[OT] Covid - 20% Of Chicagoans Asymptomatic
2020-10-11 16:40:35 UTC
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-covid-coronavirus-study-antibody/6898324/
October 9, 2020

Preliminary results of Northwestern University blood test study conclude 20% of Chicagoans carry COVID-19 antibodies

CHICAGO (WLS) -- While COVID testing has become more widespread than a few months ago, it still not enough to paint an accurate picture on how many people have been exposed to the virus.

Preliminary results of a Northwestern University blood test study conclude 20% of Chicagoans carry the antibodies to the coronavirus.

"The huge majority of the people we are dealing with by in large didn't have any symptoms at all or, if they did, only mild symptoms," said Dr. Elizabeth McNally, Director of Genetic Medicine at Northwestern School of Medicine.

Northwestern took blood spot samples from residents in 10 Chicago zip codes. Neighborhoods were divided up in pairings with high COVID-19 cases in some and lower cases in others.

"There are different rates of COVID infection diagnoses, but the rate of the infection based on antibody tests didn't differ a lot," said Thomas McDade, PhD-Northwestern University Researcher.

The 20% rate was consistent in every zip code as well as tests being done on Northwestern Medical School workers.

"What we think this means is there is a lot more exposure to this than people are aware of," McNally said.

What researchers don't know is whether the people had enough of the positive virus to pass it on to other people.

The simple home blood prick test being used for this study is much more sensitive and accurate than commercial antibody tests that were developed months ago using very sick COVID patients.

"It was important to have a test that works for the lower level of antibody that we see in the community," McNally said.

Northwestern is in the process of expanding the study to include all Chicago zip codes, the goal is to have 10,000 participants and keep them in the study long enough to determine how long antibodies last.

McDade said, "The $64,000 dollar question is people who have been exposed that did not lead to clinical case of disease, will they have protection?"

Reachers said understanding antibody protection is key until a vaccine is widely available.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-10-11 18:32:56 UTC
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-covid-coronavirus-study-antibody/6898324/
October 9, 2020
Preliminary results of Northwestern University blood test study conclude
20% of Chicagoans carry COVID-19 antibodies
Where the fuck do you declare "asymptomatic"? It's an exposure study.
They didn't study who had symptoms.

In fact if you read the article, some exhibited mild symptoms.

They made no determination of how many people without overt symptoms
were superspreaders. Uh, Ed: Superspreading is a symptom of being sick,
even if the patient lacks overt flu-like symptoms.

My problem with some of the reporting on this is that there was
confusion over how many people were sick versus exposed. One can develop
antibodies from exposure without ever getting sick. That's not a
deterimination of immunity, either, just exposure.

I'm also questioning why it's not closer to 50%. How did so many people
avoid exposure?
. . .
Ed Stasiak
2020-10-11 20:53:17 UTC
"The huge majority of the people we are dealing with by in large didn't have any symptoms
at all or, if they did, only mild symptoms,” said Dr. Elizabeth McNally, Director of Genetic
Medicine at Northwestern School of Medicine.
Where the fuck do you declare "asymptomatic"? It's an exposure study.
They didn't study who had symptoms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptomatic

“In medicine, a disease is considered asymptomatic if a patient is a carrier for a disease
or infection but experiences no symptoms. A condition might be asymptomatic if it fails
to show the noticeable symptoms with which it is usually associated. Asymptomatic
infections are also called subclinical infections. Other diseases might be considered
subclinical if they present some but not all of the symptoms required for a clinical
diagnosis.”
moviePig
On behalf of English, I'm annoyed that 'asymptomatic' means you're sick.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-10-12 00:51:20 UTC
"The huge majority of the people we are dealing with by in large
didn't have any symptoms
at all or, if they did, only mild symptoms,” said Dr. Elizabeth
McNally, Director of Genetic
Medicine at Northwestern School of Medicine.
Where the fuck do you declare "asymptomatic"? It's an exposure study.
They didn't study who had symptoms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptomatic
“In medicine, a disease is considered asymptomatic if a patient is a carrier for a disease
or infection but experiences no symptoms. . . .
Fair enough. I'm still objecting to the way you characterized it. It
doesn't say that 20% of Chicagoans are projected to have been sick.

