"Mystery Science Theater 3000" adding Patton Oswalt
David
2015-11-30 19:33:55 UTC
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-science-theater-3000/

Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya

In creator Joel Hodgson's most recent Kickstarter update, he revealed comedian Patton Oswalt will be the new evil henchman, the second half of "The Mads" to befuddle new host Jonah Ray with cheesy movies.
moviePig
2015-11-30 19:45:37 UTC
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-science-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
In creator Joel Hodgson's most recent Kickstarter update, he revealed comedian Patton Oswalt will be the new evil henchman, the second half of "The Mads" to befuddle new host Jonah Ray with cheesy movies.
Now he's talking...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Barb May
2015-11-30 22:33:39 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-science-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
In creator Joel Hodgson's most recent Kickstarter update, he
revealed comedian Patton Oswalt will be the new evil henchman, the
second half of "The Mads" to befuddle new host Jonah Ray with cheesy
movies.
Now he's talking...
Patton Oswalt will be good. I'm not so sure about Jonah Ray.
Barb
moviePig
2015-12-01 14:56:09 UTC
Post by Barb May
Post by moviePig
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-science-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
In creator Joel Hodgson's most recent Kickstarter update, he
revealed comedian Patton Oswalt will be the new evil henchman, the
second half of "The Mads" to befuddle new host Jonah Ray with cheesy
movies.
Now he's talking...
Patton Oswalt will be good. I'm not so sure about Jonah Ray.
Never trust a man with two first names...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
anim8rfsk
2015-11-30 19:51:23 UTC
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-scien
ce-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
In creator Joel Hodgson's most recent Kickstarter update, he revealed
comedian Patton Oswalt will be the new evil henchman, the second half of "The
Mads" to befuddle new host Jonah Ray with cheesy movies.
Eh. I don't think I'm going to get past the uncharismatic, unfunny
host. They should have stuck Felicia Day with the 'bots.
New sig pending
Obveeus
2015-11-30 20:22:02 UTC
A complete waste of his time and talent.
David
2015-11-30 23:44:55 UTC
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-science-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
They've passed $3.3 million, so there'll be at least 6 episodes.

They're also now the second-biggest video project after "Veronica Mars."
Adam H. Kerman
What the fuck are they going to spend $3.3 million on?
anim8rfsk
2015-12-01 01:22:03 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by David
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-sci
ence-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
They've passed $3.3 million, so there'll be at least 6 episodes.
They're also now the second-biggest video project after "Veronica Mars."
What the fuck are they going to spend $3.3 million on?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1413188

"ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM JOEL
Question #1: Why do you need so much money?
Believe me, man. I hear you. If it really cost $2 million just to make
three episodes, we'd be spending almost $700K per show! And you're
right: by itself, an episode of MST3K doesn't cost nearly that much.
But the explanation is actually pretty simple:
A. We don't get to keep all of the money we raise on Kickstarter.
€ Out of the first $2,000,000, we have to pay about 8% ­ that's
$160,000 ­ in CAMPAIGN FEES to Kickstarter and the credit card processor.
€ Then we have to cover all of the REWARD AND SHIPPING COSTS to
design, produce, print, sort and ship all of the rewards we're offering
in exchange for your pledge. (Those t-shirts aren't free, you know!)
That costs about 27%, so that's another $540,000.
€ We're not charging you twice for shipping, I promise. Even though
Kickstarter asks you to add more for shipping after you pledge, they
count that money toward the total we've raised, but we still have to
spend that money on, you know... shipping!
€ So, out of the first $2,000,000 we raise, we have to spend
$700,000 just on the costs of this Kickstarter campaign!
B. Then, we have a lot of startup costs just to get the show into
production.
To shoot new episodes, there's a lot we'll need to do up front: creating
concept art and designs, building sets, making models, creating
costumes, adding new features to upgrade the robots, and all sorts of
other things. All of that work costs money, which is why that first
$2,000,000 includes $550,000 for STARTUP COSTS. The good part is that
every penny of that ends up on screen, where you can see it.
C. But... the more episodes we make, the less each episode costs!
We have to spend $550,000 up front, no matter how many episodes we make.
If we only make 3 episodes, these costs increase the budget for each
episode by $183KŠ but if we make a full 12, they only increase it by
$46K each!
Anyway, once you take out the CAMPAIGN, REWARD and STARTUP COSTS,
there's a lot less than $2M left.
In fact, that leaves just $750,000 for THREE FEATURE-LENGTH EPISODES OF
MST3K, which ­ I hope ­ sounds a lot more reasonable than $2,000,000!
At the end of the day, our goal is to make each feature-length episode
of MST3K for around $250,000.
To put that in perspective, that means we're spending less to create 90
minutes of MST3K than even the lower-end reality shows spend to make 22
minutes! (Really makes ya think, don't it?)
And remember: that $250K isn't just to hire our writers, cast and crew,
or rent equipment and space. It also includes the cost of LICENSING
MOVIE RIGHTS, and that can get pretty expensive. Which brings me to the
last point:
D. If we want the best cheesy movies, we have to pay for them.
Right now, none of the movies I'd like to include in the next season are
in the public domain. That means we have to pay the owner of each movie
a substantial amount to include it on MST3K. That would be expensive no
matter what... and that's before the owners realize what we're planning
to do with them!
Now, I know that was a lot of detail. If you're as worn out from reading
about this as I am from writing about it, here's a wicked cool graphic
that sums the whole thing up:"

