What Did You Watch? 2020-06-24 (Wednesday)
2020-06-25 08:30:41 UTC

FORBIDDEN HISTORY:
"Moses". Was Moses a real person? Maybe.

Democrats and the liberal media hate President Trump more than they
love this country.
Ian J. Ball
2020-06-25 15:09:48 UTC
Graded yesterday, so not much...:

soaps: B&B - This was somewhat of a treat! It was an episode from 2002
that sported both Courtnee Draper as "Erica" (later "Mary"!), and the
lovely Tracy Melchior as Kristen Forrester. *And* it had Stephanie
righteously tearing a strip of that craven slut Brooke! Love it!! :)
DOOL - This, OTOH, I found to be mostly a waste of an episode - the
only thing of note that happened was Brady forced Old Man
Kiriakis(/Aniston!) to recant about Krazy Kristen stabbing him, but Eli
pointed out to them that if they go that route with the authorities, 1)
Brady goes back to being the #1 suspect, and 2) they'll charge Old Man
Kirakis with perjury! Ha!! Also, Will & Sonny tell Lucas that they want
to adopt stupid Allie's baby (the episode finished before Lucas shared
his thoughts on the proposal!).

Stargirl (recorded) - "The Justice Society" (ep. #6). I liked this
episode... Pat basically orders stupid Courtney (who was actually less
obnoxious in this episode!) to take the JSA stuff back from Yolanda and
Beth, while Pat goes to do the same from Rick Tyler, but both of them
fail at the task, esp. Courtney who is guilt-tripped by Yolanda and
Beth, both of whom feel like the JSA stuff has turned their lives
around. Then Beth discovers that The Gambler is attempting to take over
some satellites, and voila! the (junior!) JSA has their first mission!
But what they think is an easy mission to take down The Gambler ends up
being a face-off with Tigress (this series' version, anyway) and
Sportsmaster. In the ensuing fight, only Wildcat and Stargirl come
anywhere close to holding their own! - Hourman gets his ass handed to
him by Sportsmaster, and Beth as Dr. Mid-Nite is mostly a coward.
Luckily, they are bailed out by Pat as S.T.R.I.P.E. at the last second.
In the end, Courtney agrees with Pat that while they won't get the
other kids to "quit" being JSA, they at least need to be trained to
take on the ISA...

And that was pretty much all I watched - in the evening, I put Hallmark
Channel on as background noise and finished grading...

Recorded for later: SHIELD (which I'll get to either tonight, or
tomorrow night), and The 'Hundred[sic].
2020-06-25 16:54:39 UTC
[...]
Be fair! She's a teenage girl with no fighting ability, no training,
and no superpowers. That doesn't make her a coward! Well I guess she
could fling herself into the battle and while the villains are murdering
her the other heroes can flee to safety.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Luckily, they are bailed out by Pat as S.T.R.I.P.E. at the last second.
In the end, Courtney agrees with Pat that while they won't get the other
kids to "quit" being JSA, they at least need to be trained to take on
the ISA...
And that was pretty much all I watched - in the evening, I put Hallmark
Channel on as background noise and finished grading...
Recorded for later: SHIELD (which I'll get to either tonight, or
tomorrow night), and The 'Hundred[sic].
I watched:

SHIELD - "A Trout in the Milk" - This was a fun episode, right from the
start when they did the retro opening credits. I seem to always fall
for shows doing retro credits. This week team SHIELD battle HYDRA in
the 70s and finally rescue good old Enoch.

House on Haunted Hill (blu-ray) - 1999 horror remake staring a bunch of
90s celebrities including Taye Diggs and Ali Larter, who for whatever
reason seem to be poping up in several movies I've watched lately.
Anyway Geoffrey Rush stars as a theme park owner who plots to murder his
wife (Famke Janssen) using an old asylum turned haunted house as a
cover. It was mostly meh. This was very much a spur of the moment
watch decision to just kill some time.

