What Did You Watch? 2017-09-12 (Tuesday)
Obveeus
2017-09-13 13:25:01 UTC

NARCOS: 3 more episodes from the latest season. Clinton's
banking/business rules have made things tougher on the cartels. NAFTA
has shifted the drug pipeline from the Caribbean to the Mexico border.
The CIA continues to be an evil entity promoting the illegal drug trade
as a method of accomplishing the war mongering that they love so much.
Kerry Bishe (HALT AND CATCH FIRE) and Miguel Angel Silvestre (SENSE8)
have joined the cast as a couple caught up in the financial gains of
cocaine in the Cali cartel.

FACEOFF GAME FACE: This spinoff series from FACEOFF in which the
contestants are only given a couple of hours to create their looks so
that nothing is done well. The contestants all seem to be returning
cast members from prior seasons of the main series. To aid them in
their work, they are allowed to use a bunch of premade facial prosthetic
appliances...and maybe the real idea for this show is to serve as an
infomercial that you could buy these things for home use as well?

RIGHT NOW, WRONG THEN: A 2015 Korean film about a filmmaker and a
painter who spend the day on a sort of date. This film plays out the
events two times in a slightly different manner and I guess the
enjoyment for the audience is supposed to be in looking for the
differences? Mostly, this seemed like some sort of intellectual
exercise for the actors that didn't really offer anything to the
audience. The IMDB score of 7.2 suggests that I missed something good
that most other viewers saw. Potential viewers beware.

2017-09-13 13:48:52 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Preacher - "The End of the Road" - Already covered.

American Horror Story: Cult (OnDemand) - "Election Night" - They changed
the name of the show so my DVR didn't catch the show when it returned.
*Why* do they do this? Anyway this new season is I guess about the
aftermath of the 2016 election with a horror spin but so far it's a
complete incoherent mess. I *think* I dumped last season about half way
in. This new season better get a lot better and fast!

"Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" - Second episode of AHS. I think instead
of horror maybe they are going with satire and trying to parody
stereotypical liberals and Trump supporters but they are not doing a
good job, at all.

Sleepy Hollow - "Loco Parentis" - Digging into my DVR backlog I'm
finally finishing off Sleepy Hollow. First up an episode dealing with
the new young "witness" and the return of an old enemy. It was OK and
got me in the mood to finally burn through the rest.

Sleepy Hollow - "Sick Burn" - Team Crane fight a magical "viral" video
that causes people to become sick and burn to death. Hey, it's Peter Pan.

Drone Wars (Netflix rental) - Low budget sci-fi movie about alien robot
"drones" invading the world. The movie picks up after the world has
been mostly destroyed and stars Corin Nemec as the leader of an army
unit leading the resistance in LA. In addition to aliens trying to wipe
out humanity Nemec also has to deal with a gang (straight out of a 70s
or 80s movie) who for no reason I could discern other than "plot" are
fighting the army too. This was *bad* like really bad. Like so bad
that SyFy wouldn't air it because it's beneath their high standards! I
*really* need to go through my queue and start purging more of the junk
that slipped through the cracks.
Obveeus
2017-09-13 14:04:33 UTC
Drone Wars (Netflix rental) - Low budget sci-fi movie about alien robot
"drones" invading the world.  The movie picks up after the world has
been mostly destroyed and stars Corin Nemec as the leader of an army
unit leading the resistance in LA.  In addition to aliens trying to wipe
out humanity Nemec also has to deal with a gang (straight out of a 70s
or 80s movie) who for no reason I could discern other than "plot" are
fighting the army too.  This was *bad* like really bad.  Like so bad
that SyFy wouldn't air it because it's beneath their high standards!  I
*really* need to go through my queue and start purging more of the junk
that slipped through the cracks.
DRONE WARS has a 3.1 IMDB score. If you want to purge garbage from your
queue, the best place to start would be to go through it and remove
anything with a sub 5.0 score...sending the links to Ian, of course,
since those are the films/shows he seeks out.
anim8rfsk
2017-09-13 14:43:20 UTC
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I like Corin Nemec but boy howdy he's not exactly a hallmark of a
quality production, is he?
2017-09-13 16:07:10 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
I have to do a quasi-two day here thanks to ES eating yesterday's WDYW?
post of mine, though I'm not going to talk about "The Last Ship" or
"Violetta" (ep. #1.38) nearly as much...:

The Last Ship (recorded) - "Alligience". As I've said elsewhere, I
actually thought this was the first decent episode of the season - it
helped that the "bad guys" weren't in this one. But the boarding of the
refuge ship was appropriately tense, and I liked the subplot with
Chandler and the navy.
Next episode: It looks like we're back to EVOL!!1! Sybilla Deen
trying to sink them... :|

Violetta (The Netflix) - In ep. #1.39, EVOL!!1! Ludmilla once again
sabotages the chances of her sidekick Nati (who wants to replace
Violetta in the "big show"), but karma's a bitch when Ludmilla has to
drop out of being the lead in the "big show" when she's forced to go on
tour(!?!) for the pig feed people!! (Heh.) Also, Cami replaces Violetta.
Meanwhile, Violetta's father, German, catches Angie and Pablo
kissing (Angie is a *mess* these days). And Violetta is still stringing
both Tomas and Leon along!
Episode #1.40 will be the "mid-season finale" for this one -
unfortunately, it doesn't look like that episode will actually cover
the "big show", though it does look like Violetta is finally going to
tell her dad that she's been attending the "estudio"...

