Eliza Dushku talks being assaulted during "True Lies" filming
Add Reply
David
2018-01-13 18:33:34 UTC
https://www.avclub.com/eliza-dushku-accuses-true-lies-stunt-coordinator-joel-k-1822054370

Eliza Dushku accuses True Lies stunt coordinator Joel Kramer of
sexually assaulting her when she was 12 years old
by William Hughes

Eliza Dushku has accused a well-known and prolific Hollywood stunt
coordinator of sexually assaulting her during the filming of True
Lies, when the Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Dollhouse actress was only
12 years old. Dushku posted a lengthy essay on Facebook last night,
opening up about an incident from 25 years ago in which she says Joel
Kramer—whose recent credits include high-profile projects like Blade
Runner 2049, Star Trek: Discovery, and Westworld—first earned her and
her family’s trust during her time on the Arnold Schwarzenegger action
vehicle, and then abused it by luring her to a hotel room in the guise
of letting her swim at the facility’s pool.
anim8rfsk
EGK
2018-01-13 19:32:49 UTC
Post by David
[...]
More and more it seems like everyone in Hollywood is an abuser, a victim or
an enabler who knew but kept quiet about it. Where the fuck were her
parents? They let a 12yr old go to an adult's hotel room alone? I don't
care that he groomed them too to gain their trust. As soon as she told
them what happened, I would have pulled her from the movie and gone to the
cops and the press.
trotsky
2018-01-13 20:08:20 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by David
[...]
I'd have to read her account. So far it has more plot holes than most
movies.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-13 23:13:12 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by David
[...]
Her Facebook article details it. His hotel had a swimming pool for the
stunt people, that *that's* where he was supposed to be taking her.

Here's her original post, in full:

Eliza Dushku
13 hrs ·

When I was 12 years old, while filming ³True Lies², I was sexually
molested by Joel Kramer, one of Hollywood¹s leading stunt coordinators.

Ever since, I have struggled with how and when to disclose this, if
ever. At the time, I shared what happened to me with my parents, two
adult friends and one of my older brothers. No one seemed ready to
confront this taboo subject then, nor was I.

I am grateful to the women and men who have gone before me in recent
months. The ever-growing list of sexual abuse and harassment victims who
have spoken out with their truths have finally given me the ability to
speak out. It has been indescribably exhausting, bottling this up inside
me for all of these years.

I remember, so clearly 25 years later, how Joel Kramer made me feel
special, how he methodically built my and my parents¹ trust, for months
grooming me; exactly how he lured me to his Miami hotel room with a
promise to my parent that he would take me for a swim at the stunt
crew¹s hotel pool and for my first sushi meal thereafter. I remember
vividly how he methodically drew the shades and turned down the lights;
how he cranked up the air-conditioning to what felt like freezing
levels, where exactly he placed me on one of the two hotel room beds,
what movie he put on the television (Coneheads); how he disappeared in
the bathroom and emerged, naked, bearing nothing but a small hand towel
held flimsy at his mid-section. I remember what I was wearing (my
favorite white denim shorts, thankfully, secured enough for me to keep
on). I remember how he laid me down on the bed, wrapped me with his
gigantic writhing body, and rubbed all over me. He spoke these words:
³You¹re not going to sleep on me now sweetie, stop pretending you¹re
sleeping,² as he rubbed harder and faster against my catatonic body.
When he was Œfinished¹, he suggested, ³I think we should be carefulŠ,²
[about telling anyone] he meant. I was 12, he was 36.

I remember how afterwards, the taxi driver stared at me in the rear view
mirror when Joel Kramer put me on his lap in the backseat and clutched
me and grew aroused again; and how my eyes never left the driver¹s eyes
during that long ride over a Miami bridge, back to my hotel and parent.
I remember how Joel Kramer grew cold with me in the ensuing weeks, how
everything felt different on the set.

And I remember how soon-after, when my tough adult female friend (in
whom I had confided my terrible secret on the condition of a trade that
she let me drive her car around the Hollywood Hills) came out to the set
to visit and face him, later that very same day, by no small
coincidence, I was injured from a stunt-gone-wrong on the Harrier jet.
With broken ribs, I spent the evening in the hospital. To be clear, over
the course of those months rehearsing and filming True Lies, it was Joel
Kramer who was responsible for my safety on a film that at the time
broke new ground for action films. On a daily basis he rigged wires and
harnesses on my 12 year old body. My life was literally in his hands: he
hung me in the open air, from a tower crane, atop an office tower, 25+
stories high. Whereas he was supposed to be my protector, he was my
abuser.

