"Monsters" movie being made into TV series
Add Reply
David
2018-01-12 20:16:02 UTC
http://deadline.com/2018/01/gareth-edwards-sci-fi-feature-monsters-being-adapted-as-television-series-1202241754/

Gareth Edwards’ Sci-Fi Feature ‘Monsters’ Being Adapted As Television
Series
by Peter White

EXCLUSIVE: British sci-fi horror film Monsters is being turned into a
television series by Vertigo Films for UK broadcaster Channel 4. The
feature was the directorial debut of Star Wars spin-off Rogue One and
Godzilla helmer Gareth Edwards.

It is currently in development with Channel 4 in the UK, via head of
international drama Simon Maxwell, and the producers are looking to
secure a major U.S. partner and is in talks with broadcasters and SVOD
services including Netflix and Amazon.

The film, which was released in 2010 via Vertigo and Magnet Releasing
in the U.S., follows an American photojournalist, played by Scoot
McNairy, who is tasked with escorting his employer’s daughter, played
by Whitney Able, back to the U.S. by crossing an infected zone full of
creatures in Mexico.
moviePig
2018-01-12 20:39:17 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Very nice, intelligent sci-fi movie. It played almost like a tone-poem.
But a TV-series? ...with cliffhangers and SEASONS??? I hate to see a
recent genre-favorite of mine subjected to such tired corruption...
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
A Friend
2018-01-12 20:40:34 UTC
Post by David
http://deadline.com/2018/01/gareth-edwards-sci-fi-feature-monsters-being-adapt
ed-as-television-series-1202241754/
Gareth Edwards‚ Sci-Fi Feature ŒMonsters‚ Being Adapted As Television
I've seen the film. Very good.
Dimensional Traveler
2018-01-12 20:47:11 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Is the series set before or after the sequel movie? (I have both in my
Disc Flix queue but haven't gotten to them yet.)
instinct are running screaming.
A Friend
2018-01-12 21:54:22 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by A Friend
Post by David
[...]
Holy crap. I didn't even know there was a sequel. Lessee.

First, I had no idea that Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able got married in
2010.

Second, here's the skinny on the 2014 sequel. Spoilers aplenty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters:_Dark_Continent

It does not appear to be an actual sequel, but is set ten years after
the first film and is in the same universe. Things have gotten a lot
worse in the world, monster-wise.

The reporting by Dateline Hollywood and other sources doesn't even
mention the sequel.
Ian J. Ball
How come I've never heard of this flick?!...
moviePig
2018-01-12 22:30:50 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Because it was sci-fi that was actually smart, which earned it... um...
uneven word-of-mouth. (Title didn't help, either.)
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 22:44:03 UTC
Post by David
[...]
Because you aren't paying attention? I savaged it right here on the
RAT. It's one of those films where the creatives should just go back to
fast food preparation, and instead they gave the director a Godzilla
movie.

It's on the Netflix Instant.

6.4 on the IMDb which proves Obveeus' theory that you should watch films
rated 5 or above wrong!
2018-01-12 23:28:10 UTC
Post by David
[...]
I probably won't get to this tonight, but I'll try to get to it tomorrow.
And then I'll let you all know what I think!! :)
Ed Stasiak
2018-01-12 23:10:37 UTC
Post by David
David
The film, which was released in 2010 via Vertigo and Magnet Releasing
in the U.S., follows an American photojournalist, played by Scoot
McNairy, who is tasked with escorting his employer’s daughter, played
by Whitney Able, back to the U.S. by crossing an infected zone full of
creatures in Mexico.
How come I've never heard of this flick?!...
I was vaguely aware of the movie but not being into horror flicks, never looked
past the movie poster and had no idea there was a sequel.

Guess I'll have to give a try, seeing as everybody here seems to like it.
moviePig
2018-01-12 23:31:38 UTC
Post by David
David
The film, which was released in 2010 via Vertigo and Magnet Releasing
in the U.S., follows an American photojournalist, played by Scoot
McNairy, who is tasked with escorting his employer’s daughter, played
by Whitney Able, back to the U.S. by crossing an infected zone full of
creatures in Mexico.
How come I've never heard of this flick?!...
I was vaguely aware of the movie but not being into horror flicks, never looked
past the movie poster and had no idea there was a sequel.
Guess I'll have to give a try, seeing as everybody here seems to like it.
No, a lot of people hated it (including at least one here). So,
statistically anyway, it hardly qualifies a sure bet. Of course, *I'd*
run the risk simply because I'd rather see a bad flick than miss a good
one ...like this is. (The "sequel", however looks NOT risk-worthy...)
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 23:34:29 UTC
Post by David
[...]
It was too artistic for you.
instinct are running screaming.
A Friend
2018-01-12 23:34:44 UTC
Post by David
[...]
It's remained relatively obscure. It was done on a shoestring budget
and, IMHO, is very good. It's the first film I saw Scoot McNairy in,
and I've been looking for his work ever since. (Unfortunately, he was
in that BatSuperman thing a couple of years back.)

Anim doesn't seem to like MONSTERS, but he's wrong, of course.