Orphan Black Series Finale
EGK
2017-08-13 03:17:24 UTC
No spoilers

I confess I didn't always follow what was going on in Orphan Black. I think
it got too convoluted and the writers didn't seem like they knew where it
was going either. This series finale brought it all home.

I often feel TV shows and movies tend to end too abruptly once the
denouement happens. I really appreciated seeing more of the aftermath. Most
shows would have ended with the bad guy dispatched and a fade to black.
Orphan black didn't stop there. Watching the rest put a huge punctuation
on Maslany's performance. Great finale.
Robin Miller
2017-08-13 04:32:58 UTC
Post by EGK
No spoilers
I confess I didn't always follow what was going on in Orphan Black. I think
it got too convoluted and the writers didn't seem like they knew where it
was going either. This series finale brought it all home.
I often feel TV shows and movies tend to end too abruptly once the
denouement happens. I really appreciated seeing more of the aftermath. Most
shows would have ended with the bad guy dispatched and a fade to black.
Orphan black didn't stop there. Watching the rest put a huge punctuation
on Maslany's performance. Great finale.
Yes, it was nice. Let us down gently after the action, let us see how
their lives developed a little bit, tied up the loose ends (well,
Rachel), and had a great dance sequence after the credits. The time and
technical precision it must have taken to put together that scene near
the end of all the clones talking in the party space ...

--Robin
Robin Miller
2017-08-13 05:08:33 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
[...]
This is apparently from the end of filming:

https://www.facebook.com/orphanblacktv/videos/1371410942894427/

--Robin
Robin Miller
2017-08-13 05:29:50 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
[...]
Confirmed from the end of filming, and more from Tat:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/12/tatiana-maslany-orphan-black-series-finale/

--Robin
Robin Miller
2017-08-13 05:33:20 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Post by Robin Miller
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
[...]
And an interview with one of the creators:

http://deadline.com/2017/08/orphan-black-series-finale-spoilers-clone-club-tatiana-maslany-john-fawcett-bbc-america-1202147260/

--Robin
icebreaker
2017-08-13 15:44:37 UTC
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 00:32:58 -0400, Robin Miller
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
[...]
Anytime all the Clones are together is special. I really thought the
final was terrific. The last scene filmed was the one with Sarah, Art,
and Helena giving birth. They used the emotion of the show ending to
help with that scene. The showrunner said she couldn't imagine Maslany
having to stay in that emotional state for so long. At one point there
was nose bleeding and snot apparently from the crying. She's from a
school of acting where she immerses in the character. It's apparent.
She did a wonderful job that wasn't as recognized by the industry as
it should have been.

---
http://www.avg.com
EGK
2017-08-13 15:55:38 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
[...]
I really hope Orphan black propels Maslany to stardom in other things. It
was a niche show but her performance(s) were so good she certainly proved
she can do a variety of characters.

One of Robin's links with the creators touched on a possible movie reunion.
I don't know where they'd go with it in a movie but I'd watch.
Robin Miller
2017-08-13 16:07:50 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Post by EGK
[...]
She did win the Emmy last year. But in general, yes, sci fi and other
genre shows seem to be devalued.

--Robin
Adam H. Kerman
2017-08-18 21:21:40 UTC
Post by EGK
No spoilers
Spoilers!

Post by EGK
I confess I didn't always follow what was going on in Orphan Black. I think
it got too convoluted and the writers didn't seem like they knew where it
was going either. This series finale brought it all home.
I often feel TV shows and movies tend to end too abruptly once the
denouement happens. I really appreciated seeing more of the aftermath. Most
shows would have ended with the bad guy dispatched and a fade to black.
Orphan black didn't stop there. Watching the rest put a huge punctuation
on Maslany's performance. Great finale.
I agree.

I thought that season 5 was mostly good, actually greatly improved over
previous seasons in which the Neolutionists were fighting the religious
idiots and I neither understood nor cared what their connection was with
whoever it was behind the scenes.

I'm sorry, but I found the idea that P.T. Westmorland could put together
a vast conspiracy just based on anyone else wanting to die so that
Westmorland's life could be extended to be ridiculous. He was a very
disappointing villain. Way back in season 1 I thought it was going to be
a pharmecuitical experimentation into creating genetic anomolies that
could be managed as chronic conditions but never cured, but that really
ended up not being the case. I thought that sterile Ledas and Cosima's
cancer were means to controlling the genetic future of humanity, but
they were unintended side effects.

That aside, I enjoyed most everything else.

I really felt for Sarah. She's so very lost. She's really not going to
change, but she still has the ability to draw from an amazing source
of strength to fight for her sestras and her daughter. Her ending showed
a real strength of writing, perfectly in character that she couldn't
go into the classroom to take her G.E.D. (or whatever it's called in Canada).
I'm glad she and Felix decided to stay in Mrs. S's house (or does Felix
still have the loft).

Helena showed the most growth among the sestras. That was fine. They
didn't all have to "grow" according to a tv schedule. I could have sworn
the she was implanted with more than two embryos, so twin boys surprised me.

Delphine almost cheated on Cosima with another sestra, hahahaha.

Thank goodness that evil Beth was not brought into the fold. There's
no way to forgive most of what she was responsible for. Good writing
on that as well.

