Doctor Who "City of Death"
Adam H. Kerman
2016-11-06 07:09:44 UTC
One of the best episodes of the Tom Baker era. It was written by "David
Agnew" due to Douglas Adams' collaboration on the script. He was script
editor during the period and was violating a BBC rule that script editors
themselves weren't allowed to hire themselves. The original writer,
David Fisher, was going through a divorce and didn't complete it. It
was rewritten by Adams and Graham Williams. During the original broadcast
of this serial, Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was published.

It's loads of fun, featuring a great cast of Julian Glover (Bond villain
from For Your Eyes Only), gorgeous and stylish Catherine Schell (Space:
1999), Tom Chadbon, and David Graham. Eleanor Bron and John Cleese make
cameo appearances.

What I found memorable was the incidental music written especially for
this episode's scenes ambling about Paris. It's stuck with me since
I first saw it.

It's set in contemporary Paris. Lalla Ward is especially adorable in
her "period" costume. There's extensive on location filming, including
at the Lourve, the Left Bank, and the Eiffel Tower.

It's about the theft of the Mona Lisa, and art crimes that's not forgery
at all.

An alien from a particularly nasty race that died off 400 million years ago
due to war interfered in human history, split into 12 segments and capable
of communicating across time. He accidentally blew up his ship, which
sparked life on Earth! He's crazy enough to think he can create a time
bubble to reverse his life and keep himself from creating the accident,
but understands too little about time engineering, until he can extort two
Time Lords into doing his dirty work for him. He's got a scientist in his
employ, Kerensky, who thinks he's conducting animal husbandry experiments.

His wife, the Countess, is in charge of his art thefts.

He's been financing himself with the proceeds. His scheme is to set aside
antiquities for this future selves while they're still brand new, even
paying the original artists to make reproductions.
suzeeq
Sounds better than the one shown here, The Zibos Operation.
Adam H. Kerman
2016-11-06 15:47:39 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Oh, but The Pirate Planet is next, then, also written by Douglas Adams.
"The Ribos Operation" introduced Mary Tamm as Romana, a wonderful
character. The season-long story of The Key to Time drags in several
episodes, alas.
suzeeq
2016-11-06 16:49:50 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Yep, next week we get Pirate Planet. I guess they're showing the arcs in
order. I kinda forget to look at them as they start at 11, about the
time I'm thinking of going to bed.
Adam H. Kerman
2016-11-06 17:19:52 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
My local public television station isn't using broadcast order. They
skip around. I guess they're using production order, which makes
no sense. I still haven't seen "Destiny of the Daleks", the first episode
of Season 17 and recasting of Romana with Lalla Ward.
anim8rfsk
2016-11-07 14:54:38 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
And I'm out.
--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/
Adam H. Kerman
Which are you pissed about?
anim8rfsk
2016-11-07 22:54:10 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
The faux replacement Romana.

And the wretched way they treated Mary Tamm.
Adam H. Kerman
2016-11-07 23:16:09 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
I liked Lalla Ward's performance.
Post by anim8rfsk
And the wretched way they treated Mary Tamm.
She offered to return to film a transition scene but she wasn't asked back.
I never heard why she didn't want to return for another season. What story
did you hear?
anim8rfsk
2016-11-07 23:47:18 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
A friend refers to her as "the chinless wimp" - he likes her a *lot*
more than I did.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
And the wretched way they treated Mary Tamm.
She offered to return to film a transition scene but she wasn't asked back.
I never heard why she didn't want to return for another season. What story
did you hear?
I've seen her interviewed about how it wasn't her choice to leave and
how they spread lies about her to hurt her getting other work, claiming
she was pregnant when she wasn't, stuff like that. She had no idea what
the Hell happened to turn them against her.
Adam H. Kerman
2016-11-08 01:59:46 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Golly. I don't agree with the two of you.
Thanks.
anim8rfsk
Arthur Lipscomb
2016-11-06 23:27:10 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
One of the best episodes of the Tom Baker era. It was written by "David
Agnew" due to Douglas Adams' collaboration on the script. He was script
editor during the period and was violating a BBC rule that script editors
themselves weren't allowed to hire themselves. The original writer,
David Fisher, was going through a divorce and didn't complete it. It
was rewritten by Adams and Graham Williams. During the original broadcast
of this serial, Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was published.
It's loads of fun, featuring a great cast of Julian Glover (Bond villain
1999), Tom Chadbon, and David Graham. Eleanor Bron and John Cleese make
cameo appearances.
What I found memorable was the incidental music written especially for
this episode's scenes ambling about Paris. It's stuck with me since
I first saw it.
I don't remember the music but this is one of the episodes that has
stuck with me since first viewing.
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
I don't remember The Ribos Operation (other than general awareness it's
part of the Key to Time arc) but Pirate Planet is another favorite of
mine. I've never given it much thought but I wonder if a lot of the
best/memorable Who episodes were written by Douglas Adams. I just did a
quick check and it looks like the only other Who he wrote was "Shada"
(not the snake episode, this never even aired) so I guess not. :-)
anim8rfsk
anim8rfsk