Games of Thrones recap--'Spoils of War' (SPOILERS!)
Add Reply
h***@bbs.cpcn.com
2017-08-07 18:05:53 UTC
!

Lady Olenna Tyrell (Diana Rigg) didn’t live to see it, but
Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) channeled her inner dragon
Sunday, climbing aboard one of her scaly babies and taking
viewers for quite a ride.

full article at
http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/television/game-of-thrones-recap-spoils-of-war-episode-704-20170807.html
Ed Stasiak
2017-08-07 20:13:31 UTC
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
Lady Olenna Tyrell (Diana Rigg) didn’t live to see it, but
Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) channeled her inner
dragon Sunday, climbing aboard one of her scaly babies
and taking viewers for quite a ride.
The dragon attack scene was quite good but the rest of the
episode was predictably shitty.
EGK
2017-08-07 20:15:47 UTC
Lady Olenna Tyrell (Diana Rigg) didn’t live to see it, but
Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) channeled her inner
dragon Sunday, climbing aboard one of her scaly babies
and taking viewers for quite a ride.
The dragon attack scene was quite good but the rest of the
episode was predictably shitty.
Yup. The only saving grace is the TV show is way better than the books and
they'll at least finish the story before we all die.
Ed Stasiak
2017-08-07 20:23:02 UTC
EGK
Ed Stasiak
The dragon attack scene was quite good but the rest of the
episode was predictably shitty.
Yup.  The only saving grace is the TV show is way better than
the books
Blasphemer!
and they'll at least finish the story before we all die.
True…
The Horny Goat
2017-08-08 05:26:01 UTC
Post by EGK
Yup. The only saving grace is the TV show is way better than the books and
they'll at least finish the story before we all die.
Not hard to accomplish when book 6 was supposed to be out 3 years ago
and isn't.

In other words, TV seasons 6 and 7 are out and coming out while book 6
isn't. It's easy to look good under those circumstances!
A Friend
2017-08-08 10:29:58 UTC
Post by EGK
Yup. The only saving grace is the TV show is way better than the books and
they'll at least finish the story before we all die.
Not hard to accomplish when book 6 was supposed to be out 3 years ago
and isn't.
In other words, TV seasons 6 and 7 are out and coming out while book 6
isn't. It's easy to look good under those circumstances!
I think George R.R. Martin must be so thoroughly blocked at this point
that someone may have to finish the books for him. The stress on
Martin must be incredible. His publisher must be after him like a
rabid dog. (Note that the TV people pretty much said "Enough of this
shit, we're moving on." That could not have helped. When the TV
series ends, within the next two or three years, interest in the books
will fall off considerably.)

I've never seen the show or read the books, and I don't care about any
of it. I do feel sorry, though, for a writer who's been transformed
into damaged goods, the victim of his own success.

Yes, he probably has lots of money, but I wonder if he sleeps at night.
shawn
2017-08-08 11:00:12 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
That blockage problem seems to be a common one among writers that try
their hand at long series. I know David Gerrold has had issues with
his Cthon series and the same was true with Gordon R Dickson and his
Dorsai series. Both went at great speed at first (much like with
George R.R. Martin) but slowed down as the series dragged on. While
they had pressure on them from the fans and likely their publisher I'm
sure it's nothing like what Martin has been getting.
Ed Stasiak
2017-08-08 19:43:08 UTC
Yes, he probably has lots of money, but I wonder if he sleeps at night.
That blockage problem seems to be a common one among writers that
try their hand at long series.
GRRM doesn’t have writers block, he’s pissing away all kinda time going
to conventions, writing other books, (Wildcards series) shitposting about
the NY Jets, etc.

I’m hoping the long delay is because he’s so disgusted with the shitty tv
show that he’s purposely holding back on releasing Book #6 until the show
is over, where we’ll discover that the actual story is nothing like the retarded
story we got with the tv series.

Or, he might just copy the tv show and claim those were his ideas all along….
A Friend
2017-08-08 20:45:38 UTC
GRRM doesn’t have writers block, he’s pissing away all kinda time going
to conventions, writing other books, (Wildcards series) shitposting about
the NY Jets, etc.
Those are exactly the kinds of things you do when you're blocked on a
project.
shawn
2017-08-08 23:18:47 UTC
GRRM doesn’t have writers block, he’s pissing away all kinda time going
to conventions, writing other books, (Wildcards series) shitposting about
the NY Jets, etc.
Those are exactly the kinds of things you do when you're blocked on a
project.
Exactly. It's just what happened with the other authors that I
mentioned. They still had plenty of output. It's just that none of it
was part of the main series they were working on. Which I've always
taken to be a sign of being blocked.
Jim G.
2017-08-11 17:44:34 UTC
Yes, he probably has lots of money, but I wonder if he sleeps at night.
That blockage problem seems to be a common one among writers that
try their hand at long series.
GRRM doesn’t have writers block, he’s pissing away all kinda time going
to conventions, writing other books, (Wildcards series) shitposting about
the NY Jets, etc.
That right there. That is *exactly* the problem. He fell in love with
all of the attention and it became something like a drug.
Post by Ed Stasiak
http://s3.amazonaws.com/images.hitfix.com/assets/10049/grrmgraph.jpg
I’m hoping the long delay is because he’s so disgusted with the shitty tv
show
You're looping again.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
tenworld
2017-08-11 14:07:59 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
David Brin had the same problem and then he announced in his last book
stating its not his responsibility to actually finish the story.

