing a
guy. We get more reminders that Elon was stupid enough to give up
majority interest in his own company. Liam and Jillian go on a picnic
and we get a lame montage that I'd pay good money to un-see. And he
proposes. Gah. Neil deGrasse Tyson gets a mention because he's obviously
one of only two "science" people that the writers have ever heard of.
Bad astronomers attract bad astronomers.
Jim G.
2017-09-12 17:00:04 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
What did you watch?
SALVATION / All In / 1x11
[Grace and Harris must forge an alliance when their children¹s lives are
in jeopardy. Also, Liam presents Jillian with an unusual proposal.]
So. Much. Soap. And I couldn't care less about any of the couples. The
world is on its way to ending and Grace is worried about Zoe kissing a
guy. We get more reminders that Elon was stupid enough to give up
majority interest in his own company. Liam and Jillian go on a picnic
and we get a lame montage that I'd pay good money to un-see. And he
proposes. Gah. Neil deGrasse Tyson gets a mention because he's obviously
one of only two "science" people that the writers have ever heard of.
Bad astronomers attract bad astronomers.
This thing has gotten so bad that the bad "science" is the least of its
problems. Mainly because there's almost no "science" there at all
anymore. Not even the bad variety.
Jaqobis, KILLJOYS
anim8rfsk
2017-09-12 17:28:08 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
What did you watch?
SALVATION / All In / 1x11
[Grace and Harris must forge an alliance when their children1s lives are
in jeopardy. Also, Liam presents Jillian with an unusual proposal.]
So. Much. Soap. And I couldn't care less about any of the couples. The
world is on its way to ending and Grace is worried about Zoe kissing a
guy. We get more reminders that Elon was stupid enough to give up
majority interest in his own company. Liam and Jillian go on a picnic
and we get a lame montage that I'd pay good money to un-see. And he
proposes. Gah. Neil deGrasse Tyson gets a mention because he's obviously
one of only two "science" people that the writers have ever heard of.
Bad astronomers attract bad astronomers.
This thing has gotten so bad that the bad "science" is the least of its
problems. Mainly because there's almost no "science" there at all
anymore. Not even the bad variety.
"When the science is all gone, all that's left is the 'tard"
Jim G.
2017-09-12 18:27:35 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
[...]
And soap. Lots and lots of soap.
Jaqobis, KILLJOYS
Dimensional Traveler
2017-09-12 19:12:23 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
[...]
But its a very clean 'tard from all the soap.
instinct are running screaming.
m***@hotmail.com
After all, hey: its all a matter of connections. Not whining.
BTR1701
2017-09-15 15:13:50 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
What did you watch?
SALVATION / All In / 1x11
[Grace and Harris must forge an alliance when their children¹s lives are
in jeopardy. Also, Liam presents Jillian with an unusual proposal.]
So. Much. Soap. And I couldn't care less about any of the couples. The
world is on its way to ending and Grace is worried about Zoe kissing a
guy.
I told you they were making out!
Post by Jim G.
Neil deGrasse Tyson gets a mention because he's obviously
one of only two "science" people that the writers have ever heard of.
I bet they've heard of Carl Sagan, too, but meeting him might be kind of
smelly.
Post by Jim G.
Back on the Liam front, we learn that he was abandoned at a hospital as
a baby and that a nurse there raised him. Because of course he was and
of course she did.
And of course she's black, making them both diverse!

I can almost hear the conversation in the writers' room...

"Liam asks for them to page his mother. A black nurse appears and gives
him a hug and the audience gasps with pleasure as we happily realize how
progressive and diverse Liam and his family is. This will make up for
Liam being white and male in the first place."
Post by Jim G.
And because we just wasted time watching Elon play guitar and
talk with Tess about second chances
Why the fuck won't Elon just tell Tess about the Sweet Meteor of Death?
He's a maverick rule-breaker in every other context, refusing to abide
by any restriction placed on him by the government, the point of going
to Russia and telling *them* about it, but when his company is about to
be pulled out from under him, he hems and haws and tells the person
doing they auditing that "Gosh, I wish I could tell you but you're just
going to have trust me that there's a good reason for all of it."
Post by Jim G.
On the hacker front, they're not doing much hacking at the moment
because everyone's eyes are full of soap and blinding them, but was that
a RE/SYST logo that I saw on that abandoned laptop's screen when Harris
tapped a key? Because nothing says "secret subversive group" like a
screensaver logo that identifies your connection to a group like that.
Branding is everything!
Post by Jim G.
And finally, Elon and Uncle Walter go for a plane ride to work things
out and to show that Elon really doesn't care much about flight rules
in urban areas.
But he can't tell Tess... because he's such a rule follower.

"Tell me your secret Walter or not only will I kill us both, I'll plow
this plane into the city and kill hundreds on the ground."

He was either bluffing or he's a serious psychopath.
Jim G.
2017-09-15 22:04:38 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
What did you watch?
SALVATION / All In / 1x11
[Grace and Harris must forge an alliance when their children¹s lives are
in jeopardy. Also, Liam presents Jillian with an unusual proposal.]
So. Much. Soap. And I couldn't care less about any of the couples. The
world is on its way to ending and Grace is worried about Zoe kissing a
guy.
I told you they were making out!
Yes, you did. :) Your eyes and/or your imagination were better than mine
in this instance.
Post by BTR1701
Post by Jim G.
Neil deGrasse Tyson gets a mention because he's obviously
one of only two "science" people that the writers have ever heard of.
I bet they've heard of Carl Sagan, too, but meeting him might be kind of
smelly.
They've probably heard of Hawking, too, but knew that (actually being
brilliant and competent) he would frown on them using his name in any
connection with this show. Tyson, OTOH, would probably pay the producers
for a mention.
Post by BTR1701
Post by Jim G.
Back on the Liam front, we learn that he was abandoned at a hospital as
a baby and that a nurse there raised him. Because of course he was and
of course she did.
And of course she's black, making them both diverse!
You noticed that, too. But she wasn't rolling around in a wheelchair
while talking about her female lover, so shame on the writers for being
such haters.
Post by Jim G.
And because we just wasted time watching Elon play guitar and
talk with Tess about second chances
Why the fuck won't Elon just tell Tess about the Sweet Meteor of Death?
He's a maverick rule-breaker in every other context, refusing to abide
by any restriction placed on him by the government, the point of going
to Russia and telling *them* about it, but when his company is about to
be pulled out from under him, he hems and haws and tells the person
doing they auditing that "Gosh, I wish I could tell you but you're just
going to have trust me that there's a good reason for all of it."
Yep. Stupid stuff. But then again, I don't completely trust her at this
point, just as I don't completely trust Grace's dad.
Post by Jim G.
And finally, Elon and Uncle Walter go for a plane ride to work things
out and to show that Elon really doesn't care much about flight rules
in urban areas.
But he can't tell Tess... because he's such a rule follower.
"Tell me your secret Walter or not only will I kill us both, I'll plow
this plane into the city and kill hundreds on the ground."
He was either bluffing or he's a serious psychopath.
I don't think that there can be any doubt about it being a bluff.
Jaqobis, KILLJOYS
anim8rfsk