Why Marvel Television Shows Are So Tonally Different
Add Reply
jess stone
2017-08-07 14:32:07 UTC
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/06/marvel-television-shows-tonally-different/

“So what I would say about that is, look, I am a fan of the Marvel
shows, and I think that some of what they are doing the work on
Netflix is fantastic. The tone and the style of some of the Netflix
shows, it’s not a very ABC tone or style. I don’t think that those
shows would work as well on our air as they do work at Netflix, and I
think that the right home for those shows is there.

<Good read.>
W/Q
All the Marvel shows are boring, regardless of what network they're on.
David Barnett
David Barnett
anim8rfsk
W/Q
Which doesn't tell me anything. What Marvel show isn't boring?
David Barnett
2017-08-08 22:08:05 UTC
Post by W/Q
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by jess stone
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/06/marvel-television-shows-tonally-different/
?So what I would say about that is, look, I am a fan of the Marvel
shows, and I think that some of what they are doing the work on
Netflix is fantastic. The tone and the style of some of the Netflix
shows, it?s not a very ABC tone or style. I don?t think that those
shows would work as well on our air as they do work at Netflix, and I
think that the right home for those shows is there.
<Good read.>
All the Marvel shows are boring, regardless of what network they're on.
I don't agree.
Which doesn't tell me anything. What Marvel show isn't boring?
All.
What's boring for you is not boring for me.
David Barnett
anim8rfsk
2017-08-08 22:27:46 UTC
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by jess stone
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/06/marvel-television-shows-tonall
y-different/
?So what I would say about that is, look, I am a fan of the Marvel
shows, and I think that some of what they are doing the work on
Netflix is fantastic. The tone and the style of some of the Netflix
shows, it?s not a very ABC tone or style. I don?t think that those
shows would work as well on our air as they do work at Netflix, and I
think that the right home for those shows is there.
<Good read.>
All the Marvel shows are boring, regardless of what network they're on.
I don't agree.
Which doesn't tell me anything. What Marvel show isn't boring?
All.
What's boring for you is not boring for me.
They aren't exactly good, but they're not boring.
W/Q
Not being exactly good = boring. How can it not?
David Johnston
That of course is nonsense. The best shows are all boring.
W/Q
No, the best shows are interesting, engaging, imaginative, satisfying, something you actually look forward to setting aside time to watch the next episode of, and that don't reek of pretentious artsy-fartsiness. Unfortunately, they've mostly forgotten how to make those kinds of shows, now misguidedly believing that stretching a one- or two-hour plot across 10-12 episodes is an expression of brilliant television when in fact it only ends up being little more than an exercise in tedious story-telling, plumbing the depths of unnecessary plot and character fat to fill out an artificial length, that of 10-12 hours, when a concise hour or two would do and still deliver more impact. Less is more. It's like the difference between a 30-minute Twilight Zone episode and 8 hour-long episodes of Stephen King's 11.22.63. The former gives you an effective punch line within half-an-hour and then you get on with your life. The latter, which would've made for an excellent half-hour Twilight Zone episode, inevitably meandered its way to the finish line and ran out of steam already a few episodes before it, dragging the viewer mercilessly across two months to ultimately a disappointing conclusion. It's the serialization of TV series these days that virtually guarantees practically all of them to end up being boring, especially the Marvel shows.
moviePig
2017-08-11 13:36:09 UTC
Post by W/Q
Post by David Johnston
Post by W/Q
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by jess stone
[...]
There's also how Marvel stories -- well, hero-characters really -- are
so relentlessly formulaic, pandering to the "special-ness" fantasy quite
common in childhood. Nothing wrong with that fantasy, of course, except
that 1) its uniformity relieves its story of any discernible tension,
and 2) we sooner or later outgrow it.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig
W/Q
An unsatisfactory response. Be specific. Which Marvel show (or shows) isn't boring and what makes it not boring?
David Barnett
2017-08-11 03:09:54 UTC
Post by W/Q
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by jess stone
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/06/marvel-television-shows-tonally-different/
?So what I would say about that is, look, I am a fan of the Marvel
shows, and I think that some of what they are doing the work on
Netflix is fantastic. The tone and the style of some of the Netflix
shows, it?s not a very ABC tone or style. I don?t think that those
shows would work as well on our air as they do work at Netflix, and I
think that the right home for those shows is there.
<Good read.>
All the Marvel shows are boring, regardless of what network they're on.
I don't agree.
Which doesn't tell me anything. What Marvel show isn't boring?
All.
What's boring for you is not boring for me.
An unsatisfactory response. Be specific. Which Marvel show (or shows) isn't boring and what makes it not boring?
I said "all".
What makes it boring for you?
David Barnett
W/Q
I asked you first as to what makes it not boring.
David Barnett
2017-08-11 03:28:39 UTC
Post by W/Q
Post by W/Q
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by jess stone
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/06/marvel-television-shows-tonally-different/
?So what I would say about that is, look, I am a fan of the Marvel
shows, and I think that some of what they are doing the work on
Netflix is fantastic. The tone and the style of some of the Netflix
shows, it?s not a very ABC tone or style. I don?t think that those
shows would work as well on our air as they do work at Netflix, and I
think that the right home for those shows is there.
<Good read.>
All the Marvel shows are boring, regardless of what network they're on.
I don't agree.
Which doesn't tell me anything. What Marvel show isn't boring?
All. *****
What's boring for you is not boring for me.
An unsatisfactory response. Be specific. Which Marvel show (or shows) isn't boring and what makes it not boring?
Ive added asterisks to my "all" which answers your first question, which
did not need to be asked.
Above you or someone say that they are all boring.
I just find I am not bored with them,
and I don't know for sure what makes them not boring.
David Barnett
anim8rfsk
2017-08-11 03:43:38 UTC
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by W/Q
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by jess stone
[...]
Well, cute girls help. When I was watching S.H.I.E.L.D. Chloe Bennett
made it non boring. Haley in Agent Carter did the same. None of the
Netflix Marvel series were boring (hey, DEFENDERS this month!). Even
Iron Fist, which wasn't very good, wasn't boring, if only because you
kept waking yourself up yelling "SAY WHAT??!?!"
instinct are running screaming.
W/Q
2017-08-11 14:10:33 UTC
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by W/Q
Post by David Barnett
Post by W/Q
Post by jess stone
[...]
Well, if you don't know for sure what makes them boring, then it can only be that you don't know for sure what makes them not boring since you're not specifying what, which can only mean you watch TV in a comatose state.