Black teen laughs at 25 years, gets sentenced to 65 years
i***@gmail.com
2018-04-08 12:31:02 UTC
"A black Alabama teen turns down 25-year plea deal, gets sentenced to 65 years instead - and laughs"
By Kathleen Joyce

Lakeith Smith, 18, was sentenced to 65 years in prison on murder and theft. (Elmore County Jail)

An Alabama teen laughed Thursday as a judge sentenced him to 65 years in prison for murder and theft after he rejected a plea deal that would have given him 25 years behind bars.

Lakeith Smith, 18, of Montgomery, Ala., was sentenced to 65 years by Judge Sibley Reynolds for “felony murder, armed burglary, second-degree theft and third-degree theft,”

Smith smiled and laughed while being sentenced at the Elmore County courthouse. He had turned down a plea deal that would have recommended he spend 25 years in prison on the charges.

“I don’t think Mr. Smith will be smiling long when he gets to prison,” C.J. Robinson, chief assistant district attorney, said. “We are very pleased with this sentence. Because the sentences are consecutive, it will be a long time before he comes up for even the possibility for parole, at least 20 to 25 years.”

Judge Reynolds said Smith seemed to show no remorse for his crimes during the trial and did not apologize. He also overhead the teen say, “I don’t have time for this.”

“You got plenty of time for this,” Reynolds told Smith before announcing the sentence. “When I called the case earlier you said you ain’t got time for this, so I didn’t know if you had time for this now?”

Smith laughed and said he did not know Reynolds heard his comment.

“You just don’t get it, do you?” Reynolds asked. "He hasn't said I'm sorry yet. He hasn't acknowledged to this court that he shouldn't have done, shouldn't have come around, in fact, his attitude toward this court and life, in general, has been sour.”

Smith’s grandfather pleaded with the judge and the teen to give him a chance to apologize.

“He’s had every opportunity,” Reynolds said. "I’ve asked two or three times today.”

Smith was charged under Alabama’s accomplice law, “which holds co-defendants can be guilty of murder if a death occurs when they are committing a crime,” the Montgomery Adviser reported.

On Feb. 23, 2015, Smith, along with four other people, broke into two homes in Millbrook. Police responded to calls of the robberies, and the suspects fired at the officer who entered the home they were raiding. The suspects fled the home but continued to fire at the officer.

One of the suspects, A’Donte Washington, 16, of Montgomery, who was armed with a revolver, allegedly pointed a gun at the officer, body cam footage showed. The officer fired at the teenager, killing him.

Smith was charged with Washington’s death despite not firing the shots due to the accomplice law. A grand jury cleared the officer who fired the shots at Washington.

The other suspects, Jhavarske Jackson, 23, Jadarien Hardy, 22 and La’Anthony Washington, 22, entered guilty pleas of “felony murder, burglary and theft” but have not been sentenced yet."

Irish Mike
moviePig
2018-04-08 14:01:43 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
Interesting story. Just wondering why 'black' is in the headline.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Neill Massello
It *does* seem rather redundant, doesn't it?
anim8rfsk
2018-04-08 17:15:48 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
Post by moviePig
Post by i***@gmail.com
Lakeith Smith, 18, was sentenced to 65 years in prison on murder and
theft. (Elmore County Jail)
[snip]
The other suspects, Jhavarske Jackson, 23, Jadarien Hardy, 22 and
La'Anthony Washington, 22, entered guilty pleas of "felony murder,
burglary and theft" but have not been sentenced yet."
Interesting story. Just wondering why 'black' is in the headline.
It *does* seem rather redundant, doesn't it?
He'll be out by the time he's 40. Unless he dies in prison.
2018-04-08 17:53:52 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
Post by moviePig
Post by i***@gmail.com
Lakeith Smith, 18, was sentenced to 65 years in prison on murder and
theft. (Elmore County Jail)
[snip]
The other suspects, Jhavarske Jackson, 23, Jadarien Hardy, 22 and
La'Anthony Washington, 22, entered guilty pleas of "felony murder,
burglary and theft" but have not been sentenced yet."
Interesting story. Just wondering why 'black' is in the headline.
It *does* seem rather redundant, doesn't it?
' If we focus on “weird” African American names in jokes and
conversation, it’s because blacks remain at the bottom of America’s
racial caste system. “Hunter” is just as unusual as “Malik,” but it’s
understood as “normal” because of its association with white men. It’s
arbitrary, yes, but it reflects who holds power. Indeed, if the
situation were reversed, odds are good there would be plenty of jokes
about “dysfunctional” white people who name their children “Geoff.” '

