Blue Bloods is SF - Who Knew?
Rhino
2013-04-13 15:18:12 UTC
Okay, I'm not really being serious. I don't consider Blue Bloods to be
science fiction. But last night's episode did strongly suggest the story
was taking place in the (near) future.

In the final scenes, which showed the soap box derby, there was an
announcement that it was the 2015 Bay Ridge Derby. That puts it two
years into the future. By some definitions, everything that purportedly
happens in the future is science fiction.

For what it's worth, I've seen every episode of this show and this is
the ONLY evidence of the show taking place in the future that I can recall.

Mind you, parallel universes are also widely deemed a science fiction
idea and Blue Bloods clearly depicts a parallel universe. It has been on
for three seasons now and we've met two different mayors and neither of
them was Michael Bloomberg. But virtually all (scripted) programs are
alternate universes so, in a sense, almost all scripted programs are
science fiction ;-)

--
Two other things about that episode.

First, why did they have Danny run out of ammo during his gunfight with
the killer? I don't know if NYPD detectives typically carry spare clips
of ammo but we DO know that Danny always carries a backup gun in an
ankle holster. We've seen him use it in past episodes. Why did the
writers ignore that this time around? Don't they have continuity people
to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen? My best guess is that
they felt the need to get him bruised and bloodied a bit for his final
scene with Linda where they kissed and made up. But couldn't they have
had a throwaway line in there somewhere in which he mentioned dropping
his backup gun for repairs or something?

Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer? We
saw both Henry and Frank fire up blowtorches to make adjustments to the
car but it gave the appearance of being made entirely out of wood. Now,
I've never seen a soapbox racer live and I haven't even seen one in much
detail on film so I may be out to lunch on this point. Does anyone
familiar with soapbox racing know if metal parts are permitted? I
thought the idea of soapbox racing was that these were entirely
hand-made vehicles constructed out of materials found around the home,
like soapboxes. (I've never seen a wooden soapbox but that might have
been standard before manufacturers went to cardboard for powdered
detergent or plastic for liquid detergent.)
Rhino
Horace LaBadie
2013-04-13 15:33:21 UTC
Post by Rhino
Okay, I'm not really being serious. I don't consider Blue Bloods to be
science fiction. But last night's episode did strongly suggest the story
was taking place in the (near) future.
In the final scenes, which showed the soap box derby, there was an
announcement that it was the 2015 Bay Ridge Derby. That puts it two
years into the future. By some definitions, everything that purportedly
happens in the future is science fiction.
I heard 2013. And there was the sign.
Post by Rhino
[...]
He had asked his partner to bring armor and such from the precinct.
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer? We
saw both Henry and Frank fire up blowtorches to make adjustments to the
car but it gave the appearance of being made entirely out of wood. Now,
I've never seen a soapbox racer live and I haven't even seen one in much
detail on film so I may be out to lunch on this point. Does anyone
familiar with soapbox racing know if metal parts are permitted? I
thought the idea of soapbox racing was that these were entirely
hand-made vehicles constructed out of materials found around the home,
like soapboxes. (I've never seen a wooden soapbox but that might have
been standard before manufacturers went to cardboard for powdered
detergent or plastic for liquid detergent.)
Henry specifically noted that he had added a weight to the nose of the
racer and had made the seat in such a fashion that it would slide
forward, both of which were concealed illicit "improvements" to the
design.
Rhino
2013-04-13 17:43:13 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Okay, I'm not really being serious. I don't consider Blue Bloods to be
science fiction. But last night's episode did strongly suggest the story
was taking place in the (near) future.
In the final scenes, which showed the soap box derby, there was an
announcement that it was the 2015 Bay Ridge Derby. That puts it two
years into the future. By some definitions, everything that purportedly
happens in the future is science fiction.
I heard 2013. And there was the sign.
You're right about 2013. I replayed it after reading your post and the
announcer definitely said 2013. I don't know how I got 2015....