Are you going to acknowledge my point or keep cutting my quotes that you
don't want to address? Don't answer; that's rhetorical.
Ed Stasiak
2020-10-12 20:44:56 UTC
“In medicine, a disease is considered asymptomatic if a patient is
a carrier for a disease or infection but experiences no symptoms. . . .
Fair enough. I'm still objecting to the way you characterized it. It
doesn't say that 20% of Chicagoans are projected to have been sick.
Correct, because that’s what "asymptomatic" means.
I’ve already addressed your (incorrect) point.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-10-13 00:54:19 UTC
"In medicine, a disease is considered asymptomatic if a patient is
a carrier for a disease or infection but experiences no symptoms. . . .
Fair enough. I'm still objecting to the way you characterized it. It
doesn't say that 20% of Chicagoans are projected to have been sick.
Correct, because that’s what "asymptomatic" means.
Doofus, if you are capable of spreading the disease, YOU ARE SICK.
Are you going to acknowledge my point or keep cutting my quotes
that you don't want to address?
I've already addressed your (incorrect) point.
It's fucking Usenet and you're too much of a coward to argue without
acting like a jerk. Even if your argument is wrong, it's fucking Usenet
and there aren't any real world consequences.

Fuckhead

What is wrong with you?
Capt. Trumpo
2020-10-18 03:56:09 UTC
?In medicine, a disease is considered asymptomatic if a patient is a carrier for a disease
or infection but experiences no symptoms. A condition might be asymptomatic if it fails
to show the noticeable symptoms with which it is usually associated. Asymptomatic
infections are also called subclinical infections. Other diseases might be considered
subclinical if they present some but not all of the symptoms required for a clinical
diagnosis.?
Scientists say that the Wuhan Flu is a big hoax to make Trump look bad
and that we gotta keep going to his rallies without masks.
BTR1701
2020-10-11 20:19:54 UTC
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-covid-coronavirus-study-antibody/6898324/
October 9, 2020
Preliminary results of Northwestern University blood test study conclude
20% of Chicagoans carry COVID-19 antibodies
The WHO says that up to 750 million people worldwide have likely been
infected, which is a staggeringly higher number than the 37 million
confirmed cases.

If that number is true, that makes this disease one of the least deadly
that humanity has encountered.
trotsky
2020-10-12 11:31:05 UTC
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-covid-coronavirus-study-antibody/6898324/
October 9, 2020
Preliminary results of Northwestern University blood test study conclude
20% of Chicagoans carry COVID-19 antibodies
The WHO says that up to 750 million people worldwide have likely been
infected, which is a staggeringly higher number than the 37 million
confirmed cases.
If that number is true, that makes this disease one of the least deadly
that humanity has encountered.
If that helps you, it still won't stop Repugs from losing elections by
the gross for being horribly incompetent bastards vis a vis the pandemic
response. I mean, how long is your complete and utter lack of testicles
going to make dance effeminately around the 800 lb gorilla in the room?
You lack the motherfucking balls to call out any of your fucked up right
wing brethren on this and the reason you don't have the balls to respond
to me is because I will NEVER let you change topics to one of your
stupidly fucked up straw man arguments. E-V-E-R. Grow a pair and
address the topic properly or I will really let loose on you.
RichA
Holy cow! NOW who is lying!!! You are the KING of topic-changers.
trotsky
2020-10-12 18:22:50 UTC
[...]
Rich, you're stupid as fuck. Always have been. You're worthless piece
of shit brain will never keep up. Don't you have some commas to abuse?
RichA
2020-10-12 01:26:11 UTC
Just more proof it's not nearly as deadly as has been stated. If they could somehow test everyone in short-order, just like with a flu, it's possible 1/3-1/2 of the country has had it.
trotsky
2020-10-12 11:58:14 UTC
Just more proof it's not nearly as deadly as has been stated.
It seems like you've sucked a lot of dicks to try and get guys to
believe this lie.
Capt. Trumpo
2020-10-18 03:52:00 UTC
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-covid-coronavirus-study-antibody/6898324/
October 9, 2020
Trump says it's a hoax by the jews. Nobody's going to get sick if
they vote for Trump.
alvey
2020-10-18 06:06:38 UTC
Post by Capt. Trumpo
Post by Ed Stasiak
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-covid-coronavirus-study-antibody/6898324/
October 9, 2020
Trump says it's a hoax by the jews. Nobody's going to get sick if
they vote for Trump.
Yeah!!! They were already ill...

alvey