You Never Can Tell - Loretta Lynch
thinbluemime
2016-06-24 17:28:36 UTC
You Never Can Tell - Loretta Lynch

Lynch Unsure Of Mateen's Motives, makes a bold fashion statement; 6-21-2=
016

0:06you know whatever you look at someone's motivation or intent whether=
=

they're
0:12living or whether they're dead
0:14you look at their actions and their activities surrounding the event=
=

you
0:18look at what they said
0:19you look at what they did you look at how they behaved and you come =
up =

with
0:23the most reasonable interpretation the one that fits the facts there=
=

and so we
0:28do feel that as we continue to build a timeline and a chronology and=
=

to build
0:34his life that we will be able to determine this
0:37I cannot tell you definitively that we will ever narrow it down to o=
ne
0:40motivation
0:41people often act out of more than one motivation this was clearly an=
=

act of
0:45terror and an act of hate and so we will we will look at all =

motivations and hope
0:51to come to a conclusion there

In early 2014, Mateen was put under surveillance for possible ties with =
=

Abu Salha, the son of a Palestinian father and American mother
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/13/florida-gunman-omar-mateen-ha=
d-been-investigated-for-links-to-us/
http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunmans-wife-talk-attack-officials/story?id=3D3=
9841580

Shortly after Abu-Salha launched his attack in May 2014, Malik heard =

Mateen talk about al-Awlaki's videos. Malik says he then called the FBI.=

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/orlando-shooting-mohammad-malik-man-told-fbi=
-about-omar-mateen-in-2014/

"A Hideous Atrocity": Noam Chomsky on Israel's Assault on Gaza & U.S. =

Support for the Occupation
AUGUST 07, 2014
http://www.democracynow.org/2014/8/7/a_hideous_atrocity_noam_chomsky_on
Hideous. Sadistic. Vicious. Murderous. That is how Noam Chomsky describe=
s =

Israel=E2=80=99s 29-day offensive in Gaza that killed nearly 1,900 peopl=
e and left =

almost 10,000 people injured.

=E2=80=98I=E2=80=99m doing this to protest the U.S. bombing in Syria and=
Iraq and the =

killing of women and children=E2=80=A6 I=E2=80=99m doing this in solidar=
ity with the =

Tsarnaev brothers and Moner Abu-Salha.=E2=80=99=E2=80=9D
http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/law-enforcement-stonewalls-medi=
a-attempts-verify-narrative-orlando-shooters-motives

Orlando gunman=E2=80=99s wife has Palestinian roots, was married before =
in West =

Bank Noor Zahi Salman=E2=80=99s parents listed as being born in =E2=80=98=
Palestine=E2=80=99 =

According to marriage documents on file in the Contra Costa County =

Recorder=E2=80=99s office, Salman was born in the United States while he=
r parents=E2=80=99 =

birthplaces were listed as =E2=80=9CPalestine.=E2=80=9D
http://www.timesofisrael.com/orlando-gunmans-wife-has-palestinian-roots-=
was-married-before-in-west-bank/

Facebook accounts for her relatives show they are Palestinian, the Daily=
=

Beast reported. The Daily Mail obtained photos from inside Mateen's =

apartment, and also reported that Salman is a second-generation American=
, =

born to a well-heeled Palestinian family who emigrated to California fro=
m =

the West Bank in the 1970s. And it appears as though Salman had been =

married previously in Palestine
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Portrait-Emerges-of-Noor-Zahi-Salma=
n-of-Rodeo-California-Wife-of-Orlando-Gunman-383000261.html

You Never Can Tell

https://www.dailywire.com/sites/default/files/uploads/2016/06/lynch_orla=
ndo.jpg

thinbluemime
2016-06-24 17:37:01 UTC
On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 13:28:36 -0400, thinbluemime <***@gmail.co=
m> =
Post by thinbluemime
Tsarnaev brothers and Moner Abu-Salha.=E2=80=99=E2=80=9D
http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/law-enforcement-stonewalls-me=
dia-attempts-verify-narrative-orlando-shooters-motives

