Today's premieres and other notes (Thursday, Jan. 11)
Add Reply
Robin Miller
2018-01-11 18:47:51 UTC
23rd Annual Critics' Choice Awards (live event) (8-10 pm, CW)

Inside the Actors Studio: Ted Danson (special) (8 pm, Bravo)

Truth and Lies: The Tonya Harding Story (special) (9-11 pm, ABC)

The Rundown with Robin Thede (season 1 winter premiere)
(11 pm, BET)

Cable reality:

Growing Up Hip Hop Atlanta (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, WE tv)

Expecting [new] (9:30 pm, Up)

Making a Model with Yolanda Hadid [new] (10 pm, Lifetime
Channel)

Tomorrow's advance notes:

Tom Segura: Disgraceful (comedy special) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Disjointed (complete 2nd half of season 1) (3:01 am,
Netflix)

The Polka King (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Jack Black, Jenny Slate, Jackie Weaver, and Jason Schwartzman star in an
adaptation of John Mikulak and Joshua Von Brown's documentary The Man
Who Would Be Polka King (which is also available to stream on Netflix
today). Written and directed by Maya Forbes and Wallace Wolodarsky
(Infinitely Polar Bear), the film traces the strange rise and fall of
Polish émigré Jan Lewan (Black), who bilked investors to build a musical
empire. Reviews were mixed at the film's Sundance premiere a year ago.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-polka-king [Metacritic score 64]

Somebody Feed Phil [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

The food-oriented travel series (formerly known as I'll Have What Phil's
Having) moves to the streaming service from PBS for its second season.
But noted here as "new" because that's how Netflix describes it.

My Next Guest Needs No Introduction With David Letterman [new]
(3:01 am, Netflix)

The legendary TV host comes out of retirement for this Netflix series
consisting of six hour-long episodes that will find Letterman speaking
with influential guests such as Barack Obama, George Clooney, Jay-Z,
Tina Fey, Malala Yousafzai, and Howard Stern. The interviews will be
combined with field segments that find the host exploring ideas
presented during each interview. One episode (the Obama one) streams
today, with the rest to follow on a monthly basis.

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams [new] (3:01 am, Amazon
Prime)

Based on various writings from author Philip K. Dick, each of the ten
standalone episodes are set in a different and unique world - some which
lay in the far reaches of the universe, and others which are much closer
to home. While the stories may be worlds apart, central to each is the
poignant and warm exploration of the importance and significance of
humanity. From five to 5000 years in the future, each compelling tale
will both illustrate Philip K. Dick's prophetic vision and celebrate the
enduring appeal of the prized sci-fi novelist's work. Philip K. Dick's
Electric Dreams will be available as a Prime Exclusive Series in the
U.S., as well as in select territories globally, including Germany,
India, Italy, Japan, Latin America, Spain and Turkey, among others.
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams features an all-star cast, including
Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Greg
Kinnear (Heaven is For Real), Maura Tierney (The Affair), Janelle Monáe
(Moonlight), Mireille Enos (The Catch), Anna Paquin (True Blood),
Terrence Howard (Empire), Timothy Spall (Mr. Turner), Liam Cunningham
(Game of Thrones), Richard Madden (Game of Thrones), Holliday Grainger
(The Finest Hours), Mel Rodriguez (Last Man on Earth), Vera Farmiga
(Bates Motel), Jack Reynor (Macbeth), Essie Davis (The Babadook),
Benedict Wong (Doctor Strange), Geraldine Chaplin (A Monster Calls),
Juno Temple (Vinyl) and David Lyons (Revolution), among many others.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams
[Metacritic score 67]

Lip Sync Battle Shorties [new] (7:30 pm, Nickelodeon)

Described as "new," but three prior episodes have aired.

