[OT] Phoney as a three dollar bill....
2017-02-28 18:33:31 UTC
The Canadian government has just announced that they are creating a $3
coin to commemorate Canada's 150th birthday this year. (We became a
sovereign country in July 1, 1867.)

We abandoned the $1 bill in favour of a $1 coin 20 odd years back; the
$2 bill also disappeared in favour of a $2 coin not long after. I'm not
a numismatist (coin collector) but I don't think we've ever had a coin
or bill worth $3 so this new coin isn't replacing anything in current usage.

I don't know what possessed the Canadian Mint to create a coin with this
denomination, especially given the well-known expression "as phoney as a
three dollar bill". It would have made more sense to have a $5 coin -
even if it wasn't intended to replace the $5 bill - but I really don't
see the point of a $3 coin....

Anyway, I suppose the reason I'm mentioning it is to let everyone from
other countries know that if you visit Canada and someone gives you a $3
coin in your change, it's probably NOT counterfeit.

---
2017-02-28 18:41:17 UTC
[...]
Iirc, expect a measurable bounce in the value of Canadian currency,
owing to collectors seizing on the oddity and squirreling many away.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Michael Black
2017-02-28 19:53:38 UTC
The Canadian government has just announced that they are creating a $3 coin
to commemorate Canada's 150th birthday this year. (We became a sovereign
country in July 1, 1867.)
It's not really Confederation until Manitoba joined. So hold off for a
few years, and then we can have Louis Riel Loonie. No pun intended.
We abandoned the $1 bill in favour of a $1 coin 20 odd years back; the $2
bill also disappeared in favour of a $2 coin not long after. I'm not a
numismatist (coin collector) but I don't think we've ever had a coin or bill
worth $3 so this new coin isn't replacing anything in current usage.
I thought your subject header was telling us something, that this story
isn't legit.

Is it really a coin intended for circulation? The Mint seems to issue a
lot of coins that have too much value to go into circulation.

I was looking at some of the coins that will be released this year, sort
of an update on the special coins released in 1967, but I didn't notice a
$3 coin.

Michael
anim8rfsk
2017-02-28 20:00:42 UTC
Post by Michael Black
[...]
Sounds like a commemorative thing. Costs $20.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/2017/02/28/royal-canadian-mint-three-
dollar-coin.html
Michael Black
2017-02-28 21:44:39 UTC
Post by Michael Black
[...]
Yes, I checked after posting. No wonder I didn't notice it. I was
looking for actual money, and there will be some regular coins to mark the
150th birthday.

Besides, a coin is just not the same thing as a "three dollar bill".

But it does have a salmon on it.

Michael
Neill Massello
2017-02-28 23:47:00 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Besides, a coin is just not the same thing as a "three dollar bill".
Still, it sounds fishy to me.
Yup.
Rhino
2017-02-28 22:27:11 UTC
Post by Rhino
We abandoned the $1 bill in favour of a $1 coin 20 odd years back; the
$2 bill also disappeared in favour of a $2 coin not long after. I'm
not a numismatist (coin collector) but I don't think we've ever had a
coin or bill worth $3 so this new coin isn't replacing anything in
current usage.
I thought your subject header was telling us something, that this story
isn't legit.
Is it really a coin intended for circulation? The Mint seems to issue a
lot of coins that have too much value to go into circulation.
I was looking at some of the coins that will be released this year, sort
of an update on the special coins released in 1967, but I didn't notice
a $3 coin.
http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/2017/02/28/royal-canadian-mint-three-dollar-coin.html

You raise a good point. In rereading the article, it looks like this is
a "decorative" coin, as opposed to a "spendable" one. As I said, I'm not
a coin collector but don't mints sometimes issue coins that are
collectable but that you can't actually spend in stores. If so, this $3
coin may be one of those....

---
Michael Black
2017-03-01 04:28:12 UTC
Post by Rhino
[...]
From noticing such things in the past, I think it's legit currency, but
you wouldn't want to spend it since you'll have to pay way more to buy it
than the face value. Spend it in a store, and the clerk will likely
replace it with their own three dollars, and then have something worth at
least $20, and maybe more if the value ever goes up. The Mint does a lot
of that, they've had some "collector's editions" of regular coins (or
special regular coins, like the quarter with the poppy in red, except the
collector's one is even fancier), which were somehow more impressive than
the regular coins.

Michael
A Friend
2017-02-28 21:19:54 UTC
The Canadian government has just announced that they are creating a $3
coin to commemorate Canada's 150th birthday this year. (We became a
sovereign country in July 1, 1867.)
That would be your Sesquicentennial, and congratulations.

Reminds me that Hyperman must be getting pretty old by now.
Rhino
2017-02-28 22:29:38 UTC
The Canadian government has just announced that they are creating a $3
coin to commemorate Canada's 150th birthday this year. (We became a
sovereign country in July 1, 1867.)
That would be your Sesquicentennial, and congratulations.
Thank you :-)
Post by A Friend
Reminds me that Hyperman must be getting pretty old by now.
Hyperman? Or Harperman? ;-)

[Some critics of our previous Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, invented a
figure they called Harperman, presumably a take-off on Hyperman....]

