ELEMENTARY sucks
b***@my-deja.com
2018-06-05 04:37:27 UTC
Normally if a show sucks I wouldn’t write about it because, well, who cares? But this is a show I actually care about. I think Lucy Liu is terrific and Sherlock is just fine and I even like Marcus, the police detective. They’re good characters. I like the people. I want to see them in good stories. But as I pointed out to somebody this evening, as the show was just beginning, I said, “you see those two people sitting there? One of them is the killer. Could be both of them, but probably just one.” And how did I know this? Because they were characters who appeared predictably at just the right moment in the show. It’s always early. It’s always a character you wouldn’t think could possibly be involved in the murder, but guess what? Right at the very end Sherlock will pull a rabbit out of a hat and it will turn out that that person who appeared early in the show and couldn’t possibly be connected to the crime, was the killer all along. “Contrived” is a term that hardly does this show’s plots justice. “Formulaic,” certainly. “Insulting to intelligence” also comes to mind. And I hate this, because I do so want to like the show. But I can’t, really, because it is entirely too stupid. Still I keep watching. I don’t know, I just don’t know. It’s Lucy Lou, most likely.

Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Barry Margolin
2018-06-05 16:20:44 UTC
[...]
Last night's episode raised another question to me.

At some point Sherlock said something like "Normally I'd say, 'The game
is afoot', but in this case it's a hand."

Has this incarnation of Sherlock ever actually uttered Holmes's iconic
phrase?
--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA
Horace LaBadie
2018-06-05 17:33:54 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
[...]
"a-finger"
Post by Barry Margolin
Has this incarnation of Sherlock ever actually uttered Holmes's iconic
phrase?
Yes. in effect.

"A game of cat-and-mouse is afoot."
Season 2 Episode 24: "The Grand Experiment"
Adam H. Kerman
2018-06-06 01:22:56 UTC
[...]
I've observed that it's typically the character introduced at the 8
minute mark. The show is entirely forulaic. I agree with you about the
cast, which makes it watchable, and how Lucy Liu pulls off those men's
suits.

Ling was a great character.
anim8rfsk
m***@gmail.com
2018-06-06 03:22:44 UTC

It could be worse...it could be "Columbo".
~consul
2018-08-18 19:17:23 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by b***@my-deja.com
Bill Anderson
I am the Mighty Favog
It could be worse...it could be "Columbo".
I like the Columbo model. We know who the killer is and the journey is
the best part. The dance, the direction of inquiry. he villain who
thinks he is smarter than Columbo.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here,
at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."
--till next time, consul
m***@hotmail.com
That reminds me of the: "Columbo" The Bye-Bye Sky High I.Q. Murder Case - TV Episode (1977)
A Friend
2018-08-18 20:27:57 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by b***@my-deja.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by b***@my-deja.com
Bill Anderson
I am the Mighty Favog
It could be worse...it could be "Columbo".
I like the Columbo model. We know who the killer is and the journey is
the best part. The dance, the direction of inquiry. he villain who
thinks he is smarter than Columbo.
That reminds me of the: "Columbo" The Bye-Bye Sky High I.Q. Murder Case - TV Episode (1977)
The best of them, I think, was when Columbo respected his suspect, and
the best of *those* was "Any Old Port in a Storm," the 1973 one with
Donald Pleasance as the wine connoisseur.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-08-18 20:53:36 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by ~consul
Post by m***@gmail.com
It could be worse...it could be "Columbo".
I like the Columbo model. We know who the killer is and the journey is
the best part. The dance, the direction of inquiry. he villain who
thinks he is smarter than Columbo.
That reminds me of the: "Columbo" The Bye-Bye Sky High I.Q. Murder Case - TV Episode (1977)
The best of them, I think, was when Columbo respected his suspect, and
the best of *those* was "Any Old Port in a Storm," the 1973 one with
Donald Pleasance as the wine connoisseur.
Pleasance carried that episode 100%, although I loved Columbo trying to
learn something about expensive wines.

My favorite episode, of course, was the one with Robert Conrad, in which
Columbo absolutely despised his adversary.
anim8rfsk
2018-08-18 22:12:28 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by ~consul
Post by m***@gmail.com
It could be worse...it could be "Columbo".
I like the Columbo model. We know who the killer is and the journey is
the best part. The dance, the direction of inquiry. he villain who
thinks he is smarter than Columbo.
That reminds me of the: "Columbo" The Bye-Bye Sky High I.Q. Murder
Case - TV Episode (1977)
The best of them, I think, was when Columbo respected his suspect, and
the best of *those* was "Any Old Port in a Storm," the 1973 one with
Donald Pleasance as the wine connoisseur.
Pleasance carried that episode 100%, although I loved Columbo trying to
learn something about expensive wines.
My favorite episode, of course, was the one with Robert Conrad, in which
Columbo absolutely despised his adversary.
But that's because of Beth in a bikini.
2018-08-19 00:09:59 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by ~consul
Post by m***@gmail.com
It could be worse...it could be "Columbo".
I like the Columbo model. We know who the killer is and the journey is
the best part. The dance, the direction of inquiry. he villain who
thinks he is smarter than Columbo.
That reminds me of the: "Columbo" The Bye-Bye Sky High I.Q. Murder
Case - TV Episode (1977)
The best of them, I think, was when Columbo respected his suspect, and
the best of *those* was "Any Old Port in a Storm," the 1973 one with
Donald Pleasance as the wine connoisseur.
Pleasance carried that episode 100%, although I loved Columbo trying to
learn something about expensive wines.
My favorite episode, of course, was the one with Robert Conrad, in which
Columbo absolutely despised his adversary.
But that's because of Beth in a bikini.
Gretchen Corbett was a bonus, of course.

