What Did You Watch? 2018-01-11 (Thursday)
2018-01-12 14:00:38 UTC

VANDERPUMP RULES:
"Sex, Lies and Audiotape". Jax convinces Brittany to host a
housewarming party in an attempt to prove their relationship is
mended, but the evening devolves into madness when a devastating
audio recording surfaces. Lisa and Katie take Schwartz to task after
his latest drunken blackout, while Kristen must tell Scheana that
her boyfriend Rob may not be as perfect as he seems. Finally, Ariana
reveals the heartbreaking reason for her body image struggles.

STAR TREK: INSURRECTION:
Nothing better was on, so I watched the begining up to the part I
missed. It still sucked, and I have no idea why singing a gay Woods
and Bernstein musical pirate number would heepnotise Data long
enough to stop him from attacking them or hot the hell he would
function with memory loss but his "sense of right and wrong" being
left intact.

icebreaker
2018-01-12 15:12:20 UTC
SEAL Team (CBS) -- deals with a prison uprising.

Chicago Fire (NBC) -- In this boring episode, Brett's roomies try to
figure out who she is dating. Brett disappoints Antonio this time
around. Dawson dallies with the young girl she rescued from the
burning building last time with the drugs. She learns her father is a
druggie. The girl calls Dawson to her apartment when her father falls
ill from coming off drugs. The girl disappears from the hospital when
social services shows up. Dawson and Severide go looking for her.
Boden has to deal with his wife's brother. Casey is miffed with
Dawson's failure to communicate with him. Like I said, very boring.

Death in Paradise (BBC) -- A poker player drops dead at a poker
tournament. Florence has an injured leg, so Dwayne dresses in a suit
and accompanied the DS during the investigation.

Next of Kin (ITV) -- The Pakistani family of a UK doctor, Mona,
(Archie Punjabi) is planning a surprise party for her brother's return
from, I think, Pakistan, where he worked for a doctors without borders
type group. The doorbell rings, but it's not the brother but a DS from
London Metro informing him that the brother has gone missing. In the
background is a terrorist attack in West London that's just occurred
that afternoon. Also adding to the mystery is that the brother's son
is missing from university and hasn't been seen there in weeks. Then a
youtube video appears that shows the hooding and execution of the
brother. Metro then descends on the brother's wife and kids in London
confiscating all sorts of things for examination. Mona is a
take-charge type of woman and she charges ahead to find out what
happened and why. She gets a new cellphone number from her mother and
talks to the missing son who is in, I think, Pakistan. This is only a
6-parter so I'll continue with it. It also stars Jack Davenport as
Mona's posh husband.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 15:41:11 UTC
Post by icebreaker
Death in Paradise (BBC) -- A poker player drops dead at a poker
tournament. Florence has an injured leg, so Dwayne dresses in a suit
and accompanied the DS during the investigation.
I was right, I really miss the daughter. I thought they might do
something with the guest star daughter losing her father connecting with
our hero but they didn't. Apparently the new roommates will continue
into next week. The Chief is a real jerk so far this year. I wonder if
cutie detective really hurt her lovely leg?
2018-01-12 16:13:35 UTC
The Good Place - "Best Self" - Michael comes up with a plan for everyone
to escape to the real Good Place but things don't go exactly as planned.
OK episode.

9-1-1 - "Let Go" - Second episode about first responders. I guess I was
one of the few who actually liked the pilot, and I also liked the second
episode. If anything I thought the second episode was even better. It
started out with a bang, dealing with a malfunctioning roller coaster (a
personal fear of mine!) then moving on to a new story each segment.

The Stolen (Netflix rental) - Alice Eve stars as a British woman who
moves with her husband to New Zealand during (I think) the 1800s. Her
husband is murdered and her baby son kidnapped, but the police don't
have any leads. However, after she receives a ransom demand for her
baby she goes after the men responsible herself. This was perfectly
*OK*. It was bad but never really rose to good either. It was
extremely predictable, but not in a bad way. Just pure OK, and nothing
more.

