Ping: BTR1701
Add Reply
Nyssa
2021-05-04 21:15:04 UTC
I just finished listening to an interview that was on BBC
Radio's Newshour. No doubt you'd be interested in giving it
a listen too since it's about John Williams' music.

The interview was by the BBC's Tim Franks and was with two
of the musicians from the London Symphony Orchestra about
their playing and recording music composed by John Williams
and specifically the soundtracks for Star Wars.

Included in the interview is the principal horn with the
LSO who recorded the first Star Wars soundtrack, David
Cripps (sp?) among others in the series of movies. You'll
enjoy his answer to the question if Williams' film music
should be considered to be on the same plane as "proper
classical music."

The other musician was a violinist who was part of the later
SW soundtrack recordings as well as those for the Superman
series.

The Beeb is pretty good about making the audio available
on their website, so you can probably track it down, probably
with longer interviews that the edited versions that were
part of the news broadcast.

Enjoy!

Nyssa, who often hears the most amazing and interesting
things on foreign news broadcasts
BTR1701

Nyssa
2021-05-04 23:54:19 UTC
Post by Nyssa
[...]
http://youtu.be/hhwQoyFXsuk
I have no idea. Video of any kind is impossible
over my dialup.

What I heard was audio-only radio. If they also
did video of the interviews, you've gotten a bonus
over what I listened to this afternoon.

If the horn player was talking about how wonderful
it was to be the first to play the horn passages, then
it was the same interview.

Nyssa, who also has YouTube blocked in her hosts file
since there are still websites that try to force feed
video as soon as you load the page
Pete
2021-05-05 06:41:45 UTC
Post by Nyssa
I just finished listening to an interview that was on BBC
Radio's Newshour. No doubt you'd be interested in giving it
a listen too since it's about John Williams' music.
The Beeb is pretty good about making the audio available
on their website, so you can probably track it down, probably
with longer interviews that the edited versions that were
part of the news broadcast.
Hah! Not that easy to locate that! Easy to google up "BBC Newshour"
but I don't see it in any of the (many) summaries! Any further tips?
I tried a few plausible searches on BBC Sounds, but didn't come up
with anything.
Post by Nyssa
Enjoy!
Nyssa, who often hears the most amazing and interesting
things on foreign news broadcasts
Yep. Most of my audio these days is audio streams from distant places!
Particularly BBC Radio 2's "Blues Show" on Mondays at 1pm West Coast time.
She plays some pretty amazing tracks (to my taste). Otherwise the Radio
Caroline Flashback stream (hits from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's!)
especially Barry James' "Forgotten Vinyl" again at 1pm Pacific on Thursdays.
The only OTA station I ever listen to is the University's KALX -- hyper-
eclectic, but usually listenable and interesting. Even that is usually
via stream, as its 500 watts doesn't even reach across Berkeley very well!

-- Pete --