ELEMENTARY sucks
Add Reply
b***@my-deja.com
2018-06-05 04:37:27 UTC
Normally if a show sucks I wouldn’t write about it because, well, who cares? But this is a show I actually care about. I think Lucy Liu is terrific and Sherlock is just fine and I even like Marcus, the police detective. They’re good characters. I like the people. I want to see them in good stories. But as I pointed out to somebody this evening, as the show was just beginning, I said, “you see those two people sitting there? One of them is the killer. Could be both of them, but probably just one.” And how did I know this? Because they were characters who appeared predictably at just the right moment in the show. It’s always early. It’s always a character you wouldn’t think could possibly be involved in the murder, but guess what? Right at the very end Sherlock will pull a rabbit out of a hat and it will turn out that that person who appeared early in the show and couldn’t possibly be connected to the crime, was the killer all along. “Contrived” is a term that hardly does this show’s plots justice. “Formulaic,” certainly. “Insulting to intelligence” also comes to mind. And I hate this, because I do so want to like the show. But I can’t, really, because it is entirely too stupid. Still I keep watching. I don’t know, I just don’t know. It’s Lucy Lou, most likely.

Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Barry Margolin
2018-06-05 16:20:44 UTC
[...]
Last night's episode raised another question to me.

At some point Sherlock said something like "Normally I'd say, 'The game
is afoot', but in this case it's a hand."

Has this incarnation of Sherlock ever actually uttered Holmes's iconic
phrase?
--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA
Horace LaBadie
2018-06-05 17:33:54 UTC
Post by Barry Margolin
[...]
"a-finger"
Post by Barry Margolin
Has this incarnation of Sherlock ever actually uttered Holmes's iconic
phrase?
Yes. in effect.

"A game of cat-and-mouse is afoot."
Season 2 Episode 24: "The Grand Experiment"
Adam H. Kerman
2018-06-06 01:22:56 UTC
[...]
I've observed that it's typically the character introduced at the 8
minute mark. The show is entirely forulaic. I agree with you about the
cast, which makes it watchable, and how Lucy Liu pulls off those men's
suits.

Ling was a great character.
anim8rfsk
m***@gmail.com
2018-06-06 03:22:44 UTC

It could be worse...it could be "Columbo".
m***@gmail.com
2018-06-14 03:28:12 UTC
Post by b***@my-deja.com
[...]

I see the point others are making about the often predictability of the show, but the most recent episode (6/11/18)wasn't. The plot took an unforeseen twist half-way through, and the ending was not expected.