https://www.thedailybeast.com/are-blacks-names-weird-or-are-you-just-racist
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
i***@gmail.com
2018-04-08 19:40:02 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
Post by moviePig
Post by i***@gmail.com
Lakeith Smith, 18, was sentenced to 65 years in prison on murder and
theft. (Elmore County Jail)
[snip]
The other suspects, Jhavarske Jackson, 23, Jadarien Hardy, 22 and
La'Anthony Washington, 22, entered guilty pleas of "felony murder,
burglary and theft" but have not been sentenced yet."
Interesting story. Just wondering why 'black' is in the headline.
It *does* seem rather redundant, doesn't it?
' If we focus on “weird” African American names in jokes and
conversation, it’s because blacks remain at the bottom of America’s
racial caste system.
With all due respect Mr. Pig, be careful you don't choke on that
politically correct rubbish. It has to do with the desire, or lack
of desire, to assimilate into traditional American society.

For example, look at the names Asian parents give their children
that are born in America. Nearly all have traditional American names.
Right or wrong, politically correct or not, it does help
the children assimilate into mainstream American society.

Irish Mike

"If you want to piss off a Conservative - tell him a lie.
If you want to piss off a Liberal - tell him the truth."
moviePig
2018-04-08 20:37:01 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by moviePig
Post by Neill Massello
Post by moviePig
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
You might want to read the whole article. It's short, interesting, and
gave me a bit of new perspective. Meanwhile, the question remains of
why you added 'black' to the headline, or whether you'd have posted it
were the defendant white (... which he easily could've been). Afaics,
the original article (from FoxNews) didn't use 'black' at all.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
AntennaTV
2018-04-08 21:19:23 UTC
You might want to read the whole article. It's short, interesting, and
gave me a bit of new perspective. Meanwhile, the question remains of
why you added 'black' to the headline, or whether you'd have posted it
were the defendant white (... which he easily could've been). Afaics,
the original article (from FoxNews) didn't use 'black' at all.
Let me help you wrap your little brain around this.

If I had posted this I would have ADDED BLACK! So you knew 100% who it
was, ie not a white person.

Yes, it would be done to be a bigoted racist person in my case.

Happy now?

Good!

Actually could have just used the name to have the same affect!

lakeith? Or is La Keith? or L'Keith... Really is there something like the
Green Book of old on how to dream up these stupid ass names?

America is a racist bigoted country.
Neill Massello
2018-04-09 13:12:29 UTC
Meanwhile, the question remains of why you added 'black' to the headline,
or whether you'd have posted it were the defendant white (... which he
easily could've been). Afaics, the original article (from FoxNews) didn't
use 'black' at all.
The Fox News article contains a picture, which couldn't be posted here.

<http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/07/ala-teen-turns-down-25-year-plea-deal-gets-sentenced-to-65-years-instead-and-laughs.html>

So did the other sites, even The Root, that ran the story.

<https://www.theroot.com/alabama-teen-gets-65-years-for-death-of-friend-killed-b-1825071334>

<https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lakeith-smith-adonte-washington-sentence-murder_us_5ac8df6de4b09d0a11943ba4>

<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/teen-turns-25-year-prison-offer-65-years-article-1.3918431>

<https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/05/teen-accomplice-sentenced-65-years/492001002/>

Had the story not contained the felony murder twist, most of those sites
would probably have spiked it; and if they had run it, there would have
been no photo and no mention of race. Look up Coulter's Law.