Click link to see charts

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/899/859/e19abb9c5986d8a65fd1cc2ccfb6
4493_original.gif?v=1447365447&w=639&fit=max&q=92&s=cf8ae175e6c13d68a2a26
302e8f7f74a
New sig pending
Tony Calguire
2015-12-01 02:15:04 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
To shoot new episodes, there's a lot we'll need to do up front: creating
concept art and designs, building sets, making models, creating
costumes, adding new features to upgrade the robots, and all sorts of
other things. All of that work costs money, which is why that first
$2,000,000 includes $550,000 for STARTUP COSTS.
The building in Northeast Minneapolis where MST3K was born is almost
certainly vacant, and probably worth less than $2 million.
anim8rfsk
2015-12-01 04:18:41 UTC
Post by Tony Calguire
Post by anim8rfsk
To shoot new episodes, there's a lot we'll need to do up front: creating
concept art and designs, building sets, making models, creating
costumes, adding new features to upgrade the robots, and all sorts of
other things. All of that work costs money, which is why that first
$2,000,000 includes $550,000 for STARTUP COSTS.
The building in Northeast Minneapolis where MST3K was born is almost
certainly vacant, and probably worth less than $2 million.
Heh.

One big problem they face is that they're known, and nobody's gonna do
free stuff any more. They're likely union too.
New sig pending
Adam H. Kerman
2015-12-01 06:05:29 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by David
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-science-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
They've passed $3.3 million, so there'll be at least 6 episodes.
They're also now the second-biggest video project after "Veronica Mars."
What the fuck are they going to spend $3.3 million on?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1413188
Thanks for posting that.
Post by anim8rfsk
"ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM JOEL
Then we have to cover all of the REWARD AND SHIPPING COSTS to
design, produce, print, sort and ship all of the rewards we're offering
in exchange for your pledge. (Those t-shirts aren't free, you know!)
That costs about 27%, so that's another $540,000.
He's assuming a production run of 30,000 T-shirts, $18 each including
shipping and handling.
Post by anim8rfsk
B. Then, we have a lot of startup costs just to get the show into
production.
To shoot new episodes, there's a lot we'll need to do up front: creating
concept art and designs, building sets, making models, creating
costumes, adding new features to upgrade the robots, and all sorts of
other things. All of that work costs money, which is why that first
$2,000,000 includes $550,000 for STARTUP COSTS. The good part is that
every penny of that ends up on screen, where you can see it.
I have no idea. Does that sound right to you?
Post by anim8rfsk
C. But... the more episodes we make, the less each episode costs!
We have to spend $550,000 up front, no matter how many episodes we make.
If we only make 3 episodes, these costs increase the budget for each
episode by $183K but if we make a full 12, they only increase it by
$46K each!
That much an episode?
Post by anim8rfsk
And remember: that $250K isn't just to hire our writers, cast and crew,
or rent equipment and space. It also includes the cost of LICENSING
MOVIE RIGHTS, and that can get pretty expensive.
Yeah, that I can see. Why doesn't the parody exception cover them?

