The Orville is not a comedy.
Add Reply
Shadow
2017-10-12 00:28:54 UTC
It's Star Trek TOS all over again.

Seems the director or whatever actually listened to the
public. Sure, there's a sprinkling of "human rights" or "animal
rights" and "political correctness" and the good doctor is obnoxious,
but it's not a total waste of time ....
I'm glad I watched the second episode.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
junebug
It's a lot better than I expected. It's like TNG with an attitude.
Shadow
2017-10-12 15:08:11 UTC
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 21:42:01 -0700 (PDT), junebug
Post by junebug
Post by Shadow
It's Star Trek TOS all over again.
Seems the director or whatever actually listened to the
public. Sure, there's a sprinkling of "human rights" or "animal
rights" and "political correctness" and the good doctor is obnoxious,
but it's not a total waste of time ....
I'm glad I watched the second episode.
It's a lot better than I expected.
And improving ....
Post by junebug
It's like TNG with an attitude.
Funny you should say that. I never got past the first few
episodes of TNG because of it's rather strong "attitude".
"Attitude" as in "What would a moron do if faced with this
situation ? "
;)
[]'s
junebug
Good point. TNG took itself far too seriously. The more irreverent Orville can't be accused of that.
A Friend
2017-10-13 02:48:24 UTC
Post by junebug
It's like TNG with an attitude.
Funny you should say that. I never got past the first few
episodes of TNG because of it's rather strong "attitude".
"Attitude" as in "What would a moron do if faced with this
situation ? "
It's not like TNG at all. That's the whole point. It's Trek Classic.
In other words, it's *fun*.
Bill Steele
2017-10-16 21:20:16 UTC
It's not like TNG at all. That's the whole point. It's Trek Classic.
In other words, it's*fun*.
The plots could be classic Trek plots and even the music matches. The
alien makeup looks like an exageration of Federation-style aliens: all
lines on the forehead and funny ears.

As I said before I think they set out to make a parody and pulled back,
but left in some of the jokes. I think the best description would be
"tongue in cheek." Last episode had a serious moral dilemma about
protecting children in war -- all wrapped up in wisecracks by the two
guys disguised as Krill trying not to be caught. Previous week a problem
about time travel changing history, while a guy gets his leg cut off as
a practical joke (a joke you could only have with science fictional
medicine).

Maybe somebody should ask MacFarlane.

Have you noticed that from the back the ship looks like a big grin?
Dimensional Traveler
2017-10-16 21:44:39 UTC
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
I started watching back episodes of Orville over the weekend. It
strikes me as "Trek crewed by Star Trek fans". :) I don't feel they've
got the right mix of drama and humor but they're close and the show is
much better than most on broadcast currently and massively better than I
expected it to be, especially considering that Brannon Braga is an
Executive Producer. O_O
instinct are running screaming.
Obveeus
Dimensional Traveler has been assimilated.
Dimensional Traveler
2017-10-17 00:06:13 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
I know and its as horrible as I thought it would be.
instinct are running screaming.
shawn
2017-10-17 00:10:12 UTC
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:06:13 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by Obveeus
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
If Braga is listed as Executive Producer doesn't that likely mean he
was just a money man that connected the studio with the money people.
So he may have little to nothing to do with the actual production of
the show.
anim8rfsk
2017-10-17 00:57:32 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
No. He's directing the damn thing. It's why I didn't even give it a
sample.
Obveeus
2017-10-17 03:13:59 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
He is only listed (IMDB) as directing one episode for the season. You
are missing a good show.
anim8rfsk
2017-10-17 03:20:50 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
No, I'm not. Zero tolerance.
Obveeus
2017-10-17 03:25:15 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
Couldn't you just skip the episode where they argue about sex
reassignment surgery?
shawn
2017-10-17 08:14:56 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Obveeus
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
Yep, skip that episode if you want to avoid Braga, but do watch the
show. It's Star Trek done mostly the right way under a different name.
A Friend
2017-10-17 11:52:21 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
Yes, you are. This is a good show, anim. I'm surprised as hell, but
it is.
David Johnston
2017-10-17 03:17:24 UTC
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
People are unreasonable about Braga. Sure he was there for the low
points of Star Trek's revival. But he was also there for the high points.
Adam H. Kerman
Which one was that?
suzeeq
I thought it looks like a flying toilet seat.
Jim G.
2017-10-16 23:23:39 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
Post by A Friend
[...]
You're both right. It's a pottymouth!!!