Meanwhile, the question remains of whether you would have objected to
the mention of race if the story been about the kid winning a medal for
valor -- or if the perp had been white.
Obveeus
2018-04-09 13:36:59 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
[...]
Someone upthread edits the word 'black' into the headline and you cannot
manage to figure out that the person is a racist? Instead you try to
pretend that you are playing Devil's advocate and you question if there
would be an objection if a poster had surreptitiously added the word
'white' to a headline?
moviePig
2018-04-09 14:59:33 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
[...]
"Black teen wins medal"... Hmm. Yeah, that seems questionable.

"White teen laughs at 25 years"... Yeah, so does that.

Meanwhile, it's harder to infer editorial intent from a photo (worth a
thousand words) than from a headline (worth a chosen few). But, sure,
I'll listen to a justification of adding 'black' to the header here...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Neill Massello
2018-04-09 15:15:20 UTC
Meanwhile, it's harder to infer editorial intent from a photo (worth a
thousand words) than from a headline (worth a chosen few). But, sure,
I'll listen to a justification of adding 'black' to the header here...
Your baroque pseudo-rules about when it is and when it isn't permissible
to mention race are really just anti-white racism.
moviePig
2018-04-09 16:05:42 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
Post by moviePig
Meanwhile, it's harder to infer editorial intent from a photo (worth a
thousand words) than from a headline (worth a chosen few). But, sure,
I'll listen to a justification of adding 'black' to the header here...
Your baroque pseudo-rules about when it is and when it isn't permissible
to mention race are really just anti-white racism.
Not sure how my question becomes a "rule", except perhaps as a way to
avoid answering it. But maybe the inventive label of 'anti-white
racist' will serve that purpose...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
trotsky
2018-04-08 21:26:13 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by moviePig
Post by Neill Massello
Post by moviePig
Post by i***@gmail.com
Lakeith Smith, 18, was sentenced to 65 years in prison on murder and
theft. (Elmore County Jail)
[snip]
The other suspects, Jhavarske Jackson, 23, Jadarien Hardy, 22 and
La'Anthony Washington, 22, entered guilty pleas of "felony murder,
burglary and theft" but have not been sentenced yet."
Interesting story. Just wondering why 'black' is in the headline.
It *does* seem rather redundant, doesn't it?
' If we focus on “weird” African American names in jokes and
conversation, it’s because blacks remain at the bottom of America’s
racial caste system.
With all due respect Mr. Pig, be careful you don't choke on that
politically correct rubbish. It has to do with the desire, or lack
of desire, to assimilate into traditional American society.
So white assholes dragged them here from Africa, and you're emulating
their assholishness by saying their supposed to be "assimilate into
traditional American society"? What aspect of Native Americans are they
supposed to assimilate into, exactly?

---
2018-04-08 19:48:59 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
Post by moviePig
Post by i***@gmail.com
Lakeith Smith, 18, was sentenced to 65 years in prison on murder and
theft. (Elmore County Jail)
The other suspects, Jhavarske Jackson, 23, Jadarien Hardy, 22 and
La'Anthony Washington, 22, entered guilty pleas of "felony murder,
burglary and theft" but have not been sentenced yet."
Interesting story. Just wondering why 'black' is in the headline.
It *does* seem rather redundant, doesn't it?
'If we focus on "weird" African American names in jokes and
conversation, it's because blacks remain at the bottom of America's
racial caste system. "Hunter" is just as unusual as "Malik", but it's
understood as "normal" because of its association with white men. It's
arbitrary, yes, but it reflects who holds power. Indeed, if the
situation were reversed, odds are good there would be plenty of jokes
about "dysfunctional" white people who name their children 'Geoff."'
Oh, for god's sake.

Even Key & Peele have mocked silly black athlete names. Key & Peele are
black themselves. Are they being racist against themselves?

But even assuming your argument, one's job as a parent is to give your
kid the best shot possible in the world, so knowing the power dynamic
and racial issues in America, why would you saddle your kid with
Jhavarske or D'Brickashaw instead of Michael or Robert? If you believe
in the racist model of America, then you believe that your kid is
already starting out at a disadvantage, so why handicap him/her even
further with names like that? Why not give your kids every possible
advantage you can?