Bad Stepmother (movie) (8 pm, LMN)

When Verity and Jonathan's father dies of a mysterious heart attack,
Verity must return home to their sprawling estate in New Orleans. Upon
her return, the siblings discover an off-kilter stepmother who will be
receiving all of their father's inheritance--except the house. Their
stepmother, Louise, will do anything to get the entire estate... even
murder. Sofia Vassilieva, Kristy Swanson, Dave Davis star.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7125070/

http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/bad-stepmother

Blindspot (season 3 winter premiere) (8 pm, NBC)

Taken (season 2 premiere) (9 pm, NBC)

The drama's second season features wholesale cast changes, with only
leads Bryan Mills and Christina Hart returning. Bryan Mills (Clive
Standen) fights for his life inside a secret Mexican prison and plans a
series of dangerous deals to put him on track for escape to the United
States. But plans change when Mills and a young migrant girl (guest star
Adriana Santos) are taken by human traffickers. Meanwhile, Christina
Hart (Jennifer Beals) leverages her spycraft skills to obtain powerful
new software that could locate Mills, and enlists two unlikely allies to
aid in her mission to bring Mills home. Also starring Adam Goldberg
(Kilroy) and Jessica Camacho (Santana). Also guest starring Peter
Outerbridge (James Casey), Matthew Bennett (Gary Martello), David Julian
Hirsh (Clayton Bass), Jose Joaquin Perez (Jose) and Nancy Ticotin (Salome).

--Robin
Ian J. Ball
2018-01-11 19:52:03 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Lip Sync Battle Shorties [new] (7:30 pm, Nickelodeon)
Described as "new," but three prior episodes have aired.
Really, only two prior - the original special with Sarah Hyland was not really part of the current show.
Post by Robin Miller
Bad Stepmother (movie) (8 pm, LMN)
When Verity and Jonathan's father dies of a mysterious heart attack,
Verity must return home to their sprawling estate in New Orleans. Upon
her return, the siblings discover an off-kilter stepmother who will be
receiving all of their father's inheritance--except the house. Their
stepmother, Louise, will do anything to get the entire estate... even
murder. Sofia Vassilieva, Kristy Swanson, Dave Davis star.
Sure, why not!
I think I'll record this, in preference over watching it live...
Dimensional Traveler
2018-01-11 21:00:24 UTC
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams       [new]            (3:01 am, Amazon
Prime)
This is the first of ANY of the streaming shows that actually interests
me but I ain't paying for Prime even if my Internet connection was up to
streaming shows.
Blindspot        (season 3 winter premiere)        (8 pm, NBC)
Still recording but I haven't gotten to watching any of this season yet.
[...]
Boo on the Taken changes but I still have the series set to record so I
guess I'll see how bad they made it in a month or two.
instinct are running screaming.
Robin Miller
2018-01-12 00:42:50 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
[...]
Will I be able to enjoy season 2 if I didn't watch season 1?

This is my kind of show. I don't know why I didn't watch the first season.

--Robin
Ian J. Ball
2018-01-12 01:56:35 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
Well, let's put it this way - season #2 is basically an almost full
"reboot" from season #1, so viewing of season #1 will almost certainly
not be a needed prerequisite.
Robin Miller

--Robin
anim8rfsk
2018-01-11 21:31:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/470TG3AdA1A
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams
[Metacritic score 67]
Huh. Well, if it's free ...
searching Amazon Prime app for "dick" (yeah, this could go south real
fast)
Hey, there it is, third dick hit, free with Prime! Yay Robin!
lol. "Dick is for members only." Really. It says that.
Trailer is up now and looks good.
And the next hit is something VERY VERY BAD!
Thanks> --Robin
2018-01-11 22:38:29 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Inside the Actors Studio: Ted Danson (special) (8 pm, Bravo)
Bah! They ran out of real actors to interview long ago.
Jim G.
2018-01-12 02:16:23 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes. And yes. :)
"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE
Arthur Lipscomb
2018-01-13 06:45:17 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
I've watched the first two and I'm about half way through the third. I
won't comment on the one I'm still watching. I thought the first one
was OK, but unfortunately the story has previously been ripped off. I
was really impressed by the second episode. I was still thinking about
it long after it was over.
Jim G.
2018-01-13 20:35:34 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
I haven't started in yet, but I'm hearing some good reviews to go along
with the good reviews that I heard back when the first episodes were
released on some British channel. (I have no idea how or why the release
schedule has been done the way that it has been done.)