Crime In Canada Drops To Lowest Level Since 1969 - Probably Because They All Carry Guns
More Guns Is Less Crime
2015-11-26 13:12:36 UTC
And unlike the USA, they've got a Conservative government in charge. Thank
God for the NRA.

Violent crime in Canada fell for the eighth straight year ? despite a slight
increase in homicides ? with Saskatoon becoming the country's most crime-
ridden city, Statistics Canada reported Wednesday.

The downward trend came as the agency reported serious crime in general fell
to its lowest relative level since 1969 ? marking 11 straight years of
declines.

What accounts for the downward trend is not easily explained, said
criminologist Anthony Doob.

"People have been looking at this for a long time but haven't come up with
completely adequate answers," said Doob, a professor at the University of
Toronto.

"It may have to do with some changes in the demographic makeup of Canada but
that's small ? that certainly doesn't account for it."

According to StatsCan, police reported about 369,500 violent incidents in 2014
? 15,000 fewer than in 2013 ? representing a five per cent decrease. While
homicides edged up to 516 from 512 a year earlier, the rate remained unchanged
relative to Canada's population size.

Violent crime accounted for about one in five police-reported Criminal Code
offences last year.

Among provinces and territories, only Yukon, Prince Edward Island and Alberta
saw increases in violent crime ? mostly because of more murders.

Doob said violent crime appears to have been decreasing across western
countries for ages ? with a still unexplained upward blip in the 1960s and
1970s. What's clear, he said, is that politics and government anti-crime
legislation have little to do with it.
Barrie, Ont., records lowest crime rate

"The prime minister last fall took credit for the decrease and I never
understood if he was taking credit for the decrease that started in 1991,"
Doob said. "Whatever it is that's doing it is pretty broad."

About one-third of urban areas saw crime rates rise last year, with Saskatoon
showing the biggest jump at 10 per cent. Montreal had the biggest drop at nine
per cent.

It was the first time that Saskatoon had the highest rate in the country ?
taking over from longtime leader Regina ? mostly due to big increase in
breaking and entering, StatsCan said. In contrast, Barrie, Ont., recorded the
lowest crime rate among urban centres, despite a small rise.

Among the provinces, Saskatchewan had the highest crime rate last year while
Quebec had the lowest rate.

When it comes to measuring the quantity of serious crime relative to Canada's
population, the rate was down three per cent from 2013, StatsCan said.

Serious police-reported crime fell to its lowest level since 1998, when the
agency started tracking what it calls its crime severity index.

In all, police services reported almost 1.8 million Criminal Code incidents in
2014 ? excluding traffic offences ? with lower numbers for most offences.

The agency attributed the lower numbers mostly to fewer break-ins and
robberies but said some offences, such as child pornography and terrorism,
bucked the downward trend.

Statistics Canada said the increase in sex crimes against children reported
last year was primarily the result of incidents of luring a child via computer
and could be attributed to specialized police units targeting such offences.
First Post
2015-11-26 15:21:48 UTC
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 08:12:36 -0500, More Guns Is Less Crime
<***@nra.ch> posting-host="73725e06d2997f90f733c3c4762dac78", Liar,
forger and
troll wrote:

Don't know who is worse. The idiot Canuck that thinks they're fooling
anyone with their forgeries or the idiot left wing dumbasses that fall
for their fake posts every time.

And the pathetic left wing trolls are so frustrated that their
propaganda campaign continues to fall flat that the are getting
outright rabid in their forging of posts, redirecting follow ups and
basically acting like little children having temper tantrums.
As always they do more to discredit their own cause than any on the
right could ever dream of doing.

If the stupid assed post forging dumbass had anything significant to
say then they wouldn't by forging under other people's nyms and lying
through their yellow Canadian teeth. It must really suck to go
through life being nothing but a worthless lying sack of garbage.

Thus and so, the liberal dirtbag can't make any kind of real argument
or debate so they have nothing left but to forge posts, redirect
follow ups and lie through their teeth.
Just more proof that they aren't even righteous in their own stated
beliefs or they wouldn't be lying and playing childish games on
message boards.