There's not even any 'black history' justification for those names. Go
to Kenya or Nigeria or Rwanda and you won't find any Jhavarskes or
D'Brickashaws or La'Queeshas. Those are wholly invented by Americans who
think they sound exotic and traditionally African but don't have any
African etiology at all.
moviePig
2018-04-08 20:44:46 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
http://youtu.be/gODZzSOelss
But even assuming your argument, one's job as a parent is to give your
kid the best shot possible in the world, so knowing the power dynamic
and racial issues in America, why would you saddle your kid with
Jhavarske or D'Brickashaw instead of Michael or Robert? If you believe
in the racist model of America, then you believe that your kid is
already starting out at a disadvantage, so why handicap him/her even
further with names like that? Why not give your kids every possible
advantage you can?
There's not even any 'black history' justification for those names. Go
to Kenya or Nigeria or Rwanda and you won't find any Jhavarskes or
D'Brickashaws or La'Queeshas. Those are wholly invented by Americans who
think they sound exotic and traditionally African but don't have any
African etiology at all.
Read the (short) article. While we're free to proffer parenting advice,
we do well to remember that different cultures have their own priorities
-- where, e.g., kowtowing to white dominance might be viewed negatively.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
BTR1701
2018-04-08 21:43:59 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
Post by moviePig
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
If you're using your kid as a political statement to his/her detriment,
you're failing as a parent.
moviePig
2018-04-09 02:13:58 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
Post by moviePig
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
Enlisting one's own children to a political/cultural cause is a
time-honored American tradition, regardless of whether you (or I)
personally subscribe to it. One definition of a 'good parent' is
someone who brings what he believes he has to offer...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
trotsky
2018-04-08 21:27:17 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
Post by moviePig
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
Excellent point. Being black, they're also allowed to use the N word.
Oh, that makes your point garbage then.

---
2018-04-09 02:21:10 UTC
Post by Neill Massello
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
The "silly black athlete" name that comes readily to mind is 'Isiah(sic)
Thomas', which I've assumed was a parental misspelling that he's chosen
to honor in some sort of filial piety. Personally, I see little
honorable in promulgating ignorance, but it's his informed choice.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
trotsky
What?
super70s
2018-04-09 03:52:04 UTC
But even assuming your argument, one's job as a parent is to give your
kid the best shot possible in the world, so knowing the power dynamic
and racial issues in America, why would you saddle your kid with
Jhavarske or D'Brickashaw instead of Michael or Robert?
Personally I don't find Jhavarske or D'Brickashaw that much more weird
than Skyler or some other favorite white "creative" name.

Read something a while back about how some parents give their kids
strange names because they think it will cause their kids to be unique
in ways other than just their name, when studies show those kids are no
more unique than other kids with a common name.
BTR1701
2018-04-09 04:15:15 UTC
In article
Post by super70s
Post by BTR1701
But even assuming your argument, one's job as a parent is to give your
kid the best shot possible in the world, so knowing the power dynamic
and racial issues in America, why would you saddle your kid with
Jhavarske or D'Brickashaw instead of Michael or Robert?
Personally I don't find Jhavarske or D'Brickashaw that much more weird
than Skyler or some other favorite white "creative" name.
Read something a while back about how some parents give their kids
strange names because they think it will cause their kids to be unique
in ways other than just their name, when studies show those kids are no
more unique than other kids with a common name.
The tiresome hubris of parents regarding how 'special' their spawn are
knows no racial or ethnic boundaries.
trotsky
What are the other kinds of hubris? LOL.
RichA
Cause white teens don't all have stupid, illiterate made-up names? If I were he courts, I'd check to see if their identities are right. They have to be fake names.
moviePig
2018-04-09 02:22:58 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
Whatever those names may be, they're not 'illiterate'. Read and learn.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
RichA
I particularly like when kids are named after Ancient Roman leaders. At least those names are real.
moviePig
2018-04-09 13:30:19 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
"Real" because they're somebody else's, it seems ...like 'Junior'.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
i***@gmail.com
2018-04-09 14:16:53 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
It gets even better:

http://www.wsfa.com/story/37892195/teen-laughs-before-judge-hands-down-65-year-prison-sentence

"Now three of the defendants will stand trial for other crimes in
Montgomery that reportedly occurred before they arrived in Elmore
County. Jackson and Hardy are charged with murder in Montgomery County
and Washington is charged with first-degree robbery and second-degree
kidnapping."

Irish Mike
moviePig
2018-04-09 15:02:11 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
I'll bet their hearts are black, too...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Shadow
2018-04-08 15:17:17 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
"A black Alabama teen turns down 25-year plea deal, gets sentenced to 65 years instead - and laughs"
Your point being that if he was white he would have had the
sentence reduced ?
IAWTR.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
i***@gmail.com
2018-04-08 16:58:26 UTC
Post by Shadow
Post by i***@gmail.com
"A black Alabama teen turns down 25-year plea deal, gets sentenced to 65 years instead - and laughs"
Your point being that if he was white he would have had the
sentence reduced ?
Simple solution Boyo. When you see the words "black" or "white"
in a subject line, avert your eyes, lace up your politically correct boots real
tight and run as fast as you can to the nearest DSFSP (Designated Snow Flake Safe Place).
Do not attempt to leave said DSFSP, until you feel you have fully recovered , mentally
emotionally, spiritually and physically. And remember to aways err on the side of caution.

Best luck,

Irish Mike
Shadow
2018-04-08 19:58:39 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Shadow
Post by i***@gmail.com
"A black Alabama teen turns down 25-year plea deal, gets sentenced to 65 years instead - and laughs"
Your point being that if he was white he would have had the
sentence reduced ?
Simple solution Boyo. When you see the words "black" or "white"
in a subject line, avert your eyes, lace up your politically correct boots real
tight and run as fast as you can to the nearest DSFSP (Designated Snow Flake Safe Place).
They wouldn't let me in. Apparently you have to be a
registered repuglican. You know, the ones that hide when children are
being shot.
Can you sponsor me ?
TIA
[]'s
AntennaTV
2018-04-08 21:10:38 UTC
Post by Shadow
They wouldn't let me in. Apparently you have to be a
registered repuglican. You know, the ones that hide when children are
being shot.
Really? Have you reviewed which bunch of fucking snowflakes couldn't and
STILL CAN'T HANDLE the election results?!?!???

YOU SLIMY LIBTURD democRATS! So get ye to thou DSFSP!

Those of us on Republicans are dancing in the streets! And have been
since November 2016!
Shadow
2018-04-09 01:08:37 UTC
<re the snowflake club>
Post by AntennaTV
Post by Shadow
They wouldn't let me in. Apparently you have to be a
registered repuglican. You know, the ones that hide when children are
being shot.
Really? Have you reviewed which bunch of fucking snowflakes couldn't and
STILL CAN'T HANDLE the election results
You mean the Facebook guy ? What's his name ? Dumb Fuckersberg
? No, something like that though.
Yes, he's avoiding the press. But the people that were
deceived by his fake posts will probably forget they elected Putin's
candidate, and go back to reading his #FACENEWS. And believing it.
Not that Hillary would have been much better than Trump but
worse is impossible.

But I was referring to the armed guard that hid while the
children in the school were being shot. The NRA is keeping
mysteriously quiet about that.
Do you reckon he would have passed a mental evaluation ?
[]'s
i***@gmail.com
2018-04-08 21:31:01 UTC
Post by Shadow
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Shadow
Post by i***@gmail.com
"A black Alabama teen turns down 25-year plea deal, gets sentenced to 65 years instead - and laughs"
Your point being that if he was white he would have had the
sentence reduced ?
Simple solution Boyo. When you see the words "black" or "white"
in a subject line, avert your eyes, lace up your politically correct boots real
tight and run as fast as you can to the nearest DSFSP (Designated Snow Flake Safe Place).
They wouldn't let me in. Apparently you have to be a
registered repuglican. You know, the ones that hide when children are
being shot.
You seem a little confused. It was a Democrat Broward County Deputy Sheriff, who
worked for the Democrat Sheriff of Broward County, who hid outside while
those 17 kids and and staff were being shot to death inside that school.