---
2017-02-28 22:54:45 UTC
Post by A Friend
Reminds me that Hyperman must be getting pretty old by now.
Hyperman? Or Harperman? ;-)
[Some critics of our previous Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, invented a
figure they called Harperman, presumably a take-off on Hyperman....]
The reference to Hyperman was way, way inside-baseball. See Superman
v1 #200, October 1967. (Googling that issue would probably be just as
useful.)
Rhino
2017-02-28 23:32:37 UTC
Post by A Friend
Reminds me that Hyperman must be getting pretty old by now.
Hyperman? Or Harperman? ;-)
[Some critics of our previous Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, invented a
figure they called Harperman, presumably a take-off on Hyperman....]
The reference to Hyperman was way, way inside-baseball. See Superman
v1 #200, October 1967. (Googling that issue would probably be just as
useful.)
I have no knowledge (or interest) in baseball so I never would have
figured that one out :-)

---
What negro or half-accomplished female will be on it?
Michael Black
2017-03-01 04:34:43 UTC
[...]
No, VIola Desmond will be on the ten dollar bill.

This $3 coin is a collage, so there's a polar bear (unless it's a
grizzly), I think the CN tower, a beaver, and lots of other things,
including the almight salmon. I'm not sure why they didn't just issue the
design as a regular coin.

There was a contest last year to come up with some 150th designs for the
coins this year, but I'm not sure they have a special design for the $1 or
$2 coin, the set I was looking at at the Canadian Mint site had some
regular coins too. I think the special coins get released only in July.

Michael
anim8rfsk
2017-03-01 04:48:53 UTC
Post by Michael Black
[...]
You'd think there'd be a press release describing it, but I can't find
it.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/2017/02/28/royal-canadian-mint-three-
dollar-coin.html

"festooned with hockey sticks, canoes, lobster pots and other totems of
Canadian life"

I don't see any lobster pots, unless they are supposed to be lobster
traps in the lower right.

Ah, here we go, from the mint site:

Design:
Canadian artist Laurie McGaw has created a fun and uplifting collage of
the places and things that make Canada great. Clockwise from the top:
hockey sticks and puck, snowflakes, polar bear, inukshuk, Parliament
Hill, Canadian flag, maple syrup, lighthouse, lobster traps, toboggan,
Canada goose, canoe, beaver, moose, black spruce tree, Beaver plane,
salmon, wheat, cowboy boot, mountains. The elements are roughly placed
in an east/west/north/south orientation to reflect their location on a
Canadian map. Together, they encircle a maple leaf that is the heart of
the design--and the heart of this nation. Proudly engraved with "150
YEARS/ANS". - See more at:
http://www.mint.ca/store/coins/coin-prod2890130?&rcmiid=ban|homepage|caro
usel|storecoinscoin-prod2890130langenCA#.WLZR5kurlbr
Michael Black
2017-03-01 18:25:36 UTC
Post by Michael Black
[...]
So in the opinion of someone from the US, do you think it has the right
and enough cliches about Canada?

Michael
anim8rfsk
2017-03-01 21:14:36 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
No. Seriously, there's no Mountie? That's the first thing we think of,
red uniformed Mounties on horseback. Most of the rest of the stuff
isn't easily identifiable to a USAer, and/or isn't identified uniquely
with Canada.
Michael Black
2017-03-01 21:45:59 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
That's a good point, though as I said some weeks back, Mounties no longer
look like the stereotyped Mountie except on formal occasions.

I thought I saw snowshoes, which would reassure the people who come up
here and expect to find a land of ice and snow, all year around. I'm not
sure how much of that is a joke, and what might be reality.

Michael
anim8rfsk
2017-03-01 22:02:10 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
Oh, and I'd have *never* gotten the part where the stuff on the coin is
arranged to match where it is in Canada ...
2017-03-01 23:26:55 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
One of my friends in Toronto told me that they always had a laugh at
American
tourists crossing the border with snowmobiles in tow, as if they were
going to go snowmobiling :-) Mind you, these were memories from the 60s
and 70s; I'm not sure if that still happens routinely ;-)

---
Michael Black
2017-03-02 03:48:03 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
People used to joke about that.

But, I thought at one point I'd seen some reality related to this, but it
was a long time ago. So it's hard to tell.

There were all those National Film Board films, which I assume got some
viewing in American schools. I remember one where someone is trying to
get up river to pan for gold, and each spring he builds a boat and tries
to get up. It seemed so tragic, yet much later I realized it was a story,
if he really wanted to get up there, he'd just have to ask the film crew
for help. I did a search a few years ago, even found the title, but have
forgotten.

I don't know if anyone in the US saw The Forest Rangers, but that of
course had the Mounties in Red, and bush pilots, and people talking with a
French accent.

Michael
anim8rfsk
2017-03-02 04:06:11 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
-
[...]
We actually have, because THE FOREST RANGERS starred Graydon Gould, who
was the voice (and fair resemblance) of Mike Mercury on SUPERCAR, so my
SUPERCAR fan groups wanted to see the man in action!
Michael Black
2017-03-02 18:30:12 UTC
Post by Michael Black
I don't know if anyone in the US saw The Forest Rangers, but that of
course had the Mounties in Red, and bush pilots, and people talking with a
French accent.
Michael
We actually have, because THE FOREST RANGERS starred Graydon Gould, who
was the voice (and fair resemblance) of Mike Mercury on SUPERCAR, so my
SUPERCAR fan groups wanted to see the man in action!
But that wasn't at the time, was it? IN 1963, Americans probably knew a
lot less about Canada, and the show provided all those stereotpes. I did
watch it at the time, so I must have seen it when it was part of "Razzle
Dazzle", which I mentioned recently was where Alan Hamel (Suzanne SOmers
husband) probably got his start.

Imagine having an old fort as a clubhouse. That never happened anywhere
else.

I've always assumed that Gordon Pinsent was on "Due SOuth" because he sort
of started out as a Mountie on "The FOrest Rangers".

The show ran "forever" as reruns, though I haven't seen it in decades now.