Omar Mateen, I "heart" Palestine
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2672095.1465846388!/img/http=
Image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/wife14n-6-web.jpg
http://youtu.be/3DRoDPPgWbfXY
thinbluemime
2016-06-24 19:41:45 UTC
On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 13:37:01 -0400, thinbluemime <***@gmail.co=
m> =
Post by thinbluemime
Tsarnaev brothers and Moner Abu-Salha.=E2=80=99=E2=80=9D
http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/law-enforcement-stonewalls-m=
edia-attempts-verify-narrative-orlando-shooters-motives
Omar Mateen, I "heart" Palestine
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2672095.1465846388!/img/ht=
tpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/wife14n-6-web.jpg
Post by thinbluemime
You Never Can Tell
"This was sensitive ground," Hamilton and Kean say in their new book, =

"Without Precedent: The Inside Story of the 9/11 Commission," and some =

commissioners worried "listed U.S. support of Israel as a root cause of =
al =

Qaeda's opposition to the United States indicated that the United States=
=

should reassess that policy."

There is a reason politicians don't want US support of Israel listed as =
a =

root cause of al Qaeda's terrorism. There is a reason politicians don't =
=

want the American people to "reassess that policy." If the public were t=
o =

take a good look at the facts, if they researched what the policies =

actually do to people in the Middle East, they would be horrified. =

Politicians lie to us about "hatred of our freedoms" because they care =

more about serving special interests than about keeping us safe.The =

Commissioners were more interested in playing politics than in fulfillin=
g =

the 9/11 Commission's mandate to "to provide recommendations designed to=
=

guard against future attacks."

These politicians betrayed the American people. Dishonesty about the 9/1=
1 =

motives robs us of the freedom to decide for ourselves if we want to put=
=

our lives at risk over specific foreign policies.

What motivated the 9/11 hijackers to attack the US?
Sep 09, 2006
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/9/9/244452/-
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/voXzVAd6Uec/C-TRyO6RBQAJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/usEqH1V3GlI/4ksbe5ntAAAJ

----------

You Never Can Tell
t***@gmail.com
2017-10-06 12:40:03 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
You Never Can Tell - Loretta Lynch
"A Hideous Atrocity": Noam Chomsky on Israel's Assault on Gaza & U.S.
Support for the Occupation
AUGUST 07, 2014
http://www.democracynow.org/2014/8/7/a_hideous_atrocity_noam_chomsky_on
Hideous. Sadistic. Vicious. Murderous. That is how Noam Chomsky
describes Israel’s 29-day offensive in Gaza that killed nearly 1,900
people and left almost 10,000 people injured.
‘I’m doing this to protest the U.S. bombing in Syria and Iraq and the
killing of women and children… I’m doing this in solidarity with the
Post by thinbluemime
[...]
Despite the huge scale of the attack, why Mr. Paddock carried it out remained a huge and haunting question mark, said Steven B. Wolfson, the district attorney in Clark County, Nev., where the killings occurred. He estimated that in “99 percent of the cases,” the perpetrator of a drastic killing offers some kind of justification, however twisted.

“Most of the time, you don’t defend it, you don’t accept it, but you hear the why,” Mr. Wolfson said in an interview on Thursday.

“I’ve been doing this a long time and I can’t remember another homicide — and then you multiply what I’m about to say by 58 — where you don’t know why.”

Had Mr. Paddock been taken into custody “maybe we would have found out why,” Mr. Wolfson added. “Maybe he would have said, ‘this is the reason why I did it.’ But because he killed himself, we don’t know and it’s frustrating.”

Katherine W. Schweit, a former senior F.B.I. official, co-wrote a lengthy 2013 F.B.I. study that looked at 160 mass shootings in the United States. The study did not specifically examine motivation, but Ms. Schweit said many of the underlying reasons for the shootings were apparent to investigators. “A jilted lover, race or religion, someone who was fired,” she said. “Other times the motive is more elusive. This isn’t the first guy who seemed to have found a target for his anger who we can’t understand where the anger came from. Anger manifests itself in a lot of different ways.”