BTW, what have you done to see that, the Democrat Broward County Sheriff
was fired? Because last I heard that Democrat Sheriff was still on the job
and planning to run for office in the Democrat primary.

Irish mike

Very proud not to be a Democrat.
trotsky
And a fake vet/anonyshit on Usenet.
BTR1701
2018-04-08 19:31:55 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
What is the deal with news sites these says that repeat the same blurb
over and over again before getting to the actual story?

Here we have "teen laughed at 25 years, gets 65" no less than *five*
different times before they get to the comments from the D.A.
Rhino
2018-04-08 22:43:30 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
I wonder if this is a racist journalist's way to rub in just how stupid
she thinks Lakeith Smith is? That level of redundancy seems like really
bad editing to me. It's even worse than one of my current pet peeves
where they quote someone's tweet in full, then reproduce it, in full, in
Twitter format right below. For pity's sake, just show it once, not twice!
2018-04-09 04:37:02 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
No, this is a pervasive phenomenon that has emerged on news websites in
the last couple of years regardless of the story's subject matter.

You get the headline, then a sub-headline (which repeats the info in the
headline, just in a smaller font), then usually an embedded video which
you have to act fast to stop blasting a commercial in your face, then
below the video is a summary of the headline (in case you missed it the
first two times), then the actual story finally starts, the first
paragraph of which is usually just a reiteration of the previous three
blurbs.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

Then there's the way many news sites (and newspapers, too), treat every
sentence as a new paragraph. There literally can't be more than one
period per paragraph for a lot of these sites. It's bizarre.

Same with quoting people. If the person says more than two sentences,
the writer can't just provide the entire quote all at once. Each
sentence has to be broken up with a some sort of qualifier, usually for
'drama', as if the function of news reporting is to provide drama.

For example, say today's media attended the Gettysburg Address and
wanted to include a quote from the speech. The proper way to do it would
be to set it off in an indented block of text:

We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to
dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for
those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It
is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a
larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we
can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who
struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to
add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what
we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.

But this how the media of today would write it.

Standing before the crowd, Lincoln intoned gravely, "We are met on a
great battlefield of that war."

He then added, "We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a
final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation
might live."

"It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a
larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not
hallow -- this ground," Lincoln told the crowd huddled against the
November chill.

The president continued, "The brave men, living and dead, who struggled
here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

As the crowd looked solemnly on, Lincoln intoned, "The world will little
note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what
they did here."

Ugh.
Post by Rhino
It's even worse than one of my current pet peeves
where they quote someone's tweet in full, then reproduce it, in full, in
Twitter format right below. For pity's sake, just show it once, not twice!
Yes, that's annoying, too. I'm sure their reason for doing it is so that
people whose browsers block Twitter (like my work computer does), and
therefore won't see the embed, will still see the text of the tweet.
Ed Stasiak
2018-04-09 16:07:23 UTC
Then there's the way many news sites (and newspapers, too),
treat every sentence as a new paragraph. There literally can't
be more than one period per paragraph for a lot of these sites.
It's bizarre.
I’ve noticed this is frequently the case with British news websites
for some reason.
The Horny Goat
2018-04-09 19:57:15 UTC
Post by Rhino
It's even worse than one of my current pet peeves
where they quote someone's tweet in full, then reproduce it, in full, in
Twitter format right below. For pity's sake, just show it once, not twice!
Yes, that's annoying, too. I'm sure their reason for doing it is so that
people whose browsers block Twitter (like my work computer does), and
therefore won't see the embed, will still see the text of the tweet.
I could completely understand that version of Lincoln if it had been a
2 1/2 speech like the speech given just before Lincoln's.

The Gettysberg address is 3 paragraphs long. Most could read it in
under 5 minutes which is a big part of why the speech was so memorable
- cramming so much into such a short space.

Even the Churchill "We shall never surrender" speech was 15-20 minutes
long - but nobody ever remembers anything except the last 30 seconds.