Take Two
Add Reply
Pete
2018-09-14 06:41:58 UTC
I think, if there *is* a take two of Take Two, I probably on
principle will refuse to watch it! That was the most obnoxious
cliffhanger finale I think I've ever seen -- and for a show
that no-one expects to get renewed. Gnahh! (Maybe I should find
some fall show on ABC that I might otherwise watch, and refuse
to watch *that*! Just to show 'em... (:-)))
Adam H. Kerman
2018-09-14 06:59:10 UTC
Post by Pete
I think, if there *is* a take two of Take Two, I probably on
principle will refuse to watch it! That was the most obnoxious
cliffhanger finale I think I've ever seen -- and for a show
that no-one expects to get renewed. Gnahh! (Maybe I should find
some fall show on ABC that I might otherwise watch, and refuse
to watch *that*! Just to show 'em... (:-)))

You're right.

After spending much of the episode with Sam lecturing Eddie about why he
cannot investigate the case of his protectee from three years ago
getting murdered, nobody notices that Christine absolutely cannot
investigate a case involving Eddie either.

How did the magical sharpshooter keep figuring out where Eddie was
taking the person, given that he pulled it off twice? He's a lone
sharpshooter (apparently) but to pull off what we saw, Eddie would have
had to have been followed by a team of people.

Both times, the sharpshooter got above Eddie and the person he was with.
How did he have time to climb a tree? How did he shoot from one office
building into another through two sheets of glass?

At the sharpshooter's apartment, how did the arson investigator
instantly conclude accidental gas leak?

Again, another Brian Markinson episode in which he's given nothing to
do. He's supposed to be massively evil, yet we never see him doing
anything criminal, just Eddie suggesting that he does.

What infuriated me more than anything else: Sam pointed out that she's
had workplace affairs multiple times. They're awkward and end in misery.
That's a good point. Here's a solution: Return to acting. In fact, she
auditions for a role and gets it. It'll restart her career. Later in the
episode, the two of them act like they'll never see each other again if
she takes the part, but it's not like she has to travel and live in
Vancouver to accept the role. They'll still be in the same city and can
see each other as much as they like.

The episode was written by the show's two creators who clearly had no
idea where they were taking the characters.
anim8rfsk
2018-09-14 14:00:57 UTC
Post by Pete
I think, if there *is* a take two of Take Two, I probably on
principle will refuse to watch it! That was the most obnoxious
cliffhanger finale I think I've ever seen -- and for a show
that no-one expects to get renewed. Gnahh! (Maybe I should find
some fall show on ABC that I might otherwise watch, and refuse
to watch *that*! Just to show 'em... (:-)))
You're right.
It harkens back to the original cliffhanger for a show never to be renewed,
Matt Houston.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
After spending much of the episode with Sam lecturing Eddie about why he
cannot investigate the case of his protectee from three years ago
getting murdered, nobody notices that Christine absolutely cannot
investigate a case involving Eddie either.
You know, her being there I'd buy. Her being the ARRESTING OFFICER!? Not so
much.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
How did the magical sharpshooter keep figuring out where Eddie was
taking the person, given that he pulled it off twice? He's a lone
sharpshooter (apparently) but to pull off what we saw, Eddie would have
had to have been followed by a team of people.
Both times, the sharpshooter got above Eddie and the person he was with.
How did he have time to climb a tree? How did he shoot from one office
building into another through two sheets of glass?
Yeah, that one perplexed me a lot more than the shot in the park.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
At the sharpshooter's apartment, how did the arson investigator
instantly conclude accidental gas leak?
Might be a lot of it happening like it used to here.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Again, another Brian Markinson episode in which he's given nothing to
do. He's supposed to be massively evil, yet we never see him doing
anything criminal, just Eddie suggesting that he does.
He's still plotting against Arctic Air.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
What infuriated me more than anything else: Sam pointed out that she's
had workplace affairs multiple times. They're awkward and end in misery.
That's a good point. Here's a solution: Return to acting. In fact, she
auditions for a role and gets it. It'll restart her career. Later in the
episode, the two of them act like they'll never see each other again if
she takes the part, but it's not like she has to travel and live in
Vancouver to accept the role. They'll still be in the same city and can
see each other as much as they like.
There was *so* much wrong with that, so easily fixed. "The movie is going to
take a year to shoot in Nepal. We couldn't get Dichen Lachman."