“I think everyone wants an answer because they are grasping to understand the senselessness of the shooting,” she said. “It reminds me exactly of the conversations we had after 9/11.”

No Manifesto, No Phone Calls: Las Vegas Killer Left Only Cryptic Clues
By JENNIFER MEDINA, ALEXANDER BURNS and ADAM GOLDMAN OCT. 5, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/vegas-motive-mass-shootings.html?_r=0

----------------

t***@gmail.com
2017-10-11 22:43:45 UTC
On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 3:41:49 PM UTC-4, ***@gmail.com wrote:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/a1NznIVDWj4/YW7vAFlrBgAJ
Post by thinbluemime
[...]
IF ISIS WAS BEHIND LAS VEGAS SHOOTING, THERE’S A TERRIFYING REASON IT WON’T PROVE IT YET
BY TOM O'CONNOR ON 10/9/17
http://www.newsweek.com/if-isis-behind-las-vegas-shooting-terrifying-reason-prove-yet-681166

Authorities continue to doubt that the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) was behind last week’s massacre in Las Vegas, despite the jihadis’ persistent claims the shooter acted on their behalf. According to one leading expert’s analysis, however, the conflicting narratives might be playing straight into ISIS’s hands.

Despite digging deep into Stephen Paddock’s background, investigators have struggled to understand what drove the 64-year-old man, who described himself as a “professional gambler,” to slaughter 58 people and injure hundreds more when he opened fire from his 32nd-floor hotel room on crowds attending a country music concert in Las Vegas. Nothing so far has reportedly led them to believe ISIS’s claim that Paddock converted to Islam and acted as “a soldier” of the group’s self-styled caliphate, leaving observers wondering why the global militant group would risk making such an outlandish, intentionally false allegation.

The answer could lie in a larger plot to exploit the U.S.’s already eroding trust in its leadership.

“If Islamic State did indeed cultivate Paddock, as it has claimed was the case, the group surely has some evidence of its engagements with him. If it does, it may be the case the group is waiting on FBI and other agencies to dismiss its claim of responsibility for the Las Vegas attack before posting contradictory evidence online for the world to see,” terrorism analyst Michael S. Smith II tells Newsweek.
Post by thinbluemime
You Never Can Tell
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/voXzVAd6Uec/C-TRyO6RBQAJ
t***@gmail.com
2017-10-14 15:26:28 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
[...]
Post by thinbluemime
You Never Can Tell
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/voXzVAd6Uec/C-TRyO6RBQAJ
Lombardo, had methodically studied mass shootings, including the 2015 terror attack in San Bernardino, Calif., and the Pulse nightclub shooting last year in Orlando, to heed lessons for his own officers.

But one of his biggest concerns as sheriff, he told the Las Vegas Sun in 2015, was a “lone wolf” attacker. “The person here locally that is disgruntled with government, separatist, anarchist, those types of individuals,” Lombardo said. Someone, he said, willing to act “on their own.”

While Lombardo has warned the media and others against speculation, he has been open about his own theories.

After nearly two weeks, police still have no clear motive for one of the worst mass shootings in American history. And as the mystery has deepened about Paddock, who had no record of mental illness or political or religious extremism, Lombardo has openly questioned whether a motive will ever be established.

“There’s a chance we may never know,” he told reporters this week.

Las Vegas sheriff, in emotional press conference, admits he's still searching for answers
Holly Bailey October 13, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas-sheriff-emotional-press-conference-admits-hes-still-searching-answers-203135498.html

----------------

You NEVER Can Tell:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/voXzVAd6Uec/C-TRyO6RBQAJ
t***@gmail.com
2017-10-14 19:46:44 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
[...]
Post by thinbluemime
You Never Can Tell
[...]
Another Shift in Las Vegas Timeline Caps Days of Confusion
By JULIE TURKEWITZ and ADAM GOLDMAN OCT. 13, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/us/las-vegas-timeline.html

The Las Vegas police again revised the timeline of the Oct. 1 shooting at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino

The sheriff said on Friday that he was “absolutely offended” by allegations of incompetence within the department

Sheriff Lombardo said that his team was examining thousands of pieces of evidence