But the sign didn't have a year on it. I looked at it very carefully and
the sign only said "Bay Ridge Derby" without stating a year.
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
[...]
That's right. But I don't see that as relevant. I think it's been
established in at least one other episode that Danny ALWAYS has his
backup gun in the ankle holster, not just on special occasions.
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
[...]
I heard that part too. But why would that require a blowtorch? If I
wanted something to slide, I'd lubricate it, not heat it.
Rhino
Horace LaBadie
2013-04-13 18:47:50 UTC
Post by Rhino
I heard that part too. But why would that require a blowtorch? If I
wanted something to slide, I'd lubricate it, not heat it.
There had to be a release. Because the car had to pass inspection, I
assume that the seat would be mounted on a metal frame, with a catch
that could be removed. Frank probably immobilized the release.
Rhino
2013-04-13 19:41:43 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
I heard that part too. But why would that require a blowtorch? If I
wanted something to slide, I'd lubricate it, not heat it.
There had to be a release. Because the car had to pass inspection, I
assume that the seat would be mounted on a metal frame, with a catch
that could be removed. Frank probably immobilized the release.
Okay, I suppose that's reasonable. I just assumed that metal parts would
not be acceptable but on second thought, that's probably unreasonable.
After all, I would think the axles and wheel rims would be metal at the
very least. I was probably taking the "soapbox" a little too literally.
Rhino
Adam H. Kerman
2013-04-14 18:59:48 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
I heard that part too. But why would that require a blowtorch? If I
wanted something to slide, I'd lubricate it, not heat it.
There had to be a release. Because the car had to pass inspection, I
assume that the seat would be mounted on a metal frame, with a catch
that could be removed. Frank probably immobilized the release.
The gag about the size of the rulebook, about how large telephone books for
smaller cities used to be, also made me laugh.
Anonymous
2013-04-14 23:41:33 UTC
n, 14 Apr 2013 18:59:48 +0000, Seamus aka "Adam H. Kerman" in
Seamus Tracking #:414.23
JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP KERMIE! NOBODY GIVES A FUCK ABOUT YOUR BULLSHIT
KERMIE SEAMUS! JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP!

JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP KERMIE!
Hunter (Hunter)
2013-04-14 09:44:57 UTC
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 13:43:13 -0400, Rhino
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Okay, I'm not really being serious. I don't consider Blue Bloods to be
science fiction. But last night's episode did strongly suggest the story
was taking place in the (near) future.
In the final scenes, which showed the soap box derby, there was an
announcement that it was the 2015 Bay Ridge Derby. That puts it two
years into the future. By some definitions, everything that purportedly
happens in the future is science fiction.
I heard 2013. And there was the sign.
You're right about 2013. I replayed it after reading your post and the
announcer definitely said 2013. I don't know how I got 2015....
But the sign didn't have a year on it. I looked at it very carefully and
the sign only said "Bay Ridge Derby" without stating a year.
-----
That doesn't matter.
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
[...]
But it could've been that he decided not to use one anymore. We would
have to go over the episodes since we last saw him use it which was in
a December one IIRC and see if there are any lines saying that he
won't carry one anymore that we have forgotten.
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
[...]
It was somesort of illegal device he had in the car, a sliding weight.

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907
thinbluemime
2013-04-13 15:34:12 UTC
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:18:12 -0400, Rhino
Post by Rhino
[...]
Maybe you misheard, here is part of the script pulled from a subtitle file
http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/4929570/blue-bloods-ends-and-means-en

Blue.Bloods.S03E20, "Ends and Means"

00:39:25,802 --> 00:39:28,770
I'm awake, I'm awake.
Come on, let's go.

842
00:39:28,772 --> 00:39:30,104
Let's go.

843
00:39:30,106 --> 00:39:31,306
Hurry up!

844
00:39:34,276 --> 00:39:37,011
Welcome to the 2013 <--------------

845
00:39:37,013 --> 00:39:39,113
Bay Ridge Derby Race.

846
00:39:39,115 --> 00:39:40,949
All racing participants,
please check in

847
00:39:40,951 --> 00:39:43,067
at the registration table.

848
00:39:46,455 --> 00:39:48,740
I'm gonna go find Sean.
Okay.
Rhino
2013-04-13 17:45:00 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
Maybe you misheard, here is part of the script pulled from a subtitle file
http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/4929570/blue-bloods-ends-and-means-en
You're right, I replayed it after seeing Horace's post and he definitely
says 2013. I don't know why I heard 2015. Maybe my hearing is not as
good as the audiologist said a couple of years back....
Rhino
William December Starr
2013-04-15 01:33:22 UTC
Post by Rhino
You're right, I replayed it after seeing Horace's post and he
definitely says 2013. I don't know why I heard 2015. Maybe my
hearing is not as good as the audiologist said a couple of years
back....
Are you _sure_ that's what he said?