Return to House on Haunted Hill (Showtime or maybe Cinemax) I had this
sitting on my DVR and in a half-hearted attempt to clear some DVR space
I watched this. Since they couldn't afford Ali Larter again, her sister
(Amanda Righetti) is forced to go to the house by some treasure hunters.
Wackiness ensues. This was not good, but It did have a *little* bit
of snark in it. Especially when the ghosts instead of just killing
people like in the first movie have to be played by young models who
strip naked and make out first before the kill.
anim8rfsk
2020-06-25 17:46:36 UTC
SHIELD - "A Trout in the Milk" - This was a fun episode, right from the
start when they did the retro opening credits. I seem to always fall
for shows doing retro credits. This week team SHIELD battle HYDRA in
the 70s and finally rescue good old Enoch.
Or vice versa "Come with me if you wish to continue to exist"

"an breac sa bhainne" - Irish Mike

And they just took one of the worst of the MCU movies, Winter Soldier, out of
continuity. Yay!
2020-06-25 17:57:28 UTC
SHIELD - "A Trout in the Milk" - This was a fun episode, right from the
start when they did the retro opening credits. I seem to always fall
for shows doing retro credits. This week team SHIELD battle HYDRA in
the 70s and finally rescue good old Enoch.
Or vice versa "Come with me if you wish to continue to exist"
"an breac sa bhainne" - Irish Mike
And they just took one of the worst of the MCU movies, Winter Soldier, out of
continuity. Yay!
You misspelled "best." :-)

At first I thought there might be reset, but now that you mention it,
the TV series and movies do seem to be actively at war with each other.
The show might very well screw with movie continuity and not care. And
as you say, they already have. It's not as if the movies care about how
they constantly screw with the show's continuity. First Winter Soldier
did hit the show hard. Then Infinity War screwed them again. And by
the time End Game rolled around they SHIELD might as well have been a DC
show.
anim8rfsk
2020-06-25 18:03:12 UTC
SHIELD - "A Trout in the Milk" - This was a fun episode, right from the
start when they did the retro opening credits. I seem to always fall
for shows doing retro credits. This week team SHIELD battle HYDRA in
the 70s and finally rescue good old Enoch.
Or vice versa "Come with me if you wish to continue to exist"
"an breac sa bhainne" - Irish Mike
And they just took one of the worst of the MCU movies, Winter Soldier, out of
continuity. Yay!
You misspelled "best." :-)
Bucky needs to stay dead.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
At first I thought there might be reset, but now that you mention it,
the TV series and movies do seem to be actively at war with each other.
The show might very well screw with movie continuity and not care. And
as you say, they already have. It's not as if the movies care about how
they constantly screw with the show's continuity.
Joss Whedon is on record that the Son of Coul is still dead in the movies.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
First Winter Soldier
did hit the show hard. Then Infinity War screwed them again. And by
the time End Game rolled around they SHIELD might as well have been a DC
show.
Except it's enjoyable.
Jim G.
2020-07-04 22:40:21 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
At first I thought there might be reset, but now that you mention it,
the TV series and movies do seem to be actively at war with each other.
The show might very well screw with movie continuity and not care. And
as you say, they already have. It's not as if the movies care about how
they constantly screw with the show's continuity.
Joss Whedon is on record that the Son of Coul is still dead in the movies.
I hate to think of Whedon as the final arbiter of pretty much ANYTHING
at this point...
First Winter Soldier
did hit the show hard. Then Infinity War screwed them again. And by
the time End Game rolled around they SHIELD might as well have been a DC
show.
Except it's enjoyable.
Heh. So true. So very, very true. To be fair, I blame Berlanti far more
than I blame DC, but DC did give him the access to the toy box, so...
"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE
Ian J. Ball
2020-07-04 23:46:04 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
At first I thought there might be reset, but now that you mention it,
the TV series and movies do seem to be actively at war with each other.
The show might very well screw with movie continuity and not care. And
as you say, they already have. It's not as if the movies care about how
they constantly screw with the show's continuity.
Joss Whedon is on record that the Son of Coul is still dead in the movies.
I hate to think of Whedon as the final arbiter of pretty much ANYTHING
at this point...
Hell - he's not even going to be the final arbiter of "Justice League"!
2020-07-05 01:39:21 UTC
What Did You Watch? 2020-06-24 (Wednesday)
July 4, 2020 at 4:46:04 PM MST
Post by Jim G.
Thu, 25 Jun 2020 10:57:28 -0700 Arthur
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
At first I thought there might be reset, but now that you mention it,
the TV series and movies do seem to be actively at war with each other.
The show might very well screw with movie continuity and not care. And
as you say, they already have. It's not as if the movies care about how
they constantly screw with the show's continuity.
Joss Whedon is on record that the Son of Coul is still dead in the movies.
I hate to think of Whedon as the final arbiter of pretty much ANYTHING
at this point...
Hell - he's not even going to be the final arbiter of "Justice League"!
BURN NOTICE!