Officials said the F.B.I.’s Counterterrorism Division was handling the investigation because of its experience dealing with mass shootings and terrorism attacks. More than 200 F.B.I. agents and support staff have worked the case. So far, the F.B.I. has conducted hundreds of interviews and investigated 2,000 tips or leads.
t***@gmail.com
2017-10-06 13:25:39 UTC

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunmans-wife-talk-attack-officials/story?id=39841580
Shortly after Abu-Salha launched his attack in May 2014, Malik heard
Mateen talk about al-Awlaki's videos. Malik says he then called the FBI.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/orlando-shooting-mohammad-malik-man-told-fbi-about-omar-mateen-in-2014/
"A Hideous Atrocity": Noam Chomsky on Israel's Assault on Gaza & U.S.
Support for the Occupation
AUGUST 07, 2014
http://www.democracynow.org/2014/8/7/a_hideous_atrocity_noam_chomsky_on
Hideous. Sadistic. Vicious. Murderous. That is how Noam Chomsky describes
Israel’s 29-day offensive in Gaza that killed nearly 1,900 people and left
almost 10,000 people injured.
‘I’m doing this to protest the U.S. bombing in Syria and Iraq and the
killing of women and children… I’m doing this in solidarity with the
Tsarnaev brothers and Moner Abu-Salha.’”
http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/law-enforcement-stonewalls-media-attempts-verify-narrative-orlando-shooters-motives
Orlando gunman’s wife has Palestinian roots, was married before in West
Bank Noor Zahi Salman’s parents listed as being born in ‘Palestine’
According to marriage documents on file in the Contra Costa County
Recorder’s office, Salman was born in the United States while her parents’
birthplaces were listed as “Palestine.”
http://www.timesofisrael.com/orlando-gunmans-wife-has-palestinian-roots-was-married-before-in-west-bank/
Facebook accounts for her relatives show they are Palestinian, the Daily
Beast reported. The Daily Mail obtained photos from inside Mateen's
apartment, and also reported that Salman is a second-generation American,
born to a well-heeled Palestinian family who emigrated to California from
the West Bank in the 1970s. And it appears as though Salman had been
married previously in Palestine
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Portrait-Emerges-of-Noor-Zahi-Salman-of-Rodeo-California-Wife-of-Orlando-Gunman-383000261.html
You Never Can Tell

"Finally, the FBI recognizes that seeking to avoid these tragedies is clearly the best result. The FBI remains dedicated to supporting prevention efforts within all communities affected by these tragedies."

Study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States Between 2000 and 2013
Blair, J. Pete Schweit, Katherine W. 2013-09-16
https://www.hsdl.org/?abstract&did=757920

The goal of the FBI study is to provide federal, state, and local law eforcement with data so they can better understand how to prevent, prepare for, respond to, and recover from these incidents."
t***@gmail.com
2017-10-06 18:45:58 UTC
http://youtu.be/_ItlYcIkU34
http://youtu.be/RoDPPgWbfXY
"Finally, the FBI recognizes that seeking to avoid these tragedies is clearly the best result. The FBI remains dedicated to supporting prevention efforts within all communities affected by these tragedies."
Study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States Between 2000 and 2013
Blair, J. Pete Schweit, Katherine W. 2013-09-16
https://www.hsdl.org/?abstract&did=757920
The goal of the FBI study is to provide federal, state, and local law eforcement with data so they can better understand how to prevent, prepare for, respond to, and recover from these incidents."
HIGHLY SPECULATIVE: If woman 45min before shooting began, told crowd they were all going to die, was a hooker or was informed by hooker of shooting, then the follow dots might connect:

"Officials say Las Vegas prostitutes have provided perhaps the most telling profile of Paddock, known by them as a regular customer, as a cheap man who didn’t display emotion, and about the only clues into a reason for the attack center around Paddock's mental state."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/motive-remains-elusive-days-las-vegas-massacre/story?id=50320760

Las Vegas shooting: Crowd 'warned you're all going to die'
https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/las-vegas-shooting-crowd-warned-youre-all-going-to-die/ar-AAsN1Ca
t***@gmail.com
2017-10-10 12:14:01 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
[...]
Source: The New York Times, The Washington Post
http://theweek.com/5things/729951/las-vegas-police-shift-mass-shooting-timeline-still-have-no-motive

3. Las Vegas police shift mass shooting timeline, still have no motive
Eight days after Stephen Paddock shot nearly 500 people, killing at least 58 of them, investigators still don't have a motive, a "frustrated" Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters on Monday. "This individual purposefully hid his actions leading up to this event, and it is difficult for us to find answers for those actions," he said, and

discovering the motive is "our most important goal."

