What Did You Watch? 2017-08-10 (Thursday)
Add Reply
Obveeus
2017-08-11 12:10:02 UTC

OZARK: I finished off season #1 of this Netflix original starring Jason
Bateman and Laura Linney. Yes, it is a dark, brooding series full of
evil folks. Good show, though...and an 8.6 IMDB score (19,685 votes)
after 3 weeks of release on Netflix. Side note: I still have no idea
how money laundering would work in some of the scenarios presented here.

What did you watch?
Obveeus
2017-08-11 12:29:32 UTC
Post by Obveeus
OZARK: I finished off season #1 of this Netflix original starring Jason
Bateman and Laura Linney. Yes, it is a dark, brooding series full of
evil folks. Good show, though...and an 8.6 IMDB score (19,685 votes)
after 3 weeks of release on Netflix. Side note: I still have no idea
how money laundering would work in some of the scenarios presented here.
Side note: for those that are entertained by such things, in addition
to the 'fun' of linking the episode title to a moment in each episode,
this show also adds a shield symbol early in each episode which reveals
4 images that will show up later in the episode.
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-08-11 13:43:56 UTC
Post by Obveeus
OZARK: I finished off season #1 of this Netflix original starring Jason
Bateman and Laura Linney. Yes, it is a dark, brooding series full of
evil folks. Good show, though...and an 8.6 IMDB score (19,685 votes)
after 3 weeks of release on Netflix. Side note: I still have no idea
how money laundering would work in some of the scenarios presented here.
What did you watch?
Snowfall - "A Long Time Coming" - The young up and coming drug dealer
continues to make bad choice after bad choice. I guess eventually he'll
become a drug kingpin once he figures out how to make crack and poison
his community but the way he acts it's shocking he's not dead already.

Big Brother - Just about everyone in the house is hateful. There's no
one to root for just people to root against less.

SNL Weekend Update Summer Edition - funny enough. I got a good chuckle
when they complained about NBC over extending and running their popular
shows into the ground.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us - This was a really good one. I have *no* idea
how the scientist moved the dollar but it's the type of trick I've seen
before so it's no surprise Penn & Teller figured it out without effort.
The one guy who did fool them with a card trick was really good. I also
have no idea how he did that. The find the pearl trick was pretty good.
My best guess is he used a force but Penn was way too vague in
describing how they knew how the trick was done. And P&T's FU to the
magic society was good as well. At first I though teller had the cards
marked and could tell by touching them. But he didn't touch the actual
card so once again I have no idea how he did it.
Obveeus
2017-08-11 14:00:35 UTC
Snowfall - "A Long Time Coming" - The young up and coming drug dealer
continues to make bad choice after bad choice. I guess eventually he'll
become a drug kingpin once he figures out how to make crack and poison
his community but the way he acts it's shocking he's not dead already.
I fell behind on this show while out of town and decided to just drop it
rather than catch up. The main reason for that decision was the
plotline with the 'smart' drug kid because everything he was doing was
stupid (both in terms of skipping college and in terms of thinking he
can be a drug mule without risk and in terms of thinking he can drive
around the neighborhood on a new motorcycle with lots of cash and his
mommy will neveer notice, and...well, pretty much everything in his
plotline). The Mexican wrestler and the other couple plotline was just
not very interesting. As a result, it was only the CIA Reagon-era
stooge plotline that was entertaining me. Not enough to keep watching
the show.
anim8rfsk
2017-08-11 16:33:25 UTC
Penn & Teller: Fool Us - This was a really good one.
yes

I have *no* idea
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
how the scientist moved the dollar but it's the type of trick I've seen
before so it's no surprise Penn & Teller figured it out without effort.
When the receiving jar didn't work and he reached for it I thought to
myself, self, I thought, AHA, but then he backed off without touching
it. I don't know if that was a planned fake-out or what, but it was a
great moment.

Running the bill vanish in slow mo ... it's there one frame and not the
next. Scary.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The one guy who did fool them with a card trick was really good. I also
have no idea how he did that.
Yep.