I'll miss my weekly appointment with multiple Tatiana Maslany's. She
entirely carried the show with her acting tour de force. These were all
separate fully developed characters. There won't be anything like this
on television ever again. Best Canadian drama ever.
BTR1701
2017-08-18 22:26:09 UTC
Thank goodness that evil Beth was not brought into the fold.
Are you talking about Rachel? Beth Childs was the first sestra that stepped
in front of the train.
She truly has an amazing talent.
BTR1701
2017-08-18 22:40:39 UTC
I'll miss my weekly appointment with multiple Tatiana Maslany's. She
entirely carried the show with her acting tour de force. These were all
separate fully developed characters.
If you want a little more ORPHAN BLACK, there's apparently a graphic novel
written by the show's creators that tells the story of the mysterious
Helsinki (as in Helsinki, Sweden) massacre, where six self-aware Leda
clones were rounded up and executed.

https://www.amazon.com/Orphan-Black-Helsinki-Graeme-Manson/dp/1631405837/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1503095792&sr=8-1
Adam H. Kerman
BTR1701
2017-08-21 19:36:20 UTC
I'll miss my weekly appointment with multiple Tatiana Maslany's. She
entirely carried the show with her acting tour de force.
Just found out about a bit of OB trivia: the producers were originally
set to cast Ellen Page (INCEPTION, X-MEN, JUNO, etc.) in the role of the
sestra clones but she bowed out due to scheduling conflicts so they went
with their second choice-- Maslany.
Adam H. Kerman
2017-08-21 19:49:42 UTC
Just found out about a bit of OB trivia: the producers were originally
set to cast Ellen Page (INCEPTION, X-MEN, JUNO, etc.) in the role of the
sestra clones but she bowed out due to scheduling conflicts so they went
with their second choice-- Maslany.
Wow. She can certainly act, but five years ago, did they have the budget
for someone that well known?

How fortunate for Miss Maslany. I hope she has continuing success in
her career and gets offered roles that will continue to challenge her.

[Ellen Page did a couple of the X-Men movies.]

Hah! Ellen Page and Kate Mara did a short in 2014 to spoof True Detective:
Tiny Detectives

I'll have to track that down.
EGK
2017-08-21 20:06:59 UTC
Just found out about a bit of OB trivia: the producers were originally
set to cast Ellen Page (INCEPTION, X-MEN, JUNO, etc.) in the role of the
sestra clones but she bowed out due to scheduling conflicts so they went
with their second choice-- Maslany.
Wow. She can certainly act, but five years ago, did they have the budget
for someone that well known?
How fortunate for Miss Maslany. I hope she has continuing success in
her career and gets offered roles that will continue to challenge her.
[Ellen Page did a couple of the X-Men movies.]
Tiny Detectives
I'll have to track that down.
I like Ellen Page well enough but I think Orphan Black benefited a lot by
casting a lesser known actress like Maslany. Too often in roles like that,
people are watching the actor not the character. I'd never seen Maslany in
anything before so that helped (along with her great acting) in suspending
disbelief that the clones were all different.

Side note. I recently started watching Trailer Park Boys on Netflix. It's
amusing seeing a young Ellen Page in that. She played Treena, the daughter
of the trailer park supervisor, Jim Lahey.
BTR1701
2017-08-21 20:43:24 UTC
Just found out about a bit of OB trivia: the producers were originally
set to cast Ellen Page (INCEPTION, X-MEN, JUNO, etc.) in the role of the
sestra clones but she bowed out due to scheduling conflicts so they went
with their second choice-- Maslany.
Wow. She can certainly act, but five years ago, did they have the budget
for someone that well known?
How fortunate for Miss Maslany. I hope she has continuing success in
her career and gets offered roles that will continue to challenge her.
[Ellen Page did a couple of the X-Men movies.]
Hah! Ellen Page and Kate Mara did a short in 2014 to spoof True
Detective: Tiny Detectives
I'll have to track that down.
Another bit of OB trivia: Sarah Manning was originally written as an
American but BBC America wanted one of the clones to be a Brit (and
Rachel was still down the road, plotwise), so Sarah was given a British
accent.
Adam H. Kerman
2017-08-21 20:50:11 UTC
[...]
Good. I wonder if any of Mrs. S's involvement in hiding Sarah from the
religious fanatics and being part of a secret network was thunk up in
the beginning. I assume not.

I don't recall that any of the sestras were American; maybe one of
the one-off clones.

The only criticism I have is that they never flat out said it was Toronto,
even though the locations being used were all obviously Toronto. At
least Continuum had the guts to state it was Vancouver. I want Canadian
television to take a bit of pride in their locations. On those occassions
when they do something special, taking a bow really is in order.
suzeeq
2017-08-21 21:08:39 UTC
[...]
Cosima was I think. She grew up in California, went to university there
and then to U of Minnesota. See -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Orphan_Black_characters#Clones and
scroll down to her entry.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The only criticism I have is that they never flat out said it was Toronto,
even though the locations being used were all obviously Toronto. At
least Continuum had the guts to state it was Vancouver. I want Canadian
television to take a bit of pride in their locations. On those occassions
when they do something special, taking a bow really is in order.
Yep they deserve it. I think if you were quick you could spot an Ontario
license plate.
BTR1701
2017-08-21 21:12:54 UTC
[...]
In season 5, Felix specifically stated they were in Canadia, but didn't
specify the city.

But it was apparent from details such as cars with Ontario licence
plates, Beth's and Mrs. S's Ontario driving licences, the currency that
was used, scripted references to the Toronto suburbs of Scarborough,
Ontario, and to Parkdale, and a plane ticket in the pilot episode
identifying Toronto Pearson International Airport.
Adam H. Kerman
2017-08-21 22:06:52 UTC
[...]
Not to mention Toronto Union Station in the pilot, at which Sarah
witnessed Beth's suicide and stole her identity.
anim8rfsk
2017-08-21 21:29:34 UTC
[...]
So you want them to claim that the great Kansas seaport of Smallville is
really in Canadia?