-- wds :-)
JRStern
2013-04-13 16:25:55 UTC
Post by Rhino
Okay, I'm not really being serious. I don't consider Blue Bloods to be
science fiction. But last night's episode did strongly suggest the story
was taking place in the (near) future.
In the final scenes, which showed the soap box derby, there was an
announcement that it was the 2015 Bay Ridge Derby. That puts it two
years into the future. By some definitions, everything that purportedly
happens in the future is science fiction.
I also heard 2015. Maybe it's a Bronx accent or sumpn.
Post by Rhino
First, why did they have Danny run out of ammo during his gunfight with
the killer?
Is that even what happened? Danny rolled his eyes and groaned and
ejected the clip and slapped something back in that I assumed was an
additional (and loaded) clip.

But previous to that they had been shooting up the scenery for no good
reason, Danny really forgot in the heat of action that his gun had
limited ammunition?

It then progressed to a highly unlikely fight scene after which Danny
didn't even have marks on his throat. Not to mention his partner
showing up in the nick of time, standing back and not shooting.

But who's counting?

J.
danny burstein
2013-04-13 20:59:54 UTC
Post by JRStern
Is that even what happened? Danny rolled his eyes and groaned and
ejected the clip and slapped something back in that I assumed was an
additional (and loaded) clip.
No, he checked the magazine that was already empty and confirmed it was
empty, then slapped it back in, presumably because he didn't have any
more ammo.
Agreed. I just slow-mo'ed the TiVo recording and that's
what happened.
***@panix.com
Rhino
2013-04-13 23:11:46 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Post by JRStern
Is that even what happened? Danny rolled his eyes and groaned and
ejected the clip and slapped something back in that I assumed was an
additional (and loaded) clip.
No, he checked the magazine that was already empty and confirmed it was
empty, then slapped it back in, presumably because he didn't have any
more ammo.
Agreed. I just slow-mo'ed the TiVo recording and that's
what happened.
I like your sig :-) Do you get many people who think "double rot-13
encoding" is really tough to crack? How do they react when you tell them
that doing rot-13 twice just restores the text to its original form and
is no encryption at all?
Rhino
danny burstein
2013-04-14 05:34:34 UTC
Post by Rhino
I like your sig :-) Do you get many people who think "double rot-13
encoding" is really tough to crack? How do they react when you tell them
that doing rot-13 twice just restores the text to its original form and
is no encryption at all?
Alas, it's not like The Good Old Daize when we had lots of
folk on the usenet groups (and, alas, spammers trolled
them for the usernames).
***@panix.com
JRStern
2013-04-14 00:21:41 UTC
Post by Rhino
Okay, I'm not really being serious. I don't consider Blue Bloods to be
science fiction. But last night's episode did strongly suggest the story
was taking place in the (near) future.
In the final scenes, which showed the soap box derby, there was an
announcement that it was the 2015 Bay Ridge Derby. That puts it two
years into the future. By some definitions, everything that purportedly
happens in the future is science fiction.
I also heard 2015. Maybe it's a Bronx accent or sumpn.
It's weird. When I replayed it, it is clearly 2013 but it sure sounded
like 2015 the first time around; it seemed very clear too, not a tossup....
Post by thinbluemime
Post by Rhino
First, why did they have Danny run out of ammo during his gunfight with
the killer?
Is that even what happened? Danny rolled his eyes and groaned and
ejected the clip and slapped something back in that I assumed was an
additional (and loaded) clip.
No, he checked the magazine that was already empty and confirmed it was
empty, then slapped it back in, presumably because he didn't have any
more ammo. I was sure he was going to grab his ankle gun and resume the
shootout but instead, he hid somehow and then jumped the bad guy when he
approached from down the hallway. That told me he didn't have the backup
gun otherwise it seems likely he would have used it.
Yeahbut he has an ankle gun but no second clip?

Tackling a guy with a loaded gun is also not real bright. If the perp
still had any ammo. For that matter few cops are eager to tackle any
fit opponent one on one, nor should they be. Danny out the window
should have kept going and called for backup, or at least found a
baseball bat or monkey wrench or something.

J.
Rhino
2013-04-14 03:47:28 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
Post by Rhino
First, why did they have Danny run out of ammo during his gunfight with
the killer?
Is that even what happened? Danny rolled his eyes and groaned and
ejected the clip and slapped something back in that I assumed was an
additional (and loaded) clip.
No, he checked the magazine that was already empty and confirmed it was
empty, then slapped it back in, presumably because he didn't have any
more ammo. I was sure he was going to grab his ankle gun and resume the
shootout but instead, he hid somehow and then jumped the bad guy when he
approached from down the hallway. That told me he didn't have the backup
gun otherwise it seems likely he would have used it.
Yeahbut he has an ankle gun but no second clip?
In that episode, he apparently had neither.
Post by JRStern
Tackling a guy with a loaded gun is also not real bright. If the perp
still had any ammo. For that matter few cops are eager to tackle any
fit opponent one on one, nor should they be. Danny out the window
should have kept going and called for backup, or at least found a
baseball bat or monkey wrench or something.
Perhaps he felt the need to protect the shooter's girlfriend? Mind you,
that would be a stretch since she apparently had nothing to fear from
the shooter, even though she was the sister of the victim shot in the
first scene. (Apparently, the shooter had no concern about her getting
revenge on him for killing her brother.)

