What Did You Watch? 2017-07-23 (Sunday)
Obveeus
2017-07-24 12:22:24 UTC
I watched:

OZARK: Episodes #2, #3, and #4. The show starts adding a variety of
local characters including an old naked guy, naked strippers (including
a pregnant naked stripper) a trailer full of dangerous hillbillies,
other local criminals, and more...but best of all Jordana Spiro (MY
BOYS, THE MOB DOCTOR) joins the cast. This show definitely reminds me
of JUSTIFIED in the way that the characters are all interesting and
different. The show also clicked off the LGBTQ box.

FRIENDS FROM COLLEGE: Another episode of this Netflix comedy; this one
set at a wedding. This was probably the funniest episode yet, though
that isn't saying much.

TAKE ME: A 2017 Netflix film starring Pat Healy and Taylor Schilling
(ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK) as characters involved in a paid kidnapping
event. I suppose this is similar to those murder mystery dinner theater
events or the Escape The Mystery Room mall places where they lock you in
the room and you have to discover clues to free yourself. In this one,
though, the premise is that a person pays for a 'kidnapping
experience'...what could possibly go wrong? At times this was
interesting and at times it seemed to drag. Ultimately, it did not end
up where I expected, so I guess that was good...although my ending idea
was better than what they came up with.

What did you watch?
tenworld
2017-07-24 13:02:05 UTC
On Monday, July 24, 2017
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
I watched Nathalie Emmanuel.
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-07-24 14:38:37 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Big Brother - Still making my way through this.

Preacher - "Dallas" - A bit of a filler episode dealing with Jesse and
Tulip's back story.

Game of Thrones - "Stormborn"- Things were moving a bit slow until they
hit us with one of their patented "didn't see that coming" endings.

The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best feelings
about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not even the
enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's *not* funny!
And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to force myself to
like this movie but I just can't.

99 Homes (Netflix rental) Andrew Garfield stars as a down on his luck
man who is evicted from his home by a shady real estate developer
(Michael Shannon). Desperate to support his mother and son and get
their home back he winds up working for him and helping to put other
people out of their homes. This was a pretty good drama.

War for the Planet of the Apes (theatrical) - Third movie in the Apes
reboot, continuing the Saga of Caesar (Andy Serkis) and his band of
intelligent Apes. Picking up from the events of the last movie, with
most of humanity wiped out by a plague a group of surviving soldiers led
by Woody Harrelson set out to kill Ceasar and his Apes. Ceasar wants
peace but when that fails he takes the fight to the humans. It's pretty
good.
Ian J. Ball
2017-07-24 14:52:59 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Big Brother - Still making my way through this.
Why?!!
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best feelings
about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not even the
enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's *not* funny!
And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to force myself to
like this movie but I just can't.
That's about how I feel...
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
War for the Planet of the Apes (theatrical)
I still have seen none of the PotA reboots. Part of the problem is that
I can't get the first two, commercial free, without paying an arm and a
leg for them. [sigh...]
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
--
"His compassion killed him." - Dr. Sabine Lommers, in
BTR1701
I've never made it through the whole thing without falling asleep.
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-07-24 16:58:32 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Big Brother - Still making my way through this.
Why?!!
That's a question I ask myself. Habit I guess. It usually makes for
good background noise while I do other stuff.
If you like the originals they are a must watch.
anim8rfsk
2017-07-24 17:03:47 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
War for the Planet of the Apes (theatrical)
I still have seen none of the PotA reboots. Part of the problem is that
I can't get the first two, commercial free, without paying an arm and a
leg for them. [sigh...]
If you like the originals they are a must watch.
Ian likes The Originals but I'm not sure what that has to do with apes?
--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/
Obveeus
2017-07-24 18:19:33 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best feelings
about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not even the
enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's *not* funny!
And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to force myself to
like this movie but I just can't.
FIFTH ELEMENT is funny...and even socially relevant/poignant. Odd that
you found the lame humor and shallow pool social commentary of HIDDEN
FIGURES likeable, but not the much funnier and much more socially
relevant FIFTH ELEMENT.
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-07-24 18:50:47 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best feelings
about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not even the
enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's *not* funny!
And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to force myself to
like this movie but I just can't.
FIFTH ELEMENT is funny...and even socially relevant/poignant. Odd that
you found the lame humor and shallow pool social commentary of HIDDEN
FIGURES likeable, but not the much funnier and much more socially
relevant FIFTH ELEMENT.
I don't see what's so odd about forming an opinion about a movie that
seems to be shared with almost everyone else who sees it. Hidden
Figures received near universal praise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Hidden_Figures

While Fifth Element got mixed reviews and a couple of Raspberry
nominations. But to each his own. If you like it, more power to you.
There are plenty of movies I do like that I would agree can be
considered odd. But Hidden Figures isn't one of them.
Obveeus
2017-07-24 19:15:50 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Obveeus
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best
feelings about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not
even the enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's
*not* funny! And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to
force myself to like this movie but I just can't.
FIFTH ELEMENT is funny...and even socially relevant/poignant. Odd
that you found the lame humor and shallow pool social commentary of
HIDDEN FIGURES likeable, but not the much funnier and much more
socially relevant FIFTH ELEMENT.
I don't see what's so odd about forming an opinion about a movie that
seems to be shared with almost everyone else who sees it. Hidden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Hidden_Figures
Yes, I know, ..and every one of those people must love 1950s
humor/styling...or they just forgave the film for all the silly bathroom
humor because, after all, it was one of those after school special
'important' messages.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
While Fifth Element got mixed reviews and a couple of Raspberry
nominations.
Certain campy elements of FIFTH ELEMENT are hard to stomach...like Chris
Rock.

Post by Arthur Lipscomb
There are plenty of movies I do like that I would agree can be
considered odd.
Yes, I know. You rewatch a lot of really bad films that I regret having
watched even once.

/ But Hidden Figures isn't one of them.