Lombardo also disclosed that Paddock shot Mandalay Bay security guard Jose Campos six minutes before he opened fire, not three minutes after he stopped shooting.

He said it would be premature to assume that wounding Campos sped up Paddock's mass shooting. Investigators do not know why he stopped firing after 10 minutes, or when he shot himself.
t***@gmail.com
2017-10-14 20:24:43 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
[...]
When Is An Act Of Violence An Act Of Terrorism?
July 17, 2015 EYDER PERALTA
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/17/423881551/when-is-an-act-of-violence-an-act-of-terrorism

"Although acts of war, acts of crime and acts of terror can look very much alike on the surface, they have very different motives, very different reasons for being, and I think that's why people are confused," she says. "They look alike on the surface; they're different underneath."

Motive in Las Vegas shooting remains unclear, FBI says
October 12, 2017
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stephen-paddock-las-vegas-shooting-motive-fbi/

The FBI director said Thursday that investigators haven't yet determined a motive behind the mass shooting at a Las Vegas country music festival

FBI: Las Vegas shooting has no connection with international terrorist group
BY REBECCA SAVRANSKY - 10/02/17
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/353426-fbi-las-vegas-shooting-has-no-connection-with-international-terrorist-group

(Less than 24 hours after the shooting) The FBI said Monday the deadly mass shooting in Las Vegas had no connection with an international terrorist group.

---------------

You Never Can Tell:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/voXzVAd6Uec/C-TRyO6RBQAJ
t***@gmail.com
2018-03-26 12:20:58 UTC

Post by thinbluemime
[...]
Motion reveals Pulse gunman's father was FBI informant
Mark Lehman, Daniel Dahm March 26, 2018
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/noor-salman-trial/motion-reveals-pulse-gunmans-father-was-fbi-informant

ORLANDO, Fla. - Attorneys for Noor Salman are calling for a mistrial after they say new details from prosecutors reveal that Pulse gunman Omar Mateen's father was an FBI source and is currently under a criminal investigation.

According to a motion filed by the defense, prosecutors sent an email on Saturday that stated Seddique Mateen was a confidential FBI source from 2005 through June 2016.
http://youtu.be/RoDPPgWbfXY
Ed Stasiak
2018-03-26 17:55:21 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
According to a motion filed by the defense, prosecutors sent an email on Saturday
that stated Seddique Mateen was a confidential FBI source from 2005 through June
2016.
And I’ll point out that the FBI had been informed about the Florida shooter’s threats
a month or so prior to the shooting by several people, yet did nothing.

But clearly, guns are the problem here…
t***@gmail.com
2018-03-26 18:40:55 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
According to a motion filed by the defense, prosecutors sent an email on Saturday
that stated Seddique Mateen was a confidential FBI source from 2005 through June
2016.
And I’ll point out that the FBI had been informed about the Florida shooter’s threats
a month or so prior to the shooting by several people, yet did nothing.
But clearly, guns are the problem here…
Back in 2001, September 11 if you recall, one of the excuses for not stopping the terrorists attacks was because the the communication channel between different law enforcement agencies was not organized and each agency didn't know what the other agencies knew. After the Patriot Act was passed, this confused communication was centralized so the database was available to all law enforcement.

Fifteen years later, after the Florida shooting, a FBI official said they missed the Florida warning calls locally because the calls went to a central call center somewhere in VA or WVA.

Seems to always be an excuse ... and informants no one hears.