I just liked Columbo in it, for once. The schtick was toned down too.
A Friend
With Gretchen Corbett! Cute beyond all reason.
anim8rfsk
2018-08-19 05:44:49 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Post by ~consul
Post by m***@gmail.com
It could be worse...it could be "Columbo".
I like the Columbo model. We know who the killer is and the journey is
the best part. The dance, the direction of inquiry. he villain who
thinks he is smarter than Columbo.
That reminds me of the: "Columbo" The Bye-Bye Sky High I.Q. Murder
Case - TV Episode (1977)
The best of them, I think, was when Columbo respected his suspect, and
the best of *those* was "Any Old Port in a Storm," the 1973 one with
Donald Pleasance as the wine connoisseur.
Pleasance carried that episode 100%, although I loved Columbo trying to
learn something about expensive wines.
My favorite episode, of course, was the one with Robert Conrad, in which
Columbo absolutely despised his adversary.
With Gretchen Corbett! Cute beyond all reason.
Beth flavored ice cream for me!
I don’t know. To this day, I still don’t know what caused Columbo to look at which way the victims shoes were tied (of all things).
Horace LaBadie
2018-08-18 20:07:48 UTC
Post by b***@my-deja.com
Post by m***@gmail.com
Normally if a show sucks I wouldn¹t write about it because, well,
who cares? But this is a show I actually care about. I think Lucy Liu
is terrific and Sherlock is just fine and I even like Marcus, the
police detective. They¹re good characters. I like the people. I want
to see them in good stories. But as I pointed out to somebody this
evening, as the show was just beginning, I said, ³you see those two
people sitting there? One of them is the killer. Could be both of
them, but probably just one.² And how did I know this? Because they
were characters who appeared predictably at just the right moment in
the show. It¹s always early. It¹s always a character you wouldn¹t
think could possibly be involved in the murder, but guess what? Right
at the very end Sherlock will pull a rabbit out of a hat and it will
turn out that that person who appeared early in the show and couldn¹t
possibly be connected to the crime, was the killer all along.
³Contrived² is a term that hardly does this show¹s plots justice.
³Formulaic,² certainly. ³Insulting to intelligence² also comes to
mind. And I hate this, because I do so want to like the show. But
I can¹t, really, because it is entirely too stupid. Still I keep
watching. I don¹t know, I just don¹t know. It¹s Lucy Lou, most likely.
Post by m***@gmail.com
Bill Anderson
I am the Mighty Favog
It could be worse...it could be "Columbo".
I like the Columbo model. We know who the killer is and the journey is
the best part. The dance, the direction of inquiry. he villain who
thinks he is smarter than Columbo.
That's the Dr. Thorndyke formula, the inverted or reverse mystery,
created by novelist R. Austin Freeman back in 1907.
Adam H. Kerman
2018-08-18 20:49:18 UTC
Post by ~consul
Post by m***@gmail.com
It could be worse...it could be "Columbo".
I like the Columbo model. We know who the killer is and the journey is
the best part. The dance, the direction of inquiry. he villain who
thinks he is smarter than Columbo.
With Columbo, the audience never had a clue how Columbo chose his prime
suspect, other than Peter Falk looked at the list of guest stars for
that episode and knew which one was the biggest star.

The discrepency Columbo noticed at the crime scene, which we weren't
even clued in to on every episode, sure as hell didn't rule any other
suspect out as the prime suspect. A lot of the time, it didn't rule in
Columbo's prime suspect anyway.

Nobody watched Columbo for plot development.
m***@gmail.com
2018-06-14 03:28:12 UTC

I see the point others are making about the often predictability of the show, but the most recent episode (6/11/18)wasn't. The plot took an unforeseen twist half-way through, and the ending was not expected.
moviePig
2018-08-18 21:00:01 UTC
Post by b***@my-deja.com
[...]
Meanwhile, though, pity the writers whose weekly job it is to 'pull a
(new) rabbit out of the hat' that somehow fools the sentient fan who's
watched -- conservatively -- *hundreds* of rabbits and hats, and who, by
now, could probably do the trick themselves. I think it's very
difficult to fairly mislead a savvy audience -- so difficult that truly
successful instances are the stuff of legend (PSYCHO, SIXTH SENSE...).

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.
Shadow
2018-08-18 21:16:45 UTC
[...]
I usually guess the killer because he (rarely she) is the
whitest character in the episode. That with stupid, completely
illogical plots, the Chinese woman always wearing men's clothes and
screwing African Americans (any bets as to what she will adopt ?) ...
and Sherlock's hypochondria and narcissism, I can't see any future for
the series.
It's a show that died and forgot to lie down.
The first few seasons were good. Pity.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
RichA
2018-08-19 01:47:43 UTC
Problem with the latest ep. is science. It would take the time equivalent to the age of the universe to do what the guy was proposing. 14 billion years, give or take.