SNL's Leslie Jones Wants The Show To Focus Less On Politics And More On What's "Funny"
Ubiquitous
2018-06-16 05:23:51 UTC
In an interview published on Wednesday, The Wrap spoke with Leslie
Jones about the next season of "Saturday Night Live," which she said
should be less focused on politics, and more focused on what’s funny:

Comedy is a release just like art and music. All of that
is the same thing. You need that release. It can’t always
be serious. You need The Three Stooges just as much as you
need John Oliver.

To be clear, Jones still insisted that political commentary is a
necessary thing:

There was so much stuff that was happening, there was no
way that our show, with the responsibility that we have,
would not to cover that stuff. It was just too important.
But I do hope that next year will be a lot more funny-funny
based stuff, more comedy based stuff instead of a lot of
political stuff.

Jones’ primary concern seems to be over-saturation combined with a lack
of originality. She told The Wrap that she doesn’t want to "talk about
what everybody else is talking about," and that many comics are
covering identical ground as it relates to the president:

The comics today are — it’s stressful to go to a comedy
show, because that’s all they’re going to do is just talk
about that. No one just gets up and does a simple joke that
makes you laugh.

She added: "When I started, it wasn’t important about being famous or
being heard of. The most important thing was if we were funny."

Jones is echoing a certain portion of the "SNL" fanbase who are tiring
of the ever-present and increasingly unfunny political sketches based
around President Trump and his team. Time will tell whether or not her
remarks will make an impact in the long-running sketch comedy series’
writers room.
Rhino
2018-06-16 11:40:06 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
In an interview published on Wednesday, The Wrap spoke with Leslie
Jones about the next season of "Saturday Night Live," which she said
Comedy is a release just like art and music. All of that
is the same thing. You need that release. It can’t always
be serious. You need The Three Stooges just as much as you
need John Oliver.
To be clear, Jones still insisted that political commentary is a
There was so much stuff that was happening, there was no
way that our show, with the responsibility that we have,
would not to cover that stuff.
Huh? What responsibility? Does the FCC mandate that they bash Trump?
Otherwise, their "responsibility" is nothing but a self-chosen mission
that they can choose to drop at any time.
Post by Ubiquitous
It was just too important.
Only in her fevered imagination!
Post by Ubiquitous
But I do hope that next year will be a lot more funny-funny
based stuff, more comedy based stuff instead of a lot of
political stuff.
I gave up on SNL ever being funny again back in the 80s. Whenever I've
looked in on it again, it has never failed to be as funny as taxes and
as entertaining as watching paint dry.
Post by Ubiquitous
Jones’ primary concern seems to be over-saturation combined with a lack
of originality. She told The Wrap that she doesn’t want to "talk about
what everybody else is talking about," and that many comics are
The comics today are — it’s stressful to go to a comedy
show, because that’s all they’re going to do is just talk
about that. No one just gets up and does a simple joke that
makes you laugh.
She added: "When I started, it wasn’t important about being famous or
being heard of. The most important thing was if we were funny."
Jones is echoing a certain portion of the "SNL" fanbase who are tiring
of the ever-present and increasingly unfunny political sketches based
around President Trump and his team. Time will tell whether or not her
remarks will make an impact in the long-running sketch comedy series’
writers room.
I'm going to be amused if she makes HER material genuinely funny - and
generally apolitical - while the others continue with their relentless
Trump-bashing and discovers that only HER segments are actually liked.
Rhino
Ubiquitous
2018-06-16 14:09:34 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by Ubiquitous
In an interview published on Wednesday, The Wrap spoke with Leslie
Jones about the next season of "Saturday Night Live," which she said
Comedy is a release just like art and music. All of that
is the same thing. You need that release. It can’t always
be serious. You need The Three Stooges just as much as you
need John Oliver.
To be clear, Jones still insisted that political commentary is a
There was so much stuff that was happening, there was no
way that our show, with the responsibility that we have,
would not to cover that stuff.
Huh? What responsibility? Does the FCC mandate that they bash Trump?
Otherwise, their "responsibility" is nothing but a self-chosen mission
that they can choose to drop at any time.
I suspect that's a bit of moral exhibitionism on her part.
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Not nearly as funny as the excuses TPTB make for them to double-down on the
lame President trump jokes.
m***@hotmail.com
2018-06-16 16:39:47 UTC
Post by Rhino
Post by Ubiquitous
In an interview published on Wednesday, The Wrap spoke with Leslie
Jones about the next season of "Saturday Night Live," which she said
Comedy is a release just like art and music. All of that
is the same thing. You need that release. It can’t always
be serious. You need The Three Stooges just as much as you
need John Oliver.
To be clear, Jones still insisted that political commentary is a
There was so much stuff that was happening, there was no
way that our show, with the responsibility that we have,
would not to cover that stuff.
Huh? What responsibility? Does the FCC mandate that they bash Trump?
Do you even know what the FCC is?
Post by Rhino
Otherwise, their "responsibility" is nothing but a self-chosen mission
that they can choose to drop at any time.
Explain this FCC:
"The Republican-controlled Federal Communications Commission"