King Bruce <***@bruce.net> Injection-Info:
mx02.eternal-september.org;
posting-host="73725e06d2997f90f733c3c4762dac78"
More Guns Is Less Crime <***@nra.ch> Injection-Info:
mx02.eternal-september.org;
posting-host="73725e06d2997f90f733c3c4762dac78"
Damn The American Queers <***@yahss.net>
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 19:12:00 -0500, in talk.politics.guns Governor
The point is well taken. FP continually complains about forgers even
when it's a news or editorial past. If he doesn't like it, it must be
a forgery.
I read a good article on that topic the other day. According to the
author, part of what we do when we make moral judgments (e.g.: the
posting is a "forgery") is express allegiance to a team (e.g: liberal
vs. conservative). The author argues that this interferes with our
ability to think critically; acknowledging that the other side’s
viewpoint has any merit is risky in that your teammates may see you as
a traitor.
Which explains why partisans will vote for their side even when there
side has screwed up royally. For example, though losing the election,
Hoover, and his party, still took millions of votes.
Obviously, the O.P. was not thinking critically! I note that he (or
she) pasted the same reply to several postings.
I figure he has it saved somewhere. He posts it quite a lot. So
often in fact, I no longer have any concern about his opinions on the
subject or whether or not the post is actually forged. I read them
and evaluate each on its own merits.

*newsgroups restored*

Swill
--
"The security of the Nation is not at the ramparts alone.
Security also lies in the value of our free institutions.
expression and the right of the people to know." - Judge Murray Gurfein on the Pentagon Papers
Rhino
2015-11-26 17:18:53 UTC
Post by More Guns Is Less Crime
And unlike the USA, they've got a Conservative government in charge. Thank
God for the NRA.
Not any more they don't. I'm Canadian and we elected a Liberal
government a few weeks ago, much to my personal regret.
Post by More Guns Is Less Crime
Violent crime in Canada fell for the eighth straight year ? despite a slight
increase in homicides ? with Saskatoon becoming the country's most crime-
ridden city, Statistics Canada reported Wednesday.
The downward trend came as the agency reported serious crime in general fell
to its lowest relative level since 1969 ? marking 11 straight years of
declines.
What accounts for the downward trend is not easily explained, said
criminologist Anthony Doob.
It may not be as mysterious as he thinks. I remember reading a
non-fiction book by Carsten Stroud several years back - I don't recall
the title - in which he said there was a major change in the way in
which crimes are reported. (Unfortunately, I don't recall when this
change in reporting began.) The gist of it was that in earlier years, if
a guy came home, found himself locked out, and kicked him own door open,
then punched out his wife, threw her stuff out on the lawn and then
kicked his dog, those would all count as separate crimes. After the
reporting methods changed, all of these would be treated as a single
crime. Therefore, instead of charges for breaking and entering, spousal
abuse, littering and animal abuse, this might only be reported as a
single crime. Naturally, since a given "event" often includes several
separate actions, any of which might be illegal, reporting the event as
a single crime instead of several crimes reduces the apparent crime rate
significantly, even if no fewer illegal actions actually took place.

Police and politicians can play games like this without the vast
majority of people ever becoming aware of it. All voters see is a fall
in crime because it simply wasn't reported the same way. This eases
pressure on those same police and politicians without actually reducing
crime.

I'm not saying that's the whole story in Canada but I think it's at
least part of the explanation.
Rhino
M.I.Wakefield
2015-11-26 17:28:42 UTC
Post by More Guns Is Less Crime
And unlike the USA, they've got a Conservative government in charge.
Thank
God for the NRA.
Not any more they don't. I'm Canadian and we elected a Liberal government
a few weeks ago, much to my personal regret.
And a Conservative from Canada, with its fairly strict gun control,
government run healthcare, and no abortion laws at all, is too liberal to be
elected in most of the US.
Rhino
2015-11-26 18:52:57 UTC
Post by M.I.Wakefield
Post by Rhino
Post by More Guns Is Less Crime
And unlike the USA, they've got a Conservative government in charge.
Thank
God for the NRA.
Not any more they don't. I'm Canadian and we elected a Liberal
government a few weeks ago, much to my personal regret.
And a Conservative from Canada, with its fairly strict gun control,
government run healthcare, and no abortion laws at all, is too liberal
to be elected in most of the US.
Different countries, different cultures ;-)

Harper would probably be seen as a RINO (Republican In Name Only)
squish, kind of like Jeb Bush, if he were running in the US. The
relentlessly-leftist Canadian media, however, painted him to be a
Hitler-wannabe.
Rhino
Governor Swill
2015-11-27 00:17:08 UTC
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 12:18:53 -0500, Rhino
Post by Rhino
[...]
Much like the precipitous drops in the unemployment rate in the
eighties after the Reagan DoL changed the way unemployment was
counted. This resulted in a growing importance to the "participation
rate". Trouble there is, the PR becomes a political football. When a
leftist is in power and crowing about it's unemployment gains (such as
today and under Clinton), rightists start yakking about how it's all
bogus because the participation rate isn't being included in he count.
Under Bush, it was the other way around. Liberals and Dems whined
about the PR while Republicans and conservatives tended to generally
dismiss it.

