What Did You Watch? 2018-01-10 (Wednesday)
icebreaker
2018-01-11 11:48:24 UTC
SEAL Team (CBS) -- The Team travels to the Eurasia to retrieve dirty
nucleat bombs the Ukranian mafia supposedly has. They ambush a truck
convoy to find the dirty nucs are really old warheads that for some
reason have to be handled with kid gloves, a task since the roads are
rough. Quite a bit of boring soapy stuff as well.

Chicago PD (NBC) -- Intelligence is trying to locate girls before they
are sold. Burgess works her CI and ends up getting the CI killed.
Upton also works hers, but protects him by not getting info from him
that might locate the girls but cause him to be killed by the baddies
as a snitch. One of the girls dies as they don;t find her in time.
Voight benches Jay and makes him see a therapist.

Burden of Truth (CBC) -- A slick corporate lawyer (Kristen Kreuk)
returns to her small hometown to defend her pharma client when a serum
they manufacture is being blamed for causing seizures in some teen
women. When a old lawyer friend's (Peter Mooney) daughter is also
afflicted who didn't take the serum thereby absolving her client, she
prepares to leave town pulling any monetary offers she made to smooth
things over. Subsequent events cause her to join up with her lawyer
friend to find the cause of the problem.
Ubiquitous
2018-01-11 14:21:54 UTC
After my first(?) workout in 2018, I think I watched:

NOVA:
"Black Hole Apocalypse". I got bored and drowsey watching this, plus that
asshole astronomer famewhore was in it, so I swicthed to

MYTHBUSTERS:
The new guys tried to make a car explode by shooting a flaming arrow at it.
Didn't the original guys do this already? Anyhow, it was lame and I fell
alseep.

2018-01-11 15:16:41 UTC
BLACK MIRROR. The one that was kind of like Star Trek. People here
said it was good, so I rustled me up a copy. I thought it was ...
okay. I did like the way the crew stuck to the internal logic of the
episode as it went about saving itself. The lead actor reminded me
strongly of Philip Seymour Hoffman, with maybe a dash of Matt Damon
thrown in. He was very good. The lead actress was the dead mom from
HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER; I liked her in this. I understand that happy
endings are rare in this series and that this was supposed to be one,
but I don't know what happened to the enemy guy or the monster gal on
the "naked lady" planet. Maybe they're suffering in the dark just like
Daly. And was Daly dead at the end, or just mind-wiped? Will he get
better if they take that thingie off his temple?

THIS IS US. It's been about a month since Kevin's drunken-driving
arrest. Kevin's in rehab, so Nick Burkhardt's aunt has the mom and
triplets all sit together and talk about how they feel. Some stuff
comes out, which seems to help. There's also some very nice work by
Randall's wife as the New Big Three sit together in a bar and drink.

SPEECHLESS. Sub-par episode about a fundraiser at the high school. I
just waited for it to be over.
Connor
2018-01-11 17:00:10 UTC
THIS IS US. It's been about a month since Kevin's drunken-driving
arrest. Kevin's in rehab, so Nick Burkhardt's aunt has the mom and
triplets all sit together and talk about how they feel. Some stuff
comes out, which seems to help. There's also some very nice work by
Randall's wife as the New Big Three sit together in a bar and drink.
I liked the New Big Three I hope we see them again sometime.

Also we watched Blacklist. I thought the writers forgot about REssler's problem but they finally got back to it. Guess thats the end of that.
Arthur Lipscomb
2018-01-11 14:52:30 UTC
Speechless – “The H-U-S-HUSTLE” – Maya and Jimmy abandon their kids for
several hours in a van while they go off and party.

The Magicians – “The Tales of the Seven Keys” - Pretty good season
premier which sets them every one off on a quest that should last "a
good season."

Law and Order:SVU – “Pathological” - After setting establishing a mother
has been horribly abusing her young daughter her entire life, they
prosecute the daughter because you know, twists. I think they've pulled
that particular twist several times now.

Major Crimes – “By Any Means: Part 4” - The series finale wraps
everything up with a nice bow.

