What Did You Watch? 2017-06-18 (Sunday)
Obveeus
2017-06-19 12:16:27 UTC
On Father's Day I watched:

THE GREAT WALL: A 2017 monster movie starring Matt Damon, Pedro Pascal
(NARCOS), and Willem Dafoe as white guys in northern China 'helping' a
huge Chinese army fight off alien monsters by defending THE GREAT WALL.
The writing here was horrible, filled with bad dialog and extremely
inept war tactics. The film also had a huge array of beautiful women
(led by Tian Jing) and failed to do anything in the plot with that
opportunity.

MASTERMINDS: A 2016 slacker comedy 'based upon a true story' about
southern hicks who rob an armored car company. With an all-star cast
including Zach Galifianakis, Kristen Wiig, Owen Wilson, Leslie Jones,
Jason Sudeikis, Kate McKinnon, and Ken Marino this film had all the
comedy legs it needed. Unfortunately, the characters were not very
interesting and the whole film felt more like a SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE
sketch where the cast made fun of their real life counterparts than it
did an attempt to put forth a comedic film.

What did you watch?
anim8rfsk
2017-06-19 14:05:23 UTC
Post by Obveeus
THE GREAT WALL: A 2017 monster movie starring Matt Damon, Pedro Pascal
(NARCOS), and Willem Dafoe as white guys in northern China 'helping' a
huge Chinese army fight off alien monsters by defending THE GREAT WALL.
The writing here was horrible, filled with bad dialog and extremely
inept war tactics. The film also had a huge array of beautiful women
(led by Tian Jing) and failed to do anything in the plot with that
opportunity.
Is it worth it for the pulchritude?
Post by Obveeus
MASTERMINDS: A 2016 slacker comedy 'based upon a true story' about
southern hicks who rob an armored car company. With an all-star cast
including Zach Galifianakis, Kristen Wiig, Owen Wilson, Leslie Jones,
Jason Sudeikis, Kate McKinnon, and Ken Marino this film had all the
comedy legs it needed.
It's like a list of people I wouldn't watch a movie they were in. Hey,
it actually IS a list of people I wouldn't watch a movie they were in!
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Thanks for asking!

THE LOVE BOAT (covered elsewhere)

THE CORONER (covered elsewhere)

THE OUTER LIMITS - ME-TV has dumped some Irwin Allen shows and added
this to the middle of the night line up. They showed INVISIBLE ENEMY
with Adam West (amusingly they made the 15 minute lightspeed
communication delay we were just discussing a plot point, but lessened
it to 2 minutes, pointlessly) which was a fun one, and then the
excellent THE MAN WHO WAS NEVER BORN with Martin Landau, one of the
three eps that Cameron ripped off to make THE TERMINATOR, but it's never
mentioned because it's not written by Harlan Ellison.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - ME-TV did keep this Irwin Allen show,
and foisted upon us the worst ep of the series. It's comprised almost
entirely of clips from previous eps, but it's not presented as a clip
show, it's supposed to be new action and we're not supposed to notice
they've dubbed new dialog over old footage, much of it tinted because
it's from the B&W season (which had different costumes) and that none of
the new dialog matches the action or makes sense. In a way it's like a
bizarre Whitman sampler, showing all the various highlights of the show.
It's also one of the classic 'there are only 3 crew members aboard' eps.
They cover for it by having Nelson announce they're almost out of air,
so the entire crew should shut up and stop moving except for him, Chip,
and Sharkey ... but then reports from the various repair parties keep
coming in. Huh? Meanwhile Crane is fighting stock footage of the
inside of the whale, except outside it's a jellyfish.

GOOD WITCH - I think I'll snark this separately; it's rough going.