Note that I wasn't speaking of the film overall, but was rather
specifically isolating the 'humor' and the 'social commentary' because
if there is one of the two films that isn't funny even though it was
constantly trying to be funny, it was HIDDEN FIGURES.
anim8rfsk
2017-07-24 19:50:02 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
While Fifth Element got mixed reviews and a couple of Raspberry
nominations.
Certain campy elements of FIFTH ELEMENT are hard to stomach...like Chris
Rock.
Everybody hates Chris.
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-07-25 03:18:26 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
While Fifth Element got mixed reviews and a couple of Raspberry
nominations.
Certain campy elements of FIFTH ELEMENT are hard to stomach...like Chris
Rock.
Chris Rock? Must...resist...urge...to...comment... ;-)
Post by anim8rfsk
Everybody hates Chris.
I'm sure the Chris Rock version of The Fifth Element is great. Is that
the one where he walked into the space station restaurant and ordered
just one rib? :-)
Obveeus
Sheesh...Chris Tucker. I hate when the brain wanders like that.
anim8rfsk
2017-07-24 19:10:35 UTC
THE STRAIN

I can't stand The Strain.

It's pretty much background noise at this point.
BTR1701
2017-07-24 23:33:00 UTC
And there was no Rhona this week!
anim8rfsk
2017-07-25 00:26:36 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by anim8rfsk
THE STRAIN
I can't stand The Strain.
It's pretty much background noise at this point.
And there was no Rhona this week!
Yep. And apparently no Dutch, although I can't tell the other tall
skinny blonde from her anyway ...
Jim G.
2017-07-26 00:33:21 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by BTR1701
Post by anim8rfsk
THE STRAIN
I can't stand The Strain.
It's pretty much background noise at this point.
And there was no Rhona this week!
Yep. And apparently no Dutch, although I can't tell the other tall
skinny blonde from her anyway ...
Huh? Dutch was there in the most recent outing. Front and center
throughout, actually.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
Jim G.
2017-07-26 00:32:17 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
THE STRAIN
I can't stand The Strain.
It's pretty much background noise at this point.
At this point, every episode that Zach lives through is a disappointing
episode.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 01:46:30 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
THE STRAIN
I can't stand The Strain.
It's pretty much background noise at this point.
At this point, every episode that Zach lives through is a disappointing
episode.
Much less his horrible mother. And tigers? Beautifully groomed tigers?
And I don't even know if his mother is really there or if the Master is
in disguise. Yeah, I know that was last week. It still deserves a 'WTF'
Jim G.
2017-07-26 05:53:56 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
THE STRAIN
I can't stand The Strain.
It's pretty much background noise at this point.
At this point, every episode that Zach lives through is a disappointing
episode.
Much less his horrible mother. And tigers? Beautifully groomed tigers?
Yeah, and I was rooting big-time for those well-groomed tigers, let me
tell you.
Post by anim8rfsk
And I don't even know if his mother is really there or if the Master is
in disguise. Yeah, I know that was last week. It still deserves a 'WTF'
It's Mom. With a lot of cosmetic help.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 06:02:58 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by anim8rfsk
And I don't even know if his mother is really there or if the Master is
in disguise. Yeah, I know that was last week. It still deserves a 'WTF'
It's Mom. With a lot of cosmetic help.
So did she whisk away and the new Master whisked into her place for no
reason whatsoever?
Jim G.
2017-07-26 06:09:10 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by anim8rfsk
And I don't even know if his mother is really there or if the Master is
in disguise. Yeah, I know that was last week. It still deserves a 'WTF'
It's Mom. With a lot of cosmetic help.
So did she whisk away and the new Master whisked into her place for no
reason whatsoever?
IIRC, the Master wanted her around because she had some sort of psychic
connection to hubby and son, and the Master definitely wanted hubby out
of the picture. In any case, she's not looking very good these days
without the makeup and fake bits.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 06:18:17 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by anim8rfsk
And I don't even know if his mother is really there or if the Master is
in disguise. Yeah, I know that was last week. It still deserves a 'WTF'
It's Mom. With a lot of cosmetic help.
So did she whisk away and the new Master whisked into her place for no
reason whatsoever?
IIRC, the Master wanted her around because she had some sort of psychic
connection to hubby and son, and the Master definitely wanted hubby out
of the picture. In any case, she's not looking very good these days
without the makeup and fake bits.
Right, but the scene with the tiger, she's embracing the kid, and then
they cut and it's really the Master embracing the kid, implying (Robin?)
that she was never there, but it was always the Master pretending to be
her.
Jim G.
2017-07-26 18:17:40 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Yeah, and I was rooting big-time for those well-groomed tigers, let me
tell you.
It's Mom. With a lot of cosmetic help.
So did she whisk away and the new Master whisked into her place for no
reason whatsoever?
IIRC, the Master wanted her around because she had some sort of psychic
connection to hubby and son, and the Master definitely wanted hubby out
of the picture. In any case, she's not looking very good these days
without the makeup and fake bits.
Right, but the scene with the tiger, she's embracing the kid, and then
they cut and it's really the Master embracing the kid, implying (Robin?)
that she was never there, but it was always the Master pretending to be
her.
Oh, that. I wasn't sure what to make of that sequence, either. They
*did* remind us that Dad did a number on Mom in a fight at the end of
last season that led Zach to push the nuke button, but we didn't
actually see Mom die. I think. And we also didn't see the usual transfer
bit take place that happens when the Master jumps from one body to
another. But we also didn't see Mom and the Master together in that zoo
scene in this season's premiere, either, so you may be on to something.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 20:28:46 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Occam says Mom wasn't there. I have this horrible idea that this is how
the did will come to turn against the Master and save the day. Thing
is, I don't *want* the kid to be redeemed, I want him to be tortured
horribly for all eternity.
Jim G.
2017-07-26 21:27:13 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Why? Just because he deliberately set off an explosion that killed a
large portion of NYC and then whined that he's lonely? He's just a crazy
kid. Cut him some slack. Or, you know, not. Tigers.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 22:00:20 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
He's definitely a mamma's boy.
Adam H. Kerman
2017-07-24 19:11:01 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The Fifth Element (4K blu-ray) - In spite of my mixed at best feelings
about this movie I went ahead and upgraded to 4K. But not even the
enhanced picture and Dolby Atmos sound could help. It's *not* funny!
And the overall story is mediocre. I keep trying to force myself to
like this movie but I just can't.
FIFTH ELEMENT is funny...and even socially relevant/poignant. Odd that
you found the lame humor and shallow pool social commentary of HIDDEN
FIGURES likeable, but not the much funnier and much more socially
relevant FIFTH ELEMENT.
How the fuck is The Fifth Element socially relevant? For one thing,
Luc Besson started writing it when he was 16 years old. The only
thing relevant to a 16 year old nerd is being able to be the hero
to get the hot action babe. I like Milla Jovovich, She's hot. She's
naked or runs around the beginning of the movie in nothing but Ace
bandages. In the bits of the movie in which she's allowed to create
a character, she does, sort of. What Besson screws up royally is that,
as in insta-growed woman-child, the coming of age story is entirely
missing. All that needs to happen is for a much, much, much older man
to tell her that he loves her. Then she can harness her magical powers.

