What Did You Watch? 2017-10-08 (Sunday)
Add Reply
Obveeus
2017-10-09 12:07:37 UTC

NFL: Early game where the Pittsburgh Steelers defense defended well
against the Jacksonville Jaguars, but didn't have any strategy at all to
prevent their own quarterback from having a record day passing to the
Jaguar defensive backs.

In the evening I channel surfed between an NFL game I really didn't care
about, an MLB game I didn't really care about (but which I wanted to see
the yankees lose), and mostly the WORLD SERIES OF POKER where players
strategize to bluff and hope to get lucky and hope that their own luck
doesn't line up with someone else's luck in a way that dooms them.

2017-10-09 13:58:25 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Ray Donomvan - "Mister Luck" - I didn't really follow what was going on
too closely but it was OK.

Extinct - Pilot episode. Already covered. It held my interest. I'll
check out more.

Star Trek Discovery - "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry"
- I spent this episode *waiting* for them to work the title into the
episode but they never did. Anyway, this week with the Klingon war
continuing to rage on Discovery gets orders to use their new Battle Star
Galacatica folding space technology in the war effort. But first they
have to figure out how to make it work without killing everyone.
Meanwhile the Klingons continue to force me to read subtitles. OK
episode, but I really don't care about the internal Klingon politics.
At least we know what the Klingons did with the Captain Georgiou.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (4k blu-ray) Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 take on
Dracula staring Gary Oldman as the titular character and Anthony Hopkins
as Van Helsing. It's still a bit on the campy side, but it looks good.
Especially in 4K, the visuals really stand out.

Burnt (Netflix rental) - Bradley Cooper stars as a chef trying to get
his 3rd star while dealing with recovery. It was OK.

The Last Word (Netflix rental) - Shirley MacLaine stars as an abrasive
control freak who thanks to her money is able to bully the local paper
into writing her obituary before she dies. But when the writer (Amanda
Seyfried) can't find *anyone* with something nice to say about her,
MacLaine sets out to rewrite how her life ends. It was OK.
David Barnett
2017-10-10 05:09:40 UTC
In article <orfva3$e3n$***@dont-email.me>, ***@alum.calberkeley.org
says...
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Star Trek Discovery - "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry"
- I spent this episode *waiting* for them to work the title into the
episode but they never did. Anyway, this week with the Klingon war
continuing to rage on Discovery gets orders to use their new Battle Star
Galacatica folding space technology in the war effort. But first they
have to figure out how to make it work without killing everyone.
Meanwhile the Klingons continue to force me to read subtitles. OK
episode, but I really don't care about the internal Klingon politics.
At least we know what the Klingons did with the Captain Georgiou.
I felt this episode was like the curate's egg,
the bad part being the scenes with the Klingons .
I like the subtitles but I prefer the people to be speaking English.
This was a let down from the previous episode.
Nevertheless looking forward to the next episode.
David Barnett
Ian J. Ball
2017-10-09 15:30:21 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Quickly...:

Game Shakers - "The Trip Trap". This episode was OK, which means it was
substantially better than other recent episodes, which have been awful.
:/
This show has never really lived up to its promise, and season #2
has been pretty bad overall...

NFL football - The "Los Angeles" Chargers actually manage to win a
game, which means they are no longer winless like the Cleveland
Browns... and the NY Giants!! (Heh...)

Poldark (recorded) - Basically, ep. #3.2. Poldark unwisely turns down a
Justice of the Peace gig, which allows Warleggen to assume the gig
instead - can't help but think this will have awful repercussions for
*everybody* down the road...
Meanwhile, both Verity's and Caroline Enys' beaus appear to be lost
at sea, though in the end Verity actually gets good news. But it looks
as if Dr. Enys has been captured by the French, which means Poldark has
to use his connections with some of the local "shady" characters in
order to go to France to try and bring him back.
P.S. Adam was wrong - there was no evidence in episode #3.2 either
that Demelza has figured out that Elizabeth's brat is Poldark's yet.