Infinity Chamber (Netflix streaming) Low budget sci-fi movie about a man
held captive in a room who has to outwit the AI keeping him there in
order to escape. It was OK.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-11 17:05:29 UTC
The Magicians – “The Tales of the Seven Keys” - Pretty good season
premier which sets them every one off on a quest that should last "a
good season."
Is this a place for a new viewer to start?
2018-01-11 23:38:00 UTC
The Magicians – “The Tales of the Seven Keys” - Pretty good season
premier which sets them every one off on a quest that should last "a
good season."
Is this a place for a new viewer to start?
Let me answer it this way, when the episode began, I had *no* memory of
how the last season ended. I quickly got up to speed and saw that they
were dealing with the aftermath from last season when they killed a god,
and as a result some other gods turned off magic on Earth. Some
characters are back on Earth dealing with that while other characters
back in the alternate world (basically Narnia in every way except name)
are dealing with a fairy invasion who are taking advantage of the
humans' lack of magic. I think you could start from hear and follow
along well enough.

I forgot to mention there was a pretty good scene when two characters
were speaking in pop culture code. I didn't realize this at first and
was just listening to them speak, more or less following the
conversation anyway, but not looking at the screen. Then I noticed
there were two different closed captions on the TV. The regular closed
caption and the translation of what they were saying. I went back and
watched it again and it took on a different context. It was a pretty
funny scene. In addition to being a rip off of Narnia (in a good way),
the show is also a rip off (in a good way) during their pop culture code
talk they even referenced the main character as being "Harry Potter." I
think this may have been the first time they acknowledged the obvious
comparisons.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-11 15:21:44 UTC
Post by icebreaker
SEAL Team (CBS) -- The Team travels to the Eurasia to retrieve dirty
nucleat bombs the Ukranian mafia supposedly has. They ambush a truck
convoy to find the dirty nucs are really old warheads that for some
reason have to be handled with kid gloves, a task since the roads are
rough. Quite a bit of boring soapy stuff as well.
This episode seemed to defer Mandy "smoochies" for Angel, which did not
please me... :/
2018-01-11 15:46:12 UTC

Chicago Med (recorded) - "Mountains and Molehills", the episode from
*last* week.
Wait! "Tick paralysis" is a *thing*?! Yikes! Meanwhile, Noah Sexton
loses his first patient, in a development anyone could see coming a
mile away. Goodwyn cleverly manipulates a patient to get the treatment
she needs. And Sarah Reese is acting crazier and crazier - next
episode, somebody is going to get benched, so I'm assuming it will be
Reese.
No Ava Bekker in this one which was a relief.

soaps: DOOL - If they think this new storyline with Vivian and "Stefan"
is compelling, they're dead wrong - this episode, they drag Gabi into
it. [SNORE!]
GH - This was mostly prospective mayor drama, IIRC.

Forsaken (iTunes) - I followed up Tuesday's "Sadie's Last Days on
Earth" with Morgan Taylor Campbell's recent "drama" flick.
This was a modern "retelling" (really more like "based on") of
"Macbeth", but set in the world of teens and (Texas?) high school
football. It was produced by Mar Vista, which leads me to think that
they made it with Lifetime in mind... and Lifetime must have said "No!"
While Campbell is decent in this (though not as good as in
"Sadie's..."), this wasn't very good. The worst angle of all was the
*complete rewriting* the ending of "Macbeth" to give these creepy kids
a "happy"(?!) ending. (The movie also basically ignores the original
theme of Macbeth as well...) What rubbish!

LA to Vegas (recorded) - "Pilot". I gather this was mostly hated around
here, though I didn't think the pilot was too bad - there were some
funny moments: for example, I liked the captain taking down Freddy
Benson from "iCarly". I do question the wisdom of making the
stripper/hooker part of the main cast, though... Anyway, I'd probably
watch this again, though I won't go out of my way to watch it.

The Blacklist - "The Informant". The "Lizzie tracking down the people
that murdered Tom" parts of this episode were enjoyable - however, it
was disappointing that Lizzie let the guy at the end get the jump on
her so easily... :/ The "Ressler is still being blackmailed by the
Cleaner Dude" parts were not enjoyable, at least until Red showed up to
bail him out.