That's about as socially relevant as a Harlequin romance.

The humor, gah. I agree with Arthur. Maybe I like it more than he does,
but a Besson just lays it on thick, especially in the sequence in Dallas's
apartment in which he hides people in the freezer.

I really can't blame Bruce Willis for hamming it up. I'm sure he does
what the director wanted him to do. Chris Tucker can be funny, but a little
bit of his act goes a long way. Ian Holm is a fantastic actor but saddled
with a character whose motivations changed from one scene to the next;
nothing about his character worked.

I liked Gary Oldman a lot. Forced to act with an enormous piece of plastic
on his head, he somehow created a character.

I'm sure obveeus wasn't being his usual nasty self, taking a cheap shot,
and has actually put a lot of thought into this and will be able to
explain his point.
anim8rfsk
2017-07-24 19:48:27 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Obveeus
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I like that they save space by having everything retract into the walls.
Where does it possibly *go*?
Ian J. Ball
2017-07-24 14:49:25 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
I took things slow on Sunday...:

Zoo (recorded) - "Welcome to the Terra Dome". This episode was pretty
dang dumb, all around. Not really going to bother to synopsizing much -
pretty much everybody hates Jamie, except Mitch (and Clementine?);
EVOL!!1! Athena Karkanis conspires to have the hybrids attack New York
City (Raiden Global HQ, specifically); and that bitch Dariela conspires
to get Clementine kidnapped. In the end, the EVOL!!1! head of Raiden
Global (Sophina Brown) turns up assissinated, and Jamie claims she did
it because the EVOL!!1! chyck was one of the EVOL!!1! "Shepherds".

Mistresses(!!) (recorded last summer!) - "Fight or Flight". After
yesterday's post (in response to Adam?) in which I mentioned still
having a few of these left on my DVR, I decided to actually watch one,
in attempt to clear the rest of the series off my DVR. It turns out I
only had 3 episodes of this left to watch (and, after this one, just
2!).
Not really going to synopsize much - Karen's crazy nanny (Alanna
Masterson) gets busted; Joss goes nuts and nearly kills the abusive
husband of her dead friend; Harry plays too fast and loose with his
career and get burned; April's relationship with Marc is officially
over. No Tabrett Bethell at all this episode - I wonder if she'll even
pop up in the rest of season #4...

Longmire (The Netflix) - "The Calling Back". A depressing episode in
which Walt (and Cady) try to investigate the rape of a native girl (on
the edge of the Res., so Mathias has to be brought in too - and it
turns out Mathias is about to lose his job...) by some of the oil rig
workers (incl. Nick E. Tarabay of "The Expanse" and "Spartacus"). The
victim's mother was truly hateful - if I was Walt I would have just
shot her on the spot!!
Meanwhile, the new deputy (Barry Sloane) shows signs of being a
problem, but Walt doesn't really listen when Ferg tries to warn Walt
about it. I'm guessing the new deputy isn't going to be lasting long...

Dark Matter (recorded) - "Hot Chocolate" (heh). While Six is hosting
the conference of colonists trying to figure out what to do (e.g.
whether to pursue independence), the ship is taken over by Ryo/Four and
his (cloned) goons after Ryo has the Android taken over remotely. It's
not long before it's up to Five (and Natalie Brown) to save the day! In
the end, the crew fights off this attempt by Ryo, and then attempts to
test the "Jump Drive"... with apparently disastrous results, once
again!!

Story of a Girl (Lifetime) - This was massively disappointing. This was
one of those aimless "slice of life" Lifetime flicks that tries to be
profound, but never really goes anywhere nor has much worthwhile to
say. I was basically bored throughout, and the film doesn't even really
have an "ending", which sucked. Oh, and it's told with a partially
non-linear timeline which just served to muddle the narrative even
more. >:/
Give me back my "Stupid Young Woman Gets Stalked by a Psycho!"-type
flicks, please!!

Mako Mermaids (The Netflix) - Really episodes #2.14-2.17 (regardless of
what The Netflix calls them!).
The first of these isn't even worth commenting on. The second,
"Careful What You Wish For", plays out exactly like you'd expect when
an "experiment" by Mimmi and Sirena accidentally gives Cam "merman
powers" (temporarily). The third, "First Date", was actually amusing,
when Ondina accidentally turns Erik into an exact duplicate of Rita's
cat, Poseidon, and then creates two other duplicate Posiedons on top of
that! forcing the girls to go chasing down escaping kitties!! In the
last, "The Merman Code", Erik's and Cam's mucking about on Mako gets
Erik transported to merman "limbo", so Cam has to call Zac and all the
others (including a frantic Ondina) in to figure out how to "activate"
the merman chamber in order to get Erik back.