Let's face it, in terms of credibility, that scene was something of a
train wreck. There had to be a more plausible way for Danny to get some
minor injuries to put in his wife's face.
Rhino
JRStern
2013-04-14 16:55:36 UTC
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 23:47:28 -0400, Rhino
Post by Rhino
Let's face it, in terms of credibility, that scene was something of a
train wreck. There had to be a more plausible way for Danny to get some
minor injuries to put in his wife's face.
Yeah, this has rewrite all over it, could have been done in half the
time with half the issues, just let the perp tackle Danny for openers,
no guns at all, Baez can walk in at any time and break a gin bottle
over perp's head to end it.

So maybe this was bad rewrites to fill time.

J.
Hunter (Hunter)
2013-04-14 14:15:55 UTC
Post by thinbluemime
Post by Rhino
[...]
He is head strong that way. He ignored Baez's request for him to wait
for her before knocking on the girlfriend's door after he asked her to
pick up his rain jacket and vest on the way over to him.

He didn't so much tackle the guy as slugged him from off to the side
and then whipped him into the wall. From then the struggle was on.

Hunter (Hunter)
2013-04-14 05:30:15 UTC
Post by Rhino
Okay, I'm not really being serious. I don't consider Blue Bloods to be
science fiction. But last night's episode did strongly suggest the story
was taking place in the (near) future.
In the final scenes, which showed the soap box derby, there was an
announcement that it was the 2015 Bay Ridge Derby. That puts it two
years into the future. By some definitions, everything that purportedly
happens in the future is science fiction.
I also heard 2015. Maybe it's a Bronx accent or sumpn.
----
No it was perfectly clear 2013 in a non distinctive accent.
Post by thinbluemime
Post by Rhino
First, why did they have Danny run out of ammo during his gunfight with
the killer?
Is that even what happened? Danny rolled his eyes and groaned and
ejected the clip and slapped something back in that I assumed was an
additional (and loaded) clip.
-----
It was the same empty magazine.
Post by thinbluemime
But previous to that they had been shooting up the scenery for no good
reason, Danny really forgot in the heat of action that his gun had
limited ammunition?
----
Yes he did forget. As for shooting up the scenery the bad guy was
trying to kill Danny.
Post by thinbluemime
It then progressed to a highly unlikely fight scene after which Danny
didn't even have marks on his throat.
-----
The perps's hands were mostly on Danny's face, not his throat, which
were partly protected by his shirt and suit jacket., plus he was weak
anyway after Danny gave him three slugs to the face.
Post by thinbluemime
Not to mention his partner
showing up in the nick of time,
------
Actually she didn't. The shoot out was over and Danny had the guy
down. He was just still resisting.
Post by thinbluemime
standing back and not shooting.
But who's counting?
------
And thank goodness you're not his partner because you DO NOT shoot in
that situation. Too big of a risk hitting your partner especially
since the perp didn't have a gun or a knife or some other weapon, just
grappling with his hands and as mention Danny had the upper hand. The
threat to shoot was good enough.

Hunter (Hunter)
2013-04-14 07:36:07 UTC
Post by Rhino
Okay, I'm not really being serious. I don't consider Blue Bloods to be
science fiction. But last night's episode did strongly suggest the story
was taking place in the (near) future.
In the final scenes, which showed the soap box derby, there was an
announcement that it was the 2015 Bay Ridge Derby. That puts it two
years into the future. By some definitions, everything that purportedly
happens in the future is science fiction.
I also heard 2015. Maybe it's a Bronx accent or sumpn.
It's weird. When I replayed it, it is clearly 2013 but it sure sounded
like 2015 the first time around; it seemed very clear too, not a tossup....
----
You misheard. It happens.
Post by thinbluemime
Post by Rhino
First, why did they have Danny run out of ammo during his gunfight with
the killer?
Is that even what happened? Danny rolled his eyes and groaned and
ejected the clip and slapped something back in that I assumed was an
additional (and loaded) clip.
No, he checked the magazine that was already empty and confirmed it was
empty, then slapped it back in, presumably because he didn't have any
more ammo. I was sure he was going to grab his ankle gun and resume the
shootout but instead, he hid somehow and then jumped the bad guy when he
approached from down the hallway. That told me he didn't have the backup
gun otherwise it seems likely he would have used it.
-----
Danny went out the window. What he should have are a couple of more
magazines. For all we know they were probably in his rain jacket that
he had Baez pick up on the way to the girl's apartment. Maybe there
was a scene with a throwaway line which stated he stopped carrying his
ankle gun.
Post by thinbluemime
But previous to that they had been shooting up the scenery for no good
reason, Danny really forgot in the heat of action that his gun had
limited ammunition?
I've heard it said by experienced soldiers that counting rounds in a
gunfight is not easy given all the adrenalin in your system. I can
forgive that. Heck, I'm even glad to see scenes get written that way so
they reflect reality a little bit better. The absence of the backup gun
bothers me though.
----
It is up to the cop to carry one or not, perhaps Danny decided not to
anymore.
Post by thinbluemime
It then progressed to a highly unlikely fight scene after which Danny
didn't even have marks on his throat. Not to mention his partner
showing up in the nick of time, standing back and not shooting.
But who's counting?
Well, she did threaten to shoot if the guy on the bottom didn't release
Danny. Much to my surprise, he gave up. He seemed more like the kind who
would go down in flames. Mind you, she would have had to be very careful
not to shoot Danny if she had fired.
-----
There was no need to shoot at all.

i***@mindspring.com
2013-04-13 17:03:55 UTC
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer?
And why would anyone need a welder's helmet to use a propane torch?
Propane flame is nowhere near as bright as acetylene flame, no eye
protection needed.
Rhino
2013-04-13 17:53:48 UTC
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer?
And why would anyone need a welder's helmet to use a propane torch?
Propane flame is nowhere near as bright as acetylene flame, no eye
protection needed.
Another good point.
Rhino
Horace LaBadie
2013-04-13 18:51:56 UTC
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer?
And why would anyone need a welder's helmet to use a propane torch?
Propane flame is nowhere near as bright as acetylene flame, no eye
protection needed.
Another good point.
That, I'm sure, was just a visual joke, designed to fit the "extreme"
nature of the comic situation. Everything was over-the-top.
Rhino
2013-04-13 19:37:11 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer?
And why would anyone need a welder's helmet to use a propane torch?
Propane flame is nowhere near as bright as acetylene flame, no eye
protection needed.
Another good point.
That, I'm sure, was just a visual joke, designed to fit the "extreme"
nature of the comic situation. Everything was over-the-top.
I expect you're right. And it was thought to be so hilarious that the
gave it to us twice ;-)
Rhino
Horace LaBadie
2013-04-13 20:01:23 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer?
And why would anyone need a welder's helmet to use a propane torch?
Propane flame is nowhere near as bright as acetylene flame, no eye
protection needed.
Another good point.
That, I'm sure, was just a visual joke, designed to fit the "extreme"
nature of the comic situation. Everything was over-the-top.
I expect you're right. And it was thought to be so hilarious that the
gave it to us twice ;-)
I think that Tom learned that when he played Lance White, If you are
going to do something over-the-top, it has to be all-in.
Rhino
2013-04-13 20:39:17 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer?
And why would anyone need a welder's helmet to use a propane torch?
Propane flame is nowhere near as bright as acetylene flame, no eye
protection needed.
Another good point.
That, I'm sure, was just a visual joke, designed to fit the "extreme"
nature of the comic situation. Everything was over-the-top.
I expect you're right. And it was thought to be so hilarious that the
gave it to us twice ;-)
I think that Tom learned that when he played Lance White, If you are
going to do something over-the-top, it has to be all-in.
I couldn't figure out what you were talking about but IMDB informs me
that Lance White was Tom Selleck's character in Rockford P.I. I know I
saw a few episodes of Rockford but I was never a regular watcher.
Rhino
Horace LaBadie
2013-04-13 20:49:18 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer?
And why would anyone need a welder's helmet to use a propane torch?
Propane flame is nowhere near as bright as acetylene flame, no eye
protection needed.
Another good point.
That, I'm sure, was just a visual joke, designed to fit the "extreme"
nature of the comic situation. Everything was over-the-top.
I expect you're right. And it was thought to be so hilarious that the
gave it to us twice ;-)
I think that Tom learned that when he played Lance White, If you are
going to do something over-the-top, it has to be all-in.
I couldn't figure out what you were talking about but IMDB informs me
that Lance White was Tom Selleck's character in Rockford P.I. I know I
saw a few episodes of Rockford but I was never a regular watcher.
Lance was Selleck's big break in episodic TV. Lance was a
more-then-perfect P.I. who always had everything under control, and was
relentlessly upbeat and confident. He knew everything, could arrange
anything, and everything was obvious to him. He always succeeded in the
most outlandish way, and never got a smudge on his perfectly white suit.
Rhino
2013-04-13 23:08:31 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
[...]
Interesting. I can see how a TV role would catapult a previously obscure
actor to a starring role but that one seems a relatively unlikely role
to do it, especially by 1980. (In the 50s or 60s, heroes tended to be
squeaky clean but they have gotten gradually grittier and more imperfect
ever since. Andy Sipowicz was a long way from Matt Dillon.) Lance White
sounds TOO perfect to be a lead character in a drama.

But I didn't see those Rockford episodes. I suppose if I had, it would
make perfect sense.
Rhino
Horace LaBadie
2013-04-13 23:39:22 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
[...]
Lance was a parody of the hero who never failed. He drove Rockford nuts.
It was just two episodes of The Rockford Files. Magnum was the opposite
of Lance, but the character proved that Selleck could do something other
than deodorant soap commercials.
Rhino
2013-04-14 00:20:03 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Rhino
[...]
Ahh, he was played as a parody. That makes sense then. If he were
seriously portraying a perfect man and expected to be believed as such,
he wouldn't be a credible character at all. But if he is sort of a joke
at Rockford's expense, that could be entertaining.

I have to admit I only glanced at Magnum once or twice and never saw
Selleck in anything else before Blue Bloods aside from Three Men and a
Baby (and the sequel). I've been meaning to check out some of the other
stuff, including at least one Jesse Stone movie and his take on Eisenhower.
Rhino
Hunter (Hunter)
2013-04-14 12:05:20 UTC
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer?
And why would anyone need a welder's helmet to use a propane torch?
Propane flame is nowhere near as bright as acetylene flame, no eye
protection needed.
-----
It was meant to be a humorous scene, sort of invoking "The Munsters"'s
"Grandpa" and/or "The Addams Family"'s "Uncle Fester".

BTR1701
2013-04-13 17:30:41 UTC
Post by Rhino
[...]
Magazines. Magazines of ammo. And no, a magazine is not the same thing
as a clip.
Rhino
2013-04-13 17:38:53 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Rhino
[...]
My mistake. I've never been clear about the difference; in fact, I
thought the two were synonyms.
Rhino
icebreaker
2013-04-13 18:38:20 UTC
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 13:38:53 -0400, Rhino
Post by Rhino
Post by BTR1701
Post by Rhino
[...]
The magazine is what feeds the ammo to the weapon. Magazines are
usually removeable but in some weapons are fixed in place. Clips may
be used to insert ammo into a magazine.
Hunter (Hunter)
2013-04-14 00:16:46 UTC
Post by Rhino
[...]
Sorry but the PA announcer clearly said "Welcome to the *2013*
Bayridge Derby Race".
Post by Rhino
--
Two other things about that episode.
First, why did they have Danny run out of ammo during his gunfight with
the killer? I don't know if NYPD detectives typically carry spare clips
of ammo but we DO know that Danny always carries a backup gun in an
ankle holster. We've seen him use it in past episodes. Why did the
writers ignore that this time around? Don't they have continuity people
to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen? My best guess is that
they felt the need to get him bruised and bloodied a bit for his final
scene with Linda where they kissed and made up.
-----
I think it is a simple matter that Danny under such close quarter and
intense fire simply forgot. A human mistake.
Post by Rhino
But couldn't they have
had a throwaway line in there somewhere in which he mentioned dropping
his backup gun for repairs or something?
-----
This I agree with it was established he does have an ankle gun. Henry
did say that they suck. Maybe Danny listened to him?
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer? We
saw both Henry and Frank fire up blowtorches to make adjustments to the
car but it gave the appearance of being made entirely out of wood. Now,
I've never seen a soapbox racer live and I haven't even seen one in much
detail on film so I may be out to lunch on this point. Does anyone
familiar with soapbox racing know if metal parts are permitted? I
thought the idea of soapbox racing was that these were entirely
hand-made vehicles constructed out of materials found around the home,
like soapboxes. (I've never seen a wooden soapbox but that might have
been standard before manufacturers went to cardboard for powdered
detergent or plastic for liquid detergent.)
-----
There was some sort of sliding metal weight to make the car go faster.

Adam H. Kerman
2013-04-14 18:46:46 UTC
Post by Rhino
[...]
Ok, I missed that.
Post by Rhino
Second, why would anyone need a blowtorch to work on a soapbox racer? We
saw both Henry and Frank fire up blowtorches to make adjustments to the
car but it gave the appearance of being made entirely out of wood. Now,
I've never seen a soapbox racer live and I haven't even seen one in much
detail on film so I may be out to lunch on this point. Does anyone
familiar with soapbox racing know if metal parts are permitted? I
thought the idea of soapbox racing was that these were entirely
hand-made vehicles constructed out of materials found around the home,
like soapboxes. (I've never seen a wooden soapbox but that might have
been standard before manufacturers went to cardboard for powdered
detergent or plastic for liquid detergent.)
I liked this episode a lot. I thought the soap-box derby conspiracy
scenes with Henry and Frank were hysterical.

I wasn't wild about the falling out between Danny and Linda, but I like
Linda a lot. The actress manages to hold her own, despite playing an
almost totally marginal character most weeks. They gave her more to work
with this week. Generally, Danny was wrong, but Linda was wrong to be
mad at Danny leaving the house (he was gone for, what, four hours?) to
cool off. It's a cop's family. Cops who don't cool off can be terrible
trouble for their wives.

On the other hand, sigh, Erin's story was attrocious. Oh, good grief,
she's never taken a class in legal ethics? Is she unaware that all
evidence must be turned over to the defense, even if it has exculpatory
value? I could have sworn I've seen that in the constitution somewhere.
And we've seen this done to death on this show, that someone's boss or
mentor took shortcuts to advance his career.
Anonymous
2013-04-14 23:11:22 UTC
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:46:46 +0000, Seamus aka "Adam H. Kerman" in
Seamus Tracking #:414.19

JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP KERMIE!
Hunter (Hunter)
2013-04-23 05:17:52 UTC
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:46:46 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Rhino
[...]
No you didn't since it wasn't there in the first place.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Rhino
[...]
True, while I don't think Danny would hit Linda if he had stayed as
you point out most men who could be tempted to hit the wife do not do
the mature thing and leave the house for a few hours.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
On the other hand, sigh, Erin's story was attrocious. Oh, good grief,
she's never taken a class in legal ethics? Is she unaware that all
evidence must be turned over to the defense, even if it has exculpatory
value? I could have sworn I've seen that in the constitution somewhere.
And we've seen this done to death on this show, that someone's boss or
mentor took shortcuts to advance his career.
------
She knows that. The thing is that if she brought up the withholding of
evidence in the rapist previous conviction to her boss's boss it could
negate it. If so then when the drop dead certain conviction (he was
caught in the act) this third time for raping a elderly woman would
mean he technically would not have a "third strike", sending him to
prison for only 10 years instead of the 25 to life he would get
automatically if the conviction stood. That means he would be out much
sooner and so victimize another person just 10 years from now.

By law and ethics you are absolutely right; it is certain what she
should do but the practical reality of potentially a dangerous person
like that being placed back on the street much sooner than he "should"
was the issue and the debate whe was having with herself. By law what
Erin should do is obvious, but the reality of what could happen was
weighing on her.

It is in that way similar to what Linda and Danny went through. Should
Linda compromise the care of a person on the possibility of that
person knowing the identity of a killer who was still killing and help
bring him to justice before he could kill again or does she put the
health of that person above all else? With Danny it was an easy choice
even if the scumbag's life would be put in jeapody, maybe he had info
he could use.

Of course we will never learn if he did know since Linda's patient
died so we will never know if he really did have useful information or
not.

On the other hand Erin's supervisor's old case is still under review,
so she could learn if the old conviction will stand up or not. If not
than the rapist who likes to rape old women will be out much sooner
than anyone would like.

