What Did You Watch? 2018-01-07 (Sunday)
Obveeus
2018-01-08 13:46:48 UTC
I watched:

BIG MOUTH: Episode #6 of the series. In this one, one of the side
characters is worried that he had impregnated his pillow. Meanwhile,
the two main characters take a trip into New York City where Duke
Ellington sings a song about the place.

THE MANY FACES OF ITO: Episode #3 of this Japanese comedy series. I
still have trouble telling the characters apart and figuring out what is
going on...maybe because all of the characters are so much caricature
rather than realistic people?

OUR SOULS AT NIGHT: Robert Redford and Jane Fonda star in this 2017
romcom about lonely old farts in a town filled with old farts. This
film uses a lot of silent stares as 'dialog'. The whole film takes
place in Colorado, yet all the outdoor scenes fail to show a mountain
range...even when they take a trip to the mountains to go camping. The
funniest part of this film is that Judy Greer got top billing and she is
only in the film for about a minute. Maybe this film was just done as a
tribute to the dead writer, but otherwise, it didn't seem to offer
anything much to the audience.

NFL: I watched some of the Panthers vs. Saints game. At one point, Cam
Newton ran the ball three times in a row. You'd think that after this
many years they would realize that this is professional football and not
the lesser college version of the game.

What did you watch?
Arthur Lipscomb
2018-01-08 15:27:21 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All Access) "Despite Yourself" - Jonathan
Frakes directs the series return which picks up with the Discovery in
the mirror universe. The crew quickly figures this out, and with no way
home do everything they can to blend in with the Terran Empire.
Meanwhile Lieutenant Tyler goes to the doctor for help with dealing with
what the Klingons did to him. This was a really good episode and a gift
to fans of the Mirror universe.

Shameless - "The Fugees" - Already covered.

Family Guy - "Boy(Dog) Meets Girl(Dog)" - Brian enters a show dog
competition hoping to get to breed with the winner. OK episode.

The Golden Globe Awards - I still have a few movies to catch up on. But
no complaints on who won.

Singularity (Netflix rental) - Straight rip off of Terminator Salvation.
John Cusack, I guess stars as a CEO who builds an AI called Skynet, I
mean Kronos to solve the worlds problems. Kronus which just happens to
be tied into most of the world's military decides killing all humans
will solve the worlds problems. The movie then jumps ahead a century
(don't worry that doesn't mean Cusack isn't still around as a main
character) where we meat a Terminator that thinks it's a human from the
present, built to infiltrate the human resistance and lead Skynet, I
mean Kronos to their secret hiding place. About 5 minutes in when the
movie went from near future in a city with Cusack to distance future in
open space and no tech, I thought to myself this is a totally different
movie and I bet they edited Cusack into it. Sure enough when the movie
was over I looked it up on wiki and that's exactly what they did. It
was kind of obvious since all of Cusacks scenes were shot in a city
skyscraper, even the post apocalyptic future ones, and he is always
monologist to himself or talking to one other actor. But the bulk of
the movie focuses on the Terminator who thinks he's a human from the
present, connecting with a human female love interest as they search for
the last human sanctuary.
Obveeus
2018-01-08 15:36:33 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
A budget of $100,000 probably means that they made money and had some
fun doing it. Still, the 4.5IMDB ratings tells me not to bother.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-08 17:23:25 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All Access) "Despite Yourself" - Jonathan
Frakes directs the series return which picks up with the Discovery in
the mirror universe. The crew quickly figures this out, and with no way
home do everything they can to blend in with the Terran Empire.
Meanwhile Lieutenant Tyler goes to the doctor for help with dealing with
what the Klingons did to him. This was a really good episode and a gift
to fans of the Mirror universe.
What did you watch?
Star Trek STD (the STD stands for: yeah, you got it)
The first one of these I've seen.
The Facebook announced that they were ending up in the Mirror universe
and it was in continuity with Enterprise which ... has all sorts of
problems given that Enterprise was a holonovel. Anyway, I checked it
out. Boring, wildly out of continuity with real Trek, and ... the money
is *not* on screen. Not even close. I'd put it on a par with Stargate
Universe SGU. The only reason you'd watch it is because of the name.
--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/
David Barnett
2018-01-08 21:10:14 UTC
In article <p302kr$e55$***@dont-email.me>, ***@alum.calberkeley.org
says...
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All Access) "Despite Yourself" - Jonathan
Frakes directs the series return which picks up with the Discovery in
the mirror universe. The crew quickly figures this out, and with no way
home do everything they can to blend in with the Terran Empire.
Meanwhile Lieutenant Tyler goes to the doctor for help with dealing with
what the Klingons did to him. This was a really good episode and a gift
to fans of the Mirror universe.
I watched this last night via Netflix.
I liked it too, but I was a little confused by it.
David Barnett
Ian J. Ball
2018-01-08 18:00:44 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Rupture (OuterMax) - I'll give them props for doing something somewhat
original here. This was a twist on a fairly well-known sci-fi trope (I
won't say which one, so as not to spoil it...). My main complaint is
that it took too long to get going. But this was surprisingly well cast
- Noomi Rapace, Michael Chiklis, Peter Stormare, and even Kerry Bishe.

NFL playoffs - Sunday's games went better than Saturday's games, but
it's already kind of too late - these playoffs suck.

Wanted (The Netflix) - Last two episodes of season #2. OK, this
resolved surprisingly satisfactorily. To the point where I don't see
what they can possibly do in season #3. There's really only two
when Kel Morrison's daughter/Ray Stanton's wife goes after them. I
think I'd actually prefer #1 over #2, as #2 will be too contrived...
Also, I am curious to see what happens to Det. Josh Levine now.

Darkness Rising (The Netflix) - This was very standard horror. Which is
to say it was completely unremarkable. I only watched this because
Katrina Law was in it. (Bryce Johnson from PLL (bitches!) and "Popular"
was also in this, as was Tara Holt.) But by-the-numbers plotline, and
stupid nonsensical ending.

NCIS:LA - Ecoterrorists try to blow up L.A. Meh.
It looks like the next episode will finally get back to Hetty.

Vikings (recorded) - "Homeland". Gosh, an episode without Lagertha -
that'll really pack 'em in! NOT!!
This show is still suffering from a major problem, post-Ragnar: none
of the current leads, outside of maybe Lagertha, is remotely relatable.
Ivar, especially, I just want dead, and watching this show is now a
chore until that happens.
suzeeq
2018-01-08 18:10:41 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Obveeus
[...]
Yeah I hung in with it last season, but it's not the same without
Ragnar. Ivar's a dick.
Obveeus
2018-01-08 18:48:11 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
NFL playoffs - Sunday's games went better than Saturday's games, but
it's already kind of too late - these playoffs suck.
I'm still rooting for Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Nick Foles.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Wanted (The Netflix) - Last two episodes of season #2. OK, this resolved
surprisingly satisfactorily. To the point where I don't see what they
can possibly do in season #3. There's really only two options: 1) they
do the ladies' trial, or 2) they've forced to escape when Kel Morrison's
daughter/Ray Stanton's wife goes after them. I think I'd actually prefer
If history tells us anything...
Ian J. Ball
2018-01-08 20:47:11 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by Ian J. Ball
Vikings (recorded) - "Homeland". Gosh, an episode without Lagertha -
that'll really pack 'em in! NOT!!
  This show is still suffering from a major problem, post-Ragnar: none
of the current leads, outside of maybe Lagertha, is remotely relatable.
Ivar, especially, I just want dead, and watching this show is now a
chore until that happens.
If history tells us anything...
Well, I already knew the Vikings were barbarian scum.
I don't need to be shown this over, and over, and OVER, again. I *get* it!!

:/
Obveeus
2018-01-08 20:51:12 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Obveeus
Post by Ian J. Ball
Vikings (recorded) - "Homeland". Gosh, an episode without Lagertha -
that'll really pack 'em in! NOT!!
  This show is still suffering from a major problem, post-Ragnar: none
of the current leads, outside of maybe Lagertha, is remotely relatable.
Ivar, especially, I just want dead, and watching this show is now a
chore until that happens.
If history tells us anything...
Well, I already knew the Vikings were barbarian scum.
I don't need to be shown this over, and over, and OVER, again. I *get* it!!
I must have missed the part of the show that claimed that the
English/Welsh/whatever were any better...or the French......or the
cannibals down in Africa for that matter.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-08 19:08:26 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Darkness Rising (The Netflix) - This was very standard horror. Which is
to say it was completely unremarkable. I only watched this because
Katrina Law was in it.
Was she at any point starkers?
Ian J. Ball
If you mean "nuts", actually, yes. If you mean "nekkid", then, no.
anim8rfsk
Rhino
2018-01-10 19:51:38 UTC
[...]
This thread is probably dead by now but, in case anyone is watching, I
just tried the first episode of The Chi and was pleasantly surprised by
how good it was. It strongly resembles The Wire in many respects,
especially the fact that it is predominantly about the black community
in a major city and it has crime connecting several of the plot lines
together.

This show is set in Chicago, not Baltimore, and I didn't see David
Simon's name anywhere in the credits but I have to believe he was a
major influence on the people who put this together. Since The Wire is
my all-time favourite drama, I will definitely be watching this for the
rest of its season. Futon Critic says this first season is 10 episodes.
If the quality of the rest of the season holds up, I look forward to
further seasons!
Jim G.
2018-01-11 18:16:25 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY / 1x10 / Despite Yourself

[While in unfamiliar territory, the U.S.S. Discovery crew is forced to
get creative in their next efforts to survive opposing and unprecedented
forces and return home.]

Jonathan Frakes directed this one, and I'm pretty sure that he needs to
cut back on the caffeine. Content-wise, I don't think that anyone can be
too surprised by the mirror business. And I'm sure that they are gonna
get a lot of grief from some quarters for killing off one of the gay
characters. And a black one, no less.

Grade: B
"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE
anim8rfsk
2018-01-11 21:17:09 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY / 1x10 / Despite Yourself
[While in unfamiliar territory, the U.S.S. Discovery crew is forced to
get creative in their next efforts to survive opposing and unprecedented
forces and return home.]
Jonathan Frakes directed this one, and I'm pretty sure that he needs to
cut back on the caffeine. Content-wise, I don't think that anyone can be
too surprised by the mirror business. And I'm sure that they are gonna
get a lot of grief from some quarters for killing off one of the gay
characters. And a black one, no less.
Grade: B
Oh, come on. THEY'RE IN THE MIRROR UNIVERSE. THEY'VE GOT A SPARE.
They'll do exactly what Voyager did with Harry Kim, and pretend it's
original.
Dimensional Traveler
2018-01-11 22:44:04 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY / 1x10 / Despite Yourself
[While in unfamiliar territory, the U.S.S. Discovery crew is forced to
get creative in their next efforts to survive opposing and unprecedented
forces and return home.]
Jonathan Frakes directed this one, and I'm pretty sure that he needs to
cut back on the caffeine. Content-wise, I don't think that anyone can be
too surprised by the mirror business. And I'm sure that they are gonna
get a lot of grief from some quarters for killing off one of the gay
characters. And a black one, no less.
Grade: B
Oh, come on. THEY'RE IN THE MIRROR UNIVERSE. THEY'VE GOT A SPARE.
They'll do exactly what Voyager did with Harry Kim, and pretend it's
original.
Wow, you have higher expectations for STD than I expected.
instinct are running screaming.
Jim G.
2018-01-12 02:17:27 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY / 1x10 / Despite Yourself
[While in unfamiliar territory, the U.S.S. Discovery crew is forced to
get creative in their next efforts to survive opposing and unprecedented
forces and return home.]
Jonathan Frakes directed this one, and I'm pretty sure that he needs to
cut back on the caffeine. Content-wise, I don't think that anyone can be
too surprised by the mirror business. And I'm sure that they are gonna
get a lot of grief from some quarters for killing off one of the gay
characters. And a black one, no less.
Grade: B
Oh, come on. THEY'RE IN THE MIRROR UNIVERSE. THEY'VE GOT A SPARE.
They'll do exactly what Voyager did with Harry Kim, and pretend it's
original.
I wouldn't be so sure of that spare business. The mirror universe isn't
the most cuddly; I could see it being a place where such alternative
lifestyles might meet with an early demise.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 02:49:58 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I'm assuming that in this P.C. crapfest, the evil version of the gay guy
will be straight.
Jim G.
2018-01-12 17:29:42 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I'm sure that many of the people behind this show and on this show are
PC in the typical Hollywood fashion, but, unlike a show like SUPERGIRL,
I'm just not seeing those personal beliefs making it onto the screen on
a regular basis. And since I don't follow the stars on social media and
stick instead to online stories that are related to in-show matters, I'm
not really finding anything to complain about on that front.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 20:37:28 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
[...]
And I only see the behind the scenes stuff - the true shitty people,
hating America and Americans, taking the knee, working to destroy the
legacy of Kirk and Picard. There's no one connected with STD in front
or behind the camera that I'd piss on if they were on fire.
Jim G.
2018-01-13 20:35:08 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I know. You've been quite clear on that front. :)

All I can tell you is that there has been nothing on-screen that has
taken away from Kirk's or Picard's legacies or anything to suggest that
anyone hates America. We each make our own calls, of course, but I
refuse to deny myself a decent piece of fiction that's right in my
wheelhouse just because some of the people creating it don't share my
political views. At the very least, I'd be hurting myself far more than
I'd be hurting anyone in Hollywood or Vancouver. And heck, I'd have to
give up the likes of THE THIRD MAN since I know that Orson Welles and I
weren't on the same political page. But I have every intention of
watching that one many more times in the future. And I'd also have to
give up MAGNUM, P.I. reruns since he was Robin there for a while! The
examples are just too numerous and I'm not gonna let the polarizing
effects of contemporary social media win.

I recall the stories about Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neil having countless
and very genuine and deep disagreements about things during the day, but
not letting that stop them from sharing cigars at the White House at
night. And as long as folks are no more annoying than ol' Tip was, then
I'm gonna do my best to impersonate Ronnie! And so far, I'm not seeing
anything from the Trek folks that is worse that some of the things that
Tip said!
anim8rfsk
2018-01-13 23:19:29 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by Obveeus
[...]
Then you're not paying attention.
Jim G.
2018-01-15 18:49:15 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Perhaps not, but the "taking a knee" bit that you mention is certainly
no more extreme or offensive to me than some of the things that Tip said
over the years that Ronnie disagreed with, and Ronnie still kept
inviting him to the White House. That's the difference between then and
now. Yeah, some of the details and specific issues of contention have
changed since then, but the only real change is how we deal with a
difference of opinion.

I don't agree with the knee bit any more than you do, but I don't think
that it rises to the level of cutting off ties with people who think
that way, whether we're talking about family/friends or someone involved
with a TV show. It's a difference of opinion, not an ignoring of fact.
It happens, and I'm not gonna deprive myself of entertainment as long as
the entertainment on-screen stays out of it. As such, I've heard nothing
from any of the actors' characters on STD that would indicate what their
personal opinions are in real life and there have been no clumsy
attempts to relate things on the show to current events, and that's all
that I ask for.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-15 19:59:32 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
When they're using it to advertise the show, it cease to be a show I
care to watch.
Jim G.
2018-01-16 19:56:58 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
As I understand it, the kneeling bit came up via questions asked during
a promotional interview. Questions were asked and comments were made
that then began to circulate as other outlets stole the story, as that's
how Hollywood "journalism" works. It's sad that some actors lack the
discretion or self-discipline to avoid preaching at those events, but it
happens. In any case, it continues to be an issue that falls well within
the "agree to disagree" realm for me since it's not such an extreme sort
of a stance that it's gonna get me to cut off ties with someone or
something.

If nothing else, I consider the other people who keep their mouths shut
and would suffer and potentially lose jobs if everyone boycotted shows
over one or two people who can't just shut up. It's not fair to those
innocent and circumspect people to have to pay the price because someone
else is an idiot.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-16 20:09:34 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
They put out a picture of the whole damn cast kneeling, in costume, on
the bridge set, opening night, to publicize the premiere with America
bashing.
Post by Jim G.
If nothing else, I consider the other people who keep their mouths shut
and would suffer and potentially lose jobs if everyone boycotted shows
over one or two people who can't just shut up. It's not fair to those
innocent and circumspect people to have to pay the price because someone
else is an idiot.
They're *all* idiots.
Jim G.
2018-01-17 22:07:05 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
That's news to me. I just did a search on "cast of star trek discovery
taking a knee" and all I found was one image that the actress who plays
Burnham posted to her personal Instagram account. I didn't see it there,
but in a Breitbart story since, like many sites on both sides of the
aisle, Breitbart is expert at stoking and monetizing online outrage. And
no one is in costume in the photo that I found.

In any case, I don't follow actors online and I don't follow Breitbart,
and if I saw this in my RSS feeds at the time, then I just passed right
on by since I've long since given up on going out of my way to find
things to be angry about.

