Netflix censors Bullock movie
2019-03-14 18:22:43 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47573563
moviePig
2019-03-14 18:33:03 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47573563
Mixed feelings about the edit. But *this* is just moronic:

"We're sorry for any pain caused to the Lac-Mégantic community," the
statement said, without giving a reason for changing its decision.

(Yes, the reason is left as a Mensa puzzle for extra-clever readers...)
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
BTR1701
2019-03-14 21:44:51 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47573563
"We're sorry for any pain caused to the Lac-Mégantic community," the
statement said, without giving a reason for changing its decision.
(Yes, the reason is left as a Mensa puzzle for extra-clever readers...)
It's absurd. Disaster movies have done this since the beginning of disaster
movies. The DAWN OF THE DEAD remake had a whole opening credit sequence
which consisted of nothing but real scenes of civil unrest, strife, and
disaster to illustrate the societal collapse caused by the zed uprising.
moviePig
2019-03-14 22:25:48 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47573563
"We're sorry for any pain caused to the Lac-Mégantic community," the
statement said, without giving a reason for changing its decision.
(Yes, the reason is left as a Mensa puzzle for extra-clever readers...)
It's absurd. Disaster movies have done this since the beginning of disaster
movies. The DAWN OF THE DEAD remake had a whole opening credit sequence
which consisted of nothing but real scenes of civil unrest, strife, and
disaster to illustrate the societal collapse caused by the zed uprising.
I'd imagine that individuals who recognize news footage that's
unrecognized by a vast majority of viewers might feel quite a few
emotions before they get around to feeling outraged or exploited.
--
- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...
http://www.moviepig.com
Adam H. Kerman
Exploited? My gawd you are an asshole, moviePig.
Ubiquitous
2019-03-15 21:59:01 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47573563
"We're sorry for any pain caused to the Lac-Mégantic community," the
statement said, without giving a reason for changing its decision.
(Yes, the reason is left as a Mensa puzzle for extra-clever readers...)
It's absurd. Disaster movies have done this since the beginning of
disaster movies. The DAWN OF THE DEAD remake had a whole opening credit
sequence which consisted of nothing but real scenes of civil unrest,
strife, and disaster to illustrate the societal collapse caused by the
zed uprising.
I'd imagine that individuals who recognize news footage that's
unrecognized by a vast majority of viewers might feel quite a few
emotions before they get around to feeling outraged or exploited.
Exploited? My gawd you are an asshole, moviePig.
RAT's Norm Chomsky strikes again!
--
Trump: A president so great that Democrats who said they would leave
America if he won decided to stay!
FPP
2019-03-15 23:09:31 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47573563
"We're sorry for any pain caused to the Lac-Mégantic community," the
statement said, without giving a reason for changing its decision.
(Yes, the reason is left as a Mensa puzzle for extra-clever readers...)
It's absurd. Disaster movies have done this since the beginning of
disaster movies. The DAWN OF THE DEAD remake had a whole opening credit
sequence which consisted of nothing but real scenes of civil unrest,
strife, and disaster to illustrate the societal collapse caused by the
zed uprising.
I'd imagine that individuals who recognize news footage that's
unrecognized by a vast majority of viewers might feel quite a few
emotions before they get around to feeling outraged or exploited.
Exploited? My gawd you are an asshole, moviePig.
RAT's Norm Chomsky strikes again!
Always good for a laugh! Especially if you have Alzheimers...
--
"An immigrant who achieves the American Dream didn’t steal anything from
you or your family. They just wanted it more than you and worked harder
your life sucks lemons, a wall isn’t going to turn it to lemonade."
Ubiquitous
2019-03-15 23:31:00 UTC
[...]
You shouldn't mock MoviePig, even if he HAS Alzheimers, as you have claimed
without any proof....
RichA
They had a real-life rioting scenes in "Gilligan's Island!" When Gilligan imagined himself to be the dictator of some Latin-American country.
Connor
2019-03-14 18:41:57 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47573563
You don't read well do you?? They are putting in different video they aren't "censoring" the movie.
RichA
2019-03-14 21:07:53 UTC
It's censorship. Now go put pants on Michaelangelo's "David" like a good little philistine.
Your Name
2019-03-15 00:23:26 UTC
It's censorship. Now go put pants on Michaelangelo's "David" like a
good little philistine.
I'm still waiting for the complaints to start rolling in about the
original Mary Poppins' song "A spoonful of sugar" ... the "obesity"
brigade should be having a field day with that one, but not a peep ...
yet!
Adam H. Kerman
2019-03-14 21:21:40 UTC
Post by Connor
Post by RichA
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47573563
You don't read well do you?? They are putting in different video they
aren't "censoring" the movie.
What the hell is wrong with you? If you had read the article, there was
political pressure from the government of Quebec to remove the
Lac-Megantic disaster footage. It said so right in the article. Short of
passing a censorship law like the UK, political pressure is pretty close
to censorship as it always comes with veiled threats.

Netflix isn't running the movie as edited by the director. Now, they
agreed to distribute the movie early which is how it got produced. I
guess that gave them rights to re-edit the film.

As Netflix responded to political pressure and not because they were
trying to improve the film, that's censorship.

It had a limited release for the 1 week minimum, I guess to qualify for
an Oscar, but it doesn't sound like an award-winning movie.

Rich is right. You're being an idiot.
Connor
2019-03-15 01:20:13 UTC
Yes, pressure, not law. Netflix didn't have to do it.

Somebody talked about old footage of real ppl but it sounds like this one only a few years ago so it probably was sad for those ppl in Canada to see it. :-(
The Horny Goat
2019-03-15 06:52:02 UTC
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 18:20:13 -0700 (PDT), Connor
Post by Connor
Yes, pressure, not law. Netflix didn't have to do it.
Somebody talked about old footage of real ppl but it sounds like this one only a few years ago so it probably was sad for those ppl in Canada to see it. :-(
July 2013 isn't exactly "historical footage" - we're talking about a
train where the brakes were improperly set that rolls out of control
down a hill and killed a lot of people in the middle of a town of
6000.

You had better believe it both was recent and got a huge amount of
attention at the time.
Adam H. Kerman
2019-03-15 08:00:57 UTC
Post by Connor
Post by Connor
Yes, pressure, not law. Netflix didn't have to do it.
Somebody talked about old footage of real ppl but it sounds like this
one only a few years ago so it probably was sad for those ppl in Canada
to see it. :-(
July 2013 isn't exactly "historical footage" - we're talking about a
train where the brakes were improperly set that rolls out of control
down a hill and killed a lot of people in the middle of a town of
6000.
I wrote a report on the findings of the government investigation several
years ago. What was so ridiculous about the whole thing was that the
engineer had 20 years' experience and had no idea how to calculate how
many brakes needed to be set. Also: The locomotive was improperly
maintained and several of the brakes that were set weren't working.
In the United States as well.
Ubiquitous
2019-03-16 00:25:21 UTC
Post by Connor
[...]
Why was there weckage footage in that Warren Beatty movie?