Why speak out now? I was 12, he was 36. It is incomprehensible. Why
didn¹t an adult on the set find his predatory advances strange ‹ that
over-the-top special attention he gave me. Fairly early on he nicknamed
me ³Jailbait² and brazenly called me by this name in a sick flirty way
in front of others (at the time, I remember asking one of my older
brothers what it meant). Sure, I¹ve come to understand the terrible
power dynamics that play into whistle-blowing by ³subordinates² against
persons in power, how difficult it can be for someone to speak up. But I
was a child. Over the years I¹ve really struggled as I¹ve wondered how
my life might have been different if someone, any one grown-up who
witnessed his sick ways, had spoken up before he lured me to that hotel
room.

Years ago, I had heard second hand that Joel Kramer was ³found out² and
forced to leave the business. I learned recently that in fact he still
works at the top of the industry. And a few weeks ago, I found an
internet photo of Joel Kramer hugging a young girl. That image has
haunted me near nonstop since. I can no longer hide what happened.

Hollywood has been very good to me in many ways. Nevertheless, Hollywood
also failed to protect me, a child actress. I like to think of myself as
a tough Boston chick, in many ways I suppose not unlike Faith, Missy, or
Echo. Through the years, brave fans have regularly shared with me how
some of my characters have given them the conviction to stand up to
their abusers. Now it is you who give me strength and conviction. I hope
that speaking out will help other victims and protect against future
abuse.

With every person that speaks out, every banner that drops down onto my
iphone screen disclosing similar stories/truths, my resolve strengthens.
Sharing these words, finally calling my abuser out publicly by name,
brings the start of a new calm.

Eliza Dushku
2018-01-13 23:53:11 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by David
[...]
Thanks for posting that. I get how she was traumatized by it and
unwilling to come forward with all the information. I get how the mom
might be somewhat afraid of Kramer. I don't get why she let her
daughter take a cab ride to the guy's hotel room alone and her
daughter was supposed to go out to a special dinner with Kramer after
swimming. Alone. With a 36 year old man that was of no relation to her
and whom the family had only known for at most a few months in a work
relationship.

That boggles my mind and yet this isn't the only report of such
decisions being made out in Hollywood where it seems it's been normal
to let under age kids go off alone to hang out for hours with adults.
BTR1701
2018-01-14 00:41:45 UTC
Thanks for posting that. I get how she was traumatized by it and
unwilling to come forward with all the information. I get how the mom
might be somewhat afraid of Kramer. I don't get why she let her
daughter take a cab ride to the guy's hotel room alone and her
daughter was supposed to go out to a special dinner with Kramer after
swimming. Alone. With a 36 year old man that was of no relation to her
and whom the family had only known for at most a few months in a work
relationship.
That boggles my mind and yet this isn't the only report of such
decisions being made out in Hollywood where it seems it's been normal
to let under age kids go off alone to hang out for hours with adults.
]
Her mother is kind of a hippy-dippy type who basically had a hands-off
approach to her kids much of the time.

From an interview with Eliza in Golf Digest:

Q: Give me your best travel advice.

A: We were raised to land in any country in the world and
navigate around as if we were going to live there for a month.
We never went to resorts or by way of super planning. My mother
sent my brother and me to China for 40 days with $1000 each and
a Lonely Planet guide book, I was 14 and he was 18, and we found
our way. We didn't have hotels booked or our trains booked and we
went up to inner-Mongolia. It's the exploration and the unknown.
Again, Lonely Planet, I'm a big advocate because they include
safety precautions. You have to use your head, but if you know the
rules and the red zones, you can navigate and have an unbelievable
time.

If her mother was willing to send her 14-year-old off to China and
Mongolia basically unsupervised, the idea that she'd let her go off to a
Miami hotel pool party with some crew members isn't hard to believe.
trotsky
2018-01-14 10:31:01 UTC
Is that because you think Attila the Hun is still alive?
Jim G.
2018-01-15 18:50:00 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by David
[...]
Yep.
Post by shawn
That boggles my mind and yet this isn't the only report of such
decisions being made out in Hollywood where it seems it's been normal
to let under age kids go off alone to hang out for hours with adults.
"'Bye, honey. Enjoy your evening alone with a man that I'm afraid of."
"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE
anim8rfsk
2018-01-15 20:01:22 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by EGK
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by David
https://www.avclub.com/eliza-dushku-accuses-true-lies-stunt-coordinator-
joe
l-k
-1822054370
Eliza Dushku accuses True Lies stunt coordinator Joel Kramer of
sexually assaulting her when she was 12 years old
by William Hughes
Eliza Dushku has accused a well-known and prolific Hollywood stunt
coordinator of sexually assaulting her during the filming of True
Lies, when the Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Dollhouse actress was only
12 years old. Dushku posted a lengthy essay on Facebook last night,
opening up about an incident from 25 years ago in which she says Joel
Kramer‹whose recent credits include high-profile projects like Blade
Runner 2049, Star Trek: Discovery, and Westworld‹first earned her and
her family¹s trust during her time on the Arnold Schwarzenegger action
vehicle, and then abused it by luring her to a hotel room in the guise
of letting her swim at the facility¹s pool.
Post by shawn
That boggles my mind and yet this isn't the only report of such
decisions being made out in Hollywood where it seems it's been normal
to let under age kids go off alone to hang out for hours with adults.
"'Bye, honey. Enjoy your evening alone with a man that I'm afraid of."
In her defense, it's totally unclear whether she was afraid of Kramer
before or after.
Jim G.
2018-01-16 20:01:23 UTC
Post by shawn
That boggles my mind and yet this isn't the only report of such
decisions being made out in Hollywood where it seems it's been normal
to let under age kids go off alone to hang out for hours with adults.
"'Bye, honey. Enjoy your evening alone with a man that I'm afraid of."
In her defense, it's totally unclear whether she was afraid of Kramer
before or after.
Fair point, and I'd be more inclined to be charitable if other tidbits
hadn't come out that show that this mother appears to be a nutjob who
lost any sympathy that I might have had when she made her comment that
suggested that she was a victim along with Eliza in this scenario.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-16 20:11:31 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
That boggles my mind and yet this isn't the only report of such
decisions being made out in Hollywood where it seems it's been normal
to let under age kids go off alone to hang out for hours with adults.
"'Bye, honey. Enjoy your evening alone with a man that I'm afraid of."
In her defense, it's totally unclear whether she was afraid of Kramer
before or after.
Fair point, and I'd be more inclined to be charitable if other tidbits
hadn't come out that show that this mother appears to be a nutjob who
lost any sympathy that I might have had when she made her comment that
suggested that she was a victim along with Eliza in this scenario.
Oh, yeah, her mom is worthless, no question on that, just saying I'm not
clear on when she started fearing Kramer. Might have been last week.
Jim G.
2018-01-17 22:10:09 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
That boggles my mind and yet this isn't the only report of such
decisions being made out in Hollywood where it seems it's been normal
to let under age kids go off alone to hang out for hours with adults.
"'Bye, honey. Enjoy your evening alone with a man that I'm afraid of."
In her defense, it's totally unclear whether she was afraid of Kramer
before or after.
Fair point, and I'd be more inclined to be charitable if other tidbits
hadn't come out that show that this mother appears to be a nutjob who
lost any sympathy that I might have had when she made her comment that
suggested that she was a victim along with Eliza in this scenario.
Oh, yeah, her mom is worthless, no question on that, just saying I'm not
clear on when she started fearing Kramer. Might have been last week.
I can't find the original quote at the moment, but it at least
*appeared* to suggest that it goes back a long ways, given the context
and the way that I recall the words being presented. But yeah, it wasn't
unequivocal.

In related news, apparently a couple of other accusations have since
been leveled against Kramer, and he even acknowledges that he had sex
with a 16-year-old in a pool-related situation eerily similar to the one
that Dushku describes. Apparently this sex was legal in the state in
which it occurred, but it still depicts a guy in his late 30s (at that
point) showing his willingness to pursue his interest in very young girls.
shawn
2018-01-17 23:35:20 UTC
On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 16:10:09 -0600, "Jim G."
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
[...]
Yeah, and depending on which version of the story you believe he comes
off as even creepier. The thing is he thought the girl was 17
(according to him) so he's definitely going for the very young. Young
enough that there's not much that difference between someone underage
and of age.