I tend to doubt that casting people offer you the part on the spot.
Especially since she has, you know, an agent and all.
2018-09-14 17:44:21 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
How did the magical sharpshooter keep figuring out where Eddie was
taking the person, given that he pulled it off twice? He's a lone
sharpshooter (apparently) but to pull off what we saw, Eddie would have
had to have been followed by a team of people.
Both times, the sharpshooter got above Eddie and the person he was with.
How did he have time to climb a tree? How did he shoot from one office
building into another through two sheets of glass?
Yeah, that one perplexed me a lot more than the shot in the park.
Eddie and the protectee are followed into the park. There's just know
way that the sharpshooter would have taken a chance shooter her from
above. He'd have been noticed climbing the tree.

A good sniper finds a blind location to shoot from. There's no such
thing as on-the-fly sniping for an assasination. They'd have stabbed her
or shot her from close range, given the park scenario.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Again, another Brian Markinson episode in which he's given nothing to
do. He's supposed to be massively evil, yet we never see him doing
anything criminal, just Eddie suggesting that he does.
He's still plotting against Arctic Air.
Hehehehehe
What infuriated me more than anything else: Sam pointed out that she's
had workplace affairs multiple times. They're awkward and end in misery.
That's a good point. Here's a solution: Return to acting. In fact, she
auditions for a role and gets it. It'll restart her career. Later in the
episode, the two of them act like they'll never see each other again if
she takes the part, but it's not like she has to travel and live in
Vancouver to accept the role. They'll still be in the same city and can
see each other as much as they like.
There was *so* much wrong with that, so easily fixed. "The movie is going to
take a year to shoot in Nepal. We couldn't get Dichen Lachman."
I tend to doubt that casting people offer you the part on the spot.
Especially since she has, you know, an agent and all.
Not to mention... They were so nice to her! From stories you've told and
what we've all heard about Hollywood casting, they're absolute shits.

They cannot just hire someone like Sam on the fly. She destroyed her
reputation AND she's not necessarily sober. That means the production
cannot buy insurance for her unless she agrees to lots of medical spot
tests and possibly medical supervision. All that has to be negotiated
and approved.

Everybody would be thinking Barrymores and Robert Downey Jr. They'd want
her blood and urine repeatedly.
Rhino
2018-09-14 20:32:55 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
I think you guys are taking the show way too seriously. I don't think
they really intended to satisfy people who want to see realistic
detective work. (Or they've failed miserably if they did.) This show is
all about the romances between Sam and Eddie and Berto and the other
assistant. (They never seem to say her name so I find myself forgetting
it.) If you look at it as a combination of romance and eye candy - Eddie
Cibrian for the ladies (and gays?) and Rachel Bilson for the guys (and
lesbians?) and leave it at that, it's watchable enough.
2018-09-14 20:48:53 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
Monica. But, yeah, when they said 'Sydney' this week I thought they meant
her.
2018-09-14 21:06:25 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
I'm willing to enjoy a light drama with a bit of romance and comedy
thrown in. It failed to be entertaining on all levels.
Post by Rhino
This show is all about the romances between Sam and Eddie and Berto and
the other assistant. (They never seem to say her name so I find myself
forgetting it.) If you look at it as a combination of romance and eye
candy - Eddie Cibrian for the ladies (and gays?) and Rachel Bilson for
the guys (and lesbians?) and leave it at that, it's watchable enough.
Oddly, they don't do a lot with Rachel Bilson and potential cheesecake.
I noticed in the supposed sex scenes she had in the most recent episode,
when she was partially unclothed, she was well in the background, or
Eddie was standing in front of her. It's not like she was doing a nude
scene with arms or objects hiding her breasts as she was always shown in
lingerie... behind Eddie.
anim8rfsk
2018-09-14 21:27:19 UTC
Post by Rhino
This show is all about the romances between Sam and Eddie and Berto and
the other assistant. (They never seem to say her name so I find myself
forgetting it.) If you look at it as a combination of romance and eye
candy - Eddie Cibrian for the ladies (and gays?) and Rachel Bilson for
the guys (and lesbians?) and leave it at that, it's watchable enough.
Oddly, they don't do a lot with Rachel Bilson and potential cheesecake.
I noticed in the supposed sex scenes she had in the most recent episode,
when she was partially unclothed, she was well in the background, or
Eddie was standing in front of her. It's not like she was doing a nude
scene with arms or objects hiding her breasts as she was always shown in
lingerie... behind Eddie.
I'm guessing that her days of jumping across cars to get Magnum ice cream are
behind her.