The methods for determining the unemployment rate tend to be subject
to political whim and are not very accurate, sometimes, they aren't
even informative.

Swill
S***@smack.com
2015-11-27 01:57:30 UTC
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 19:17:08 -0500, Governor Swill
Post by Governor Swill
The methods for determining the unemployment rate tend to be subject
to political whim and are not very accurate, sometimes, they aren't
even informative.
Actually (I believe) the disparate figures are an accepted way of
computing unemployment rates based on some way the dept does.

The total number is seldom used as a reflection of the
joblessness---but it is always cited by republicans (mostly) as a way
of discrediting anything that is done by democrats.

The figure (the lower) is the figure most widely accepted as
reflective when talking about the economic conditions

I know you're more interested in "Both" sides sharing equal
blame..(insert issue here), but it's a piss poor way of arguing about
who the better party is for dealing with national things.

The entire conservative structure (simply) is that: "If you give the
wealth class (business, investor, ect) more money---they will do
better for America.

If the last 25 years of economic woe from "trickle-down" isn't known
to you (and I believe it is)---then you need to explain why the middle
and lower income levels are being decimated by that republican policy
and the top wealth class is so massively rich and haven't managed a
fucking thing to show for "trickling" it down
Post by Governor Swill
"These gentlemen are the moral equivalents of America’s
founding fathers.

Ronald Regan introducing the Mujahideen leaders, 1985).
Beam Me Up Scotty
2015-11-27 15:20:15 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
The methods for determining the unemployment rate tend to be subject
to political whim and are not very accurate, sometimes, they aren't
even informative.
Actually (I believe) the disparate figures are an accepted way of
computing unemployment rates based on some way the dept does.
The total number is seldom used as a reflection of the
joblessness---but it is always cited by republicans (mostly) as a way
of discrediting anything that is done by democrats.
The figure (the lower) is the figure most widely accepted as
reflective when talking about the economic conditions
You mean the manipulated number is the one they publish for Liberal
propaganda...

Yes we all know that.
The ideology of Liberalism is a never ending stream of contradictions.
Governor Swill
2015-11-27 20:43:25 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
The methods for determining the unemployment rate tend to be subject
to political whim and are not very accurate, sometimes, they aren't
even informative.
Actually (I believe) the disparate figures are an accepted way of
computing unemployment rates based on some way the dept does.
The total number is seldom used as a reflection of the
joblessness---but it is always cited by republicans (mostly) as a way
of discrediting anything that is done by democrats.
The figure (the lower) is the figure most widely accepted as
reflective when talking about the economic conditions
Now, here we go. This is exactly what I meant above. A democrat is
in the White House while the Republicans have both houses in Congress
so a conservative loon posts,
Post by Beam Me Up Scotty
You mean the manipulated number is the one they publish for Liberal
propaganda...
Yes we all know that.
A dozen years ago, give or take, it was liberal loons posting,

"You mean the manipulated number is the one they publish for
conservative propaganda...

"Yes, we all know that."

See how that works? Both sides are guilty of the same stupid
behaviors and as a result, both sides are wrong.

If the conservatives have any complaint about the jobless rate or
participation rate or Planned Parenthood funding or Defense spending
or Obamacare funding (or anything else near and dear to them), it's
with their own party which currently controls the agendas in Congress
and could swing a 2/3 majority in either House if they wanted to.

Oh, wait! They HAVE been complaining about their own party in
Congress!