Oh, and I love that when he heard the girl was 16 he supposedly
immediately checked what the legal age was. What guy would think to do
that upon hearing a girl he had sex with was 16. Sounds like one that
has skirted that issue more than once. Which likely means he knows
that he's had sex with girls under the legal age on at least a few
occasions.
Jim G.
2018-01-20 19:22:03 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Yep. And in both cases that I've read about, he was the instigator of
the ever-so-innocent "Let's hit the pool" approach to...dating.
Post by shawn
Young
enough that there's not much that difference between someone underage
and of age.
Oh, and I love that when he heard the girl was 16 he supposedly
immediately checked what the legal age was. What guy would think to do
that upon hearing a girl he had sex with was 16. Sounds like one that
has skirted that issue more than once. Which likely means he knows
that he's had sex with girls under the legal age on at least a few
occasions.
At worst, word is now out to keep this guy away from your teenage (or
younger) daughter. And it's not as if he can complain that this is
unfair without acknowledging that he still has a special fondness for
that age bracket.
EGK
2018-01-14 00:15:18 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by David
[...]
I read that on her Facebook. The part that I dont get is "Hollywood has
been very good to me in many ways. Nevertheless, Hollywood
also failed to protect me, a child actress."

Isn't that the parents job to protect a 12yr old? Her mom posted too saying
she was scared. Wasn't her dad around? She mentions an adult actress
taking up for her but still, isn't that the parents job?

Let's get real here. Even average people like me know about these stories
of Hollywood and I've never been close to the place. You can't tell me her
mom or mom and dad didn't know these things too. People need to take some
responsibility for their own actions or inactions. An average 12yr old
isn't going to be able to make good decisions and certainly an entity like
"Hollywood" can't be expected to make them for her.

That's why I said it seems like everyone in that town is either a victim, an
abuser or someone who enabled it by knowing about things and choosing to
look the other way.
Eliza Dushku
RichA
No, not at all. Parent's aren't responsible for anything these days, it's always "they" who are responsible. Blame-shifting is part 'n parcel of the disgusting 60's and 70's generation.
BTR1701
No, her father left the family before she was five.
trotsky
When she was four, maybe?
A Friend
2018-01-14 03:34:27 UTC
[...]
My God. Thanks for posting the whole thing. Did Kramer actually try
to kill her? And is there a statute of limitations on that?
Jim G.
2018-01-13 20:36:24 UTC
Post by David
[...]
How, exactly, does a 12-year-old girl find herself alone in a hotel room
with someone like this? If it's true, then Kramer has a lot to answer
for, but so do some other people.
BTR1701
2018-01-13 22:42:14 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by David
[...]
Her mother posted a reply to the people criticizing her for not doing
more when Eliza told her about it.

Judith Dushku:

I accept your condemnation as Eliza's mother. No, it was not her
career that I feared for, as that meant nothing to me. I was
afraid of Joel Kramer, too. And it was years later that I finally
understood fully what really happened. At the time, Eliza was too
scared to tell the whole story and in a way I think she protected
me from knowing because she knew how frightened I was of the
powerful men on the set. Her [loss] was the worst, but abuse can
throw a wide net. I only began to understand this many years later.
Thank you to your mother for what she did for you. I wish I had
been that brave.
RichA
2018-01-14 00:01:45 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by David
https://www.avclub.com/eliza-dushku-accuses-true-lies-stunt-coordinator-joe
l-k
-1822054370
Eliza Dushku accuses True Lies stunt coordinator Joel Kramer of
sexually assaulting her when she was 12 years old
by William Hughes
Eliza Dushku has accused a well-known and prolific Hollywood stunt
coordinator of sexually assaulting her during the filming of True
Lies, when the Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Dollhouse actress was only
12 years old. Dushku posted a lengthy essay on Facebook last night,
opening up about an incident from 25 years ago in which she says Joel
Kramer仇hose recent credits include high-profile projects like Blade
Runner 2049, Star Trek: Discovery, and Westworld鞠irst earned her and
her familyケs trust during her time on the Arnold Schwarzenegger action
vehicle, and then abused it by luring her to a hotel room in the guise
of letting her swim at the facilityケs pool.
Worthless parent.
trotsky
Well anonyshitted.
m***@hotmail.com
Imagine having American parents who raise you to be a pathological liar.
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-14 04:00:16 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Jim G.
How, exactly, does a 12-year-old girl find herself alone in a hotel room
with someone like this? If it's true, then Kramer has a lot to answer
for, but so do some other people.
I accept your condemnation as Eliza's mother. No, it was not her
career that I feared for, as that meant nothing to me. I was
afraid of Joel Kramer, too.
So did he threaten to beat her up, or what?

I'm calling bullshit on this.
trotsky
I'm starting not to believe this story at all.
Alan Smithee
2018-01-15 19:04:59 UTC
Post by David
https://www.avclub.com/eliza-dushku-accuses-true-lies-stunt-coordinator-joel-k-1822054370
Eliza Dushku accuses True Lies stunt coordinator Joel Kramer of
sexually assaulting her when she was 12 years old
by William Hughes
Where are the parents of these kids? Spending their cash???