Michael
anim8rfsk
2017-03-02 19:26:55 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
I don't know if anyone in the US saw The Forest Rangers, but that of
course had the Mounties in Red, and bush pilots, and people talking with a
French accent.
Michael
We actually have, because THE FOREST RANGERS starred Graydon Gould, who
was the voice (and fair resemblance) of Mike Mercury on SUPERCAR, so my
SUPERCAR fan groups wanted to see the man in action!
But that wasn't at the time, was it?
No, that was more like in the 21st Century.

Post by Michael Black
lot less about Canada, and the show provided all those stereotpes. I did
watch it at the time, so I must have seen it when it was part of "Razzle
Dazzle", which I mentioned recently was where Alan Hamel (Suzanne SOmers
husband) probably got his start.
Imagine having an old fort as a clubhouse. That never happened anywhere
else.
I've always assumed that Gordon Pinsent was on "Due SOuth" because he sort
of started out as a Mountie on "The FOrest Rangers".
I did not know that. Cool.
2017-03-02 20:34:08 UTC
Post by Michael Black
I've always assumed that Gordon Pinsent was on "Due SOuth" because he sort
of started out as a Mountie on "The FOrest Rangers".
I did not know that. Cool.
Gordon Pinsent played the U.S. president in the film Colossus: The
Forbin Project. No lie, he was one of the best fake presidents I've
ever seen on film.
anim8rfsk
Michael Black
2017-03-02 22:02:57 UTC
Post by Michael Black
I've always assumed that Gordon Pinsent was on "Due SOuth" because he sort
of started out as a Mountie on "The FOrest Rangers".
I did not know that. Cool.
Gordon Pinsent played the U.S. president in the film Colossus: The
Forbin Project. No lie, he was one of the best fake presidents I've
ever seen on film.
I saw the film when it first aired on tv, but have no real recollection of
who was in it. SOmehow the one scene that sticks in my mind is the one
where he wants to confer with someone, so they pretend to have sex, and
Colossus makes sure by requiring them to be naked together, or something
like that.

Michael
A Friend
2017-03-02 22:25:37 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by Michael Black
I've always assumed that Gordon Pinsent was on "Due SOuth" because he sort
of started out as a Mountie on "The FOrest Rangers".
I did not know that. Cool.
Gordon Pinsent played the U.S. president in the film Colossus: The
Forbin Project. No lie, he was one of the best fake presidents I've
ever seen on film.
I saw the film when it first aired on tv, but have no real recollection of
who was in it. SOmehow the one scene that sticks in my mind is the one
where he wants to confer with someone, so they pretend to have sex, and
Colossus makes sure by requiring them to be naked together, or something
like that.
Yeah. The sequence was edited for TV, of course, but in the film Susan
Clark's full-frontal nudity is masked by a wine glass, with the
naughtiest bits blocked by the wine remaining in the glass. PG-13,
maybe.

Certainly, in this case, the glass was half-empty.
anim8rfsk
2017-03-02 22:59:51 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by Michael Black
[...]
Good thing she decided to do PLAYBOY then!

http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/t25814-susan-clark.html
I'll have to check but I think I have that issue.
A Friend
2017-03-03 04:09:02 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by Michael Black
[...]
As the Old Ones say, nudity is much better without a wine glass
blocking it. Thanks!
Adam H. Kerman
2017-03-02 23:58:46 UTC
Post by Michael Black
I've always assumed that Gordon Pinsent was on "Due SOuth" because he sort
of started out as a Mountie on "The FOrest Rangers".
I did not know that. Cool.
Gordon Pinsent played the U.S. president in the film Colossus: The
Forbin Project. No lie, he was one of the best fake presidents I've
ever seen on film.
I didn't remember that at all. Good recollection!

That's such a good movie. What became of Susan Clark? I haven't seen
her in anything in 20 years, if not longer.
anim8rfsk
2017-03-03 00:45:21 UTC
Post by Michael Black
I've always assumed that Gordon Pinsent was on "Due SOuth" because he sort
of started out as a Mountie on "The FOrest Rangers".
I did not know that. Cool.
Gordon Pinsent played the U.S. president in the film Colossus: The
Forbin Project. No lie, he was one of the best fake presidents I've
ever seen on film.
I didn't remember that at all. Good recollection!
That's such a good movie. What became of Susan Clark? I haven't seen
her in anything in 20 years, if not longer.
IMDb says she gave up movies and TV at the end of the 20th Century as
does regional theater near Ian.
Ah. So this is his fault as well?
Michael Black
2017-03-03 03:27:41 UTC
Post by Michael Black
I've always assumed that Gordon Pinsent was on "Due SOuth" because he sort
of started out as a Mountie on "The FOrest Rangers".
I did not know that. Cool.
Gordon Pinsent played the U.S. president in the film Colossus: The
Forbin Project. No lie, he was one of the best fake presidents I've
ever seen on film.
I didn't remember that at all. Good recollection!
That's such a good movie. What became of Susan Clark? I haven't seen
her in anything in 20 years, if not longer.
IMDb says she gave up movies and TV at the end of the 20th Century as
does regional theater near Ian.
Is she still married to "Mongo"? Wait, he died in 2012, either I missed
that or forgot. But she's Canadian, something I didn't know.

Michael
A Friend
2017-03-03 04:13:32 UTC
Post by Michael Black
I've always assumed that Gordon Pinsent was on "Due SOuth" because he sort
of started out as a Mountie on "The FOrest Rangers".
I did not know that. Cool.
Gordon Pinsent played the U.S. president in the film Colossus: The
Forbin Project. No lie, he was one of the best fake presidents I've
ever seen on film.
I didn't remember that at all. Good recollection!
That's such a good movie. What became of Susan Clark? I haven't seen
her in anything in 20 years, if not longer.
She's been doing stage work. Here's a catch-up article from 2013,
along with some contemporary pics:

https://thisstage.la/2013/04/susan-clarks-acting-habitat-extends-to-ltc/
Adam H. Kerman
Thanks for finding that.
A Friend
2017-03-02 04:03:13 UTC
One of my friends in Toronto told me that they always had a laugh at
American tourists crossing the border with snowmobiles in tow, as if
they were going to go snowmobiling :-) Mind you, these were memories
from the 60s and 70s; I'm not sure if that still happens routinely
;-)
My wife's family took a cross-country trip by car when she was 11 or
so; call it 1962. Her great-grandmother was terribly worried that they
would be attacked by Indians.
Michael Black
2017-03-02 18:24:23 UTC
One of my friends in Toronto told me that they always had a laugh at
American tourists crossing the border with snowmobiles in tow, as if
they were going to go snowmobiling :-) Mind you, these were memories
from the 60s and 70s; I'm not sure if that still happens routinely
;-)
My wife's family took a cross-country trip by car when she was 11 or
so; call it 1962. Her great-grandmother was terribly worried that they
would be attacked by Indians.
To be fair, lots of indians were attacking daily on tv at that time. Even
the women who married Europeans often brought "baggage" on tv, the brother
who disliked the white people or whatever.

It's not unlike older people worried about going out because they are
afraid, they see all the news and maybe the fictional programming, and
decide it's a vicious world out there, so better to stay in.

Michael
Rhino
2017-03-02 19:17:45 UTC
One of my friends in Toronto told me that they always had a laugh at
American tourists crossing the border with snowmobiles in tow, as if
they were going to go snowmobiling :-) Mind you, these were memories
from the 60s and 70s; I'm not sure if that still happens routinely
;-)
My wife's family took a cross-country trip by car when she was 11 or
so; call it 1962. Her great-grandmother was terribly worried that they
would be attacked by Indians.
That's more likely *now* than it would have been then.

Remember that old movie cliche: "The natives are getting restless"?
We've had some tense confrontations since the whole Oka crisis when they
shot a police sniper out of a tree. Then there was the Dudley George
incident at Ipperwash. There have also been several train stoppages and
many months of scuffles in the Caledonia area. That's not to say
tourists are getting scalped as they drive down the road but it's not
*quite* as placid as it was in the early 60s....

---
2017-03-01 23:25:01 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
You do realize that the red serge uniform, stetson and horse normally
associated with the Mounties is strictly for ceremonial occasions? :-)

Ordinary mounties wear a rather different uniform and would probably
look like normal police to you. (They *are* normal police in all
provinces and territories except Ontario and Quebec, which have their
own provincial police, much like your state police forces.)

---
2017-03-01 23:42:18 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
Hey, I watched Due South.

But this is a historical commemorative coin, right? One assumes you
could use any uniform from any era. Hell, how about future Mounties in
jetpacks?

At least give me the hat.
2017-03-01 23:59:52 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
He wore the red serge if memory serves....

In case you're wondering, the "everyday" uniform is depicted in this
article, a bit past the bookmark:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Mounted_Police#History_of_the_RCMP_uniform

I live in Ontario so I almost never see the everyday uniform.
Post by anim8rfsk
But this is a historical commemorative coin, right? One assumes you
could use any uniform from any era. Hell, how about future Mounties in
jetpacks?
That'd be cool :-)
Post by anim8rfsk
At least give me the hat.
Are you sure you want the hat? If you're a Sikh in the Mounties, you can
actually wear a turban. They also allow a hijab if you happen to be a
woman Muslim officer although I don't *think* there are actually any
such officers yet. (I've never heard of Jewish officers wearing
yarmulkes but then I'm not sure there are any Jewish Mounties.)

---
2017-03-02 02:02:20 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
He wore brown serge day to day:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6a/aa/0f/6aaa0f6ff37f17421
7c8673d626450e7.jpg

And they had the overcoats:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/09/d2/f6/09d2f680942bcecf6
69b3aac375ed9e9.jpg

But any chance they got:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/85/c5/5b/85c55bcb0c59387a7
cfdc33020941c88.jpg
Post by Rhino
In case you're wondering, the "everyday" uniform is depicted in this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Mounted_Police#History_of_the_RCM
P_uniform
Post by anim8rfsk
But this is a historical commemorative coin, right? One assumes you
could use any uniform from any era. Hell, how about future Mounties in
jetpacks?
That'd be cool :-)
I'd have settled for a bubble space helmet big enough to enclose the
hat, but I did find this:
https://speculatingcanada.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/rocket-age-mountie-
speculating-canada-image.jpg?w=1400
and
and ... I had no idea:
and
At least give me the hat.
Are you sure you want the hat? If you're a Sikh in the Mounties, you can
actually wear a turban.
in case anybody thought you were kidding
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/6e/6d/a6/6e6da664eb19559ccf0d5a
d745701f56.jpg
I like this better:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/69/c5/a9/69c5a92c4e4edb8d2f3f96
b02ee4032d.jpg

Post by Rhino
woman Muslim officer although I don't *think* there are actually any
such officers yet.
erivatives/original_620/wafa-dabbagh.jpg