BTW, there is a LOT of excellent cheesecake of Alice Lee (Monica) although I
think there must be several different Alice Lees doing it ...
2018-09-14 21:34:15 UTC
Post by Rhino
This show is all about the romances between Sam and Eddie and Berto and
the other assistant. (They never seem to say her name so I find myself
forgetting it.) If you look at it as a combination of romance and eye
candy - Eddie Cibrian for the ladies (and gays?) and Rachel Bilson for
the guys (and lesbians?) and leave it at that, it's watchable enough.
Oddly, they don't do a lot with Rachel Bilson and potential cheesecake.
I noticed in the supposed sex scenes she had in the most recent episode,
when she was partially unclothed, she was well in the background, or
Eddie was standing in front of her. It's not like she was doing a nude
scene with arms or objects hiding her breasts as she was always shown in
lingerie... behind Eddie.
I'm guessing that her days of jumping across cars to get Magnum ice cream are
behind her.
Her bikini shots still show up in tabloids. Even in lingerie, one can
see she hasn't put on any weight.
I think I know what you mean.
m***@gmail.com
2018-09-16 05:05:47 UTC
Markinson WAS seen planting the gun in Eddie's apartment. He also seemed to know way too soon about the role offered to Sam, so I am guessing that this was part of the plot to keep them apart (very similar to the frame job on Angie in the season 3 (yes 3!) finale of Private Eyes.) (Don't get me started on THAT one - "season 2" split into two 9-episodes halves aired exactly a year apart and on the exact schedule as season 1...)
anim8rfsk
2018-09-16 06:24:38 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Markinson WAS seen planting the gun in Eddie's apartment. He also seemed to
know way too soon about the role offered to Sam, so I am guessing that this
was part of the plot to keep them apart (very similar to the frame job on
Angie in the season 3 (yes 3!) finale of Private Eyes.) (Don't get me started
on THAT one - "season 2" split into two 9-episodes halves aired exactly a
year apart and on the exact schedule as season 1...)
Yeah, that's an excellent point, this really did follow Private Eyes lead
there, didn't it?
2018-09-16 15:09:19 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Markinson WAS seen planting the gun in Eddie's apartment. He also seemed to
know way too soon about the role offered to Sam, so I am guessing that this
was part of the plot to keep them apart (very similar to the frame job on
Angie in the season 3 (yes 3!) finale of Private Eyes.) (Don't get me started
on THAT one - "season 2" split into two 9-episodes halves aired exactly a
year apart and on the exact schedule as season 1...)
Yeah, that's an excellent point, this really did follow Private Eyes lead
there, didn't it?
anim, please don't encourage this asshole's behavior. There's no excuse
for spoiling an unrelated tv show in a Take Two episode discussion.
anim8rfsk
2018-09-16 15:36:36 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Markinson WAS seen planting the gun in Eddie's apartment. He also seemed to
know way too soon about the role offered to Sam, so I am guessing that this
was part of the plot to keep them apart (very similar to the frame job on
Angie in the season 3 (yes 3!) finale of Private Eyes.) (Don't get me started
on THAT one - "season 2" split into two 9-episodes halves aired exactly a
year apart and on the exact schedule as season 1...)
Yeah, that's an excellent point, this really did follow Private Eyes lead
there, didn't it?
anim, please don't encourage this asshole's behavior. There's no excuse
for spoiling an unrelated tv show in a Take Two episode discussion.
I apologized upstream. :(
2018-09-16 15:08:11 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Markinson WAS seen planting the gun in Eddie's apartment. He also seemed
to know way too soon about the role offered to Sam, so I am guessing
that this was part of the plot to keep them apart (very similar to the
frame job on Angie in the season 3 (yes 3!) finale of Private Eyes.)
(Don't get me started on THAT one - "season 2" split into two 9-episodes
halves aired exactly a year apart and on the exact schedule as season
1...)
As all you shitheads know, I haven't seen that episode of Private Eyes,
as I'm watching it on Ion which is months behind Canadian broadcast.

