"The Simpsons" criticized for reference to Apu's stereotyping
David
2018-04-09 11:49:03 UTC
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/simpsons-addresses-apu-stereotype-controversy-1100853

'The Simpsons' Addresses Apu Stereotype Controversy
by Abid Rahman

Following recent criticism that the character Apu Nahasapeemapetilon
pushed negative South Asian stereotypes, The Simpsons addressed the
controversy on Sunday's episode.

In the episode "No Good Read Goes Unpunished," Marge and Lisa
indirectly discuss the portrayal of Apu. In the scene in question,
Marge has edited a new version of The Princess in the Garden,
tailoring it to what would be acceptable and inoffensive in 2018.
Marge reads the story to Lisa, but the new version is much shorter and
lacking in an "emotional journey" for the central character. Both
Marge and Lisa then make reference to Apu, with Lisa looking at a
picture of the character and saying "something that started decades
ago and was applauded and inoffensive, is now politically incorrect.
What can you do?"

Kondabolu responded to the episode on Twitter on Sunday. "Wow.
“Politically Incorrect?” That’s the takeaway from my movie & the
discussion it sparked? Man, I really loved this show. This is sad," he
wrote. "In “The Problem with Apu,” I used Apu & The Simpsons as an
entry point into a larger conversation about the representation of
marginalized groups & why this is important. The Simpsons response
tonight is not a jab at me, but at what many of us consider progress."
Obveeus
2018-04-09 12:58:37 UTC
Post by David
[...]
There is no point in trying to please (or appease) people who create
'outrage' over some minor event so that they can use it for their
social/political railing.

While Apu is shown as a low life convenience store clerk, he is also
shown as the hardest worker in the entire city and as a guy who supports
and cares for his family. Should white people be offended by the fat,
white loser main character or the evil white corporate boss who doesn't
care about anyone's safety...just his profit? Should black people be
offended by the black doctor, Hibbert, who is frequently uncaring about
patient outcomes...and seems to maybe be mocking Bill Cosby except that
I haven't heard that THE SIMPSONS has portrayed him date raping anyone
yet. Should Latinos (or is it Hungarians) be upset because the other
doctor on THE SIMPSONS is portrayed as being totally incompetent?
shawn
2018-04-09 14:24:47 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Congratulations on falling in to the trap. This 'controversy' is just
helping to keep the show in the press as anyone that would be truly
offended by the portrayal of Apu wouldn't be watching the show in any
case.
BTR1701
Aww, too bad, princess. Go suck your thumb or something.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-04-09 15:05:13 UTC
Post by David
Kondabolu responded to the episode on Twitter on Sunday. "Wow.
'Politically Incorrect?' That's the takeaway from my movie & the
discussion it sparked? Man, I really loved this show. This is sad," he
wrote. "In THE PROBLEM WITH APU, I used Apu & THE SIMPSONS as an
entry point into a larger conversation about the representation of
marginalized groups & why this is important. THE SIMPSONS response
tonight is not a jab at me, but at what many of us consider progress."
Aww, too bad, princess. Go suck your thumb or something.
There are over 1 billion Hindus around the world. As you can see, it's a
completely marginalized group.