Violetta (The Netflix) - A couple more episodes (I think I'm up to
about #1.50 now...). There was a completely nonsensical plot
development in these - Tomas, having previously figured out that blonde
Ludmilla is straight-up *EVOL!!1*, suddently does a 180 and wants to
date her!... Huh?!! What? - Is he caught up in Ludmilla's "boob fog"?!
Dude, even if you're done with that tease Violetta, like Leon
apparently is (a wise choice, all around!), it makes *zero* sense to
get together with the school EVOL!!1! bitch!... This plot development
actually made no sense.
Meanwhile, the P.I. that the live-action cartoon Jade hired actually
gets the dirt on Angie, but because Jade and her brother can't pay him,
the P.I. ends up selling the info to Violetta's dad's man, Ramallo
(pronounced: Ra-mash-o!!), who buys the dirt to protect Angie.... Oh,
and it looks like Pablo is going to organize a "school outside of
school" for the disaffected music school kids who weren't picked to be
the "stars".

Recorded for later: The Last Ship (2-hour finale), Poldark.
Obveeus
2017-10-09 17:11:10 UTC
This is an all-time low for the Giants.
Jim G.
2017-10-11 18:59:53 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY / 1x04 / The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the
Lamb's Cry

[With tensions and stakes high as Starfleet continues in their efforts
to end the war with Klingons, Burnham begins to settle in to her new
position aboard the U.S.S. Discovery.]

We pick up where we left on with regard to the deadly creature that
Burhnam and company encountered on U.S.S. Glenn, which Capt. Lorca had
then beamed over to Discovery before scuttling the Glenn. Cmdr. Landry
is eager to remain on the good side of Lorca and pushes thing when it
comes to studying the creature, which leads to her death. Despite this
attack by the creature, Burnham is convinced that it is peaceful at
heart and sets about proving it to Lorca and Lt. Stamets. After
realizing its symbiotic relationship with the spores themselves, it all
falls into place and the creature itself serves as the navigational
supercomputer that Stamets has been needing in order to make the organic
drive work on Discovery. And because of this success, they are able to
save a bunch of people under attack by Klingons on a mining colony that
is critical to the Federation because of its dilithium output. So
Burnham is a hero and is already building a good new reputation on
Discovery. But the process behind this new drive system is painful for
the creature and clearly leaves Burnham ambivalent and uneasy.

In a side plot, Burnham takes possession of a package from Capt.
Georgiou at the outset of the episode, but it's only at the end, and
only after some encouragement from Tilly, that she is ready to open the
container. After doing so, she listens to Georgiou's final supportive
words to her, and take possession of the old-fashioned telescope.

Elsewhere, we see that the Klingon truce between houses remains tenuous,
at best, and that the loyalty of many Klingons can be bought for the
price of a meal or two. In the end, T'Kuvma's successor is mocked and
left behind on the derelict Shenzhou, joined at the last moment by his
own loyal right-hand supporter just before the rest of the Klingons warp
away with the dilithium that they'd harvested from the Shenzhou. Yeah,
someone on the Starfleet side of things should have probably done a
little more to secure or scuttle that ship before everyone abandoned it.

One last note: Capt. Lorca is starting to grow on me as an impressive
and kickass leader, straddling that fence between being in charge of a
research vessel and being in charge of a weapon of war. Once again, the
comparisons to Capt. Nemo write themselves. And this is after I was
already suitably impressed with Capt. Georgiou and her more Picard-esque
approach to things. So both new captains have been decent additions to
the Trek Captains Club, IMO.

Grade: B

THE LAST SHIP / 4x09 / Detect, Deceive, Destroy

[The crew of Nathan James faces a threat that will test the limits of
their Naval tactics and strategies.]

Lots of fun naval tactics and cat-and-mouse in this one, which I will
always approve of wholeheartedly. But first, we learn that Vellek is
completely aware that his favorite "son" is not really alive and is only
with him courtesy of the same pharmaceuticals that we saw working on
Slattery earlier in the season. So the dude isn't crazy; he's just a
junkie of sorts. And now he is out of his supply and jonesing for more,
meaning that he has little patience for the naval tactics that will
require time to keep him safe. Regarding those tactics, the Greeks are
traveling with four ships, not three. But our intrepid heroes make quick
work of figuring that out. Nice try, ya Greek posers. Green, Taylor and
Kandie take out one of the four ships on their own with just a RHIB, a
bit of explosives and an improvised plan because they're just that
awesome. And they're dealing with Greek posers. So we're down to three
enemy ships.