I compare today's social media-driven society with that of the past and
wonder how many worthwhile shows and movies I would have missed out on
if I'd paid too much attention to the private lives and opinions of the
people making those shows and movies. Would I have passed on Star Trek:
TOS and the rest of the franchise if the Internet had been around at the
time to inform me that Roddenberry was a drug-abusing serial adulterer
and atheist who was banging not one but *two* actresses on TOS? And this
after numerous extramarital affairs while with the LAPD? Or that Shatner
pulled his share of dick moves with his co-stars, including actually
counting lines in scripts? I don't know, but I definitely find things
like that to be more offensive than someone kneeling in a private
Instagram photo in solidarity with those who see certain social
inequities. I mean, heck, there are things that I see that need
critiquing here in the U.S., too, and I'd hate to be labeled as a hater
or a basher just because I acknowledge that things aren't perfect.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
If nothing else, I consider the other people who keep their mouths shut
and would suffer and potentially lose jobs if everyone boycotted shows
over one or two people who can't just shut up. It's not fair to those
innocent and circumspect people to have to pay the price because someone
else is an idiot.
They're *all* idiots.
Idiots who keep their mouths shut don't bother me at all. As for the
others, I don't consider them to be idiots unless I have facts to
demonstrate that idiocy. And there simply are no such facts to use
against the kneelers in this instance, given that some facts support
them and some facts work against them. Which is why I continue to view
it as a difference of opinion.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-17 23:37:44 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Jesus, Jim, it's the first fucking Google hit on any reasonable search
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/25/star-trek-discovery-sonequa-takes-knee/
The talentless lying bitch lead "pointedly kneeled for an Instagram post
along with the CBS show¹s executive producer Akiva Goldsman and several
other members of the cast (such as Anthony Rapp, Michelle Yeoh, Mary
Wiseman, Mary Chieffo and Shazad Latif)." How hard was that?
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
If nothing else, I consider the other people who keep their mouths shut
and would suffer and potentially lose jobs if everyone boycotted shows
over one or two people who can't just shut up. It's not fair to those
innocent and circumspect people to have to pay the price because someone
else is an idiot.
They're *all* idiots.
Idiots who keep their mouths shut don't bother me at all. As for the
others, I don't consider them to be idiots unless I have facts to
demonstrate that idiocy.
Which they're fucking screaming at you.

Post by Jim G.
against the kneelers in this instance,
Now you're just out and out lying. I think we're done here.

Jim G.
2018-01-20 19:29:00 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Yeah, this is the same photo that I saw. Keep in mind that you said "a
picture of the whole damn cast kneeling, in costume, on the bridge set."
In reality:

1. The photo is clearly not one that includes the whole cast.
2. The photo was clearly not taken on the bridge set.
3. The people in the photo are clearly not in costume.

Despite you falsely calling me a liar below, I'm not gonna do the same
thing here.
Post by anim8rfsk
The talentless lying bitch
*sigh*

Why does this make you so angry? This isn't the first indication that
things have reached the point where everyone who disagrees with you is
automatically a liar or a bitch or both. What makes her a bitch, other
than having a vagina and not agreeing with you? Or to put it another
way, what are the lies that she's telling here?
Post by anim8rfsk
lead "pointedly kneeled for an Instagram post
along with the CBS show¹s executive producer Akiva Goldsman and several
other members of the cast (such as Anthony Rapp, Michelle Yeoh, Mary
Wiseman, Mary Chieffo and Shazad Latif)." How hard was that?
See above. And the bit that you just quoted reinforces my first point,
given that "several other members of the cast" and your original claim
of "the whole damn cast" are not the same thing.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
If nothing else, I consider the other people who keep their mouths shut
and would suffer and potentially lose jobs if everyone boycotted shows
over one or two people who can't just shut up. It's not fair to those
innocent and circumspect people to have to pay the price because someone
else is an idiot.
They're *all* idiots.
Idiots who keep their mouths shut don't bother me at all. As for the
others, I don't consider them to be idiots unless I have facts to
demonstrate that idiocy.
Which they're fucking screaming at you.
They're artsy types who navel-gaze and -- as the video included in your
link points out -- inflate their importance on the "diversity" front.
It's tedious, sure, but it's not idiotic.
Post by Jim G.
against the kneelers in this instance,
Now you're just out and out lying. I think we're done here.
There you go again. Instead of pulling this crap, why not tell me what
facts demonstrate their idiocy?
Post by Jim G.
them and some facts work against them. Which is why I continue to view
it as a difference of opinion.
I'm basically making three claims here at the end:

1. On the take-a-knee front, there are no facts that demonstrate that
the supporters of kneeling are idiots.
2. There are facts that support the opinions of the kneelers.
3. There are facts that support the opinions of those who do not support
the kneelers.