CNN: Dove soap ad. Funny
2017-10-09 02:54:10 UTC
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/08/news/companies/dove-apology-racist-ad/index.html
junebug
2017-10-09 05:24:03 UTC
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/08/news/companies/dove-apology-racist-ad/index.html
Interesting. When Michael Jackson did his "Black Or White" music video, there was a sequence where people morphed into different races, colors, and genders. Nobody complained then.
super70s
2017-10-09 08:24:42 UTC
Post by junebug
Post by RichA
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/08/news/companies/dove-apology-racist-
ad/index.html
Interesting. When Michael Jackson did his "Black Or White" music video, there
was a sequence where people morphed into different races, colors, and
genders. Nobody complained then.
Not to mention nobody complained when Jackson himself literally morphed
from black to white (vitiligo was used as an excuse but that condition
is completely different from the way Jackson looked).
J.B. Nicholson
2017-10-11 02:45:41 UTC
Post by junebug
Interesting. When Michael Jackson did his "Black Or White" music
video, there was a sequence where people morphed into different
races, colors, and genders. Nobody complained then.
Probably because the context was quite different and the music video
didn't criticize people of different races, skin colors, or
genders. According to
the
soap ad suggests that "the black woman had washed herself with Dove
soap and turned into a white woman".
Rhino
2017-10-11 13:33:40 UTC
genders. According to http://youtu.be/-KHMs_iBATY the
soap ad suggests that "the black woman had washed herself with Dove
soap and turned into a white woman".
I haven't seen the ad but I've heard that it also has a sequence where a
white woman turns into a black woman. If true, wouldn't that tend to
"undo" any criticism of racism since it implies that it is equally
desireable for a white person to become black as for a black person to
become white?

The whole "argument" is pretty silly in the first place in my opinion.
Unless it showed the black woman having some kind of invasive surgical
procedure to actually REMOVE her black skin entirely and then replace it
with white skin, it wouldn't really indicate shame at being black anyway.
2017-10-11 23:07:36 UTC
On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 09:33:40 -0400, Rhino
Post by Rhino
I haven't seen the ad but I've heard that it also has a sequence where a
white woman turns into a black woman. If true, wouldn't that tend to
"undo" any criticism of racism since it implies that it is equally
desireable for a white person to become black as for a black person to
become white?
The whole "argument" is pretty silly in the first place in my opinion.
Unless it showed the black woman having some kind of invasive surgical
procedure to actually REMOVE her black skin entirely and then replace it
with white skin, it wouldn't really indicate shame at being black anyway.
Don't know about that but I know I was constantly annoyed while
visiting Hong Kong about the prevalence of hair dye in the HK drug
stores.

Hong Kong has some of the most fashion conscious women in the Chinese
world and don't need dye to make their hair a color it isn't
naturally. Admittedly I'm not wild about white or black women in
unnatural colors either (for instance orange - not ginger but orange)

Bottom line is that we were all made what we are and while we can
improve on what we were given it doesn't require biologically
impossible enhancements to look great.
shawn
2017-10-11 23:52:47 UTC
Post by Rhino
I haven't seen the ad but I've heard that it also has a sequence where a
white woman turns into a black woman. If true, wouldn't that tend to
"undo" any criticism of racism since it implies that it is equally
desireable for a white person to become black as for a black person to
become white?
The problem is they weren't showing the entire ad which also included
a third woman that was hispanic. The idea is that each woman lifts her
shirt over her head as they do so they switch to a different woman
with a different colored shirt. So they were trying to be inclusive of
different skin tones but it ended up providing people with fuel to
light their offended fires especially with the shortened version of
the ad.
anim8rfsk
2017-10-12 00:25:54 UTC
Post by Rhino
I haven't seen the ad but I've heard that it also has a sequence where a
white woman turns into a black woman. If true, wouldn't that tend to
"undo" any criticism of racism since it implies that it is equally
desireable for a white person to become black as for a black person to
become white?
The problem is they weren't showing the entire ad which also included
a third woman that was hispanic.
Asian, according to the Post, which claims the full ad has 7 women.

Here's part of it. I haven't been able to find a working link to the
whole thing:

http://fortune.com/2017/10/11/dove-unilever-racism-black-model-skin/

2017-10-12 15:07:41 UTC
Post by J.B. Nicholson
Post by junebug
Interesting. When Michael Jackson did his "Black Or White" music
video, there was a sequence where people morphed into different
races, colors, and genders. Nobody complained then.
Probably because the context was quite different and the music video
didn't criticize people of different races, skin colors, or
genders. According to http://youtu.be/-KHMs_iBATY the
soap ad suggests that "the black woman had washed herself with Dove
soap and turned into a white woman".
I haven't seen the ad but I've heard that it also has a sequence where a
white woman turns into a black woman. If true, wouldn't that tend to
"undo" any criticism of racism since it implies that it is equally
desireable for a white person to become black as for a black person to
become white?
Now that you mention it, I seem to recall a similar kerfuffle over a similar
Japanese ad.

2017-10-11 13:25:32 UTC
Post by junebug
Post by RichA
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/08/news/companies/dove-apology-racist-ad/index.html
Interesting. When Michael Jackson did his "Black Or White" music video, there was a sequence where people morphed into different races, colors, and genders. Nobody complained then.
I remember something that I saw several years back that showed a
succession of pictures of Michael Jackson from his youth to his later
years. It had a caption to the effect of "America: the only country in
the world where a poor young black boy can become a rich middle-aged
white woman!" I suppose you'd need to see the pictures to get the full
effect but it really did show him becoming increasingly feminine-looking
- and whiter.