DIE NASTY
2017-10-12 04:38:32 UTC
Well, pooh muffins.

This is a really hard snark. Because, frankly, it's not that bad at
all. It's way way way way VASTLY way better than you'd have thought
from the ads, which make it look deliciously awful.

Until it starts spiraling away at the end, it's even a fairly faithful
retelling of the original story. The production is handsome, although
the image quality is too damn sharp, to the point where it looks like
video. Give me some grain and soft filtering, dammit!

The big misfire is Sammy Jo. Make Heather Locklear into a guy, and then
a GAY guy, so you're really not turned anything around?

That really old butler used to head up NCIS? Sigh.

The chauffeur is really really familiar but I can't place him.

It seemed a bit precious to make the Colbys black, until you realize
Fallon seems to have a predilection for secret romances with black guys.

I'm not sure who it's *aimed* at. Most people that remember Dynasty
won't be interested. I'm not sure that people that don't remember
Dynasty would be interested either. So it's a really narrow range in
the middle, and I wouldn't have watched if not for the snarking.

By the end of the episode they've started bringing in story elements
that wouldn't happen in the real show for years, and I think the
fracking explosion came from Dallas.

Windfarm disasters on two CW shows two nights in a row? What the Hell?

The verdict? It's not good enough to be good, and it's not bad enough
to be good, and I don't know who the audience is. The real show cast
mostly familiar faces and had some star power going for it, which this
doesn't. Barring a lot of reaction here or Ian weighing in incorrectly,
I don't think I'll be back, but I don't regret the house I spent either.
2017-10-12 04:53:09 UTC
[...]
That's a truly weak Snarknado. You have failed this newsgroup!
instinct are running screaming.
anim8rfsk
2017-10-12 06:39:01 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I know!

On the other hand, I just laid my hands on the most beautiful copy of
THE GREEN SLIME I've ever seen!
I remember watching that movie. Been a while.
anim8rfsk
2017-10-12 14:54:52 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I love that movie! It's so damn goofy.

For decades it existed in two forms: A lovely widescreen lasterdisc
from Japan without English, and a horrid 4:3 pan and scan copy in
English, with some slight scene variations between. Then some mad
genius built a fan dub putting them together, with the widescreen image
and and English audio (the movie was *shot* in English so the mouths are
right!) and he even included all the footage from both so it jumped to
the 4:3 picture when they'd truncated scenes inexplicably for the
Japanese version. That gained enough popularity that somebody finally
did a real widescreen DVD of it. And now there's a 1080 Blu-ray that's
simply gorgeous!

Sing it with me:

This is what Dynasty *could* have been if they'd tried!

Part four of the Gamma Trilogy!!
Lesmond
2017-10-13 15:25:22 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
She may contain the urge to run away
But hold her down with soggy clothes and breeze blocks
Lesmond
2017-10-13 15:26:08 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
"Veeence...don go, Veeence!"
anim8rfsk
2017-10-12 12:41:12 UTC
Well, pooh muffins.
Still haven't gotten to this yet. Not sure when I will - it may end up
being the weekend...
2017-10-12 14:45:56 UTC
Well, pooh muffins.
Still haven't gotten to this yet. Not sure when I will - it may end up
being the weekend...
YOU HAVE FAILED THIS ... wait, somebody else already said that, didn't
they?
2017-10-12 15:06:33 UTC
Well, pooh muffins.
Still haven't gotten to this yet. Not sure when I will - it may end up
being the weekend...
YOU HAVE FAILED THIS ... wait, somebody else already said that, didn't
they?
Yes. Now send me my NDA Ice Cream.
instinct are running screaming.
Rhino
2017-10-12 12:44:07 UTC
[...]
You spent a whole house watching it? Wow, you *are* a dedicated TV
viewer! ;-)

I assume that was auto-correct in action turning "hour" into "house"....
2017-10-12 14:45:25 UTC
[...]
I didn't even watch HOUSE for a whole hour!
That was a really good review. I'm sorry it wasn't more snark-worthy.
anim8rfsk
2017-10-12 14:44:50 UTC
Well, pooh muffins.
This is a really hard snark. Because, frankly, it's not that bad at
all. It's way way way way VASTLY way better than you'd have thought
from the ads, which make it look deliciously awful.
Until it starts spiraling away at the end, it's even a fairly faithful
retelling of the original story. The production is handsome, although
the image quality is too damn sharp, to the point where it looks like
video. Give me some grain and soft filtering, dammit! . . .
That was a really good review. I'm sorry it wasn't more snark-worthy.
Thanks. :)