The Post (theatrical) Steven Spielberg film staring Meryl Streep as the
owner of what at the time was a small local paper, who is pressured by
her paper's editor (Tom Hanks) to publish the top secret "Pentagon
Papers." It was pretty good.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 20:47:18 UTC
The Stolen (Netflix rental) - Alice Eve stars as a British woman who
moves with her husband to New Zealand during (I think) the 1800s.
The Interweb says 1860s.
icebreaker
2018-01-12 21:35:01 UTC
Post by icebreaker
Death in Paradise (BBC) -- A poker player drops dead at a poker
tournament. Florence has an injured leg, so Dwayne dresses in a suit
and accompanied the DS during the investigation.
I was right, I really miss the daughter. I thought they might do
something with the guest star daughter losing her father connecting with
our hero but they didn't. Apparently the new roommates will continue
into next week. The Chief is a real jerk so far this year. I wonder if
cutie detective really hurt her lovely leg?
He did talk to the daughter on the phone and she was mentioned so
maybe she will be back from time to time. How is it that he lives in a
shack while the rest live in decent housing? I thought maybe Florence
had another gig and they injured her to allow her to sit out, but
since she came to the station she probably was injured. I can't think
they wanted to highlight Dwayne.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 22:24:11 UTC
Post by icebreaker
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by icebreaker
Death in Paradise (BBC) -- A poker player drops dead at a poker
tournament. Florence has an injured leg, so Dwayne dresses in a suit
and accompanied the DS during the investigation.
I was right, I really miss the daughter. I thought they might do
something with the guest star daughter losing her father connecting with
our hero but they didn't. Apparently the new roommates will continue
into next week. The Chief is a real jerk so far this year. I wonder if
cutie detective really hurt her lovely leg?
He did talk to the daughter on the phone and she was mentioned so
maybe she will be back from time to time.
Actually he's only talking to her voice mail.

How is it that he lives in a
Post by icebreaker
shack while the rest live in decent housing?
That's the official residence of the head of the police force. All the
leads have lived there. Complete with lizard!

I thought maybe Florence
Post by icebreaker
had another gig and they injured her to allow her to sit out, but
since she came to the station she probably was injured.
Yep

I can't think
Post by icebreaker
they wanted to highlight Dwayne.
Hey, he's the only original castmember!

And he gets featured again next week.
2018-01-12 23:30:39 UTC
Post by icebreaker
Post by icebreaker
shack while the rest live in decent housing?
That's the official residence of the head of the police force. All the
leads have lived there. Complete with lizard!
Sounds like the lizard may be the actual head of the police force.
instinct are running screaming.
suzeeq
2018-01-12 23:50:56 UTC
Post by icebreaker
Post by icebreaker
they wanted to highlight Dwayne.
Hey, he's the only original castmember!
Nope, the lizard is too. And the police commander or whatever his title is.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-13 03:19:40 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by icebreaker
Post by anim8rfsk
And he gets featured again next week.
"He's the only original regular"
Connor
2018-01-13 00:27:33 UTC
Post by icebreaker
Post by icebreaker
shack while the rest live in decent housing?
That's the official residence of the head of the police force. All the
leads have lived there. Complete with lizard!
Love the lizard! Why would anybody complain about the Detective living there?? Its right on the beach! Not a "shack."

I didn't know DiP was back. WIll have to check local PBS station. We heard that they changed detectives again.
Pete
2018-01-13 00:37:13 UTC
Post by Connor
I didn't know DiP was back. WIll have to check local PBS station. We
heard that they changed detectives again.
It's only back on the BBC (:-() I think everyone else is watching it
on the Dark Web...

I assume it's likely to show up on PBS fairly soon, though. (Did last
season.)

-- Pete --
Connor
Oh, TVGuide says "NEW" next Wednesday. That's wrong?
Pete
2018-01-13 07:31:59 UTC
Post by Connor
Post by Pete
Post by Connor
I didn't know DiP was back. WIll have to check local PBS station. We
heard that they changed detectives again.
It's only back on the BBC (:-() I think everyone else is watching it
on the Dark Web...
I assume it's likely to show up on PBS fairly soon, though. (Did last
season.)
-- Pete --
Oh, TVGuide says "NEW" next Wednesday. That's wrong?
I dunno... It's not new here (SF BAy Area) It shows on Wednesdays
here, too, but next week it's "Stumped in Murder" which is from last
season. If they complete that series, the new season won't start for
another month or so.

It's not distributed by PBS -- each station picks it up individually
(though ours was apparently the first to latch on to Season 1). Maybe
you're extra lucky...!

-- Pete --
Connor
2018-01-13 17:56:08 UTC
Post by Pete
Post by Connor
Post by Pete
Post by Connor
I didn't know DiP was back. WIll have to check local PBS station. We
heard that they changed detectives again.
It's only back on the BBC (:-() I think everyone else is watching it
on the Dark Web...
I assume it's likely to show up on PBS fairly soon, though. (Did last
season.)
-- Pete --
Oh, TVGuide says "NEW" next Wednesday. That's wrong?
I dunno... It's not new here (SF BAy Area) It shows on Wednesdays
here, too, but next week it's "Stumped in Murder" which is from last
season. If they complete that series, the new season won't start for
another month or so.
It's not distributed by PBS -- each station picks it up individually
(though ours was apparently the first to latch on to Season 1). Maybe
you're extra lucky...!
-- Pete --
We are in the Bay Area too. TV Guide says: NEW EPISODE Wednesday Jan 17th, 9:33 PM on KQED+ 10, 57 min 2017 TV-PG