If you want to fucking discuss Private Eyes, START A SEPARATE THREAD,
NAMING THE EPISODE YOU ARE DISCUSSING. DO NOT DISCUSS ONE PROGRAM IN A
THREAD ABOUT ANOTHER PROGRAM.

God damn you, you fucking asshole.
anim8rfsk
2018-09-16 15:36:15 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Markinson WAS seen planting the gun in Eddie's apartment. He also seemed
to know way too soon about the role offered to Sam, so I am guessing
that this was part of the plot to keep them apart (very similar to the
frame job on Angie in the season 3 (yes 3!) finale of Private Eyes.)
(Don't get me started on THAT one - "season 2" split into two 9-episodes
halves aired exactly a year apart and on the exact schedule as season
1...)
As all you shitheads know, I haven't seen that episode of Private Eyes,
as I'm watching it on Ion which is months behind Canadian broadcast.
If you want to fucking discuss Private Eyes, START A SEPARATE THREAD,
NAMING THE EPISODE YOU ARE DISCUSSING. DO NOT DISCUSS ONE PROGRAM IN A
THREAD ABOUT ANOTHER PROGRAM.
God damn you, you fucking asshole.
And I quoted it in my reply, having completely forgotten about the Ion delay.
Sorry about that.
m***@gmail.com
ION FINISHED SEASON (3) OF PRIVATE EYES A FEW WEEKS BACK AND HAS GONE BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF SEASON 2
Adam H. Kerman
2018-09-17 05:35:06 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
No, you fucking asshole, it did not. Ion has never aired any Season 3
episodes. It aired a portion of season 2, holding the remainder till
later.

I'm discussing a specific episode of Take Two in this thread. If you
want to discuss a specific episode of Private Eyes, then start a
separate thread. Do not discuss an episode of Private Eyes in a thread
about another show.

Is not spoiling something for other people on Usenet really too big a
concept for you to grasp?
Ian J. Ball
2018-09-17 13:36:24 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
Aren't you talking to a stinky Seamus sock?

One of his MOS's is "spoiler".
2018-09-17 16:36:20 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Markinson WAS seen planting the gun in Eddie's apartment. He also seemed to know way too soon about the role offered to Sam, so I am guessing that this was part of the plot to keep them apart (very similar to the frame job on Angie in the season 3 (yes 3!) finale of Private Eyes.) (Don't get me started on THAT one - "season 2" split into two 9-episodes halves aired exactly a year apart and on the exact schedule as season 1...)
You seem to be trying to have it both ways: declaring the frame on Angie
to be the season 3 finale but also acknowledging that the episode in
question was the last episode of season 2.