I forgot to mention, there was an ad to 'watch real Dynasty' on the
CWSEED, whatever that is.
Obveeus
2017-10-12 15:17:43 UTC
Well, pooh muffins.
This is a really hard snark. Because, frankly, it's not that bad at
all. It's way way way way VASTLY way better than you'd have thought
from the ads, which make it look deliciously awful.
Until it starts spiraling away at the end, it's even a fairly faithful
retelling of the original story. The production is handsome, although
the image quality is too damn sharp, to the point where it looks like
video. Give me some grain and soft filtering, dammit! . . .
That was a really good review. I'm sorry it wasn't more snark-worthy.
Thanks. :)
I forgot to mention, there was an ad to 'watch real Dynasty' on the
CWSEED, whatever that is.
That is CW's online only website 'subchannel'. They have a half dozen
or so web series including VIXEN...which you should have sampled by now
since it is animated and it is ser in the same universe as all the CW
superhero shows.
anim8rfsk
2017-10-12 15:42:07 UTC
Post by Obveeus
[...]
Uh ... you *do* realize who plays Vixen?
Obveeus
I hear that she acts more animated in this version.
anim8rfsk
2017-10-12 16:37:22 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
[...]
She is so far on the NO list she can't hear NO from there.

Watch Vixen?

2017-10-12 17:52:49 UTC
Well, pooh muffins.
This is a really hard snark. Because, frankly, it's not that bad at
all. It's way way way way VASTLY way better than you'd have thought
from the ads, which make it look deliciously awful.
Why are you watching German TV shows?
2017-10-16 13:59:43 UTC
Well, pooh muffins.
This is a really hard snark. Because, frankly, it's not that bad at
all. It's way way way way VASTLY way better than you'd have thought
from the ads, which make it look deliciously awful.
Until it starts spiraling away at the end, it's even a fairly faithful
retelling of the original story. The production is handsome, although
the image quality is too damn sharp, to the point where it looks like
video. Give me some grain and soft filtering, dammit!
[snip]
My take:

Dynasty (recorded) - "I Hardly Recognized You". I largely concur with
Fred's review.
The good news? This isn't completely awful, like some of the C-Wub's
and Freeform's other offerings (e.g. see: "Riverdale"... or *don't*).
The bad news? This in no way improves on the original, and in most
ways falls well short. E.G. The biggest misfire is that they've seemed
to eliminate the possibility of "Cecil Colby"-like character - Lloyd
Bochner was one of my favorite things about the original series, so
eliminating the possibility of that type of character is a major (and
unnecessary) blunder. And, of course, we've all talked about what a
huge mistake it is to eliminate a rebooted, modern-update of "Heather
Locklear" from taking on the role of Sammy Jo - the gay male version is
barely registering here...
Of course, in other ways, it's also on par with the original - e.g.
Linda Evans certainly didn't set the world on fire as Krystal, and
Nathalie Kelley's not doing any better here as "Cristal".
As expected, the one sure-fire performer here is Elizabeth Gillies,
who's the only one injecting any life into this thing.
I'm undecided on whether to continue watching this - it's certainly
better than the "Melrose Place" reboot, but that's an incredibly low
bar to clear... I think in the end, I won't record it, but may pick up
"stray" episodes if the spirit moves me...
2017-10-16 17:39:11 UTC
Well, pooh muffins.
This is a really hard snark. Because, frankly, it's not that bad at
all. It's way way way way VASTLY way better than you'd have thought
from the ads, which make it look deliciously awful.
Until it starts spiraling away at the end, it's even a fairly faithful
retelling of the original story. The production is handsome, although
the image quality is too damn sharp, to the point where it looks like
video. Give me some grain and soft filtering, dammit!
[snip]
Dynasty (recorded) - "I Hardly Recognized You". I largely concur with
Fred's review.
Hmm. Maybe I should rethink things ...
Post by Ian J. Ball
The good news? This isn't completely awful, like some of the C-Wub's
and Freeform's other offerings (e.g. see: "Riverdale"... or *don't*).
The bad news? This in no way improves on the original, and in most
ways falls well short. E.G. The biggest misfire is that they've seemed
Yes, which goes to my 'who the Hell is this aimed at' question. Is
there really a contingent that's heard of the real Dynasty but hasn't
seen it and wants to give it a try? Oh, and I bet they aren't doing
themselves any good putting the real show on the SEED ...
Post by Ian J. Ball
to eliminate the possibility of "Cecil Colby"-like character - Lloyd
Bochner was one of my favorite things about the original series, so
eliminating the possibility of that type of character is a major (and
unnecessary) blunder. And, of course, we've all talked about what a
huge mistake it is to eliminate a rebooted, modern-update of "Heather
Locklear" from taking on the role of Sammy Jo - the gay male version is
barely registering here...
I didn't even realize who s/he was supposed to be until about 15 minutes
before the end.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Of course, in other ways, it's also on par with the original - e.g.
Linda Evans certainly didn't set the world on fire as Krystal, and
Nathalie Kelley's not doing any better here as "Cristal".
As expected, the one sure-fire performer here is Elizabeth Gillies,
who's the only one injecting any life into this thing.
That's Fallon? Then, yes. And we finally got to see her eating the
jewel encrusted banana in a full scene!
Post by Ian J. Ball
I'm undecided on whether to continue watching this - it's certainly
better than the "Melrose Place" reboot, but that's an incredibly low
bar to clear... I think in the end, I won't record it, but may pick up
"stray" episodes if the spirit moves me...
Yeah. They better do some stunt casting fast. I assume they already
have somebody in mind for Alexis.
2017-10-16 19:08:29 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
The good news? This isn't completely awful, like some of the C-Wub's
and Freeform's other offerings (e.g. see: "Riverdale"... or *don't*).
The bad news? This in no way improves on the original, and in most
ways falls well short. E.G. The biggest misfire is that they've seemed
Yes, which goes to my 'who the Hell is this aimed at' question.
It was an even bigger question with the "Melrose" reboot.

Which is why it flopped so spectacularly.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Of course, in other ways, it's also on par with the original - e.g.
Linda Evans certainly didn't set the world on fire as Krystal, and
Nathalie Kelley's not doing any better here as "Cristal".
As expected, the one sure-fire performer here is Elizabeth Gillies,
who's the only one injecting any life into this thing.
That's Fallon? Then, yes. And we finally got to see her eating the
jewel encrusted banana in a full scene!
We already got that - she ate the head off the bride on the cake decoration in the pilot... ;p
I'm undecided on whether to continue watching this - it's certainly
better than the "Melrose Place" reboot, but that's an incredibly low
bar to clear... I think in the end, I won't record it, but may pick up
"stray" episodes if the spirit moves me...
Yeah. They better do some stunt casting fast. I assume they already
have somebody in mind for Alexis.
Yeah, I've been thinking about this: they need a British actress who's about 50. I can't figure out who that could be that would get "incredible 'stunt casting'!!1!" vibe, unless they pull in Elizabeth Hurley (but she's already on E!'s "The Royals") or Kate Beckinsale (if they cheat by 5 years).

Anything short of that, and it'll be a big "WIFF!!"...
anim8rfsk
2017-10-17 01:06:39 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Emma Samms.

Courtney Thorne-Smith?

Jane Seymour?
2017-10-17 04:22:43 UTC
[...]
Only two years older than Grant Show - so, amusingly, that would work.
But I doubt she'd be interested.
Post by anim8rfsk
Courtney Thorne-Smith?
Not British. And, please, no.... :p

(Hell, if we're going that route, let's just get Laura Leighton!! :D
And if we're going to go with "American Bitch SUPREME!!1!", I think Shannen Doherty is in remission now... ;> )
Post by anim8rfsk
Jane Seymour?
She's over 10 years older than Grant Show! While I bet she'd love the part, she's too old for it...
anim8rfsk
2017-10-17 04:51:55 UTC
[...]
She seems to be one of these "do a project every year or two" actors, so
she might ...
Post by anim8rfsk
Jane Seymour?
She's over 10 years older than Grant Show! While I bet she'd love the part,
she's too old for it...
Gads, she is.

Collins was 48 when she started playing Alexis for what it's worth.