Swill
Beam Me Up Scotty
2015-11-27 20:59:11 UTC
Post by Beam Me Up Scotty
You mean the manipulated number is the one they publish for Liberal
propaganda...
Yes we all know that.
A dozen years ago, give or take, it was liberal loons posting,
"You mean the manipulated number is the one they publish for
conservative propaganda...
"Yes, we all know that."
See how that works? Both sides are guilty of the same stupid
behaviors and as a result, both sides are wrong.
Except I said it when both were in office... When bush was touting 4%
unemployment I said is was double that.

SO the only loon here is you.
That's Karma
Governor Swill
2015-11-27 20:11:33 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
The methods for determining the unemployment rate tend to be subject
to political whim and are not very accurate, sometimes, they aren't
even informative.
Actually (I believe) the disparate figures are an accepted way of
computing unemployment rates based on some way the dept does.
The total number is seldom used as a reflection of the
joblessness---but it is always cited by republicans (mostly) as a way
of discrediting anything that is done by democrats.
And is also cited by Democrats as a way of discrediting anything that
is done by Republicans. Or maybe you've forgotten the job rate
whining of liberals during the Bush administration when the cons
bragged about "the fundamentals of the economy" being so strong. Until
it imploded in 2007.
Post by S***@smack.com
The figure (the lower) is the figure most widely accepted as
reflective when talking about the economic conditions
The Official Unemployment Rate reflects only the number of people who
are getting unemployment benefits (laid off workers only) who continue
to submit three job seeking cites per week to their state DoL. That
is, if you were fired or quit, you aren't counted as unemployed
because you're not entitled to benefits. When your benefits run out,
you're no longer counted as unemployed. If you aren't reporting into
your local DoL as often as required, you're no longer counted as
unemployed.

The official position is that such people have "given up" on finding a
job. Perhaps many of them have, but many others are still seeking
work, they've just stopped bothering with an ineffective DoL which is
unable to help them and are trying to use other means to generate
income.
Post by S***@smack.com
I know you're more interested in "Both" sides sharing equal
blame..(insert issue here), but it's a piss poor way of arguing about
who the better party is for dealing with national things.
As is the insistence of partisans that there way is best, thus
shutting out any discussion. The ONLY way to sort out what's best for
the country is for all sides of an issue to have dispassionate
discussion about it and work out a solution.
Post by S***@smack.com
The entire conservative structure (simply) is that: "If you give the
wealth class (business, investor, ect) more money---they will do
better for America.
That's one issue.
Post by S***@smack.com
If the last 25 years of economic woe from "trickle-down" isn't known
to you (and I believe it is)---then you need to explain why the middle
and lower income levels are being decimated by that republican policy
and the top wealth class is so massively rich and haven't managed a
fucking thing to show for "trickling" it down
Which we all know doesn't work as well as employing a robust middle
class.

Swill
unknown
2015-11-26 17:23:25 UTC
Post by More Guns Is Less Crime
And unlike the USA, they've got a Conservative government in charge. Thank
God for the NRA.
The Liberals won several weeks ago, you ignorant fuckwit.
Post by More Guns Is Less Crime
Violent crime in Canada fell for the eighth straight year ? despite a slight
increase in homicides ? with Saskatoon becoming the country's most crime-
ridden city, Statistics Canada reported Wednesday.
The downward trend came as the agency reported serious crime in general fell
to its lowest relative level since 1969 ? marking 11 straight years of
declines.
What accounts for the downward trend is not easily explained, said
criminologist Anthony Doob.
It has nothing to do with gun laws. The percentage of households with
guns in Canada is far smaller than in the USA, and hardly any Canadians
carry guns.

You're an idiot, as well as a fuckwit.
Ubiquitous
2015-11-26 17:46:31 UTC
Post by More Guns Is Less Crime
And unlike the USA, they've got a Conservative government in charge. Thank
God for the NRA.
It's a long-proven fact.

And you posted this off-topic article here because?
--
The old Soviet leaders had it right. Our destruction comes from within:
Moochers, parasites, and Obama.
Ashton Crusher

%
RichA
2015-11-27 07:23:52 UTC
Crime is low because of the CONSERVATIVES tough-on-crime policies of the LAST EIGHT YEARS.
trotsky
2015-11-27 11:44:29 UTC
You are so FULL OF SHIT.
Michael Black
2015-11-27 16:26:52 UTC
Post by RichA
Crime is low because of the CONSERVATIVES tough-on-crime policies of the LAST EIGHT YEARS.
Usually it works the other way.

The current government is blamed for whatever, when it actually started
with the previous government.

Michael