The movie they should do is The Copyright That Just Won't Die!
anim8rfsk
2015-12-01 06:40:00 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by David
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-s
cience-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
They've passed $3.3 million, so there'll be at least 6 episodes.
They're also now the second-biggest video project after "Veronica Mars."
What the fuck are they going to spend $3.3 million on?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1413188
Thanks for posting that.
np
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
"ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM JOEL
Then we have to cover all of the REWARD AND SHIPPING COSTS to
design, produce, print, sort and ship all of the rewards we're offering
in exchange for your pledge. (Those t-shirts aren't free, you know!)
That costs about 27%, so that's another $540,000.
He's assuming a production run of 30,000 T-shirts, $18 each including
shipping and handling.
heh
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
B. Then, we have a lot of startup costs just to get the show into
production.
To shoot new episodes, there's a lot we'll need to do up front: creating
concept art and designs, building sets, making models, creating
costumes, adding new features to upgrade the robots, and all sorts of
other things. All of that work costs money, which is why that first
$2,000,000 includes $550,000 for STARTUP COSTS. The good part is that
every penny of that ends up on screen, where you can see it.
I have no idea. Does that sound right to you?
Well, I'm the guy that was surprised and horrified that Bones had a $2m
a ep license fee, but ... yeah. When everything else costs that much,
nobody is going to give you a bargain.
Post by anim8rfsk
And remember: that $250K isn't just to hire our writers, cast and crew,
or rent equipment and space. It also includes the cost of LICENSING
MOVIE RIGHTS, and that can get pretty expensive.
Yeah, that I can see. Why doesn't the parody exception cover them?
I don't think "showing the original and talking over it" counts as
parody.
New sig pending
Adam H. Kerman
2015-12-01 14:55:28 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by David
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-s
cience-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
They've passed $3.3 million, so there'll be at least 6 episodes.
They're also now the second-biggest video project after "Veronica Mars."
What the fuck are they going to spend $3.3 million on?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1413188
Thanks for posting that.
np
Post by Adam H. Kerman
"ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM JOEL
Post by anim8rfsk
And remember: that $250K isn't just to hire our writers, cast and crew,
or rent equipment and space. It also includes the cost of LICENSING
MOVIE RIGHTS, and that can get pretty expensive.
Yeah, that I can see. Why doesn't the parody exception cover them?
I don't think "showing the original and talking over it" counts as
parody.
I wasn't thinking. They pretty much show the whole picture, yeah.
New sig pending
Adam H. Kerman
2015-12-01 16:43:03 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by David
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-s
cience-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
They've passed $3.3 million, so there'll be at least 6 episodes.
They're also now the second-biggest video project after "Veronica Mars."
What the fuck are they going to spend $3.3 million on?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1413188
Thanks for posting that.
np
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
"ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM JOEL
Then we have to cover all of the REWARD AND SHIPPING COSTS to
design, produce, print, sort and ship all of the rewards we're offering
in exchange for your pledge. (Those t-shirts aren't free, you know!)
That costs about 27%, so that's another $540,000.
He's assuming a production run of 30,000 T-shirts, $18 each including
shipping and handling.
heh
I was going by the number of people who had been reported as pledging,
which was over 29,000, and was guessing he rounded it up to 30,000.
It's a little high, but some of the shipping and handling costs can
be high.
David Johnston
2015-12-02 10:06:57 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by David
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-science-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
They've passed $3.3 million, so there'll be at least 6 episodes.
They're also now the second-biggest video project after "Veronica Mars."
What the fuck are they going to spend $3.3 million on?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1413188
Thanks for posting that.
"ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM JOEL
Post by anim8rfsk
And remember: that $250K isn't just to hire our writers, cast and crew,
or rent equipment and space. It also includes the cost of LICENSING
MOVIE RIGHTS, and that can get pretty expensive.
Yeah, that I can see. Why doesn't the parody exception cover them?
The parody exception is for original works that mimic something else in
order to make fun, or the use of excerpts from the original for the
purpose of mockery. It doesn't cover reproducing the whole work in toto
in order to add content of your own.
Adam H. Kerman
2015-12-02 13:47:24 UTC
The parody exception is for . . .
I know, Johnston. I already owned up to forgetting that they were playing
nearly the entire movie.

David Johnston
2015-12-02 09:40:50 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by David
Post by David
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/30/patton-oswalt-to-join-new-mystery-science-theater-3000/
Patton Oswalt To Join New Mystery Science Theater 3000
by Erik Amaya
They've passed $3.3 million, so there'll be at least 6 episodes.
They're also now the second-biggest video project after "Veronica Mars."
What the fuck are they going to spend $3.3 million on?
Licensing rights. No more public domain crap.