Giorgio realizes that Lucia is seeking better times through the same
pharmaceuticals as Papa Vellek himself and doesn't approve, but realizes
that it's a lost cause and that his family has already given up in this
regard. Lucia takes out an innocent commercial vessel and gives Team
Chandler five minutes to stop hiding or she'll kill more innocents on
more commercial vessels. Vellek is still jonesing and gets his ship's
captain to increase speed and head for Malta NOW!, which only serves to
out that ship to our heroes. Meanwhile, our heroes fire off torpedoes to
take out one of a target that is hiding amidst the commercial vessels.
Their target rides lower in the water than fishing boats, so it's a
simple matter to set the torpedoes to a proper depth to ensure the
safety of the commercial vessels. BOOM! And we're down to two enemy ships.

But the Greeks aren't entirely incompetent and are able to determine
where the torpedoes originated and now have their sights on the Nathan
James. Meanwhile, the James's helo is taken out and its gunner, Nolan,
earns her call sign -- Cupid -- and is the only survivor. (I thought
that she'd be the one to die, given the focus on her at the outset of
the episode.) A bit of back-and-forth and the James manages to nail the
ship carrying Lucia and Giorgio, but of course *this* ship doesn't
immediately sink and only Giorgio is killed. Still, it means that we're
down to one enemy ship.

Lucia somehow makes it back to Dad's lab ship and tells him that Giorgio
is dead, but Vellek only wants to know if she has more of his wacky
weed. And that's how it ends: our heroes on the James with its
significantly reduced inventory of weapons and no helo versus Vellek and
Lucia and the seeds that are needed to save the world. Next up: the
season finale and a final showdown.

Grade: B

THE LAST SHIP / 4x10 / Endgame

[Chandler confronts his enemy — and his personal demons — in a final
showdown, with the fate of humanity on the line.]

Two planes loaded with the Nostros virus -- the happy weed stuff -- are
about to leave Malta, at which point there will be no stopping the
spread of the pacifist meme. The usual ground team from Nathan James
manages to disable them, but a third plane appears and escapes. (The
James folks really do need to learn to count better.) The James has no
real choice but to destroy it with a missile, giving away their position
in the process. So once again, it's ship versus ship. Lucia knows that
she and her ship have the advantage because she has the seeds, which is
the best insurance policy possible.

Since it's personal for them both, Sasha and Chandler opt to take on a
covert mission to disable Lucia's ship's radar and propulsion so that
the James and its crew can safely approach and end things. Sasha and
Chandler succeed in no time at all because they're just that good. As
they advance through the stricken ship, alarm bells go off and Vellek
the Junkie torches his own lab. Chandler moves on while Sasha deals with
the fire. Meanwhile, the James is on fast approach and it's big guns vs.
big guns time. The James wins and Slattery leads a group of volunteers
-- including the criminally underappreciated Capt. Meylan, because why
leave any of your three captains safely behind? -- onto the other ship
to help Chandler and Sasha. Of course they overwhelm the Greeks on their
own ship because, again, Greeks. Sasha saves the seeds and then saves
Chandler by putting some redundant air holes in Lucia, who'd had him
dead to rights.

What follows is a super-cheesy exchange between Chandler and Vellek
that's way too reminiscent of this show's dialogue at its worst in the
past. And then Vellek does the man-overboard thing, followed by the
usual wrap-up of things: wounded crewmen recovering and razzing each
other, talk of what's next, etc. Things end with Sasha and Chandler
having a chat. Sasha mentions fresh starts before leaving him to his
thoughts, which puts a strange look on his face. He could be thinking of
his own options or about Vellek, whose body was presumably never
recovered and who could, theoretically, start round two. Time will tell.
For now, it's another reasonably good season in the books.

Grace: B-
"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE