Johnny Carson, late-night TV legend, dead at 79
ANIM8Rfsk
2005-01-23 19:45:28 UTC
Johnny Carson, late-night TV legend, dead at 79

Sunday, January 23, 2005 Posted: 2:25 PM EST (1925 GMT)
Johnny Carson "passed away peacefully," his nephew said.

Johnny Carson, the "Tonight Show" TV host who served America a smooth nightcap
of celebrity banter, droll comedy and heartland charm for 30 years, has died.
He was 79.

"Mr. Carson passed away peacefully early Sunday morning," his nephew, Jeff
Sotzing, told The Associated Press. "He was surrounded by his family, whose
loss will be immeasurable. There will be no memorial service."

Sotzing would not give further details, including the time of death or the
location.

The boyish-looking Nebraska native with the disarming grin, who survived every
attempt to topple him from his late-night talk show throne, was a star who
managed never to distance himself from his audience.

His wealth, the adoration of his guests -- particularly the many young comics
whose careers he launched -- the wry tales of multiple divorces: Carson's air
of modesty made it all serve to enhance his bedtime intimacy with viewers.

"Heeeeere's Johnny!" was the booming announcement from sidekick Ed McMahon that
ushered Carson out to the stage. Then the formula: the topical monologue, the
guests, the broadly played skits such as "Carnac the Magnificent."

But America never tired of him; Carson went out on top when he retired in May
1992. In his final show, he told his audience: "And so it has come to this. I
am one of the lucky people in the world. I found something that I always wanted
to do and I have enjoyed every single minute of it."

His personal life could not match the perfection of his career. Carson was
married four times, divorced three. In 1991, one of his three sons, 39-year-old
Ricky, was killed in a car accident.

Nearly all of Carson's professional life was spent in television, from his
postwar start at Nebraska stations in the late 1940s to his three decades with
NBC's "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson."

Carson choose to let "Tonight" stand as his career zenith and his finale,
withdrawing into a quiet retirement that suited his private nature and refusing
involvement in other show business projects.

In 1993, he explained his absence from the limelight.

"I have an ego like anybody else," Carson told The Washington Post, "but I
don't need to be stoked by going before the public all the time."

He was open to finding the right follow-up to "Tonight," he told friends. But
his longtime producer, Fred de Cordova, said Carson didn't feel pressured -- he
could look back on his TV success and say "I did it."

"And that makes sense. He is one of a kind, was one of a kind," de Cordova said
in 1995. "I don't think there's any reason for him to try something different."

Carson spent his retirement years sailing, traveling and socializing with a few
close friends including media mogul Barry Diller and NBC executive Bob Wright.
He simply refused to be wooed back on stage.

"The reason I really don't go back or do interviews is because I just let the
work speak for itself," he told Esquire magazine in 2002 in a rare interview.

The former talk show host did find an outlet for his creativity: He wrote short
humor pieces for The New Yorker magazine, including "Recently Discovered
Childhood Letters to Santa," which purported to give the youthful wish lists of
William Buckley, Don Rickles and others.

Carson made his debut as "Tonight" host in October 1962. Audiences quickly grew
fond of his boyish grin and easy wit. He even made headlines with such clever
ploys as the 1969 on-show marriage of eccentric singer Tiny Tim to Miss Vicki,
which won the show its biggest-ever ratings.

The wedding and other noteworthy moments from the show were collected into a
yearly "Tonight" anniversary special.

In 1972, "Tonight" moved from New York to Burbank. Growing respect for Carson's
consistency and staying power, along with four consecutive Emmy Awards, came
his way in the late 1970s.

His quickness and his ability to handle an audience were impressive. When his
jokes missed their target, the smooth Carson won over a groaning studio
audience with a clever look or sly, self-deprecating remark.

Politics provided monologue fodder for him as he skewered lawmakers of every
stripe, mirroring the mood of voters. His Watergate jabs at President Nixon
were seen as cementing Nixon's fall from office in 1974.

He made presidential history again in July 1988 when he had then-Arkansas Gov.
Bill Clinton on his show a few days after Clinton came under widespread
ridicule for a boring speech at the Democratic National Convention. Clinton
traded quips with Carson and played "Summertime" on the saxophone. Four years
later, Clinton won the presidency.

Carson dispatched would-be late-night competitors with aplomb. Competing
networks tried a variety of formats and hosts but never managed to best
"Tonight" and Carson.

There was the occasional battle with NBC: In 1967, for instance, Carson walked
out for several weeks until the network managed to lure him back with a
contract that reportedly gave him $1 million-plus yearly.

In 1980, after more walkout threats, the show was scaled back from 90 minutes
to an hour. Carson also eased his schedule by cutting back on his work days; a
number of substitute hosts filled in, including Joan Rivers, David Brenner,
Jerry Lewis and Jay Leno, Carson's eventual successor.

Rivers was one of the countless comedians whose careers took off after they
were on Carson's show. After she rocked the audience with her jokes in that
1965 appearance, he remarked, "God, you're funny. You're going to be a star."

"If Johnny hadn't made the choice to put me on his show, I might still be in
Greenwich Village as the oldest living undiscovered female comic," she recalled
in an Associated Press interview 20 years later. She tried her own talk show in
1986, quickly becoming one of the many challengers who could not budge Carson.

In the '80s, Carson was reportedly the highest-paid performer in television
history with a $5 million "Tonight" show salary alone.

His Carson Productions created and sold pilots to NBC, including "TV's Bloopers
and Practical Jokes." Carson himself made occasional cameo appearances on other
TV series.

He also performed in Las Vegas and Atlantic City, New Jersey, and was host of
the Academy Awards five times in the '70s and '80s.

Carson's graceful exit from "Tonight" did not avoid a messy, bitter tug-of-war
between Leno and fellow comedian David Letterman. Leno took over as "Tonight"
host on May 25, 1992, becoming the fourth man to hold the job after founding
host Steve Allen, Paar and Carson.

Carson was born in Corning, Iowa, and raised in nearby Norfolk, Neb. He started
his show business career at age 14 as the magician "The Great Carsoni."

After World War II service in the Navy, he took a series of jobs in local radio
and TV in Nebraska before starting at KNXT-TV in Los Angeles in 1950.

There he started a sketch comedy show, "Carson's Cellar," which ran from
1951-53 and attracted attention from Hollywood. A staff writing job for "The
Red Skelton Show" followed.

The program provided Carson with a lucky break: When Skelton was injured
backstage, Carson took the comedian's place in front of the cameras.

Producers tried to find the right program for the up-and-coming comic, trying
him out as host of the quiz show "Earn Your Vacation" (1954) and in the variety
show "The Johnny Carson Show" (1955-56).

From 1957-62 he was host of the daytime game show "Who Do You Trust?" and, in
1958, was joined for the first time by McMahon, his durable "Tonight" buddy.

A few acting roles came Carson's way, including one on "Playhouse 90" in 1957,
and he did a pilot in 1960 for a prime-time series, "Johnny Come Lately," that
never made it onto a network schedule.

In 1958, Carson sat in for "Tonight Show" host Jack Paar. When Paar left the
show four years later, Carson was NBC's choice as his replacement.

After his retirement, Carson took on the role of Malibu-based retiree with
apparent ease. An avid tennis fan, he was still playing a vigorous game in his
70s.

He and his wife, Alexis, traveled frequently. The pair met on the Malibu beach
in the early 1980s; he was 61 when they married in June 1987, she was in her
30s.

Carson's first wife was his childhood sweetheart, Jody, the mother of his three
sons. They married in 1949 and split in 1963.

He married Joanne Copeland Carson in 1963; divorce came in 1972. His third
marriage, to Joanna Holland Carson, took place in 1972. They separated in 1982
and reached a divorce settlement in 1985.

On the occasion of Carson's 70th birthday in 1995, former "Tonight" bandleader
Doc Severinsen, who toured with musicians from the show, said he was constantly
reminded of Carson's enduring popularity.

"Every place we go people ask `How is he? Where is he? What is he doing? Tell
him how much we miss him.' It doesn't surprise me," Severinsen said.

The brisk sale of the video collection "Johnny Carson: His Favorite Moments
From The Tonight Show," released in 1994, offered further proof of his appeal.

He won a Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, in
1992, with the first President Bush saying, "With decency and style he's made
America laugh and think." In 1993, he was celebrated by the prestigious Kennedy
Center Honors for career achievement.
p***@myhome.com
2005-01-23 20:54:53 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Johnny Carson, late-night TV legend, dead at 79
Sunday, January 23, 2005 Posted: 2:25 PM EST (1925 GMT)
Johnny Carson "passed away peacefully," his nephew said.
There's nothing peaceful about not being able to breathe. My father
passed away from emphasema and lung cancer and his last breaths were
anything but peaceful. Only after my sister arrived and he knew
someone was there to be with my mom, did he take that final breath and
let himself go. Rest in peace, Johnny, you're suffering is over.
pepsi
Phil from Chicago
2005-01-24 03:50:20 UTC
it's my 27th birthday today and I couldn't have received more sad news:(

ironically just a few weeks ago Johnny was spotted by "The Insider" going to
see "The aviator". Guess what movie I saw this afternoon?

if you said The Aviator give yourself 100 points

RIP Johnny

CUT THAT MEAT!! CUT THAT MEAT!! CUT THAT MEAT!! -Peyton Manning for Mastercard