Post by Rhino
yarmulkes but then I'm not sure there are any Jewish Mounties.)
For some reason that search brought up this:
#4 looks just like my cousin ...
2017-03-02 19:24:34 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
But this is a historical commemorative coin, right? One assumes you
could use any uniform from any era. Hell, how about future Mounties in
jetpacks?
That'd be cool :-)
I'd have settled for a bubble space helmet big enough to enclose the
https://speculatingcanada.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/rocket-age-mountie-
speculating-canada-image.jpg?w=1400
and
https://speculatingcanada.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/alien-mountie.jpg
https://comiclists.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/spacemounties1.jpg
and
http://salieri.bonuspoints.net/DS/frazettafraser1.jpg
At least give me the hat.
Are you sure you want the hat? If you're a Sikh in the Mounties, you can
actually wear a turban.
in case anybody thought you were kidding
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/6e/6d/a6/6e6da664eb19559ccf0d5a
d745701f56.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/69/c5/a9/69c5a92c4e4edb8d2f3f96
b02ee4032d.jpg
I can see why you prefer the second picture ;-)
Post by Rhino
woman Muslim officer although I don't *think* there are actually any
such officers yet.
http://i.cbc.ca/1.3734398.1472067488!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/d
erivatives/original_620/wafa-dabbagh.jpg
I think they hired someone to model the Mountie hijab to help persuade
prospective recruits that they weren't Islamophobic. That's probably
her. Then again, they may have actually hired some by now in their zeal
to be politically correct during a Liberal government.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1329/4594416861_dafc591531_b.jpg
#4 looks just like my cousin ...
Nice!

---
Michael Black
2017-03-02 03:55:22 UTC
Hey, I watched Due South.
He wore the red serge if memory serves....
In case you're wondering, the "everyday" uniform is depicted in this article,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Mounted_Police#History_of_the_RCMP_uniform
I live in Ontario so I almost never see the everyday uniform.
Really? When I was walking the dog, a Mountie car drove past. Though
they aren't as frequent as when Mulroney lived up the hill from here. But
there is a Mountie complex a few blocks away, and they do Federal type law
enforcement. So even in Quebec, I see them quite a bit.
Post by anim8rfsk
At least give me the hat.
Are you sure you want the hat? If you're a Sikh in the Mounties, you can
actually wear a turban. They also allow a hijab if you happen to be a woman
Muslim officer although I don't *think* there are actually any such officers
yet. (I've never heard of Jewish officers wearing yarmulkes but then I'm not
sure there are any Jewish Mounties.)
ANd don't forget, if you're native, you can wear braids. Though I don't
know if you can braid your hair if you aren't native.

I kind of thought that one could just wear a yarmulke under the hat, but I
don't know enough about Jewish rules to know if that is legit.

Michael
Adam H. Kerman
2017-03-02 16:46:22 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
At least give me the hat.
Are you sure you want the hat? If you're a Sikh in the Mounties, you can
actually wear a turban. They also allow a hijab if you happen to be a woman
Muslim officer although I don't *think* there are actually any such officers
yet. (I've never heard of Jewish officers wearing yarmulkes but then I'm not
sure there are any Jewish Mounties.)
ANd don't forget, if you're native, you can wear braids. Though I don't
know if you can braid your hair if you aren't native.
I kind of thought that one could just wear a yarmulke under the hat, but I
don't know enough about Jewish rules to know if that is legit.
The requirement in religious law is that a man's head must be covered.
There's no reason to wear a cap under a hat.
Rhino
2017-03-02 19:34:18 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
At least give me the hat.
Are you sure you want the hat? If you're a Sikh in the Mounties, you can
actually wear a turban. They also allow a hijab if you happen to be a woman
Muslim officer although I don't *think* there are actually any such officers
yet. (I've never heard of Jewish officers wearing yarmulkes but then I'm not
sure there are any Jewish Mounties.)
ANd don't forget, if you're native, you can wear braids. Though I don't
know if you can braid your hair if you aren't native.
I kind of thought that one could just wear a yarmulke under the hat, but I
don't know enough about Jewish rules to know if that is legit.
The requirement in religious law is that a man's head must be covered.
There's no reason to wear a cap under a hat.
I didn't see that you'd already addressed Michael's point :-)

That makes sense: if the object is to cover the head, then any hat will
do. I wasn't sure if the yarmulke was a special kind of hat that had to
be worn for its own sake but it appears not from what you've said.

---
2017-03-02 20:17:06 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
It's Yiddish. It's kippah in Hebrew. It just means brimless hat. I usually
carry one of the cheap black nylon ones in the pocket of a jacket from
a dark suit that I wear to funerals.
Michael Black
2017-03-02 22:01:32 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I had always heard "yarmulke" but suddenly in recent years I was hearing
"kippah". No explanation of why there was a new word. But suddenly
everyone else was using "kippah", content to follow along and be
"politically correct" without looking any further to see why it was a
different word.

So I'm glad to know now why.

SOmeone gave me a vest years ago, and it came with a complementary
yarmulke in the pocket, ready just in case occasion arose. I'm sure it
was there because my friend had kept it handy for himself.

Michael
A Friend
2017-03-02 22:35:28 UTC
Post by Michael Black
SOmeone gave me a vest years ago, and it came with a complementary
yarmulke in the pocket, ready just in case occasion arose. I'm sure it
was there because my friend had kept it handy for himself.
I grew up Irish Catholic and even I have one of those cheap ones Adam
mentioned. Wore it at a funeral service about 45 years ago; there was
a pile of them on a table in the lobby. It felt wrong to just get rid
of it, so I stored it with some other stuff from that time.