-- https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/14/politics/net-neutrality-vote-wednesday/index.html
BTR1701
2018-06-16 16:06:55 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
In an interview published on Wednesday, The Wrap spoke with Leslie
Jones about the next season of "Saturday Night Live," which she said
Comedy is a release just like art and music. All of that
is the same thing. You need that release. It can’t always
be serious. You need The Three Stooges just as much as you
need John Oliver.
To be clear, Jones still insisted that political commentary is a
There was so much stuff that was happening, there was no
way that our show, with the responsibility that we have,
would not to cover that stuff. It was just too important.
But I do hope that next year will be a lot more funny-funny
based stuff, more comedy based stuff instead of a lot of
political stuff.
The political stuff is the only thing that actually is funny on your
show these days, and that's mostly due to non-cast members like Baldwin
who have actual talent.
shawn
2018-06-16 16:16:02 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
I wonder if part of the reason behind her complaint is that the
limited parts available for a black woman in skits about the Trump
administration. So if they aren't making fun of Trump there's more
opportunities for her.
BTR1701
2018-06-16 17:14:59 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Not just limited opportunities for black women, but black women like her
specifically. She ain't exactly dainty.

E.g., even when Omarosa was part of the administration, they couldn't
have credibly used Jones to portray her.
trotsky
2018-06-17 09:49:48 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by shawn
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Yes, the credibility aspect of the absurd is very important.

You fucking idiot.
Ubiquitous
2018-06-16 22:25:16 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
I disagree. Anything with potential to be funny is destroyed by
excessive repetition and what I call "stretching a 15 second joke into
15 minutes".
FPP
2018-06-16 23:28:22 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Gotta agree. The Trump presidency is wearing a little thin...
Sure, it was funny at first.
--
"I'm all the way down now. I can see all the way to the bottom.
They said there were two fathers, one above, one below.
back down at you." -James Delos (Westworld 5-12-18)
Ubiquitous
trotsky
2018-06-17 09:50:26 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Ubiquitous
In an interview published on Wednesday, The Wrap spoke with Leslie
Jones about the next season of "Saturday Night Live," which she said
Comedy is a release just like art and music. All of that
is the same thing. You need that release. It can’t always
be serious. You need The Three Stooges just as much as you
need John Oliver.
To be clear, Jones still insisted that political commentary is a
There was so much stuff that was happening, there was no
way that our show, with the responsibility that we have,
would not to cover that stuff. It was just too important.
But I do hope that next year will be a lot more funny-funny
based stuff, more comedy based stuff instead of a lot of
political stuff.
The political stuff is the only thing that actually is funny on your
show these days,
A Libertarian telling us what's funny. That's funny.

J.B. Nicholson
2018-06-16 20:24:05 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
In an interview published on Wednesday, The Wrap spoke with Leslie
Jones about the next season of "Saturday Night Live," which she said
Comedy is a release just like art and music. All of that
is the same thing. You need that release. It can't always
be serious. You need The Three Stooges just as much as you
need John Oliver.
It's telling and sad that John Oliver's US permanent government/deep
state-favoring propaganda (see
and
for example) is what is
said here to pass for "being serious".
Post by Ubiquitous
Jones' primary concern seems to be over-saturation combined with a lack
of originality. She told The Wrap that she doesn't want to "talk about
what everybody else is talking about," and that many comics are
The comics today are -- it's stressful to go to a comedy
show, because that's all they're going to do is just talk
about that. No one just gets up and does a simple joke that
makes you laugh.
Stressful if one is trying to get a job on SNL, perhaps. Less
stressful if one is trying to make funny comedy (including political
humor) which doesn't try to champion power or please corporate
media. It's almost as if Jones' views conflict with those of her
employer (and other Hollywood employers). She can't get what she's
after because she wants something outside the allowable limits of
debate while corporate media exists to firmly establish those limits
and bicker vigorously within those narrow limits in order to make it
seem like there's actual debate going on.

Trump Derangement Syndrome is a mainstay of corporate media now and is
also a good reason to spend time watching and reading other
things. Part of Trump Derangement Syndrome means talking about
whatever topics are vetted by CNN (despite losing 25% of their viewers
and falling behind their competitors per
from 1 week ago) to pass
for news and ignoring topics that, with a proper framing, make certain
groups look bad.

Redacted Tonight does what Jones is calling for here: Redacted Tonight
covers topics not covered widely elsewhere
is a recent example) and
has no problem calling out the horrors of capitalism, endless war, US
misallocating trillions of dollars (which would pay for ending world
hunger, pay for every American to get health care, lifelong jobs
programs building & repairing infrastructure, and more) including
pointing out Trump's weak administration continuing horrible policies
(such as
SNL doesn't
talk about this stuff in the context of continuing policy across
administrations because such talk makes their politician friends look
like the war criminals and war supporters they are.
Post by Ubiquitous
Jones is echoing a certain portion of the "SNL" fanbase who are tiring
of the ever-present and increasingly unfunny political sketches based
around President Trump and his team. Time will tell whether or not her
remarks will make an impact in the long-running sketch comedy series'
writers room.
I never found SNL to be politically astute or to be that funny. So I
see this as no major deviation from what went before.