Man, you Jesse'd him good!
Jim G.
2020-07-05 21:44:48 UTC
Post by Jim G.
You misspelled "best." :-)
Bucky needs to stay dead.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
At first I thought there might be reset, but now that you mention it,
the TV series and movies do seem to be actively at war with each other.
The show might very well screw with movie continuity and not care. And
as you say, they already have. It's not as if the movies care about how
they constantly screw with the show's continuity.
Joss Whedon is on record that the Son of Coul is still dead in the movies.
I hate to think of Whedon as the final arbiter of pretty much ANYTHING
at this point...
Hell - he's not even going to be the final arbiter of "Justice League"!
Heh. You know that your career isn't going well when Zack Snyder starts
to get more respect.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-05 01:34:33 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
At first I thought there might be reset, but now that you mention it,
the TV series and movies do seem to be actively at war with each other.
The show might very well screw with movie continuity and not care. And
as you say, they already have. It's not as if the movies care about how
they constantly screw with the show's continuity.
Joss Whedon is on record that the Son of Coul is still dead in the movies.
I hate to think of Whedon as the final arbiter of pretty much ANYTHING
at this point...
Yeah, but that's where we can trace the division to.
Post by Jim G.
First Winter Soldier
did hit the show hard. Then Infinity War screwed them again. And by
the time End Game rolled around they SHIELD might as well have been a DC
show.
Except it's enjoyable.
Heh. So true. So very, very true. To be fair, I blame Berlanti far more
than I blame DC, but DC did give him the access to the toy box, so...
Yes, as long as they keep pouring money at these guys to make crap, it's hard
to blame them.

Hard, but not remotely impossible.
Jim G.
2020-07-05 21:49:40 UTC
Post by Jim G.
You misspelled "best." :-)
Bucky needs to stay dead.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
At first I thought there might be reset, but now that you mention it,
the TV series and movies do seem to be actively at war with each other.
The show might very well screw with movie continuity and not care. And
as you say, they already have. It's not as if the movies care about how
they constantly screw with the show's continuity.
Joss Whedon is on record that the Son of Coul is still dead in the movies.
I hate to think of Whedon as the final arbiter of pretty much ANYTHING
at this point...
Yeah, but that's where we can trace the division to.
So it should be an easy fix. Just tell people not to listen to Whedon,
which is good advice on pretty much every other front these days, as well.
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by Jim G.
First Winter Soldier
did hit the show hard. Then Infinity War screwed them again. And by
the time End Game rolled around they SHIELD might as well have been a DC
show.
Except it's enjoyable.
Heh. So true. So very, very true. To be fair, I blame Berlanti far more
than I blame DC, but DC did give him the access to the toy box, so...
Yes, as long as they keep pouring money at these guys to make crap, it's hard
to blame them.
Hard, but not remotely impossible.
Heh. Exactly.
Ian J. Ball
2020-06-25 17:52:02 UTC
SHIELD - "A Trout in the Milk"
I may get to this tonight.

OTOH, I forgot to mention that I also watched "His Dark Materials"
yesterday. This means I'll dump my review of that episode of HDM into
tomorrow's WDYW? thread. This actually increases the odds that I'll
just watch "SHIELD!" tonight, and watch the next episode of "His Dark
Materials" tomorrow...
2020-06-25 17:31:29 UTC
Recorded for later: SHIELD
S.H.I.E.L.D. was such a hoot, I feel like Woodsy Owl.
Jim G.
2020-07-04 22:39:53 UTC
MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. / 7x05 / A Trout in the Milk

[After a bumpy landing in the disco decade, the team -- Daniel Sousa in
tow -- reunites with more than one familiar face at the S.H.I.E.L.D.
hangout and discovers exactly how to dismantle the Chronicoms’ latest
plan. But when they get too close for comfort, the Zephyr unexpectedly
leaps forward again, this time to a date pivotal to not only the future
of S.H.I.E.L.D. but to the future of Director Mack as well.]

"Come with me if you want to continue to exist!"

Just a few bullet points since (a) I'm trying to catch up with a ton of
unread stuff this afternoon and (b) it's probably all been discussed
already:

* That open. That awesome open.
* ENOCH!!!
* Deke shoots Freddy!
* Mack's parents???
* What's a Cold War story without at least one missile?

Grade: B
anim8rfsk
2020-07-05 01:32:35 UTC
Post by Jim G.
[...]
Plus gratuitous Quinn Martin reference, perfect for the era.