Post by Arthur Lipscomb
My best guess is he used a force but Penn was way too vague in
describing how they knew how the trick was done.
I was distracted by the pretty girl seated next to Alyson ...

And P&T's FU to the
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
magic society was good as well.
Yes!

m***@hotmail.com
Duh! That's the idea of capitalism, right? If it makes more money being run into the ground, then proceed.
Ian J. Ball
2017-08-11 16:25:25 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Not much...:

soaps: DOOL - Kayla throws a hissy fit about Joey "confessing", while
Tripp "gets away with everything". Tripp overhears this and wants to
leave town, but I think stupid Claire talked him out of it. Meanwhile,
Brady seems to have "lost it" re: Nicole and Eric.
GH - Honestly, I wasn't that interested... There's more DRAMAH re:
Hayden/Rachel and her being blackmailed... (I guess Budig is on the way
out, which isn't so great, tho...) Also, Ava continues to be a shut-in.
And Julian's trial begins.

Blood Drive (recorded) - "The Chopsocky Special". This was
disappointing - I was expecting an homage to 1970s era "king fu"
movies, but we barely got that at all. Instead, the episode was a
bait-and-switch and was mostly about a near-death Arthur on a "vision
quest". The latter started well enough, with Officer Aki as his
spirit-guide (sidenote: Aki turns out to be the daughter of the woman
who owned the Chinese restaurant they stopped at - I'm not sure if
there's going to be later payoff from that...), but it lost momentum
once Aki was no longer Arthur's guide. Meanwhile, in the "real world",
Grace frantically tries to keep Arthur alive, while doubting the
intentions of the old woman who owns the Chinese restaurant. In the
end, it looks like Arthur has disappeared, leaving Grace bewildered...

Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll (recorded) - "Tramps Like Us" and "Ghosts of
Skibbereen" (ep's #2.7 & 2.8). I still had 4 of these left over from
last summer, so decided to start clearing them out. Suffice it to say
that I still find season #2 to be woefully inferior to the first
season, and can completely understand why FX axed it. I disliked most
of ep. #2.7, until near the end when Johnny and Gigi get ambushed by
Flash and Ava who reveal to Johhny and Gigi, with the therapist's help,
that they are now together.
In the second one, Rehab and Bam Bam's ridiculous Broadway show
premieres (and of course it's a critical hit) which allows more time
for Campbell Scott to ham it up. Meanwhile, Johnny and Gigi both want
to confront Flash and Ava, but that doesn't work out like they
planned... Meh.

All Hallows Eve (The Netflix) - I wanted something on in the background
last night, while I worked on something else, so I decided to check
this out after either Fred or Ice mentioned how awful they thought it
was!
And, man, this was *slight*! Even for this kind of flick, this was
slight! It was like somebody took a circa-2000 DCOM script, and
substantially dumbed it down, and then decided to film it, circa-2016!
(Huh?!) Not much to say about this - just that it wasn't very good.

Recorded for later: Lego Star Wars..., The Mist, and Zoo.
--
"His compassion killed him." - Dr. Sabine Lommers, in
2017-08-11 16:35:19 UTC
All Hallows Eve (The Netflix) - I wanted something on in the background
last night, while I worked on something else, so I decided to check
this out after either Fred or Ice mentioned how awful they thought it
was!
And, man, this was *slight*! Even for this kind of flick, this was
slight! It was like somebody took a circa-2000 DCOM script, and
substantially dumbed it down, and then decided to film it, circa-2016!
(Huh?!) Not much to say about this - just that it wasn't very good.
That one's on me. I said you might like it. I agree with your review.
2017-08-11 21:29:09 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
soaps: DOOL - Kayla throws a hissy fit about Joey "confessing", while
Tripp "gets away with everything". Tripp overhears this and wants to
leave town, but I think stupid Claire talked him out of it. Meanwhile,
Brady seems to have "lost it" re: Nicole and Eric.
Yeah, both Kayla and Brady have been written as overly dramatic this
week, really out of character for them.
David Barnett
2017-08-11 21:57:50 UTC
Post by Obveeus
OZARK: I finished off season #1 of this Netflix original starring Jason
Bateman and Laura Linney. Yes, it is a dark, brooding series full of
evil folks. Good show, though...and an 8.6 IMDB score (19,685 votes)
after 3 weeks of release on Netflix. Side note: I still have no idea
how money laundering would work in some of the scenarios presented here.
I'm still not inclined to watch it,
unless I run out of shows to watch,
'rather unlikely atm.
David Barnett
Jim G.
2017-08-13 06:14:23 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
THE LAST TYCOON / Oscar, Oscar, Oscar / 1x09

