What Did You Watch? 2020-11-23 (Monday)
2020-11-24 09:30:41 UTC
After an arduous workout, I watched:

MXC:
Apparently, Con TV plays a marathon of Most Extreme Challenge on Mondays.

"We have put together, I think, the most extensive and and inclusive
voter fraud organization in the history of American politics."
- Joe Biden

#StopTheSteal
Ian J. Ball
2020-11-24 18:01:04 UTC
Apparently, Con TV plays a marathon of Most Extreme Challenge on Mondays.
What did you watch?
Not feelin' it - besides, really only watched "The Outpost" yesterday.

I'll do a 2-day tomorrow.
2020-11-24 18:30:03 UTC
Apparently, Con TV plays a marathon of Most Extreme Challenge on Mondays.
What did you watch?
Not feelin' it - besides, really only watched "The Outpost" yesterday.
I'll do a 2-day tomorrow.
There's not much to watch. I did finally decide yesterday to go ahead
and delete "Filthy Rich." I had about 6 episodes sitting on the DVR
with another on the way and just didn't care.

L.A.'s Finest - "Dangerous Minds" - I didn't really follow this one, but
it did seem to move the plot forward a lot.

2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (HBO) - I've been slowly working my way
through this over the past few weeks and finally finished it off last
night. It was full of famous rock bands from the 70s and 80s that I had
never heard of or was only vaguely aware. But I did find that when they
played the songs from the bands, many of the songs were song I was more
or less familiar with, even if I had no idea who sang them.

His Dark Materials (HBO) - "The Cave" - This second episode was a major
step up from the premier. This one was half set on our Earth with Lyra
and Will. Lyra tracks down a physicist for a conversation on "dust"
which apparently in our world is what we call dark matter. Meanwhile
back on Lyra's world, her mother continues to gleefully twirl her evil
mustache while manipulating a war with the witches. I so hope the
witches win, and win big.

Virus (blu-ray) - I forgot to mention I watched this Sunday in honor of
Jamie Lee Curtis' birthday. This is a 1999 sci-fi horror movie, that I
don't think I've watched since the one time in the theater. It's odd
that I even have it in my collection since I don't recall even liking
it. To my surprise, I really enjoyed it this time around. The movie is
basically a mash up of "Alien" and "The Thing". Curtis stars as the
first officer on a tug boat run by Donald Sutherland. He's beyond
reckless and is just trying to score a big payday. After losing his
life savings in a storm, he stumbles upon a large Russian science
vessel. Eying a multi million dollar payday for salvaging the ship he
orders his crew to board and secure it. His plans for a payday go up in
smoke when they find a survivor on board. She's a Russian scientist who
tells them an alien intelligence was beamed down from a Russian space
station and it has now taken over the ship and murdered the crew. Some
of the crew fled the ship, but those who didn't escape were captured and
used for spare parts to create bio-mechanical killing machines. I'm not
sure why I didn't like it in 99, but it was loads of fun this time around.
Micky DuPree
2020-12-10 16:36:36 UTC
His Dark Materials (HBO) - "The Cave" - This second episode was a
major step up from the premier. This one was half set on our Earth
with Lyra and Will. Lyra tracks down a physicist for a conversation
on "dust" which apparently in our world is what we call dark matter.
Meanwhile back on Lyra's world, her mother continues to gleefully
twirl her evil mustache while manipulating a war with the witches. I
so hope the witches win, and win big.
Even after all these episodes, I still consider myself on the fence
about this show, but I also find that I like it when the story leaves
Lyra's world. I've decided I just don't like Lyra's world and wouldn't
miss it if she decided to stay in Will's world (our world?) from here on
out. I don't imagine I'll be that lucky, though.

Also, I kept muttering at Pan to change into a dog to better pass for
normal in Will's world.

-Micky
Arthur Lipscomb
2020-12-10 18:11:50 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I agree the show is definitely more interesting when it's set in our
world. Which is weird because Lyra's world has witches, and a variety
of talking animals, including armored Bears. Yet the adventures in our
world are far more interesting.

I haven't read the books, but I recently learned that Will's character
is from the second book, the "Subtle Knife." The series was messing
with the book's audience by putting him in the first season. This
explains why there was no hint of Earth in the movie. I had assumed it
was because the movie cut out those parts of the book. All the
interesting Earth parts are all from the second book, which the second
season is just starting to fully explore.
Micky DuPree
2020-12-22 00:04:11 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
It is odd. Lyra's world feels relentlessly depressing, which I don't
like. Ordinarily, I don't mind a dark story at all, but I guess that
world comes off as deterministically evil, to the point where if most of
the characters keeled over dead, it would feel like an improvement.
Most of the magical elements seem to be used to oppress people.
Individual bears, witches, and people seem to be good, or at least
potentially helpful, but the bulk of everything is weighted against
that.

-Micky