Hooten & the Lady (recorded) - "Cambodia". Decent episode, though both
the resolution of the "break" between Hooten and Alex, and the
resolution to the storyline with the "Big Bad" chasing Hooten, came far
too easily to my mind. So did the resolution to the storyline of Alex
being in trouble with the museum.
The next episode is the finale, and it looks like a straight
"treasure hunt" episode - an odd way to end this one IMO...

Recorded for later: "Midnight, Texas" (which, incidentally, is also
airing a new episode *tonight*...).
2017-09-13 16:26:55 UTC
Hooten & the Lady (recorded) - "Cambodia". Decent episode, though both
the resolution of the "break" between Hooten and Alex, and the
resolution to the storyline with the "Big Bad" chasing Hooten, came far
too easily to my mind. So did the resolution to the storyline of Alex
being in trouble with the museum.
The next episode is the finale, and it looks like a straight
"treasure hunt" episode - an odd way to end this one IMO...
Complications will ensue.
Yes, it won't end like he thinks it does.
anim8rfsk
2017-09-13 17:39:20 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Hooten & the Lady (recorded) - "Cambodia". Decent episode, though both
the resolution of the "break" between Hooten and Alex, and the
resolution to the storyline with the "Big Bad" chasing Hooten, came far
too easily to my mind. So did the resolution to the storyline of Alex
being in trouble with the museum.
The next episode is the finale, and it looks like a straight
"treasure hunt" episode - an odd way to end this one IMO...
Complications will ensue.
Yes, it won't end like he thinks it does.
I can't bear the suspense!
David Barnett
2017-09-14 01:07:11 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
On Tue Sept 12 I watched:

LUCIFER: Stewardess Interruptus
Good.

THE DEUCE: Pilot
Upper female nudity, but not erotic afaiac.
The forehead scar differentiates the twins.
About prostitution & not pornography so far.

OUTLANDER: The Battle Joined
The first episode of Season 3.
This is all flashback for both past & present.
In the previous episode her daughter is grown up.

I find battle scenes boring; I usually don't know
who's who or who's winning.
There is a fair amount of battle in the "past" part of this episode.
Maintained my interest apart from that.

THE BLETCHLEY CIRCLE: Blood on their Hands (1) (2)
The first 2 episodes of Season 2.
The leading female actress of Season 1 is not in Season 2.
OK.
David Barnett
suzeeq
2017-09-14 01:11:47 UTC
Post by David Barnett
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
LUCIFER: Stewardess Interruptus
Good.
THE DEUCE: Pilot
Upper female nudity, but not erotic afaiac.
The forehead scar differentiates the twins.
About prostitution & not pornography so far.
OUTLANDER: The Battle Joined
The first episode of Season 3.
This is all flashback for both past & present.
In the previous episode her daughter is grown up.
I find battle scenes boring; I usually don't know
who's who or who's winning.
There is a fair amount of battle in the "past" part of this episode.
Maintained my interest apart from that.
Yeah, when I encounter them in books, I skim them for dialogue but other
wise skip them.
OK.
Ubiquitous
2017-09-29 09:58:52 UTC
Post by Obveeus

RICK AND MORTY:
"The Ricklantis Mixup". The guys visit Atlantis...
Holy crap! I don't want to spoil anything just yet, plus I need to rewatch
ths...

HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS:
"Extreme Planets".

AMERICAN GLADIATORS:
That popular competitive athletics show from the 1980's.

HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS:
"Stars That Kill".

TJ HOOKER:
"Too Late for Love". Romano supplies information to fur thieves when he falls
for a model who works for the gang. Did they ever explain why Hooker works
at a Police Academy?

THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ORANGE COUNTY:
"Loose Lips Sink Friendships". Meghan continues to reel from Kelly's attack;
Tamra gets an unexpected phone call; Peggy prepares to send her daughters off
to college; Shannon celebrates her birthday; details from Eddie's past are
revealed.

SPACE' DEEPEST SECRETS:
"Search for Alien Earths". Astronomers and researchers are on the hunt for
the groundbreaking discovery that confirms extraterrestrial life. Using
state-of-the-art technology like the Kepler telescope, scientists examine
thousands of exoplanets in search of another Earth

HOGAN'S HEROES:
"A Tiger Hunt in Paris". In this two-parter, Hogan tries to free an
underground agent captured in Paris by the Gestapo.