What did you watch?
--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/
Obveeus
2017-06-19 15:05:31 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
THE GREAT WALL: A 2017 monster movie starring Matt Damon, Pedro Pascal
(NARCOS), and Willem Dafoe as white guys in northern China 'helping' a
huge Chinese army fight off alien monsters by defending THE GREAT WALL.
The writing here was horrible, filled with bad dialog and extremely
inept war tactics. The film also had a huge array of beautiful women
(led by Tian Jing) and failed to do anything in the plot with that
opportunity.
Is it worth it for the pulchritude?
Probably not. The wall looks great (though entirely unrealistic/unlike
the real lthing). The army looks great. The monsters look great. The
landscape of China looks...unrealistically ominous at times (as if it
was an alien planet). The beautiful women are never shown as anything
other than interchangeable cogs and always fully dressed (so no eye
candy element). The few other set pieces (the city, the dining hall,
and inside the wall) look like throw away CGI creations.
anim8rfsk
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-06-19 23:55:47 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I guess I tolerated it slightly more than you did. Yeah, it's not a
good movie but it's nevertheless worth watching since it at least looks
great.
BTR1701
The lead female actress was quite a biscuit. That forgives a lot.
anim8rfsk
2017-06-20 02:40:04 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
[...]
This one?

https://media.melty.fr/article-3334078-ajust_930-f1474734821/jing-tian-re
joint-pacific-rim-maelstorm.jpg

to paraphrase Joe vs the Volcano:

"She looks fake. I like it!"
BTR1701

Obveeus
You might remember her from the most recent KONG movie as well.
anim8rfsk
2017-06-20 04:19:44 UTC
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by BTR1701
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I might be trying to forget too. Who was she, a comely native?
Obveeus
2017-06-20 11:43:48 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by BTR1701
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
[...]
She was one of the landing team's scientists. I think she was the plant
expert, but whatever she was, she was vastly underutilized in that film
as well. Basically, she is being put into these big action films so
that the Asian market box office will be higher, but she isn't being
given roles that merit her ability.
anim8rfsk
Dimensional Traveler
2017-06-20 04:45:01 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Obveeus
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I remember seeing it in the theatre. I turned my brain off along with
my phone.
instinct are running screaming.
shawn
2017-06-19 14:17:04 UTC
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I watched BURN AFTER READING. That was different than I expected. It
wasn't a bad movie but it wasn't exactly laugh out loud funny as you
see various characters coming together in unexpected ways.

I also watched the latest episode of DOCTOR WHO which continued the
string of okay episodes this season. Nothing has truly wowed me but
it's still watchable.

I also rewatched/scanned through the movie 1408 just because I
couldn't remember how it ended. An interesting little horror piece
that actually had different endings depending on where you saw it. One
ending for digital media, and other endings for the theaters.
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-06-19 14:40:29 UTC
Post by Obveeus
[...]
I did some binging and watched:

Silicon Valley - "Hooli-Con" - The guys try to install malware on
innocent people's phones. I wouldn't be surprised if this series goes
down the Seinfield path and they are all sent to jail for being hateful
people.

American Gods - "Come to Jesus" - Really good season finale that
answered some questions but left a *lot* of dangling threads. Shadow
and Mr. Wednesday visit Easter (Kristin Chenoweth) on Easter to recruit
her to the cause. She is doing very well for herself worship-wise,
although she is surrounded by lots and lots of Jesus (what's the plural
of Jesus?) who over the past two millennium have been siphoning off her
followers. It was a very interesting dynamic between Easter and Jesus,
there was zero animosity between them. And they seemed to acknowledge
her as the original source of worship. The new gods show up to
intimidate Easter and with Wednesday there this cold war finally goes
hot. In spite of Wednesday and everyone's fear of Mr. World the only
one we've actually seen take out another god so far is Mr. Wednesday and
in an earlier we saw a Jesus sort of killed by "Vulcan" so presumably
it's not *that* hard. Even in this episode Technical boy implied
Bilquis could over power him. These gods really don't seem *that* hard
to kill, so why don't they just have at it. I wonder is it precisely
because they can be killed so easily or some other reason. Then again
Technical Boy posed a similar question to Mr. World a few episodes back
and Mr. Wednesday more or less did the same this one.