[Insert comments about schedule, veal, and gratuities here.]
"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE
BTR1701
Heh, yeah now that you mention it...
Rhino
2017-10-17 01:48:46 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
I hadn't thought of it that way but now that you mention it, I can see
it. The three curved shapes at the back and like the lid, the seat, and
the top of the bowl; even the empty space that they wrap around is
round, just like a toilet.... It's as if some giant figure should be
sitting atop the highest ring preparing to poop into the space within
the rings....
2017-10-17 02:17:47 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
Right on top of the shuttle pods as they come out.

(Seriously, that's a really BAD place to put the shuttle bay.)
instinct are running screaming.
suzeeq
It was the first thing that I thought of when I first saw it.
David Johnston
2017-10-17 03:21:46 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
I always thought the Excelsior was toilet shaped what that bowl shaped
main body.
b***@gmail.com
And will another ship be named Redenbacher?
Adam H. Kerman
The one that killed George in Dead Like Me?
suzeeq
Updated a little.
moviePig
2017-10-17 14:36:40 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
NSFW:

( http://tinyurl.com/y7o5fhkn )
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
BTR1701
2017-10-17 17:46:09 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--n5H3Hwdf--/c_fit,fl_progr
essive,q_80,w_320/vpj7em9ypb8vf5lizrsq.jpg
( http://tinyurl.com/y7o5fhkn )
Why would that be not safe for work?
moviePig
2017-10-17 20:13:41 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
It was a quasi-sexual joke, from a male to one the NG's few females. I
thought at least a perfunctory warning might be in order.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Your Name
2017-10-18 00:46:43 UTC
<snip>
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
Have you noticed that from the back the ship looks like a big grin?
I thought it looks like a flying toilet seat.
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--n5H3Hwdf--/c_fit,fl_progr
essive,q_80,w_320/vpj7em9ypb8vf5lizrsq.jpg
( http://tinyurl.com/y7o5fhkn )
Why would that be not safe for work?
It was a quasi-sexual joke, from a male to one the NG's few females. I
thought at least a perfunctory warning might be in order.
These days such things will get you slapped with a "sexual harassment"
lawsuit or an "encouragement" speech by your boss / teacher to attend a
course to learn about what you are and aren't allowed to do and say.
Obveeus
2017-10-18 02:09:38 UTC
Post by Your Name
<snip>
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
Have you noticed that from the back the ship looks like a big grin?
I thought it looks like a flying toilet seat.
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--n5H3Hwdf--/c_fit,fl_progr
essive,q_80,w_320/vpj7em9ypb8vf5lizrsq.jpg
( http://tinyurl.com/y7o5fhkn )
Why would that be not safe for work?
It was a quasi-sexual joke, from a male to one the NG's few females.
I thought at least a perfunctory warning might be in order.
These days such things will get you slapped with a "sexual harassment"
lawsuit or an "encouragement" speech by your boss / teacher to attend a
course to learn about what you are and aren't allowed to do and say.
The same gadget was also featured in last night's episode of THE GOOD
DOCTOR, although there it was made of transparent material, so as to be
much more useful. The show didn't even seem to need a NSFW disclaimer.
Imagine that.
Shadow
2017-10-18 17:51:35 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Your Name
<snip>
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
They are disposable. Have been for a long time. Like syringes
and needles.
In the good old days we would "sterilize" everything in a
pressure cooker for re-use.
FWIW
[]'s
Ubiquitous
2017-10-18 18:21:40 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Bill Steele
[...]
Duh, because it's a wine bottle opener!!
2017-10-17 02:23:38 UTC
Post by Bill Steele
Post by A Friend
[...]
I pointed that out after the first ep. To me, it looks like the Joker
laughing. (Somebody else said it looks like a toilet seat. Could be.)