SEAL Team - Covered by Ice. The interesting part of this episode was
Daniella Alonso playing the nuclear physicist Doc.

Chicago P.D. - Also covered by Ice. This was a weird episode - I
wondered at several points whether Burgess and
she-who-smiles-inappropriately were going to come to blows... But then
they were all "buddy-buddy" at the end (pukeworthy!). Madalyn Horcher,
who has shown up in several things I've watched lately shows up in this
as the (stupid!) hooker they're trying to save...

Recorded for later: Lots! (for this time of the year!) - The
Librarians, Vikings, and The Magicians (season premiere!!).
2018-01-11 16:12:53 UTC
Chicago P.D. - Also covered by Ice. This was a weird episode - I
wondered at several points whether Burgess and
she-who-smiles-inappropriately were going to come to blows... But then
they were all "buddy-buddy" at the end (pukeworthy!).
And then there was a hint that Inappropriate Smiler was asking Burgess
out on a date.
She was pretty cute for a street whore, though. Only on TV...
anim8rfsk
2018-01-11 17:04:19 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Madalyn Horcher, who has shown up in several things I've watched
lately shows up in this as the (stupid!) hooker they're trying to save...
She was pretty cute for a street whore, though. Only on TV...
Come on, street whores in Hollywood (granted I haven't been there in 20
years) were attractive as Hell. I was told they were failed actresses,
and this was probably their first night hooking, but still ...
2018-01-11 18:39:08 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Madalyn Horcher, who has shown up in several things I've watched
lately shows up in this as the (stupid!) hooker they're trying to save...
She was pretty cute for a street whore, though. Only on TV...
Come on, street whores in Hollywood (granted I haven't been there in 20
years) were attractive as Hell. I was told they were failed actresses,
and this was probably their first night hooking, but still ...
They're more likely to be trans-testicles these days with all the wrong
equipment under their mini-skirts.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-11 21:13:31 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Madalyn Horcher, who has shown up in several things I've watched
lately shows up in this as the (stupid!) hooker they're trying to save...
She was pretty cute for a street whore, though. Only on TV...
Come on, street whores in Hollywood (granted I haven't been there in 20
years) were attractive as Hell. I was told they were failed actresses,
and this was probably their first night hooking, but still ...
They're more likely to be trans-testicles these days with all the wrong
equipment under their mini-skirts.
Ick. I miss the days when you could tell the trannys at a glance.
2018-01-11 17:02:12 UTC
Chicago Med (recorded) - "Mountains and Molehills", the episode from
LA to Vegas (recorded) - "Pilot". I gather this was mostly hated around
here, though I didn't think the pilot was too bad - there were some
funny moments: for example, I liked the captain taking down Freddy
Benson from "iCarly". I do question the wisdom of making the
stripper/hooker part of the main cast, though...
Apparently she lives in L.A. and flies to Vega$ every weekend to strip.

Anyway, I'd probably
Post by Ian J. Ball
watch this again, though I won't go out of my way to watch it.
And the next one won't be half as good.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Recorded for later: Lots! (for this time of the year!) - The
Librarians,
LIBES!!!1!!

You're gonna like this one a lot.
David Barnett
2018-01-11 21:25:28 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
***@nowhere.com says...

On Wed Jan 10 I watched:

MURDOCH MYSTERIES: 21 Murdoch Street
I thought this a bit better episode.
Brackenreid's son John features.

CRIMINAL MINDS: Neon Terror/False Flag
2 new episodes for us,
Usually our Channel 7 airs 1 new & 1 repeat.
So we are catching up.
Both just average imo.
David Barnett
Neill Massello
2018-01-11 22:18:32 UTC
Post by icebreaker
SEAL Team (CBS) -- The Team travels to the Eurasia to retrieve dirty
nucleat bombs the Ukranian mafia supposedly has. They ambush a truck
convoy to find the dirty nucs are really old warheads that for some
reason have to be handled with kid gloves, a task since the roads are
rough. Quite a bit of boring soapy stuff as well.
Weakest episode of the series to date. It would have been better if
they'd just gone ahead and made the whole ep an homage to Wages of Fear
(1953) and Sorcerer (1977), which is what it looked like it was going to
be during the first half hour.