Recorded for later: A big fat *nuthin'* - Sundays during Summer have
gotten bad again... :(
--
"His compassion killed him." - Dr. Sabine Lommers, in
Ian J. Ball
2017-07-24 16:23:42 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Longmire (The Netflix) - "The Calling Back". A depressing episode in
which Walt (and Cady) try to investigate the rape of a native girl (on
the edge of the Res., so Mathias has to be brought in too - and it
turns out Mathias is about to lose his job...) by some of the oil rig
workers (incl. Nick E. Tarabay of "The Expanse" and "Spartacus"). The
victim's mother was truly hateful - if I was Walt I would have just
shot her on the spot!!
Meanwhile, the new deputy (Barry Sloane) shows signs of being a
problem, but Walt doesn't really listen when Ferg tries to warn Walt
about it. I'm guessing the new deputy isn't going to be lasting long...
I forgot to mention a subplot in this episode I liked quite a bit:

It seems Vic is falling apart (you see, her husband is divorcing her
(offscreen)...), which Walt discovers when he visits Vic's place... in
order to serve her with an eviction notice!! So now Vic has no place to
live!

Cady: Well, can't she live with you?
Walt: (flatly) No.

Heh... In the end, Vic goes to live with Cady!

There's the premise of a madcap sitcom in here somewhere, I'm quite sure... ;)
--
"His compassion killed him." - Dr. Sabine Lommers, in
Jim G.
2017-07-26 00:34:13 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Zoo (recorded) - "Welcome to the Terra Dome". This episode was pretty
dang dumb, all around. Not really going to bother to synopsizing much -
pretty much everybody hates Jamie, except Mitch (and Clementine?);
EVOL!!1! Athena Karkanis conspires to have the hybrids attack New York
City (Raiden Global HQ, specifically); and that bitch Dariela conspires
to get Clementine kidnapped. In the end, the EVOL!!1! head of Raiden
Global (Sophina Brown) turns up assissinated, and Jamie claims she did
it because the EVOL!!1! chyck was one of the EVOL!!1! "Shepherds".
I'm still trying to figure out who thought that making hybrids was a
good idea in the first place, and why. But I'm glad that Mitch is back
and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 01:44:36 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Zoo (recorded) - "Welcome to the Terra Dome". This episode was pretty
dang dumb, all around. Not really going to bother to synopsizing much -
pretty much everybody hates Jamie, except Mitch (and Clementine?);
EVOL!!1! Athena Karkanis conspires to have the hybrids attack New York
City (Raiden Global HQ, specifically); and that bitch Dariela conspires
to get Clementine kidnapped. In the end, the EVOL!!1! head of Raiden
Global (Sophina Brown) turns up assissinated, and Jamie claims she did
it because the EVOL!!1! chyck was one of the EVOL!!1! "Shepherds".
I'm still trying to figure out who thought that making hybrids was a
good idea in the first place, and why.
The Peach swears by her Prius. Me, I like that Penn & Teller BULLSH*T
expose on green cars where they have a guy so gay he's dancing around
throwing flowers like on the intermediate titles on Rocky and Bullwinkle
yammering about how beautiful it is, and Penn says "Are you kidding me?
It looks like an armadillo fucked a dustbuster"

Post by Jim G.
and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.
That's something of a stretch.
Jim G.
2017-07-26 05:53:43 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Zoo (recorded) - "Welcome to the Terra Dome". This episode was pretty
dang dumb, all around. Not really going to bother to synopsizing much -
pretty much everybody hates Jamie, except Mitch (and Clementine?);
EVOL!!1! Athena Karkanis conspires to have the hybrids attack New York
City (Raiden Global HQ, specifically); and that bitch Dariela conspires
to get Clementine kidnapped. In the end, the EVOL!!1! head of Raiden
Global (Sophina Brown) turns up assissinated, and Jamie claims she did
it because the EVOL!!1! chyck was one of the EVOL!!1! "Shepherds".
I'm still trying to figure out who thought that making hybrids was a
good idea in the first place, and why.
The Peach swears by her Prius.
Grrrrrrr. Don't make me come down there. :)

In case you're being serious -- given your CBS boycott -- I'll point out
that I'm referring to *animal* hybrids here.
Post by Jim G.
and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.
That's something of a stretch.
He's fantastic.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 06:04:57 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.
That's something of a stretch.
He's fantastic.
Any port in a Storm.

(yeah, yeah, so Sue me)
Jim G.
2017-07-26 06:07:12 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.
That's something of a stretch.
He's fantastic.
Any port in a Storm.
(yeah, yeah, so Sue me)
See, here's the Thing...
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 06:18:37 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.
That's something of a stretch.
He's fantastic.
Any port in a Storm.
(yeah, yeah, so Sue me)
See, here's the Thing...
Such a Johnny come lately
Jim G.
2017-07-26 18:18:21 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.
That's something of a stretch.
He's fantastic.
Any port in a Storm.
(yeah, yeah, so Sue me)
See, here's the Thing...
Such a Johnny come lately
Marvel really needs to relaunch that book and stop being such tools.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 20:22:09 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
and has pretty much returned to full Reed Richards mode already.
That's something of a stretch.
He's fantastic.
Any port in a Storm.
(yeah, yeah, so Sue me)
See, here's the Thing...
Such a Johnny come lately
Marvel really needs to relaunch that book and stop being such tools.
Richards is back in the Dr. Doom Iron Man books, as is Benjy, and Johnny
showed up in the new Spectacular Spider-Man title. No mention of Sue
yet.
Jim G.
2017-07-26 21:26:33 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
See, here's the Thing...
Such a Johnny come lately
Marvel really needs to relaunch that book and stop being such tools.
Richards is back in the Dr. Doom Iron Man books,
...which I won't read.
Post by anim8rfsk
as is Benjy, and Johnny
showed up in the new Spectacular Spider-Man title.
...which I continue to vacillate over. That's Fraction's work, right? I
like him, but I would hate to feel like I'm cheating on Slott.
Post by anim8rfsk
No mention of Sue
yet.
She's there. We're just not seeing her.