My old apartment had a mezuzah on the door sill, a legacy from some
previous tenant. I left it up for luck. It was still there when I
moved out thirteen years later. I actually missed it for a while.
Hope it's still there.
Adam H. Kerman
2017-03-03 00:13:32 UTC
Post by Michael Black
SOmeone gave me a vest years ago, and it came with a complementary
yarmulke in the pocket, ready just in case occasion arose. I'm sure it
was there because my friend had kept it handy for himself.
I grew up Irish Catholic and even I have one of those cheap ones Adam
mentioned. Wore it at a funeral service about 45 years ago; there was
a pile of them on a table in the lobby. It felt wrong to just get rid
of it, so I stored it with some other stuff from that time.
My old apartment had a mezuzah on the door sill, a legacy from some
previous tenant. I left it up for luck. It was still there when I
moved out thirteen years later. I actually missed it for a while.
Hope it's still there.
It has a bit of parchment in it with the Sh'ma, one of the prayers said
morning and evening.

Hear O Israel
The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Ehad

Pardon any mistakes in the transliteration.
A Friend
Thanks.
Adam H. Kerman
2017-03-03 00:06:32 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Honestly, I don't always remember which words are Hebrew and which are
Yiddish.
Post by Rhino
SOmeone gave me a vest years ago, and it came with a complementary
yarmulke in the pocket, ready just in case occasion arose. I'm sure it
was there because my friend had kept it handy for himself.
I'll let you in on a secret: There's a higher degree of religious
observation among men on the head covering issue whose bald spots can be
covered by yarmulkes.
Rhino
2017-03-02 23:47:24 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I had heard both terms and wasn't sure what the difference was; thanks
for explaining that.

One of my friends died in a car accident when I was at university; he
was Jewish and I attended the service. I remember arriving at the
synagogue and seeing everyone reaching into a box for kippahs but wasn't
sure whether I should be wearing one (as a non-Jew). Most of his friends
and family were Jewish so that wasn't much help but I knew that one
guy's girlfriend was Christian and *she* was wearing one so I figured it
must be appropriate. I put one on and no one objected so I realized it
was okay :-)

Years later, a Jewish friend and I went to a Catholic funeral and my
friend put a kippah on. I asked him about it afterwards and he said it
just signified a reverence for God and said it was perfectly appropriate
for a Catholic church. Again, no one said anything about it so I assume
we didn't commit any major social blunders. :-)

---
2017-03-03 00:27:24 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
At synagogue, you'd have been glared at if you didn't put one on. It's
optional at a Reform temple, but they still provide them.

Your friend wore it because it's supposed to be worn during prayer.
I suppose the Orthodox (and many Conservatives) wear it because one
might pray at any time.
Rhino
2017-03-02 19:31:34 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Hey, I watched Due South.
He wore the red serge if memory serves....
In case you're wondering, the "everyday" uniform is depicted in this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Mounted_Police#History_of_the_RCMP_uniform
I live in Ontario so I almost never see the everyday uniform.
Really? When I was walking the dog, a Mountie car drove past. Though
they aren't as frequent as when Mulroney lived up the hill from here.
But there is a Mountie complex a few blocks away, and they do Federal
type law enforcement. So even in Quebec, I see them quite a bit.
Well, you *do* live a Mountie complex so this isn't too surprising.

I don't think I ever saw an everyday uniform in real life (as opposed to
a news story) until 1994 when my brother and I were the victims in a car
crash. This was in Manitoba so the Mounties responded.

The second time was a few years later when I saw a pair of Mounties
outside my local passport office. At first I thought they were local
police but the uniform wasn't right: then I realized that they were
Mounties guarding a federal facility.
Post by anim8rfsk
At least give me the hat.
Are you sure you want the hat? If you're a Sikh in the Mounties, you
can actually wear a turban. They also allow a hijab if you happen to
be a woman Muslim officer although I don't *think* there are actually
any such officers yet. (I've never heard of Jewish officers wearing
yarmulkes but then I'm not sure there are any Jewish Mounties.)
ANd don't forget, if you're native, you can wear braids. Though I don't
know if you can braid your hair if you aren't native.
What about dreadlocks if you're a Rastafarian? Or cornrows if you're black?
Post by Michael Black
I kind of thought that one could just wear a yarmulke under the hat, but
I don't know enough about Jewish rules to know if that is legit.
I'm really not sure. If Adam is in this thread, perhaps he could let us
know.

---
2017-03-02 03:59:50 UTC
Now *there's* an idea for a series.
TeeJay1952
2017-03-02 07:44:49 UTC
I've never heard of Jewish officers wearing yarmulkes but then I'm
not sure there are any Jewish Mounties.
Now *there's* an idea for a series.
Northern Exposure was close.
Tee Jay
Michael Black
2017-03-02 03:51:21 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
The hat wasn't even original. They started out with one of those
"pillbox" hats, and at some point changed to the "Smokey the bear" hat.
But originally they were the NorthWest Mounted Police, so perhaps
technically the good hat came with the name change. There was a time when
I knew the history better, I think I did project on it. And there was the
time I dressed as a Mountie for some event, wearing my red parka with the
hood stuffed inside, and borrowing the Man From Uncle holster from the kid
across the street, all I had was Western style holsters for my capguns.

Michael
anim8rfsk
2017-03-02 04:03:41 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by Michael Black
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Michael Black
[...]
The M.O.U.N.T.I.E. from U.N.C.L.E.