The Name of the Wind is a more recent example although Rothfuss might still
come through. He might be waiting for HBO to call.
BTR1701
2017-08-11 16:03:27 UTC
Post by tenworld
Post by EGK
[...]
King had the opposite 'problem' with his DARK TOWER saga. After all seven
books were done, he couldn't stop and started writing prequel and ancillary
stories.
Post by tenworld
Post by shawn
I know David Gerrold has had issues with
his Cthon series and the same was true with Gordon R Dickson and his
Dorsai series. Both went at great speed at first (much like with
George R.R. Martin) but slowed down as the series dragged on. While
they had pressure on them from the fans and likely their publisher I'm
sure it's nothing like what Martin has been getting.
David Brin had the same problem and then he announced in his last book
stating its not his responsibility to actually finish the story.
That's ridiculous. It's absolutely a professional author's responsibility
to finish a story. The book is his product and delivery only half a product
is doing a half-ass job and his customers will rightly react accordingly.
Jim G.
2017-08-11 17:44:13 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by Ed Stasiak
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
Lady Olenna Tyrell (Diana Rigg) didn’t live to see it, but
Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) channeled her inner
dragon Sunday, climbing aboard one of her scaly babies
and taking viewers for quite a ride.
The dragon attack scene was quite good but the rest of the
episode was predictably shitty.
Yup. The only saving grace is the TV show is way better than the books and
they'll at least finish the story before we all die.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Your a meen won. :)
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
David Barnett
2017-08-07 22:31:36 UTC
Lady Olenna Tyrell (Diana Rigg) didn?t live to see it, but
Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) channeled her inner
dragon Sunday, climbing aboard one of her scaly babies
and taking viewers for quite a ride.
The dragon attack scene was quite good but the rest of the
episode was predictably shitty.
I agree a little with that.
David Barnett
alvey
2017-08-07 20:37:10 UTC
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
!
Lady Olenna Tyrell (Diana Rigg) didn’t live to see it, but
Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) channeled her inner dragon
Sunday, climbing aboard one of her scaly babies and taking
viewers for quite a ride.
Questions on the dragons:

1. How does Dany actually pilot the dragons?

2. And how does she 'tell' them when to 'fire up'?

alvey
Also noting that if Jamie drowns then Cercei will never know that Olenna
poisoned Joffrey. Ripping episode, despite the total lack of nudity.
Ed Stasiak
2017-08-07 21:40:42 UTC
Post by alvey
alvey
1. How does Dany actually pilot the dragons?
It’s never explained but in the books, there’s a “connection”
between a dragon and its rider (i.e. magic).
Post by alvey
2. And how does she 'tell' them when to 'fire up'?
She says “dracarys” and it breaths fire and presumably the
magical connection lets it know what to breath fire on.
Jim G.
2017-08-11 17:45:05 UTC
Post by alvey
alvey
1. How does Dany actually pilot the dragons?
It’s never explained but in the books, there’s a “connection”
between a dragon and its rider (i.e. magic).
With attention to detail and expanded explanations like this, you're
making me realize why the books aren't shitty while the show is.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
Ed Stasiak
2017-08-11 20:24:21 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Jim G.
Ed Stasiak
It’s never explained but in the books, there’s a “connection”
between a dragon and its rider (i.e. magic).
With attention to detail and expanded explanations like this, you're
making me realize why the books aren't shitty while the show is.
It’s a fantasy story, not a doctoral thesis, there’s no need to explain
how riders control dragons (in the books or the shitty tv show).
Jim G.
2017-08-12 00:10:56 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Jim G.
Ed Stasiak
It’s never explained but in the books, there’s a “connection”
between a dragon and its rider (i.e. magic).
With attention to detail and expanded explanations like this, you're
making me realize why the books aren't shitty while the show is.
It’s a fantasy story, not a doctoral thesis, there’s no need to explain
how riders control dragons (in the books or the shitty tv show).
Yes, I can see how GRRM would want to streamline the explanation for the
dragons here just as he's streamlined everything else in the books. He
doesn't want to lose his reputation for tight writing, after all.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
Connor
What's to explain? It's like having a dog that likes you best.
Ed Stasiak
2017-08-12 09:33:08 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Jim G.
Ed Stasiak
It’s a fantasy story, not a doctoral thesis, there’s no need to explain
how riders control dragons (in the books or the shitty tv show).
Yes, I can see how GRRM would want to streamline the explanation
for the dragons here just as he's streamlined everything else in the
books. He doesn't want to lose his reputation for tight writing, after all.
The books can hardly be called “streamlined”, each is 1000+ pages
and he’s done a great job at extensive world building but again; GoT
is a fantasy story, (with very little magic, in fact) just like LotR, where
Tolkien didn’t explain how the One Ring made people invisible, it just
did because its magical.

It’s the shitty tv show that has been streamlined, cutting most of the
original story only to replace it with stupid original content cooked up
by the talentless producers simply to get a “cool” scene.