But I want them all *together*. Doing FF stuff.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 22:08:07 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
as is Benjy, and Johnny
showed up in the new Spectacular Spider-Man title.
...which I continue to vacillate over. That's Fraction's work, right? I
like him, but I would hate to feel like I'm cheating on Slott.
The New SPECTACULAR is written by Chip Zdarsky and arted by Adam Kubert.
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
No mention of Sue
yet.
She's there. We're just not seeing her.
But I want them all *together*. Doing FF stuff.
In/from the Baxter Building.
Jim G.
2017-07-26 22:32:20 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
as is Benjy, and Johnny
showed up in the new Spectacular Spider-Man title.
...which I continue to vacillate over. That's Fraction's work, right? I
like him, but I would hate to feel like I'm cheating on Slott.
The New SPECTACULAR is written by Chip Zdarsky and arted by Adam Kubert.
Ah. Fraction's partner in crime. I remembered *some* sort of Fraction
connection there. CZ is pretty funny, but you still just made me that
much less inclined to check it out.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
No mention of Sue
yet.
She's there. We're just not seeing her.
But I want them all *together*. Doing FF stuff.
In/from the Baxter Building.
Yep.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-26 23:03:36 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
as is Benjy, and Johnny
showed up in the new Spectacular Spider-Man title.
...which I continue to vacillate over. That's Fraction's work, right? I
like him, but I would hate to feel like I'm cheating on Slott.
The New SPECTACULAR is written by Chip Zdarsky and arted by Adam Kubert.
Ah. Fraction's partner in crime. I remembered *some* sort of Fraction
connection there. CZ is pretty funny, but you still just made me that
much less inclined to check it out.
It's a more back to basics book. Their explanation is that, with the
new movie and such, they wanted a number one that people could jump on
board with and not have to know the history of the Marvel universe to
understand, which is sort of silly given that they've done, what, 5
complete reboots in the last few years? How could *anybody* know the
history at this point? As far as I know, all the current reboots are
still nested inside of Mephisto's spell. And tainted by the filth that
is JMS.
Jim G.
2017-07-27 17:46:35 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
as is Benjy, and Johnny
showed up in the new Spectacular Spider-Man title.
...which I continue to vacillate over. That's Fraction's work, right? I
like him, but I would hate to feel like I'm cheating on Slott.
The New SPECTACULAR is written by Chip Zdarsky and arted by Adam Kubert.
Ah. Fraction's partner in crime. I remembered *some* sort of Fraction
connection there. CZ is pretty funny, but you still just made me that
much less inclined to check it out.
It's a more back to basics book. Their explanation is that, with the
new movie and such, they wanted a number one that people could jump on
board with and not have to know the history of the Marvel universe to
understand, which is sort of silly given that they've done, what, 5
complete reboots in the last few years?
My understanding is that a lot of folks aren't particularly happy with a
global and relatively successful Parker Industries, even if the credit
goes to Doc Ock. I guess they see the book as being too Stark-ish at
this point, and there's a fair argument to be made on that front. A
truly successful Parker *is* something of an anomaly, after all.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-27 18:32:13 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
SPECTACULAR is an odd duck book. There hasn't been a sign of Parker
Industries, and Peter lives in a seemingly modest place and takes the
subway to follow a lead. But Aunt May just lost her husband, JJJ's
father, and Ironheart's in it, so I'm not sure if it's the same reality
or not. But it's much more like the Peter of old.
Jim G.
2017-07-27 18:51:31 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Any indications -- tech, whatever -- that it's maybe set in the past?
Same reality, but a few years ago or more?
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-27 19:32:02 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
No. JJJ's dad was part of the unstable clone saga, right? Aunt May got
widowed again recently. And Ironheart is brand new. Johnny "used to
be" in the Fantastic Four. Doctor Doom is Iron Man. Tony Stark is an
A.I. But there's no sign of Parker Industries, and the Spidey Suit
seems to be the classic variety.
Jim G.
2017-07-27 20:28:52 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Yeah, that's just crazy.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-27 21:16:15 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
It *is* more approachable, but without the Stark & StarkSuit of the
movie, I'm not sure it would even make sense to the new readers they're
going for.

Of course, the Iron Man/Spider-Man books and the Spider-Man Iron Man
books of last year didn't seem to share continuity of storyline either.
Jim G.
2017-07-27 23:48:51 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
I'll be interested to see how much of a reset is caused by SECRET EMPIRE
before it's all said and done...
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-28 00:05:05 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
I haven't looked at that. Should I?
Obveeus
2017-07-28 00:10:30 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
With all the resets and continuity problems in the comic books, it
really makes me wonder why people complain about the films/TV series
messing with the 'canon'.
Dimensional Traveler
2017-07-28 02:33:40 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Isn't picking and choosing from the multiple canons non-canon?

(There has to be a way to fit the word "cannonade" into this....)
instinct are running screaming.
Jim G.
2017-07-28 02:45:07 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
It *is* more approachable, but without the Stark & StarkSuit of the
movie, I'm not sure it would even make sense to the new readers they're
going for.
Of course, the Iron Man/Spider-Man books and the Spider-Man Iron Man
books of last year didn't seem to share continuity of storyline either.
I'll be interested to see how much of a reset is caused by SECRET EMPIRE
before it's all said and done...
I haven't looked at that. Should I?
With all the resets and continuity problems in the comic books, it
really makes me wonder why people complain about the films/TV series
messing with the 'canon'.
The subset of comic book movie fans who are also comic book fans is
quite small. Or to put it another way, there are few hypocrites here
because only a small percentage of comic book movie fans follow comic
books or give a rat's backside about what happens in comic books.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
Jim G.
2017-07-28 02:52:50 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
That reminded me of an article I read the other day, which, fortunately,
was easy to find in my history:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-has-an-epic-plan-to-save-itself-from-the-comics-apoc-1797174893
or http://preview.tinyurl.com/ybzwzstn

It's DC-centric, but the same challenges are affecting Marvel.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-08-14 14:22:09 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Thanks.