Degrassi (Netflix streaming) - finished out the season. Mostly
background noise. The hellmouth must be losing it's touch. Only one
kid was seriously wounded in the finale.

Dear White People (Netflix streaming) - finished out the last four
episodes of season. Episode 7 which featured a series of fantasy
segments based on various movies was really funny. The rest of the
episodes were mostly background noise but good.

Streets of Fire (blu-ray) 1984 "Rock & Roll Fable" staring Michael Paré,
Diane Lane, Rick Moranis and Willem Dafoe. Set in sort of an alternate
50s world Paré plays a soldier who is hired by Moranis to rescue Lane
from Dafoe who plays the leader of a street gang. It was OK I guess.

The Mist (blu-ray) - 2007 movie based on a Stephen King book about a
mysterious mist that rolls into a small town and traps a group of
townsfolk inside a grocery store while various giant monsters lurk about
outside. I wasn't really in the mood to watch this but nevertheless the
overall movie is really good thanks in part to the great cast which
includes Thomas Jane as a father trying to keep his son alive, Marcia
Gay Harden as the town bible thumper who sees the mist as the end of
days, Andre Braugher as a New York lawer who thinks talk of monsters is
all a hoax and William Sadler as a mechanic who doesn't believe in
monsters at first either. This holds up very well and if you've never
seen it before, do *not* let anyone spoil the ending!!!!
BTR1701
2017-06-19 14:57:20 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The Mist (blu-ray) - 2007 movie based on a Stephen King book about a
mysterious mist that rolls into a small town and traps a group of
townsfolk inside a grocery store while various giant monsters lurk about
outside. I wasn't really in the mood to watch this but nevertheless the
overall movie is really good thanks in part to the great cast which
includes Thomas Jane as a father trying to keep his son alive, Marcia
Gay Harden as the town bible thumper who sees the mist as the end of
days, Andre Braugher as a New York lawer who thinks talk of monsters is
all a hoax and William Sadler as a mechanic who doesn't believe in
monsters at first either. This holds up very well and if you've never
seen it before, do *not* let anyone spoil the ending!!!!
FYI - The ending is very different from King's novella, and when asked
about it King said he loved the movie version and wished he'd thought of
it.
shawn
2017-06-19 15:24:04 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Really? I know how the movie ends and it's a great ending with lots of
emotional impact. So how does the novella end?
BTR1701
2017-06-19 15:47:49 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by BTR1701
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
We went south. The mileposts rolled past, counting down from about
forty. When we reached Mile 1, we would be at the New Hampshire border.
Going on the turnpike was slower; a lot of the drivers hadn't wanted to
give up and there had been rear-end collisions in several places.
Several times I had to use the median strip.

At about twenty past one-- I was beginning to feel hungry-- Billy
clutched my arm. "Daddy, what's that? What's that!"

A shadow loomed out of the mist, staining it dark. It was as tall as
a cliff and coming right at us. I jammed on the brakes. Amanda, who had
been catnapping, was thrown forward.

Something came; again, that is all I can say for sure. It may have
been the fact that the mist only allowed us to glimpse things briefly
but I think it just as likely that there are certain things that your
brain simply disallows. There are things of such darkness and horror--
just, I suppose, as there are things of such great beauty-- that they
will not fit through the puny doors of perception.

It was six-legged, I know that; its skin was slaty gray that mottled
to dark brown in places. Those brown patches reminded me absurdly of the
liver spots on Mrs. Carmody's hands. Its skin was deeply wrinkled and
grooved and clinging to it were scores, hundreds, of those pinkish
"bugs" with the stalk-eyes. I don't know how big it actually was but it
passed directly over us. One of its gray, wrinkled legs smashed down
right beside my window and Mrs. Reppler said later that she could not
see the underside of its body, although she craned her neck up to look.
She saw only two Cyclopean legs going up and up into the mist like
living towers until they were lost to sight.

For the moment it was over the Scout, I had an impression of
something so big that it might have made a blue whale look the size of a
trout-- in other words, something so big that it defied the imagination.
Then it was gone, sending a seismological series of thuds back. It left
tracks in the cement of the Interstate, tracks so deep I could not see
the bottoms. Each single track was nearly big enough to drop the Scout
into.

For a moment, no one spoke. There was no sound but our breathing and
the diminishing thud of that great Thing's passage.

Then Billy said, "Was it a dinosaur, Dad? Like the bird that got into
the market?"

"I don't think so. I don't think there was ever an animal that big,
Billy. At least not on earth."

I thought of the Arrowhead Project and wondered again what crazy
damned thing they could have been doing up there.

"Can we go on?" Amanda asked timidly. "It might come back."

Yes, and there might be more up ahead. But there was no point in saying
so. We had to go somewhere. I drove on, weaving in and out between those
terrible tracks until they veered off the road.

That is what happened. Or nearly all-- there is one final thing I'll get
to in a moment. But you mustn't expect some neat conclusion. There is no
'And they escaped from the mist into the good sunshine of a new day'; or
'When we awoke, the National Guard had finally arrived'; or even that
great old standby: 'It was all a dream.'

It is, I suppose, what my father always frowningly called "an Alfred
Hitchcock ending", by which he meant a conclusion in ambiguity that
allowed the reader or viewer to make up his own mind about how things
ended. My father had nothing but contempt for such stories, saying they
were "cheap shots".

We got to this Howard Johnson's near Exit 3 as dusk began to close in,
making driving a suicidal risk. Before that, we took a chance on the
bridge that spans the Saco River. It looked badly twisted out of shape
but in the mist it was impossible to tell if it was whole or not. That
particular game we won.

But there's tomorrow to think of, isn't there?

As I write this, it is quarter to one in the morning, July the 23rd.
The storm that seemed to signal the beginning of it all was only four
days ago. Billy is sleeping in the lobby on a mattress that I dragged
out for him. Amanda and Mrs. Reppler are close by. I am writing by the
light of a big Delco flashlight and outside the pink bugs are ticking
and thumping off the glass. Every now and then there is a louder thud as
one of the birds takes one off.

The Scout has enough gas to take us maybe another 90 miles. The
alternative is to try to gas up here; there is an Exxon out on the
service island and although the power is off, I believe I could siphon
some up from the tank. But--

But it means being outside.

If we can get gas-- here or further along-- we'll keep going. I have
a destination in mind now, you see. It's that last thing I wanted to
tell you about.

I couldn't be sure. That is the thing, the damned thing. It might
have been my imagination, nothing but wish fulfillment. And even if not,
it is such a long chance. How many miles? How many bridges? How many
things that would love to tear up my son and eat him even as he screamed
in terror and agony?

The chances are so good that it was nothing but a daydream that I
haven't told the others... at least, not yet.

In the manager's apartment I found a large battery-operated
multi-band radio. From the back of it, a flat antenna wire led out
through the window. I turned it on, switched over to BAT, fiddled with
the tuning dial, with the SQUELCH knob, and still got nothing but static
or dead silence.

And then, at the far end of the AM band, just as I was reaching for
the knob to turn it off, I thought I heard-- or dreamed I heard-- one
single word.

There was no more. I listened for an hour but there was no more. If
there was that one word, it came through some minute shift in the
damping mist, an infinitesimal break that momentarily closed again.

One word.

I've got to get some sleep... if I can sleep and not be haunted until
daybreak by the faces of Ollie Weeks and Mrs. Carmody and Norm the
bag-boy... and by Steff's face, half-shadowed by the wide brim of her
sunhat.

There is a restaurant here, a typical HoJo restaurant with a dining
room and a long, horseshoe-shaped lunch counter. I am going to leave
these pages on the counter and perhaps someday someone will find them
and read them.

One word.

If I only really heard it. If only.

I'm going to bed now. But first I'm going to kiss my son and whisper
two words in his ear. Against the dreams that may come, you know.

Two words that sound a bit alike.

One of them is Hartford.

The other is hope.
shawn
2017-06-20 01:32:59 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by BTR1701
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
The Mist (blu-ray) - 2007 movie based on a Stephen King book about a
FYI - The ending is very different from King's novella, and when asked
about it King said he loved the movie version and wished he'd thought of
it.
Really? I know how the movie ends and it's a great ending with lots of
emotional impact. So how does the novella end?
snipped story segment

Thanks for the post
Micky DuPree
2017-07-03 00:51:22 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
American Gods - "Come to Jesus" - Really good season finale that
answered some questions but left a *lot* of dangling threads.
[....]
In spite of Wednesday and everyone's fear of Mr. World the only one
we've actually seen take out another god so far is Mr. Wednesday and
in an earlier we saw a Jesus sort of killed by "Vulcan" so presumably
it's not *that* hard. Even in this episode Technical boy implied
Bilquis could over power him. These gods really don't seem *that*
hard to kill, so why don't they just have at it. I wonder is it
precisely because they can be killed so easily or some other reason.
Then again Technical Boy posed a similar question to Mr. World a few
episodes back and Mr. Wednesday more or less did the same this one.
I was disappointed that they didn't run into Prosperity Gospel Jesus
with gold chains, sunglasses, and hos, arriving in a Maserati.

I was wondering why the New Gods didn't offer to team up with the Old
Gods to give the latter an electronic platform to become worshipped all
over again. Win-win.

-Micky
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-07-04 06:00:44 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
LOL!!!
Post by Micky DuPree
I was wondering why the New Gods didn't offer to team up with the Old
Gods to give the latter an electronic platform to become worshipped all
over again. Win-win.
But they did! That's precisely the deal they've been offering the old
gods. Bilquis and Vulcan signed up with the new gods. They referenced
Santa Clause as cashing in with them too. They offered Mr. Wednesday
the same deal. Remember Mr. World said something about naming a North
Korean missile "The Odin" so he would gain millions of new followers
when it nuked North Korea. At least I think they were planning to nuke
North Korea (or let NK nuke some other country) in order to kill
millions and gain him a new following.
-Micky
Micky DuPree
2017-07-16 08:34:08 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
American Gods - "Come to Jesus"
I was wondering why the New Gods didn't offer to team up with the Old
Gods to give the latter an electronic platform to become worshipped
all over again. Win-win.
But they did! That's precisely the deal they've been offering the old
gods. Bilquis and Vulcan signed up with the new gods. They
referenced Santa Clause as cashing in with them too. They offered Mr.
Wednesday the same deal. Remember Mr. World said something about
naming a North Korean missile "The Odin" so he would gain millions of
new followers when it nuked North Korea. At least I think they were
planning to nuke North Korea (or let NK nuke some other country) in
order to kill millions and gain him a new following.
I must have glazed over at that part. I remember the New Gods making a
pitch of some sort, but the details aren't sounding familiar.

I don't see how Wednesday thinks he's going to get a lot of people to
worship Odin in the 21st century without benefit of digital
communication.

And on a more meta level, why Odin? Why not Zeus, for example?

-Micky
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-07-23 07:49:26 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
American Gods - "Come to Jesus"
[...]
He's stubborn that way. ;-)
Post by Micky DuPree
And on a more meta level, why Odin? Why not Zeus, for example?
Because he *is* Odin.

Zeus is a different God. I don't think we met any of the Greek Gods.
Maybe next season.

Or if you mean why did the show go with Odin instead of Zeus, I guess
that's the way it was in the book. You'd have to track down Neil Gaiman
and ask him why.
-Micky
Ian J. Ball
2017-06-19 17:46:29 UTC
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Wynonna Earp (recorded) - "Shed Your Skin". This was better than the
season premiere, as the show has settled back into the more "jokey"
Case of the Week format. This episode also introduced what looks to be
two S2 recurring characters - Dani Kind as an old HS chum of Wynonna's,
and Tamara Duarte as some kind of mysterious cohort of Doc's.
Still, is this show going to end up pulling a "Florence Faivre on
"The Expanse"" here?! - Are they really going to credit Shamier
Anderson for the whole season when he's only going to appear in, like,
1 or 2 episodes?! What? - Is he off filming a movie, or something?!!

golf - Brooks Koepka ran away with the U.S. Open at Erin Hills, Wis. in
its final round, which ended up being anti-climactic... :|

Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures (recorded) - "A New Home".
Disappointing. What made season #1 so good is that it was a mix of the
silly, and the serious. But, this season, without Naare around to keep
things tethered to some kind of emotional "grounding", season #2 looks
to be pure "slapstick". I hope this was just a 'one-off' bad episode,
and the rest of the season isn't like this, as that's not what I signed
up for... :/

Dark Matter (recorded) - "Welcome to the Revolution". Geezus. I can't
tell you how many times I've seen this, but the number one thing that
will kill a TV show is cast instability/upheaval. And exactly that is
continuing to dog this show...
In this one, we seemingly lose Six, for good. Do they really think
this show can survive with just Two, Three and Five (and Android)?! It
was bad enough when One was lost. Then they turned Four into the show's
villain. Now they look to have lost Roger Cross (*and* David Hewlett as
recurring?!).
I have to be honest - I'm seriously starting to lose patience with
this show - I'll give them this season to turn this around. But the way
things are looking now, I'm not sure they can turn this show around
anymore... >:/

A Surrogate's Nightmare (recorded off LMN, I think) - This actually
ended up not as bad as I was expecting. Co-starring Emily Tennant
certainly helped... But depsite the fact that we knew who the "Big Bad"
was pretty much from the get-go (it was clear from the start that "The
Original's" Steven Krueger was a red herring ont his front...), this
wasn't too bad. And I did not see the little "twist" they sprung on us
at the end coming... Not bad.

Recorded for later: Just another episode of "Fear the Walking Dead"
that I'm hoping I'll never have to watch!
--
"His compassion killed him." - Dr. Sabine Lommers, in
shawn
2017-06-19 19:02:01 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Dark Matter (recorded) - "Welcome to the Revolution". Geezus. I can't
tell you how many times I've seen this, but the number one thing that
will kill a TV show is cast instability/upheaval. And exactly that is
continuing to dog this show...
In this one, we seemingly lose Six, for good. Do they really think
this show can survive with just Two, Three and Five (and Android)?! It
was bad enough when One was lost. Then they turned Four into the show's
villain. Now they look to have lost Roger Cross (*and* David Hewlett as
recurring?!).
I fully expect Roger Cross to be back before long given the
mercenaries that Four is sending out after the crew of the Raza.
Jim G.
2017-06-22 18:40:17 UTC
Post by shawn
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
Dark Matter (recorded) - "Welcome to the Revolution". Geezus. I can't
tell you how many times I've seen this, but the number one thing that
will kill a TV show is cast instability/upheaval. And exactly that is
continuing to dog this show...
In this one, we seemingly lose Six, for good. Do they really think
this show can survive with just Two, Three and Five (and Android)?! It
was bad enough when One was lost. Then they turned Four into the show's
villain. Now they look to have lost Roger Cross (*and* David Hewlett as
recurring?!).
I fully expect Roger Cross to be back before long given the
mercenaries that Four is sending out after the crew of the Raza.
I'm pretty sure that Cross is contractually obligated to appear in every
skiffy series that comes out of Canada. As such, I'm assuming that DM is
giving him some time off to honor those obligations. :)
“This is where you end up when your parents don't tell you they love
you.” – Clive Babineaux, iZOMBIE
Ian J. Ball
2017-06-23 02:19:37 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
[...]
That may be good for Cross. But it's very, very bad for "Dark Matter".
This show has not had a stable cast to tell a story since season #1.
It's seriously hampering the show.