I like it!
2017-03-02 16:37:00 UTC
Hey, I watched Due South.
I loved Due South. They'd do location shooting in Chicago a few weeks
each season, never with the main cast. It always cracked me up that
they chose seemingly random buildings to stand in for places that
were mentioned in script. The city hall entrance was the entrance to
some random office building, as an example.
anim8rfsk
2017-03-02 16:43:36 UTC
Hey, I watched Due South.
I loved Due South. They'd do location shooting in Chicago a few weeks
each season, never with the main cast. It always cracked me up that
they chose seemingly random buildings to stand in for places that
were mentioned in script. The city hall entrance was the entrance to
some random office building, as an example.
heh

It worked for me, but then I've only ever been to Chicago to change
planes.
Location shootings with the main cast looked oddly like Toronto.
anim8rfsk
2017-03-02 17:49:32 UTC
Hey, I watched Due South.
I loved Due South. They'd do location shooting in Chicago a few weeks
each season, never with the main cast. It always cracked me up that
they chose seemingly random buildings to stand in for places that
were mentioned in script. The city hall entrance was the entrance to
some random office building, as an example.
heh
It worked for me, but then I've only ever been to Chicago to change
planes.
Location shootings with the main cast looked oddly like Toronto.
I only know what Toronto looked like 115 years ago.
Michael Black
2017-03-02 18:52:11 UTC
Hey, I watched Due South.
I loved Due South. They'd do location shooting in Chicago a few weeks
each season, never with the main cast. It always cracked me up that
they chose seemingly random buildings to stand in for places that
were mentioned in script. The city hall entrance was the entrance to
some random office building, as an example.
heh
It worked for me, but then I've only ever been to Chicago to change
planes.
Location shootings with the main cast looked oddly like Toronto.
I only know what Toronto looked like 115 years ago.
Does city hall have that futuristic look to it even back then?

Michael
anim8rfsk
2017-03-02 20:00:20 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Hey, I watched Due South.
I loved Due South. They'd do location shooting in Chicago a few weeks
each season, never with the main cast. It always cracked me up that
they chose seemingly random buildings to stand in for places that
were mentioned in script. The city hall entrance was the entrance to
some random office building, as an example.
heh
It worked for me, but then I've only ever been to Chicago to change
planes.
Location shootings with the main cast looked oddly like Toronto.
I only know what Toronto looked like 115 years ago.
Does city hall have that futuristic look to it even back then?
First, the building you're describing is at Nathan Phillips Square and
that was only finished in 1965; the previous City Hall is a court
building now if I remember correctly and it did NOT look futuristic at
all; I doubt it even looked futuristic when it was built, probably
around the time when Murdoch Mysteries was set. I vaguely remember a
dowdy Victorian Era building.

Here's a Wikipedia article on the current City Hall:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_City_Hall

and here's one on the old City Hall which it replaced (it was built in
1899, around the time of Murdoch Mysteries):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_City_Hall_(Toronto)

I'm not quite sure what they're using the current City Hall for these
days, given that it was only the city hall for the old City of Toronto,
which did not include the five boroughs. The City of Toronto and the
boroughs amalgamated to form Metropolitan Toronto around 1990 and they
built themselves a whole new facility called Metro Hall.

---
Hahahahahahahahahahaha
BTR1701
2017-03-02 17:43:53 UTC
Hey, I watched Due South.
I loved Due South. They'd do location shooting in Chicago a few weeks
each season, never with the main cast. It always cracked me up that
they chose seemingly random buildings to stand in for places that
were mentioned in script. The city hall entrance was the entrance to
some random office building, as an example.
On TRAINING DAY, the establishling shot of LAPD headquarters is strangely
the Creative Artists Agency building in Century City, rather than the
actual police HQ downtown.
Adam H. Kerman
2017-03-02 19:52:27 UTC
Hey, I watched Due South.
I loved Due South. They'd do location shooting in Chicago a few weeks
each season, never with the main cast. It always cracked me up that
they chose seemingly random buildings to stand in for places that
were mentioned in script. The city hall entrance was the entrance to
some random office building, as an example.
On TRAINING DAY, the establishling shot of LAPD headquarters is strangely
the Creative Artists Agency building in Century City, rather than the
actual police HQ downtown.
Ah. I wondered what that was. How do they not have tons of stock
footage?
BTR1701
2017-03-02 21:35:07 UTC
Hey, I watched Due South.
I loved Due South. They'd do location shooting in Chicago a few weeks
each season, never with the main cast. It always cracked me up that
they chose seemingly random buildings to stand in for places that
were mentioned in script. The city hall entrance was the entrance to
some random office building, as an example.
On TRAINING DAY, the establishling shot of LAPD headquarters is strangely
the Creative Artists Agency building in Century City, rather than the
actual police HQ downtown.
Ah. I wondered what that was. How do they not have tons of stock
footage?
It's not like they couldn't use the stock footage of the PAB building that
LETHAL WEAPON uses. That show gets it right.
Rhino
2017-03-02 19:41:49 UTC
Hey, I watched Due South.
I loved Due South. They'd do location shooting in Chicago a few weeks
each season, never with the main cast. It always cracked me up that
they chose seemingly random buildings to stand in for places that
were mentioned in script. The city hall entrance was the entrance to
some random office building, as an example.
I remember one episode that must have been filmed in Toronto because I
recognized the building as one that was across the street from our
office. It was either the US Consulate or the building one or two up the
street.

They filmed an episode of Top Cops on my street in Toronto one time.
They had to dirty it up a bit to pass for NYC. I watched for a while and
chatted with one of the extras for a bit; then I had to leave to catch a
flight for work. The extra envied me for going to Vancouver and I envied
him for working in a film :-) Then, someone approached me thinking I was
the assistant director; I was wearing a similar red jacket. I had seen
her before and pointed her out to the guy who stopped me.