(They were actually supposed to be operating in Moldova. Any resemblance
to California is mere coincidence.)
Jim G.
2018-01-13 20:25:43 UTC

THE X-FILES / 11x02 / This

[An old friend reaches out to Mulder and Scully in a seemingly
impossible way, revealing a chilling secret.]

"Scully, you looked so adorbs just there. All curled up in a ball in the
booth of a skanky bar with your fingers wrapped around the grip of an
assassin's Glock."

Richard Langly channels Max Headroom in the X-Files version of brain
uploading which, of course, includes a healthy dose of shadowy
conspiracy stuff. Not bad, but not really original at this point,
either. Heck, the great William Gibson did variations of it twice in
episodes that he wrote back in '98 and 2000.

On the practical side, Mulder and Scully take down two separate bad guys
and in both cases fail to completely incapacitate the guys, and in both
cases those guys cause them more trouble as a result. You'd sorta think
that they'd have learned by now. Nevertheless, this was a significant
improvement over the season premiere, with more humor and none of the
clunky dialogue or excessive exposition.

Grade: B

THE LIBRARIANS / 4x08 / And the Hidden Sanctuary

[After Cassandra freezes up during a mission, she decides it’s past time
to go on a vacation. Searching for her ideal town, she lands on
Havenport, the “Safest Town in America.” At first blush, it seems just
what she needed, but is there always a price to pay for unrealistic
peace of mind?]

Cassandra is stressed out and needs some down time in order to
recalibrate, so she heads off to the Norman Rockwell-ian town of
Havenport, OH, the safest place in America. But looks can be deceiving,
and it turns out to be safe because a local guy imprisoned a fairy to
make it so. And now the fairy is loose. And unhappy. And not thinking of
Norman Rockwell. A solid outing all around with Cassandra at her most
likable.

Grade: B

THE MAGICIANS / 3x01 / The Tales of the Seven Keys

[Quentin tries to find someone who can bring magic back; Julia explores
her small, but significant gift; Eliot and Margo struggle under the
hostile fairy occupation; Kady searches for a way to heal Penny.]

"Every bunny for itself, Majesty."

The good news is that I'm seeing plenty of interesting possibilities as
far as plot advancements are concerned as season three begins. The bad
news is that the whole Evil Fairies occupation story line is boring me
to tears at the moment. Still, the coded message exchange in this one
was a thing of beauty and worth the price of admission all on its own.

Grade: B-
"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE
Ian J. Ball
2018-01-13 21:05:58 UTC
Post by Jim G.
THE MAGICIANS / 3x01 / The Tales of the Seven Keys
[Quentin tries to find someone who can bring magic back; Julia explores
her small, but significant gift; Eliot and Margo struggle under the
hostile fairy occupation; Kady searches for a way to heal Penny.]
"Every bunny for itself, Majesty."
The good news is that I'm seeing plenty of interesting possibilities as
far as plot advancements are concerned as season three begins. The bad
news is that the whole Evil Fairies occupation story line is boring me
to tears at the moment. Still, the coded message exchange in this one
was a thing of beauty and worth the price of admission all on its own.
Grade: B-
I liked the Bunnygrams even more than that!! :)
Jim G.
2018-01-15 18:26:46 UTC
Post by Jim G.
THE MAGICIANS / 3x01 / The Tales of the Seven Keys
[Quentin tries to find someone who can bring magic back; Julia explores
her small, but significant gift; Eliot and Margo struggle under the
hostile fairy occupation; Kady searches for a way to heal Penny.]
"Every bunny for itself, Majesty."
The good news is that I'm seeing plenty of interesting possibilities as
far as plot advancements are concerned as season three begins. The bad
news is that the whole Evil Fairies occupation story line is boring me
to tears at the moment. Still, the coded message exchange in this one
was a thing of beauty and worth the price of admission all on its own.
Grade: B-
I liked the Bunnygrams even more than that!! :)
The bunnies had an unfair advantage. Being bunnies, and all that.