Like I said, I'm losing patience with this. We don't have these kinds
of issues with, say, "Killjoys", or even "The Expanse"...
--
"His compassion killed him." - Dr. Sabine Lommers, in
Jim G.
2017-06-23 19:23:58 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Jim G.
Post by shawn
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Obveeus
What did you watch?
[...]
The problem for me is that Cross and the Asian guy are two of my three
faves from the outset. The way that things are going, I expect the "kid"
to go away soon, too.
Dimensional Traveler
2017-06-19 20:26:53 UTC
Recorded for later: Just another episode of "Fear the Walking Dead" that
I'm hoping I'll never have to watch!
Then why the bleep did you record it?
instinct are running screaming.
Ian J. Ball
2017-06-19 20:29:56 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Recorded for later: Just another episode of "Fear the Walking Dead" that
I'm hoping I'll never have to watch!
Then why the bleep did you record it?
It's "backup programming".

I've come close a couple of times this summer of having no 1-hour (or 30-minute!) shows left on my DVR to watch while I eat. So I'm keeping FtWD around in case that happens again...
Arthur Lipscomb
2017-06-19 23:58:22 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Recorded for later: Just another episode of "Fear the Walking Dead" that
I'm hoping I'll never have to watch!
Then why the bleep did you record it?
It's "backup programming".
I've come close a couple of times this summer of having no 1-hour (or 30-minute!) shows left on my DVR to watch while I eat. So I'm keeping FtWD around in case that happens again...
I record stuff all the time that I have no real intention of watching.
Right now I'm trying to decide what blu-ray to watch even though I have
several movies on my DVR I could watch instead. But they will sit on my
DVR for another day or week or two then get deleted which is the proper
way of the world. ;-)
suzeeq
2017-06-20 02:31:24 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Recorded for later: Just another episode of "Fear the Walking Dead" that
I'm hoping I'll never have to watch!
Then why the bleep did you record it?
It's "backup programming".
I've come close a couple of times this summer of having no 1-hour (or 30-minute!) shows left on my DVR to watch while I eat. So I'm keeping FtWD around in case that happens again...
Reading usenet is what you do while you're eating...
way of the world. ;-)
Ian J. Ball
2017-06-20 04:51:04 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Ian J. Ball
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Recorded for later: Just another episode of "Fear the Walking Dead" that
I'm hoping I'll never have to watch!
Then why the bleep did you record it?
It's "backup programming".
I've come close a couple of times this summer of having no 1-hour (or
30-minute!) shows left on my DVR to watch while I eat. So I'm keeping
FtWD around in case that happens again...
Reading usenet is what you do while you're eating...
No, that would be very inconvenient (for replying) - I usually read
usenet/internet stuff before I have breakfast (or, later, lunch, etc.).
b***@gmail.com
Imagine pro-Trump hate radio being the only deal left in town.
Tony Calguire
2017-06-19 23:45:40 UTC
Post by Ian J. Ball
Dark Matter (recorded) - "Welcome to the Revolution". Geezus. I can't
tell you how many times I've seen this, but the number one thing that
will kill a TV show is cast instability/upheaval. And exactly that is
continuing to dog this show...
In this one, we seemingly lose Six, for good. Do they really think
this show can survive with just Two, Three and Five (and Android)?! It
was bad enough when One was lost.
What DID happen with One, anyway? I went looking around various websites
last year, but I never found a reason why the actor left the show and the
character (characters, I should say) was killed. I hope that wasn't
planned all along. That would have been terrible writing.

Six will be back, I'm sure. Roger Cross is never too far away from a
Vancouver film set. It's like invisible fencing.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Recorded for later: Just another episode of "Fear the Walking Dead"
that I'm hoping I'll never have to watch!
It was one of the best episodes of either WD series. Ruben Blades is a
trans-national treasure. You'll hate it.