So this said there was a clew as to where they were going in the current
BATMAN comic, while not mentioning which of the 57 Batman varieties they
were talking about.

So I read the current issue. Um ... there's a war going on between
Joker and Riddler and it's leaving piles of civilian bodies that they
cease fire long enough for the cops to remove and it's been going on for
WEEKS. Seriously? Does Gotham now exist in that much of a vacuum that
there's not *any* power player who'll come in and fix this? There has
to be somebody willing to take out the Joker from orbit. And if not,
why hasn't his death toll risen into the millions?
Jim G.
2017-08-15 02:09:46 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
[...]
Meanwhile, Batman won't kill either of them because that would be bad.
Or something.
Post by anim8rfsk
Does Gotham now exist in that much of a vacuum that
there's not *any* power player who'll come in and fix this? There has
to be somebody willing to take out the Joker from orbit.
They all just assume that those two are off-limits. Batman's personal
pets. Sorta like the Robins, but different. :)
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
Dimensional Traveler
2017-08-15 02:24:34 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Does Gotham now exist in that much of a vacuum that
there's not *any* power player who'll come in and fix this? There has
to be somebody willing to take out the Joker from orbit.
They all just assume that those two are off-limits. Batman's personal
pets. Sorta like the Robins, but different. :)
LOL
Its like there's no Federal Government in the comics nor any
communication between cities. Every city is its own city-state country.
instinct are running screaming.
anim8rfsk
2017-08-15 04:00:05 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Does Gotham now exist in that much of a vacuum that
there's not *any* power player who'll come in and fix this? There has
to be somebody willing to take out the Joker from orbit.
They all just assume that those two are off-limits. Batman's personal
pets. Sorta like the Robins, but different. :)
LOL
Its like there's no Federal Government in the comics nor any
communication between cities. Every city is its own city-state country.
And like The Batman has no way to contact the Justice League.
Ubiquitous
2017-08-15 12:00:11 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
ObTV:
That sounds like the most recent season of Gotham.
A Friend
2017-08-15 12:56:01 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Comic Book Paradox: The situation in Gotham (currently in the comics)
could be cleared up in minutes by Superman, Green Lantern and/or a few
others. Instead, it's as if the other heroes don't exist. It has to
be that way. Otherwise, there'd be no stories at all.

Jim G.
2017-07-28 00:11:44 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
It's basically the whole Steve Rogers "Hail Hydra!" thing on a
Marvel-wide level, supposedly with plenty of repercussions for the whole
line once the dust settles. I guess it depends on how you feel about
those sorts of things. I'm reading it because I'll always check out
something that's designed to, um, redirect a franchise, whether it's DC
or Marvel, and this is no exception. I'm skipping the peripheral stuff
and the one-offs tied to it, though. I figure the main book will give me
the main story that I'm interested in.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-28 00:41:48 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Jesus, the last reset is only a few issues old!

Good God, there's Secret Empire, Secret Empire Brave New World, Secret
Empire Uprising, and various free previews and spotlights ...
Jim G.
2017-07-28 01:55:42 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Well, it all started with that now-infamous CAPTAIN AMERICA: STEVE
ROGERS #1. The ripples just keep working outward.
Post by anim8rfsk
Good God, there's Secret Empire, Secret Empire Brave New World, Secret
Empire Uprising, and various free previews and spotlights ...
Heh. Yeah, a lot of that peripheral stuff is only gonna appeal to the
hardcore completists. And maybe fans of C-list Avengers or D-list X-Men
and the like.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-28 03:47:34 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Good God, there's Secret Empire, Secret Empire Brave New World, Secret
Empire Uprising, and various free previews and spotlights ...
Heh. Yeah, a lot of that peripheral stuff is only gonna appeal to the
hardcore completists. And maybe fans of C-list Avengers or D-list X-Men
and the like.
I grabbed the previews on the assumption that there will be a checklist
somewhere.

I'd be looking forward to this more if I knew that bitch Captain Marvel
was going to die instead of getting her own movie.
Jim G.
2017-07-28 04:16:27 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
http://www.howtolovecomics.com/2017/04/18/secret-empire-reading-order-checklist/
or http://preview.tinyurl.com/y93tfy24
Post by anim8rfsk
I'd be looking forward to this more if I knew that bitch Captain Marvel
was going to die instead of getting her own movie.
Heh. For me, it's Maria Hill these days. In any case, I'm treating
SECRET EMPIRE much the same as I treated AVENGERS V X-MEN, where I read
the main 12-issue series but skipped all of the peripheral stuff. Again,
I like to keep track of the major "game-changing" events involving the
major names, but I don't want to drown in C- and D-list characters --
especially since the superhero books aren't my main interest in comic
books anymore. But stuff like this or the FLASH/BATMAN "The Button"
crossover that's an early step in the whole WATCHMEN relaunch over at
DC? Yeah, they're gonna be on my reading list.

SECRET EMPIRE itself is a 10-issue deal (plus a #0, which may or may not
be part of the 10; I'm still not clear on that), all of which I'm
reading. (#7 came out yesterday.) I also have SECRET EMPIRE PRELUDE,
which, per the metadata, "collects Captain America (2012) #21 & #25;
material from Captain America: Sam Wilson #7 & #8; Avengers Standoff:
Assault on Pleasant Hill Alpha, Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant
Hill Omega; Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 & #2." Put together, it
sets the table really well for SECRET EMPIRE.

SECRET EMPIRE is being written by Nick Spencer, a fave of mine who's
also doing CAPTAIN AMERICA: STEVE ROGERS. Before this Marvel work, he'd
done a terrific Image title called MORNING GLORIES, which I've also read.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-28 15:43:27 UTC
Post by Jim G.
SECRET EMPIRE itself is a 10-issue deal (plus a #0, which may or may not
be part of the 10; I'm still not clear on that),
The 'Reading Guide' in SECRET EMPIRE FREE PREVIEWS SPOTLIGHT 001 lists
SECRET EMPIRE 1-9 as the 'Main Title' and SECRET EMPIRE 0 under 'Key
Titles' along with Free Comic Book Day 2017: Secret Empire, Uprising #1,
Underground #1, and United #1. There is of course no recommended
reading order, nor any list of regular books to read. Then it goes on
to preview
Secret Warriors #1 'Avenging Inhumans' which features unidentified yutes
and a big red dinosaur
Secret Empire Uprising #1 which looks to feature cast off and or Junior
Avengers like the other Spider-Man, the other Hulk, Iron Girl, and
others I don't recognize.
(don't forget to get your Secret Empire Party Items, like the Lenticular
backing board, pins, a variant cover of #1, and of course themed storage
boxes - boy, do these guys know how to party or what?)
U.S. Avengers #6, Steve Rogers vs A.I.M.
Sam Wilson Captain America #22
Steve Rogers Captain America #17
Deadpool #31 with the TVVerse Son of Coul on the cover
Doctor Strange #21
Mighty Captain Marvel #5 with that bitch Carol
Ultimates2 #7 with Galactus
Don't forget your Hydra Hero and Villain variant covers - you'll need
those for the party!
anim8rfsk
2017-07-29 16:58:01 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I've powered through the first half dozen core books. The list of
ancillary titles ... up 'till now I haven't seen one I read, and clearly
the Spider and Iron books aren't in Secret Empire continuity. But they
just listed Amazing 29, which somehow I missed, so I'm going to go read
that one now and see if I can tell if it's an Empire title or not. I
mean, how could you miss New York having been shunted to the Darkhold?
anim8rfsk
2017-07-29 18:33:02 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Okay, Amazing 29 pops into Empire, with different logos on the cover and
everything. Bleah. And even before it does is clearly in a different
continuity than Spectacular. I wonder if Spectacular was meant to come
after Empire is over ...
Jim G.
2017-07-29 19:15:32 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Slott's AMAZING Spidey book is most definitely in the same universe as
SECRET EMPIRE, and is even directly tied to it at the moment. And Cap
is, too, obviously. At least in the Spencer book. I don't know much
beyond that since the only other Marvel stuff I read these days is Star
Wars-related.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-29 19:23:34 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I only read Iron and Spidey (when he's Parker). Even though Spidey was
in the Iron books and Iron was in the Spidey books, they clearly weren't
in the same continuity. And now Iron Girl is in Iron, Empire, and
Spectacular, and she's got three continuities going for her.
Jim G.
2017-07-29 23:28:09 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Yeah, this is the latest effort to get everything back into one
continuity, apparently. Like that's gonna last for long (even if they're
successful).
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-30 04:09:35 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
So was this sentient Cosmic Cube retarded or something? Because this
new reality is really really screwy.
Jim G.
2017-07-31 20:08:29 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Slott's AMAZING Spidey book is most definitely in the same universe as
SECRET EMPIRE, and is even directly tied to it at the moment. And Cap
is, too, obviously. At least in the Spencer book. I don't know much
beyond that since the only other Marvel stuff I read these days is Star
Wars-related.
I only read Iron and Spidey (when he's Parker). Even though Spidey was
in the Iron books and Iron was in the Spidey books, they clearly weren't
in the same continuity. And now Iron Girl is in Iron, Empire, and
Spectacular, and she's got three continuities going for her.
Yeah, this is the latest effort to get everything back into one
continuity, apparently. Like that's gonna last for long (even if they're
successful).
So was this sentient Cosmic Cube retarded or something? Because this
new reality is really really screwy.
"Standoff!" covers a lot of it. Short version: it's all about a
reality-*warping* tech that Maria Hill -- and this is why she's far from
my fave these days -- put to use in a prison setting (Pleasant Hill,
where suburbia replaced jail cells and modified memories filled the
"inmates"), which, of course, only led to the tech being further abused.
Specifically, a Red Skull clone eventually convinces Kobik, in its
childlike Cosmic Cube innocence, that saving and de-aging Rogers would
be great, and that making him a Hydra mole in the process (reality warp,
remember) would be super-duper awesome. And that's when stuff really
started to hit the fan. So, really, we don't know what's reality and
what's a warp of one kind or another at this point. And the writers
probably didn't when this all started, either. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers:_Standoff!
or http://preview.tinyurl.com/yctblneh (since that exclamation point may
cause problems again)
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-31 22:13:25 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Oh, thanks. I never saw any of the set up stuff, nor are any of the
recommended prequel collections available to me, so I wondered why they
were bitching about Pleasant Hill.

BTW, I tried a couple issues of Doctor Strange with the Kingpin, and you
can safely skip those as well. When the Hell did the Kingpin become 12
feet tall, anyway?
Jim G.
2017-07-31 23:25:17 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
It actually wasn't bad for the inmates. They truly saw themselves as
different people living in a small, idyllic town. Until it all went
pear-shaped, anyway. The main takeaway is that the Cube (Kobik) actually
wasn't being evil here while Hill was being both stupid and naughty.
Post by anim8rfsk
BTW, I tried a couple issues of Doctor Strange with the Kingpin, and you
can safely skip those as well. When the Hell did the Kingpin become 12
feet tall, anyway?
His size seems to fluctuate. He and Hulk might be on the same diet these
days. And as for the books, I read the main story of an event like this
along with the books that I read all along. So in this case, it's
EMPIRE, AMAZING and CAP/ROGERS. I don't read STRANGE on a regular basis,
so I'm not going to read it when it's tied into an event like this, either.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-30 06:40:13 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
FREE COMIC BOOK DAY SECRET EMPIRE includes a prequel to SPECTACULAR
SPIDER-MAN that includes MJ, who says she's running Stark Industries.
Rather bizarrely, the prequel has nothing to do and no sign of Secret
Empire.
anim8rfsk
2017-07-30 07:20:11 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
SECRET EMPIRE BRAVE NEW WORLD sucks swamp ass. Three stories, told with
inappropriate goofy art, sort of level C Archie stuff. One story is a
new Giant-Man I don't know, another is Gwenpool. The lead is The
Invaders, except I don't understand the continuity at all - the cover
has Namor, the original Human Torch, Toro, Spider-Man (Miles I think),
T'Challa, and that bitch Carol Danvers. Of those, only Namor and the
two Torches appear anywhere in the book at all.

SECRET EMPIRE UNITED features Steve Rogers, The Beast, Sunfire, Magik,
and Xorn. Rogers deals with the mutant reservation in San Francisco.
Adequate art, totally unengaging and unnecessary storyline. It has the
advantage of being the first of these books that labels the characters
when they first appear.

SECRET EMPIRE UNDERGROUND. Mockingbird, Sam Wilson, Ant-Man, Iron Man
(Stark A.I.), Quicksilver, Hercules, that asshole Quicksilver. So so
art as the team from the core book goes on the Savage Land mission
mentioned in the above core book. Not really worth reading except, you
know, Savage Land.

Fred-Bob is gonna say you can skip all three.
Jim G.
2017-07-31 20:08:51 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I was way ahead of you there. :)
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-31 22:14:38 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Yep. But I hoped ...
Jim G.
2017-07-31 23:26:58 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I write those off as shameless money grabs by the publishers. I figure
that if I find out that I missed something significant, I can turn to
Wikipedia or someplace like that.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
Jim G.
2017-07-31 20:08:40 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
FREE COMIC BOOK DAY SECRET EMPIRE includes a prequel to SPECTACULAR
SPIDER-MAN that includes MJ, who says she's running Stark Industries.
Rather bizarrely, the prequel has nothing to do and no sign of Secret
Empire.
MJ is doing that in the AMAZING book, too, so at least that's consistent.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-07-31 22:14:19 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
FREE COMIC BOOK DAY SECRET EMPIRE includes a prequel to SPECTACULAR
SPIDER-MAN that includes MJ, who says she's running Stark Industries.
Rather bizarrely, the prequel has nothing to do and no sign of Secret
Empire.
MJ is doing that in the AMAZING book, too, so at least that's consistent.
She's doing in in the IRON books too. It seems to be the only
consistency there is.
Jim G.
2017-07-31 23:25:45 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
FREE COMIC BOOK DAY SECRET EMPIRE includes a prequel to SPECTACULAR
SPIDER-MAN that includes MJ, who says she's running Stark Industries.
Rather bizarrely, the prequel has nothing to do and no sign of Secret
Empire.
MJ is doing that in the AMAZING book, too, so at least that's consistent.
She's doing in in the IRON books too. It seems to be the only
consistency there is.
Probably because it was a point of friction between Pete and Tony a
while back when Tony showed up in AMAZING for an issue or two.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-08-13 21:12:46 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Well, issue 8 bored me to tears. Apparently The Falcon is the only one
left who can fly, including Iron Man, who's standing right there, and
with his wings on they're yelling YAY HE'S CAPTAIN AMERICA AGAIN but you
know, he's really not, he's the damned Falcon again, note the wings.

Also I don't get why they're all so all fired anxious to get the
planetary shield down, what with a zillion angry aliens waiting to
attack if they do.

Events of this and the current Amazing Spider-Man might explain the
continuity in the new Spidey book, if it comes after Secret Empire.
Jim G.
2017-08-14 06:17:38 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
As is usually the case, I'll probably end up bingeing on most of the
series once it's all done. You've definitely passed me at this point, so
you'll have to let me know if I have anything to look forward to.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-08-14 13:20:12 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
What you *don't* have to look forward to is a clean ending. Now that
the silly concept has arisen that with only some of the pieces of the
Cube you can rewrite some of reality but only if you're close to it (and
I'm sorry, but the damned shield goes around the entire Earth - why get
close to a part people are *shooting* at?) this will end with yet
*another* hodge podge mish mash continuity.
Jim G.
2017-08-14 20:04:17 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Has there *ever* been such a thing in a superhero comic book story?
Post by anim8rfsk
Now that
the silly concept has arisen that with only some of the pieces of the
Cube you can rewrite some of reality but only if you're close to it (and
I'm sorry, but the damned shield goes around the entire Earth - why get
close to a part people are *shooting* at?) this will end with yet
*another* hodge podge mish mash continuity.
And even if it didn't, the mishmash would work its way back in within a
year or two, anyway. It's almost impossible to handle the continuity
when you're dealing with casts of characters as vast as what we have in
the Marvel and DC worlds.
“It smells like bad beer and worse choices. I'll make it work.” – Rosita
Bustillos, WYNONNA EARP
anim8rfsk
2017-08-14 20:18:02 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
"Now, By My Hand, Shall Perish A Villain" - The Avengers #15
The final, total, irrevocable, irreversible death of Baron Zemo, never
to be revivified or seen again:
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_medium/11/117763/2464679-aveng
ers015.jpg
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Now that
the silly concept has arisen that with only some of the pieces of the
Cube you can rewrite some of reality but only if you're close to it (and
I'm sorry, but the damned shield goes around the entire Earth - why get
close to a part people are *shooting* at?) this will end with yet
*another* hodge podge mish mash continuity.
And even if it didn't, the mishmash would work its way back in within a
year or two, anyway. It's almost impossible to handle the continuity
when you're dealing with casts of characters as vast as what we have in
the Marvel and DC worlds.
I assume the ONE MORE DAY "Satan's reality" reality (and by 'Satan' I
mean JMS) can be reset at any time, taking all the reboots since down
like Russian nesting dominos.