Bannon on 60 Minutes
Add Reply
Bill Idgerant
2017-09-12 17:29:58 UTC
A couple of impressions:

Hey Steve, would it kill you to shave for your first ever TV interview?
And how many shirts do you need to wear?

Hey Charlie, why do you lean in like a creepy uncle, repeat the
subject's answer as a question and then throw in non-sequitors? I mean
David Duke? Really? (Is Charlie Rose the most annoying interviewer on TV
today, in a smarmy, creepy, sanctimonious way?)

As for content, there was some interesting stuff. The Republican
establishment's attempts to de-legitimize Trump's election. That's
pretty ridiculous since Trump seems to be handling that aspect of his
presidency quite well on his own. The Christie thing about "Billy Bush
weekend" might be true, but even Melania was critical and she's still
around.

As for "if you're with the guy, you're with the guy" as an under pinning
for support, regardless of what the guy does, it seems a bit of a
stretch. At some point, one needs to consider preservation of one's
credibility. Tillerson, Mattis et al surely have to wonder what they're
doing here from time to time.

I view Bannon much like Jeff Flake. They are both firmly committed to
their world view, both believe that that view is under assault and both
seem to ignore the reality that governing requires the consent of the
governed. Neither position (ultra nationalism or ultra conservatism) is
a winnable philosophy in a country where the middle, with enough freedom
and enough government programs, more or less, seems good enough.
--
Bill Idgerant
Not a real name
m***@hotmail.com
2017-09-12 18:23:45 UTC
Post by Bill Idgerant
Hey Steve, would it kill you to shave for your first ever TV interview?
Here in 1995, Steven Bannon was interviewed on C-SPAN:

-- https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/qkjn87/the-strange-history-of-steve-bannon-and-the-biosphere-2-experiment
Breezy Eason
2017-09-12 18:59:25 UTC
isn't Tuesday your day to go to the Food Bank? ... mustn't forget ... Gov Surplus Food for those who don't Work ... Yummy!
super70s
2017-09-13 00:52:09 UTC
Post by Bill Idgerant
Hey Steve, would it kill you to shave for your first ever TV interview?
And how many shirts do you need to wear?
Get a load of this latest wingut conspiracy theory:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/09/12/was-steve-bannons-face-
altered-on-60-minutes.html
Charles H. Sampson
2017-09-14 01:42:04 UTC
Post by Bill Idgerant
Hey Charlie, why do you lean in like a creepy uncle, repeat the
subject's answer as a question and then throw in non-sequitors? I mean
David Duke? Really? (Is Charlie Rose the most annoying interviewer on TV
today, in a smarmy, creepy, sanctimonious way?)
I'm not sure about the creepy uncle part, but Rose lost a tremendous
amount of credibility with me when we bagan watching CBS This Morning.
Beginning with the second half hour, all three of the hosts feel that
they must add their own "insights" to each report. It usually starts
with Gayle King saying something totally banal, followed by the others.
Rose doesn't have the sense to sit back and say nothing. Instead, he
seems to want to out-banal the other two.

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own. You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for. You hired workers we
But take a hunk and pay it forward. Elizabeth Warren (paraphrased)
Adam H. Kerman
2017-09-17 17:43:38 UTC
Post by Bill Idgerant
[...]
This was nicely written. I happen to like Jeff Flake a lot, although
I largely disagree with him. Bannon was just evil.
Bill Idgerant
2017-09-18 15:04:45 UTC
Post by Bill Idgerant
[...]
Thanks for the complement. I appreciate your writings as well, as you
seem to be one of the few regular posters on RATV who actually comes
from planet Earth.

I'm almost done reading Flake's book. I see it more as an indictment of
Trump and the politicians who enable him than a recipe for advancing a
workable, acceptable conservative agenda. We had an entire party of
"litmus test" conservatives operating in Canada for a while, but they
had to morph into general, main stream, middle-of-the-road, practical
conservatives in order to become government (under Stephen Harper) Now,
they're out and the Liberals (our version of Democrats) are in, led by
the vacuous, unimpressive, unprincipled Justin Trudeau. I expect the
same swing of the pendulum in the US following the elections of '18 and '20.

Cheers
--
Bill Idgerant
Not a real name
b***@gmail.com
2017-09-18 16:51:23 UTC
Post by Bill Idgerant
[...]
If you're into collecting dirt on people, Sen. Jeff Flake's son went: 'by the name “n-ggerkiller” in an online game' and Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona, a devout Mormon and family man, has apologized for homophobic, racist and anti-Semitic comments posted online by his teenage son"

(Source: New York Daily News, June 13, 2013)

-- https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/politics/ariz-sen-aplogizes-teen-son-online-slurs-article-1.1371590?espv=1
Bill Idgerant
2017-09-19 13:35:58 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by Bill Idgerant
[...]
Nope. Not interested in collecting dirt.
--
Bill Idgerant
Not a real name