I was a little surprised by the revelation that McFarlane was going for
TNG here. The show plays and feels like Trek Classic to me, but who am
I to argue?
b***@gmail.com
2017-10-16 21:55:12 UTC
It's not like TNG at all. That's the whole point. It's Trek Classic.
In other words, it's*fun*.
Right on the money! How could you not notice?
Especially with all the casts' silly smiles or sarcastic frowns. You' never see that that often on the Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5 series.
Rhino
2017-10-17 01:44:56 UTC
Post by junebug
It's like TNG with an attitude.
Funny you should say that. I never got past the first few
episodes of TNG because of it's rather strong "attitude".
"Attitude" as in "What would a moron do if faced with this
situation ? "
It's not like TNG at all. That's the whole point. It's Trek Classic.
In other words, it's *fun*.
The Orville is as if *all* of the episodes from the original Star trek
were in the same vein as A Piece of The Action, The Trouble with
Tribbles, and the other comedic episodes.
2017-10-17 02:29:14 UTC
Post by junebug
It's like TNG with an attitude.
Funny you should say that. I never got past the first few
episodes of TNG because of it's rather strong "attitude".
"Attitude" as in "What would a moron do if faced with this
situation ? "
It's not like TNG at all. That's the whole point. It's Trek Classic.
In other words, it's *fun*.
The Orville is as if *all* of the episodes from the original Star trek
were in the same vein as A Piece of The Action, The Trouble with
Tribbles, and the other comedic episodes.
There is, however, some serious stuff going on here. The ending to the
last one, about them stealing the aliens' sacred book, was actually
chilling. Earlier, the other aliens went ahead with the baby's
sex-change operation. (Not the same thing, but I liked the serious
turn in the "Nightfall" episode, too.) Those lighter Trek episodes you
mentioned were goofy fun through and through, not that I minded that.

This is a good series on its own terms.
anim8rfsk
2017-10-17 03:01:34 UTC
Post by junebug
It's like TNG with an attitude.
Funny you should say that. I never got past the first few
episodes of TNG because of it's rather strong "attitude".
"Attitude" as in "What would a moron do if faced with this
situation ? "
It's not like TNG at all. That's the whole point. It's Trek Classic.
In other words, it's *fun*.
The Orville is as if *all* of the episodes from the original Star trek
were in the same vein as A Piece of The Action, The Trouble with
Tribbles, and the other comedic episodes.
"Star Trek doesn't *do* comedy" - Little Freddy Frieberger

Oh yes, remember near the end of 'Star Trek: Insurrection', Counselor Tori said: 'Have you noticed how your boobs have started to firm up?' Then Dr. Crusher said: 'Not that we care about such things'?
David Johnston
None of those episodes had sad endings.
Barry Margolin
2017-10-17 15:08:57 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by junebug
It's like TNG with an attitude.
  Funny you should say that. I never got past the first few
episodes of TNG because of it's rather strong "attitude".
  "Attitude" as in "What would a moron do if faced with this
situation ? "
It's not like TNG at all.  That's the whole point.  It's Trek Classic.
In other words, it's *fun*.
The Orville is as if *all* of the episodes from the original Star trek
were in the same vein as A Piece of The Action, The Trouble with
Tribbles, and the other comedic episodes.
None of those episodes had sad endings.
Tribbles does if you view it from the Klingon ship's perspective.
--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA
b***@gmail.com
2017-10-17 15:23:53 UTC
Post by junebug
It's like TNG with an attitude.
Funny you should say that. I never got past the first few
episodes of TNG because of it's rather strong "attitude".
"Attitude" as in "What would a moron do if faced with this
situation ? "
It's not like TNG at all. That's the whole point. It's Trek Classic.
In other words, it's *fun*.
The Orville is as if *all* of the episodes from the original Star trek
were in the same vein as A Piece of The Action, The Trouble with
Tribbles, and the other comedic episodes.
None of those episodes had sad endings.
All Star Trek Series had at least some sad episodes
(where ships, stations and people couldn"t make it out alive or in working condition ever again).
Jim G.
2017-10-17 03:51:10 UTC
Post by junebug
It's like TNG with an attitude.
Funny you should say that. I never got past the first few
episodes of TNG because of it's rather strong "attitude".
"Attitude" as in "What would a moron do if faced with this
situation ? "
It's not like TNG at all. That's the whole point. It's Trek Classic.
In other words, it's *fun*.
The Orville is as if *all* of the episodes from the original Star trek
were in the same vein as A Piece of The Action, The Trouble with
Tribbles, and the other comedic episodes.
That's a really good way of looking at it. With the humor updated for
the times, of course.
b***@gmail.com
2017-10-16 22:21:54 UTC
Post by Shadow
It's Star Trek TOS all over again.
Seems the director or whatever actually listened to the
public. Sure, there's a sprinkling of "human rights" or "animal
rights" and "political correctness" and the good doctor is obnoxious,
but it's not a total waste of time ....
I'm glad I watched the second episode.
But still, despite your plea, the 'Orville's' ratings have already plummeted past STD's.