The president of the Saint Marie cricket club is found shot dead in the middle of the team's ground.
suzeeq
2018-01-13 18:07:18 UTC
Post by Connor
Post by Pete
Post by Connor
Post by Pete
Post by Connor
[...]
See it says it's a 2017 release and it's from last season. It's 'new' to
KQED.
Pete
2018-01-13 20:55:07 UTC
Post by Connor
Post by Connor
Post by Pete
Post by Connor
Post by Pete
Post by Connor
I didn't know DiP was back. WIll have to check local PBS station. We
heard that they changed detectives again.
It's only back on the BBC (:-() I think everyone else is watching it
on the Dark Web...
I assume it's likely to show up on PBS fairly soon, though. (Did last
season.)
-- Pete --
Oh, TVGuide says "NEW" next Wednesday. That's wrong?
I dunno... It's not new here (SF BAy Area) It shows on Wednesdays
here, too, but next week it's "Stumped in Murder" which is from last
season. If they complete that series, the new season won't start for
another month or so.
We are in the Bay Area too.
Heh -- seem to be a lot of us! (:-))
Post by Connor
The president of the Saint Marie cricket club is found shot dead in
the middle of the team's ground.
Yep -- that's "Stumped in Murder".
Post by Connor
See it says it's a 2017 release and it's from last season. It's 'new' to
KQED.
Well, I thought KQED had shown all the eps from last season -- I certainly
saw the concluding one, where they switched leads once more -- but I don't
actually recollect this one. Have to make sure to watch and check.

-- Pete --
Dimensional Traveler
2018-01-13 22:24:29 UTC
Post by Pete
Post by Connor
Post by Pete
Post by Connor
Post by Pete
Post by Connor
I didn't know DiP was back. WIll have to check local PBS station. We
heard that they changed detectives again.
It's only back on the BBC (:-() I think everyone else is watching it
on the Dark Web...
I assume it's likely to show up on PBS fairly soon, though. (Did last
season.)
-- Pete --
Oh, TVGuide says "NEW" next Wednesday. That's wrong?
I dunno... It's not new here (SF BAy Area) It shows on Wednesdays
here, too, but next week it's "Stumped in Murder" which is from last
season. If they complete that series, the new season won't start for
another month or so.
We are in the Bay Area too.
Heh -- seem to be a lot of us! (:-))
All you kids get off my lawn!!
instinct are running screaming.
icebreaker
2018-01-13 02:03:30 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:35:01 -0500, icebreaker
Post by icebreaker
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by icebreaker
[...]
At least they didn't just forget her. I know all the DCs have lived
there, but it's a shack that lets in all the varmits and insects. I'd
want a nicer place myself.
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 18:20:07 UTC
On the first day of the new year when I went into work (for a
half-day), I watched:

Chicago Med - "Ties That Bind". This went exactly as expected: Reese
did indeed freak out on a patient (just not the patient you were
expecting), and gets herself suspended. (I think in the real world, her
career would be over, at this point...) Meanwhile, also as expected,
they write Robin out (though this took longer than I expected...). And
they let the stupid Ice Princess get up on another one of her soap
boxes, which is always tedious when they let it happen. I don't
remember Halstead's case. And Maggie figures out a clever way to
attract more ambulences to their E.R. so that she may eventually be
able to hire more nurses!!

Haywire (Tubi TV) - OK, this was not what I was expecting, though it
all made sense when I saw that this was directed by Steven Soderbergh:
that means a sparse filming style (and the lack of "enhanced"
sound-effects: so punches sound like they really do), and non-linear
timeline storytelling, and a surprisingly good cast. Gina Carano is
actually pretty good in this - it's too bad no one has seemed to let
her play a "good guy" since. I did enjoy her beating the snot out of
Channing Tatum (and Michael Fassbender!). It was also kind of a hoot to
see Bill Paxton playing a decent guy, for once.

The Librarians (recorded) - "And the Hidden Sanctuary". Fred was
correct - I quite enjoyed this episode! :) as it's a "Cassandra"
episode.
Cassandra has a failure of nerve during a mission, and questions her
place in the library, and so takes a "leave of absence" to the "safest
town in America" (in Ohio). Once she gets there, she begins to see some
(statistically) unexplainable things, and is further pushed into
suspicion by a local teen, who just happens to be Triple G from "Game
Shakers"! (Benjamin Flores, Jr.). Wackiness ensues.
This one was directed by Noah Wyle, and after a somewhat slow start,
got better as it went along. I liked the ending quite a bit.

The Darkness (The Netflix) - I watched this because of Lucy Fry (who's
not in it that much...), but it's actually quite well cast with Kevin
Bacon, Radha Mitchell, David Mazouz from "Gotham"(!!), Paul Reiser, and
even a cameos by Jennifer Morrison and Ming-Na!! As a "supernatural
horror" flick, this was mostly paint-by-the-numbers in terms of plot.
It was just unusually well acted, due to the cast.