Of course critics like BTR1701 and others will claim these are just wild crazy conspiracy theories and law enforcement never acts unlawfully, never makes a mistake, like the 150 kill shots, by the FBI which after an internal review by the FBI, were determined to all have been justified.
i***@gmail.com
2018-03-26 17:57:51 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
[...]
Post by thinbluemime
http://youtu.be/RoDPPgWbfXY
Ah, FYI Boyo, you do know you made 12 posts to yourself?
I mean, there's no one on this thread but you.

Irish Mike
t***@gmail.com
2018-03-26 18:45:46 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
http://youtu.be/RoDPPgWbfXY
Ah, FYI Boyo, you do know you made 12 posts to yourself?
I mean, there's no one on this thread but you.
Irish Mike
It doesn't matter if anyone reads or not. I simply am documenting the event for posterity, like a dancing Israeli.

Have you taken the INTELLIGENCE TEST yet? Are you smarter than a fifth grader in Iraq or Palestine who was left an angry orphan from US or Israeli munitions?

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/books/review/intelligence-test.html
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-06 11:58:48 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
[...]
Everyone Got The Pulse Massacre Story Completely Wrong
By Melissa Jeltsen 04/04/2018
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/noor-salman-pulse-massacre-wrong_us_5ac29ebae4b04646b6454dc2?u4s

Every mass tragedy begets a frantic search for answers, for a common understanding of what happened, for a narrative, and the 2016 Pulse massacre was no different.

Not long after Omar Mateen opened fire inside a bustling gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, the media scrambled to understand his depraved actions. Almost overnight, a narrative emerged that until now has been impossible to dislodge: Mateen planned and executed an attack on Pulse because he hated gay people.

“Let’s say it plainly: This was a mass slaying aimed at LGBT people,” Tim Teeman wrote in The Daily Beast. The massacre was “undeniably a homophobic hate crime,” Jeet Heer wrote in The New Republic. Some speculated that Mateen was a closeted gay man. He was likely “trying to reconcile his inner feelings with his strongly homophobic Muslim culture,” James S. Robbins wrote in USA Today.

There was compelling evidence of other motivations. Mateen had pledged allegiance to the self-described Islamic State during the shooting, and explicitly said that he was acting to avenge air strikes in the Middle East. “You have to tell America to stop bombing Syria and Iraq. They are killing a lot of innocent people,” he told a crisis negotiator over the phone while at Pulse. “What am I to do here when my people are getting killed over there. You get what I’m saying?”

But this was a tricky thing to get a handle on — 49 dead and another 53 wounded, so many of them members of a historically marginalized and persecuted group. How could they not have been targeted? To say that the attack was not “rooted in homophobia,” one commenter wrote in USA Today, was to “erase the LGBT community … causing only more pain by invalidating their experiences.”

Over the past two weeks in Orlando, Mateen’s widow, Noor Salman, was tried for having allegedly helped him plan his attack. The popular understanding of the Pulse shooting as a carefully targeted massacre was on trial as well. And in acquitting Salman, 31, on Friday, a jury also delivered a verdict on the story we’d told ourselves about the killings: We’d gotten it wrong.

In the wake of the shooting, the media and public focused on certain details, many of which were later determined to be unfounded, and discounted others, like Mateen’s own explanation for his actions. If Mateen had indeed been motivated by something other than homophobia, the grief and terror of the gay community were no less real and no less urgent for it. But the narrative that was repeated and turned into fact ― that Mateen had picked Pulse because of who its patrons were and what they represented ― had the effect of obscuring another, smaller injustice: the prosecution of Mateen’s wife.

A Muslim woman who by her family’s account was beaten by Mateen, Salman might have been a sympathetic figure in a different context. But I think now of Bob Kunst’s sign. A longtime human rights activist, Kunst was protesting outside the federal courthouse, just two miles from the nightclub where the tragedy occurred, as Salman’s trial began. “‘FRY’ HER,” his sign read, “TILL SHE HAS NO ‘PULSE.’” It didn’t seem to occur to many people that Noor Salman might have been a victim of Mateen, too.

“The media missed the story,” Charles Swift, one of Salman’s lawyers said, “because they depended on the government to tell it to them.”