---
2017-03-01 15:34:50 UTC
Post by Michael Black
[...]
This $3 coin is being issued started March 17.

---
Michael Black
2017-03-01 18:43:46 UTC
Post by Michael Black
[...]
There was a story the other day that said the Canadian Mint is losing
money, they had some fancy coin out (I think it wsa Star Trek related) and
they terminated the sale earlier than intended, it wasn't making the money
they'd planned for.

So I guess they want people to order before July 1st, when they likely are
spending endlessly at 150th birthday events. The National Parks are free
this year, but people need money to get to them, and need camping supplies
if they are staying overnight.

Michael
BTR1701
But is it a *female* polar bear?
Michael Black
2017-03-01 18:44:26 UTC
Post by Michael Black
[...]
It's a female and black polar bear.

Michael
Rhino
2017-03-01 20:33:45 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by BTR1701
Post by Michael Black
[...]
A black polar bear? Is that like an albino black rhino? ;-)

Does it have a handicap or belong to a minority religion?
If it was missing a limb and practiced Buddhism, we'd really have some
bragging rights for diversity!

---
Michael Black
2017-03-01 21:30:29 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by BTR1701
Post by Michael Black
[...]
When I first looked at the coin, after your posting, my first thought was
"is that a grizzly or a polar bear?". I'm not sure visually I'd know
without the giveaway of a colorless pelt (polar bears don't have white
fur, it's a lack of pigment, or so I read some years back).

Since grizzly bears fit into some people's culture, I wondered whether it
was a grizzly there.

SO my comment is a combination of that, and a joke in reply to the
albino bear, dark fur instead of white.
Post by Rhino
Does it have a handicap or belong to a minority religion?
If it was missing a limb and practiced Buddhism, we'd really have some
bragging rights for diversity!
A couple of years ago I saw a notice that the Okanagan Nation Alliance had
gotten some government grant to protect grizzly bears, and a side note
that they fit into the culture in some way. So I imagine polar bears
might fit into inuit culture, well they do but more than as a meal and
source of resources.

I have no idea where the beaver stood before the fur tradem but each time
I get a Hudsons' Bay gift card from the immediate cousins, I can't help
but wonder if they inherited stock in the company that dates back to when
my great, great, great grandfather worked for Hudson's Bay.

Michael
RichA
God, what tiresome, hick rubbish. A beaver, a polar bear. Cliche fest of Canada. Why not a Canadian who accomplished something worth-while? Banting, for instance?
trotsky
Agreed. Justin Trudeau would be even better.
Michael Black
2017-03-02 18:46:14 UTC
Post by Michael Black
[...]
Because specific people go to the paper money.

I meant to mention somewhere here that the Mounties did get a quarter one
time, I guess an important anniversary.

Michael
RichA
2017-02-28 23:39:17 UTC
All they do with this is cost vending machine and other coin-operated machine companies millions in re-tooling for NOTHING.
Michael Black
2017-03-01 04:37:29 UTC
All they do with this is cost vending machine and other coin-operated
machine companies millions in re-tooling for NOTHING.
Yes, because a week later, the vending machine prices will jump, and
there'll be no sense to a $3 coin.

But you're not paying attention, this $3 coin is silver, and costs
something like $20, so you wouldn't put it in a vending machine.

However, I remember the demand for a dollar coin decades back, the vending
machine and transit companies especially wanting it. But certainly with
Montreal subway and buses, it wasn't long before a dollar was less than
the ticket price, so it didn't matter much. Though now that the bus fare
is 3.50 here, having larger coins is useful, though when it hits $5, I
guess it will be itme for a $5 coin.

Michael
David Johnston
2017-03-01 05:52:04 UTC
All they do with this is cost vending machine and other coin-operated machine companies millions in re-tooling for NOTHING.
Actually it's probably coin collector bait and we won't see it in
regular circulation at all.
Ubiquitous
2017-03-01 01:33:43 UTC
[...]
I myself am suspicious of any paper currency with Elton John or ducks on it.
--
The liberal media's agenda is to make Trump as hated and distrusted
as they are.
brandon
2017-09-08 23:15:03 UTC
We #supply perfectly reproduced #counterfeit money with holograms and all security features #available.
Indistinguishable to the eye and to touch.
We offer both #national and international deliveries. All of our #deliveries are safe, #fast and discreet.
All customer delivery information is eliminated after delivery to ensure a fair deal because
Your security is all that matters
Delivery usually takes 2-5 days
-Free shipping
-Our bills/notes bypass everything, counterfeit #pens and machines.
-We have the #best HOLOGRAMS AND DUPLICATING MACHINES
-UV: YES
-All security features available
contact #today
#email ***@gmail.com
#website.....http://moneykings.org/
Rhino
2017-09-13 03:29:04 UTC
Post by brandon
We #supply perfectly reproduced #counterfeit money with holograms and all security features #available.
Indistinguishable to the eye and to touch.
We offer both #national and international deliveries. All of our #deliveries are safe, #fast and discreet.
All customer delivery information is eliminated after delivery to ensure a fair deal because
Your security is all that matters
Delivery usually takes 2-5 days
-Free shipping
-Our bills/notes bypass everything, counterfeit #pens and machines.
-We have the #best HOLOGRAMS AND DUPLICATING MACHINES
-UV: YES
-All security features available
contact #today
#website.....http://moneykings.org/
Of course if he's "exaggerating" the perfection of his counterfeits -
and what sales pitch doesn't exaggerate the quality of the product -
you're looking at many years in the slammer while he gets to spend the
*real* money you gave him for his fakes. Heck of a deal - for him!
brandon