In terms of the series as a whole, things started out a bit on the slow
side, but then hit their stride sometime around the third episode and
then consistently delivered -- until a very shaky penultimate episode.
But this finale made up for the misstep and was hitting on all cylinders
with some great tension and some nice story resolutions for various
characters. My only beef is that someone couldn't resist those final
cheesy ten seconds and someone else couldn't convince that person to
reconsider. Ending with Celia parting from Monroe would have been
terrific. Ending with Monroe and Kathleen's Oscars departure would have
been terrific, as well. But they had to go and get a bit greedy...

ZOO / Wham, Bam, Thank You Sam / 3x07

Jamie gets eaten by a 60' invisible snake. She bounces back quickly,
though. And it says something when I can type all of that and still
believe that the "science" behind this CBS summer show is still tons
better than the "science" behind SALVATION, another CBS summer show.
Logan, who stopped being a jerk at some point when I wasn't Paying
Attention, leaves the team and probably just joined the dark side, but
doesn't know it yet. He's with that older actor who shows up on a ton of
skiffy shows while looking and sounding a lot like John McCain. Clem and
Abigail have an uninspiring catfight. No rain, no mud, no shredded
clothing. Hardly qualifies as a catfight at all, really. Abe and Dariela
are reunited with their son, Isaaac, and now Dariela is writing herself
and their son out of things, which is no great loss. Sadly, Abe may be
successful in getting her to change her mind. If nothing else, he got a
little goodbye action. The gang liberates a stasis tank just in time to
be needing it for Clem and a blood disorder that's putting her unborn
miracle baby at risk. Mitch's dad, Max, reunites with the team and has
secreted a freaky-looking hybrid egg on the plane because nothing can
possibly go wrong with something like that. Jamie confronts Mitch about
being Mr. Duncan, so he tranqs her. Probably not a long-term solution.
The hour ends with Abigal killing an innocent man -- incorrectly thought
to be the father of Clem's baby -- so that she can spend quality time
with her brother, Jackson. She may have issues, but she's diligent. And
one heck of a shot.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-08-13 06:22:51 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
[...]
Who's the idiot that's the science advisor on that mess anyway?
Jim G.
2017-08-13 19:33:22 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
[...]
Some guy who's besties with your besty, Neil Degrasse Tyson.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
icebreaker
2017-08-13 18:50:04 UTC
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 01:14:23 -0500, "Jim G."
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
THE LAST TYCOON / Oscar, Oscar, Oscar / 1x09
In terms of the series as a whole, things started out a bit on the slow
side, but then hit their stride sometime around the third episode and
then consistently delivered -- until a very shaky penultimate episode.
But this finale made up for the misstep and was hitting on all cylinders
with some great tension and some nice story resolutions for various
characters. My only beef is that someone couldn't resist those final
cheesy ten seconds and someone else couldn't convince that person to
reconsider. Ending with Celia parting from Monroe would have been
terrific. Ending with Monroe and Kathleen's Oscars departure would have
been terrific, as well. But they had to go and get a bit greedy...
I liied the pilot episode and am about halway through the rest. I like
it enough to watch the remainder when I get a chance.

---
http://www.avg.com
Jim G.
2017-08-13 19:34:38 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I won't spoil anything for you any more than I already have, given that
it was one of those shows where everything was released at once instead
of weekly. Instead, I'll just say that if you've been enjoying it so
far, you should enjoy the rest. Very well done overall.