Knock Knock (Hulu) - This turned out to be very disappointing - I
generally don't respond well to flicks that don't explain/justify their
premises, and this one never came close. Of course, this all made a lot
more sense at the end when I realized this was an "Eli Roth picture". I
should have known... :/
Anyway, anyone going into this expecting a satisfying premise is
going to be disappointed - this doesn't make a lick of sense, and this
film isn't going to give you anything to make more sense out of it.
This sounds like it works better if get the "alternate ending" -
that at least would give back a little bit of satisfaction.

S.W.A.T. - "Seizure". Sort of covered by Ice, but he left out the quite
odd 'B' story in which Deacon's wife Annie (Bre Blair) apparently has a
serious stroke in front of Commander Hicks (Patrick St. Esprit), and no
one can let Deacon know about it while he's on the prison riot detail.
I'm not sure what the point of this storyline was, except to humanize
Hicks and show that he's not just a dick...
2018-01-12 20:42:24 UTC
Haywire (Tubi TV) - OK, this was not what I was expecting, though it
that means a sparse filming style (and the lack of "enhanced"
sound-effects: so punches sound like they really do), and non-linear
timeline storytelling, and a surprisingly good cast. Gina Carano is
actually pretty good in this - it's too bad no one has seemed to let
her play a "good guy" since. I did enjoy her beating the snot out of
Channing Tatum (and Michael Fassbender!). It was also kind of a hoot to
see Bill Paxton playing a decent guy, for once.
So what do you think of The Tubi? And what path are you taking to put
it on TV?
Post by Ian J. Ball
The Librarians (recorded) - "And the Hidden Sanctuary". Fred was
correct - I quite enjoyed this episode! :) as it's a "Cassandra"
episode.
Cassandra has a failure of nerve during a mission, and questions her
place in the library, and so takes a "leave of absence" to the "safest
town in America" (in Ohio). Once she gets there, she begins to see some
(statistically) unexplainable things, and is further pushed into
suspicion by a local teen, who just happens to be Triple G from "Game
Shakers"! (Benjamin Flores, Jr.). Wackiness ensues.
This one was directed by Noah Wyle, and after a somewhat slow start,
got better as it went along. I liked the ending quite a bit.
+1
Post by Ian J. Ball
The Darkness (The Netflix) - I watched this because of Lucy Fry (who's
not in it that much...), but it's actually quite well cast with Kevin
Bacon, Radha Mitchell, David Mazouz from "Gotham"(!!), Paul Reiser, and
even a cameos by Jennifer Morrison and Ming-Na!! As a "supernatural
horror" flick, this was mostly paint-by-the-numbers in terms of plot.
It was just unusually well acted, due to the cast.
The Netflix offers me
Darkness Rising
Racing Darkness
A Tale of Love and Darkness
Lessons of Darkness
30 Days of Night
P3
2018-01-12 22:19:59 UTC
Haywire (Tubi TV) - OK, this was not what I was expecting, though it
that means a sparse filming style (and the lack of "enhanced"
sound-effects: so punches sound like they really do), and non-linear
timeline storytelling, and a surprisingly good cast. Gina Carano is
actually pretty good in this - it's too bad no one has seemed to let
her play a "good guy" since. I did enjoy her beating the snot out of
Channing Tatum (and Michael Fassbender!). It was also kind of a hoot to
see Bill Paxton playing a decent guy, for once.
So what do you think of The Tubi? And what path are you taking to put
it on TV?
I'm using the Tubi TV app on my Apple TV. It does "integrate" into Apple's TV app similarly to how Hulu does, so that's good.

I'm not sure how much I will end up using it, but I did register with them.
You're right - I pulled this off the HBO Now app, not The Netflix.
anim8rfsk
David Barnett
2018-01-12 20:34:45 UTC
On Thu Jan 11 I watched:

QI: Odorous and Odious
Not my favorite episode,
with its fecal jokes which I don't find funny.

VIKINGS: Full Moon
At least one female bare-breasted scene.
Ivar says he is going to kill Lagertha in a painful way.
David Barnett
anim8rfsk
2018-01-12 20:55:40 UTC
Post by David Barnett
VIKINGS: Full Moon
At least one female bare-breasted scene.
Male or female?
David Barnett
2018-01-13 21:46:02 UTC
Post by David Barnett
VIKINGS: Full Moon
At least one female bare-breasted scene.
Male or female?
I said female; I thought she had nice boobs.
She had Bjorn tied up,
& for a moment I thought she was going to eat his nuts.
David Barnett
Dimensional Traveler
instinct are running screaming.
anim8rfsk