For what it's worth, the originating network, Global TV here in Canada,
announced a few months back that Season 3, consisting of 12 episodes,
had been ordered and will air in 2019 so THEIR view is that there have
only been two seasons so far.
m***@gmail.com
That's right. "Season 2" is 18 episodes. But they aired as 2 batches of 9 a year apart, so I am calling the "second half" of season 2 season 3... It's the same nonsense SyFy pulled on Farscape years ago.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-09-18 01:53:26 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Rhino
You seem to be trying to have it both ways: declaring the frame on Angie
to be the season 3 finale but also acknowledging that the episode in
question was the last episode of season 2.
For what it's worth, the originating network, Global TV here in Canada,
announced a few months back that Season 3, consisting of 12 episodes,
had been ordered and will air in 2019 so THEIR view is that there have
only been two seasons so far.
That's right. "Season 2" is 18 episodes. But they aired as 2 batches of
9 a year apart, so I am calling the "second half" of season 2 season
3... It's the same nonsense SyFy pulled on Farscape years ago.
What part of "Don't discuss Private Eyes in a thread about a specific
episode of Take Two" is unclear to you?

Is there something about the Subject and the article both being about
the same thing that cannot penetrate that thick skull of yours?

You're an enormous asshole. Start a separate thread. Stop being a
shithead.
Rhino
2018-09-18 18:14:23 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Rhino
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
So you ARE trying to have it both ways. Okay, good to know.

You realize you are just confusing things by using your own numbering
scheme separate from the one that everyone else uses? By your logic,
Suits is now near the end of its 15 season or thereabouts since they've
been splitting their seasons into two parts since season 2 or
thereabouts. Just try talking about Suits season 15 in a thread and see
how that goes....

Look, I don't care how you number seasons for your own purposes but if
you deliberately choose a non-standard numbering in your discussions
here, you're just causing confusion for everyone else and that's
counterproductive.
2018-09-18 01:55:13 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
Please do not encourage this shithead, who is simply determined to ruin
another show for me by discussing it in an unrelated thread.

If a thread is about a specific episode of one show, please do not
discuss anything else. If you want to start an unrelated discussion,
start a separate thread.
Rhino
2018-09-20 18:13:39 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
[...]
It's like being on a date with Ian.
2018-09-16 07:16:57 UTC
Post by Pete
[...]
Yikes - for once, I can't argue with an "Adam rant"!

But, yeah, this finale was a mess, and your review is pretty much *spot on*.

A much better cliffhanger would simply have been Sam taking the acting
job, and Eddie trying to figure out what to do without her...

Ian (Worst of all, this episode was a waste of Emily Rose... :/ )
2018-09-16 11:39:12 UTC
Post by Pete
[...]
I don't know if this series is going to be picked up for s2, but my
wife and I cancelled the season pass anyway. (There's a big button
onscreen that says CANCEL SERIES. Oh, if only I could.) This finale
was a remarkably stupid hour of television.

I liked the actor who played Eddie, and I hope he gets a gig that's
more worthy of his talents soon.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-09-16 15:19:42 UTC
I don't know if this series is going to be picked up for s2, but my
wife and I cancelled the season pass anyway. (There's a big button
onscreen that says CANCEL SERIES. Oh, if only I could.) This finale
was a remarkably stupid hour of television.
It's an extra option package. For a very special extra monthly fee, you
can subscribe to CANCEL SERIES AND PUT A HIT ON THE WRITERS AND PRODUCERS.
EGK
2018-09-16 15:58:28 UTC
I don't know if this series is going to be picked up for s2, but my
wife and I cancelled the season pass anyway. (There's a big button
onscreen that says CANCEL SERIES. Oh, if only I could.) This finale
was a remarkably stupid hour of television.
It's an extra option package. For a very special extra monthly fee, you
can subscribe to CANCEL SERIES AND PUT A HIT ON THE WRITERS AND PRODUCERS.
hah. It does make you feel like doing that when you just know a show is
likely canceled and STILL the damned writers and producers end them on
cliffhangers. It's as if they think ending the show like that will spur
the powers that be in to renewing them.
I liked the actor who played Eddie, and I hope he gets a gig that's
more worthy of his talents soon.
I liked him too but I did kind of cringe when he was doing his macho act
with the hit-man tied to a chair. Did they even bother to mention him
again? If so, I missed it.
A Friend
2018-09-16 19:10:03 UTC
Post by EGK
I don't know if this series is going to be picked up for s2, but my
wife and I cancelled the season pass anyway. (There's a big button
onscreen that says CANCEL SERIES. Oh, if only I could.) This finale
was a remarkably stupid hour of television.
It's an extra option package. For a very special extra monthly fee, you
can subscribe to CANCEL SERIES AND PUT A HIT ON THE WRITERS AND PRODUCERS.
hah. It does make you feel like doing that when you just know a show is
likely canceled and STILL the damned writers and producers end them on
cliffhangers. It's as if they think ending the show like that will spur
the powers that be in to renewing them.
You might think you're kidding, but here's LUCIFER showrunner Joe
Henderson last May:

"We created a season finale with a huge cliffhanger so that there was
no way Fox could cancel us. Instead, we're going to frustrate the hell
out of you fans. I'm so sorry for that. By the way, the Lucifer finale
is the best hour of television I've been lucky to write. It wraps up
everything from the season. But what it teases for season 4... well,
maybe, just maybe, we can #SaveLucifer and show you."

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2418812/lucifer-showrunner-opens-
up-about-cancellation-and-why-fans-will-be-disappointed-with-the-finale
EGK
2018-09-16 19:15:05 UTC
Post by EGK
[...]
I was only half kidding. I think I read that before about Lucifer but have
seen similar comments from showrunners before. it seems to be getting
quite common even for low-rated shows to do that.
anim8rfsk
2018-09-16 20:26:55 UTC
[...]
And what's worse, it worked.
2018-09-16 20:40:56 UTC
[...]
This would not be an issue if network programming executives gave a damn
about the audience. This would not be an issue if producers understood
that networks don't give a damn about the audience. Maybe producers
could think about the audience and how not to disappoint them, but they
don't do that either. Maybe studios could think to themselves: This
property could be more valuable over the long run if we don't disappoint
the audience.

No one in the audience ever has said, Please disappoint us. We're
begging you to end the season on an unresolved cliffhanger, especially
given that we're not expecting the show to be renewed.

I've used this example before: The most egregious example ever was The
Dead Zone. They got renewed SPECIFICALLY to wrap things up. It was based
on a novel but most of the novel hadn't been incorporated into the
series, perhaps saving those portions of the plot to resolve things.

In the final series, several regular characters were dropped and even
recurring characters NEEDED TO RESOLVE THE NOVEL'S PLOT were dropped.
The lead character was entirely changed. Then, after teasing us part of
the season with regular use of a recurring character from the novel and
adapting some of the novel's plot, it still ended on a cliffhanger.

The remaining audience was driven away and no one wanted it renewed.

Dexter not dying in the end is close but still not at this level of
notoriety.
anim8rfsk
2018-09-17 01:16:08 UTC
Take Two "One to the Heart" (no spoilers)
September 16, 2018 at 1:40:56 PM MST
[...]
Freddy Freiberger disagrees.

I'd do it, too, even if it would derail my Supreme Court nomination.
anim8rfsk
2018-09-16 15:31:49 UTC
Post by Pete
[...]
And it wasn't even their worst episode! (that was the alien abduction one)
2018-09-16 15:17:09 UTC
Post by Pete
[...]
Then you don't agree with my biggest objection, that there was no reason
to show that our characters were no longer romantic if Sam resumed
acting. Since when do they have to work together to sleep together?

The writers were treating the possibility of no longer working together
as it would make it impossible for them to see each other ever, despite
both working in the same city.
Yes.
EGK
2018-09-16 15:59:49 UTC
Post by Pete
[...]
She'd probably get even more "street cred" as an actress showing up on the
red carpet with her private-eye boyfriend.
EGK
2018-09-16 15:55:22 UTC
Post by Pete
[...]
Adam's rant is exactly why many of us tend to avoid the "WDYW" threads.
Spoilers are all over the place for various shows.

I think those threads actually limit discussion but it seems to be what most
want so whatever. I know I can't be bothered to go back and scour through
them to see if someone discussed a show I just finished watching a few days
after it aired. It might be discussed on any day of the week.