Bringing back "shame" punishement would cut crime in half
2021-11-25 00:02:10 UTC
Being forced to walk around with a signboard six hours a day saying, "I am guilty of robbery." Or, bringing back public stocks. Or corporate punishment for adults (whippings). May thugs and foreign criminal elements no only consider a jail sentence to be a badge of honor, they look at American jails as hotels. These store-swarmers. Force them all to clean streets wearing dunce caps and diapers. I honestly doubt they'd make the same mistake twice.
Your Name
2021-11-25 02:00:48 UTC
Being forced to walk around with a signboard six hours a day saying, "I
am guilty of robbery." Or, bringing back public stocks. Or corporate
punishment for adults (whippings). May thugs and foreign criminal
elements no only consider a jail sentence to be a badge of honor, they
look at American jails as hotels. These store-swarmers. Force them
all to clean streets wearing dunce caps and diapers. I honestly doubt
they'd make the same mistake twice.
Just drop every criminal into a deep, inescapable hole and forget about
them ... a much better deterrent than the current "slap on the wrist
with a wet tissue" or stay in a luxuty holiday venue, it would save the
huge waste of tax-payer money.
Rhino
2021-11-25 02:13:09 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by RichA
Being forced to walk around with a signboard six hours a day saying,
"I am guilty of robbery."  Or, bringing back public stocks.  Or
corporate punishment for adults (whippings).  May thugs and foreign
criminal elements no only consider a jail sentence to be a badge of
honor, they look at American jails as hotels.  These store-swarmers.
Force them all to clean streets wearing dunce caps and diapers.  I
honestly doubt they'd make the same mistake twice.
Just drop every criminal into a deep, inescapable hole and forget about
them ... a much better deterrent than the current "slap on the wrist
with a wet tissue" or stay in a luxuty holiday venue, it would save the
huge waste of tax-payer money.
I remember an American (or was he a Brit?) who committed an offense we
would consider minor in Singapore - spitting on the sidewalk? chewing
gum? littering? - who was publicly caned because Singapore did NOT
consider his act so minor. A lot of people were appalled at the
"barbarity" of his punishment or at least the media emphasized that
reaction. I wonder if he ever offended again?
danny burstein
2021-11-25 02:48:06 UTC
In <snmrfn$e0q$***@dont-email.me> Rhino <***@example.com> writes:

[snip]
Post by Rhino
I remember an American (or was he a Brit?) who committed an offense we
would consider minor in Singapore - spitting on the sidewalk? chewing
gum? littering? - who was publicly caned because Singapore did NOT
consider his act so minor. A lot of people were appalled at the
"barbarity" of his punishment or at least the media emphasized that
reaction. I wonder if he ever offended again?
This is the one I recall...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay
***@panix.com
Likely no, which can't be said for at least 80% of the recidivists who end up back in hotel U.S. jail.
David Johnston
Sure, it didn't work before but next time will be different!
RichA
2021-11-27 01:36:58 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Your Name
Post by RichA
Being forced to walk around with a signboard six hours a day saying,
"I am guilty of robbery." Or, bringing back public stocks. Or
corporate punishment for adults (whippings). May thugs and foreign
criminal elements no only consider a jail sentence to be a badge of
honor, they look at American jails as hotels. These store-swarmers.
Force them all to clean streets wearing dunce caps and diapers. I
honestly doubt they'd make the same mistake twice.
Just drop every criminal into a deep, inescapable hole and forget about
them ... a much better deterrent than the current "slap on the wrist
with a wet tissue" or stay in a luxuty holiday venue, it would save the
huge waste of tax-payer money.
Sure, it didn't work before but next time will be different!
Take a look at where laws work to DETER crime, and emulate them. Sorry liberals, it's Saudi Arab, Singapore, etc.