Adam H. Kerman
2013-04-23 06:17:25 UTC
Post by Hunter (Hunter)
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Rhino
[...]
Ok, you missed what you can be counted on to miss every single time.
Post by Hunter (Hunter)
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Rhino
[...]
If he'd stayed, he wouldn't have cooled off.
Post by Hunter (Hunter)
Post by Adam H. Kerman
On the other hand, sigh, Erin's story was attrocious. Oh, good grief,
she's never taken a class in legal ethics? Is she unaware that all
evidence must be turned over to the defense, even if it has exculpatory
value? I could have sworn I've seen that in the constitution somewhere.
And we've seen this done to death on this show, that someone's boss or
mentor took shortcuts to advance his career.
She knows that.
There was no evidence at all that she had any knowledge of basic law
in that episode.
Post by Hunter (Hunter)
The thing is that if she brought up the withholding of evidence in the
rapist previous conviction to her boss's boss it could negate it.
He went to prison for that crime, even if a judge might reverse the
verdict. The third strike enhanced sentence wouldn't have applied this
time. I'd have had no problem with that, as the prosecution cheated.
Post by Hunter (Hunter)
If so then when the drop dead certain conviction (he was caught in the
act) this third time for raping a elderly woman would mean he technically
would not have a "third strike", sending him to prison for only 10 years
instead of the 25 to life he would get automatically if the conviction
stood. That means he would be out much sooner and so victimize another
person just 10 years from now.
So, you're advocating punishing him for a crime he hasn't yet committed.
Post by Hunter (Hunter)
By law and ethics you are absolutely right; it is certain what she
should do but the practical reality of potentially a dangerous person
like that being placed back on the street much sooner than he "should"
was the issue and the debate whe was having with herself. By law what
Erin should do is obvious, but the reality of what could happen was
weighing on her.
Actually, she was thinking about her career. There was no indication that
she was thinking about sanctioning a miscarriage of justice for the greater
good of society.
Post by Hunter (Hunter)
It is in that way similar to what Linda and Danny went through.
Not really. Danny never does anything unethical, unlike Erin's boss. As it
was tv, I fully believe he could have gotten the information in 30 seconds.

Danny may have put unwarranted pressure on the patient, if he'd been
allowed to proceed, but we won't know that. We do know that he certainly
mistreated his wife.
Post by Hunter (Hunter)
On the other hand Erin's supervisor's old case is still under review,
so she could learn if the old conviction will stand up or not. If not
than the rapist who likes to rape old women will be out much sooner
than anyone would like.
Reversing the old conviction is an easy call for the judge, given that the
guy is out already. It's not like he has to think about the consequences
of letting a dangerous man out of prison. The question's in your mind, only.
Dave U. Random
2013-04-23 11:37:36 UTC
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 06:17:25 +0000, Seamus aka "Adam H. Kerman" in
Seamus Tracking #:423.9

JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP KERMIE!
b***@gmail.com
2015-09-02 15:29:28 UTC
I'm two years late to the episode - but - did anyone notice that the Bay Ridge Soap Box Derby is being held on Randall's Island? It's got the elevated Metro-North train line and the RFK Bridge in the background. Small detail, but funny. It's possible that Randall's Island is an easier place to film than Bay Ridge.
Rhino
2015-09-02 16:02:19 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
I'm two years late to the episode - but - did anyone notice that the Bay Ridge Soap Box Derby is being held on Randall's Island? It's got the elevated Metro-North train line and the RFK Bridge in the background. Small detail, but funny. It's possible that Randall's Island is an easier place to film than Bay Ridge.
How does filming it in a location that only stands in for a real
location prove that the show is SF?

TV shows and films do that all the time, especially when the setting is
historical. Do you think they actually tear down modern-day London and
rebuild WWII-era London when they make a war movie that is set there? Of
course not. They use a set or clever set decorations or CGI or whatever
to pretend to be the setting of the film or show.

Modern films and shows do the same. Castle, for instance, has always
been shot in the LA area despite the fact it is set in NYC. (The only
exception is that the pilot was shot in NYC.) Is Castle SF too, just
because it is shot in LA but set in NYC?
Rhino
A Friend
2015-09-02 21:17:18 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
CASTLE is sf because they call the subway "the metro." That's an
alternate universe right there. BTW no one calls it the RFK Bridge,
either. It's still the Triboro. Eventually this may change -- it took
decades, but people are finally calling the East River Drive the FDR
Drive -- but not yet.

And Sixth Avenue will never never never be called Avenue of the
Americas by any real New Yorker. Not ever.

Horace LaBadie
2015-09-02 16:17:39 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
I'm two years late to the episode - but - did anyone notice that the Bay
Ridge Soap Box Derby is being held on Randall's Island? It's got the elevated
Metro-North train line and the RFK Bridge in the background. Small detail,
but funny. It's possible that Randall's Island is an easier place to film
than Bay Ridge.
Location doubling is standard on most shows. The funniest examples were
on CSI: Horatio.