Why the Democratic party platform matters
Add Reply
thinbluemime2
2020-08-01 15:33:00 UTC
Why the Democratic party platform matters
Party platforms reveal the balance of forces of political debate within
the major parties. So, what does the Democratic Party platform tell us
about the party in 2020?
BY MICHAEL ARRIA JULY 31, 2020
https://mondoweiss.net/2020/07/why-the-democratic-party-platform-matters/

Does the Democratic Party’s platform actually matter? In April, I asked
Arab American Institute co-founder James Zogby exactly that. He was part
of Jesse Jackson’s presidential campaigns in the 80s and was a member of
Bernie Sanders’s committee to draft the Democratic Party platform in 2016.

“There are two measures that I look at historically. One is where public
opinion is and, for that, I turn to polling. The other is where the
balance of forces are in the actual political debate within the two
major parties. For that, you look at the platforms,” Zogby told me.

So, let’s apply The Zogby Test to the 2020 Democratic Party. Before we
get to the platform, let’s start with the polling. A 2019 Center for
American Progress poll found that 56% of American voters support
conditioning U.S. aid to Israel if the country continues to expand its
settlements or annexes portions of the West Bank. Apply that to just
Democratic voters and the numbers go way up: 71% say they want aid to be
conditioned.

Data for Progress also polled voters on the question of conditioning aid
last year. They didn’t end up with numbers as high as the Center for
American Progress did, but their survey also found that a majority of
Democratic voters support the policy.

What about BDS? Since the campaign began in the mid-2000s, it’s been
derided by many as a foolhardy endeavor that will never make a dent on
mainstream society. Last year, Nation columnist Eric Alterman wrote an
op-ed for the New York Times mockingly titled, “Does Anyone Take the
B.D.S. Movement Seriously?”

It turns out an increasing number of Democratic voters take it
seriously. A University of Maryland Critical Issues Poll from January
asked 3,016 people about BDS and found 49% of them had heard of the
movement. Of the Democrats who had heard of it, 48% said that they
“strongly or somewhat” support BDS. 80% of the Democrats surveyed said
that they opposed anti-BDS laws. Shibley Telhami, the Anwar Sadat
Professor for Peace and Development at the University of Maryland,
summarized the polls findings when it was released. “For a few years
now, the polls have consistently shown a majority of Democrats wanting
to take action against Israeli settlements, including imposing
sanctions, while Republicans and independents wanted to do nothing or
limit opposition to words. But until this fall, I had not asked directly
about the BDS movement, as it was not on the radar screen of most
Americans. However, the recent debates in Congress and elsewhere have
raised the profile of the issue,” he wrote.

So, that’s the base of the party. Broad support for conditioning
military aid to Israel and an increasing awareness about BDS that is
leading to more and more support for the movement.

Now let’s look at the platform. “Where the balance of forces are in the
actual political debate within the two major parties,” as Zogby says. On
Monday, the Democratic National Committee rejected a motion to condition
aid to Israel and add the word “occupation” to the platform. The vote
wasn’t even particularly close. It failed 34-117, with five delegates
abstaining.

The amendment was introduced by Bernie Sanders delegate, and executive
director of Our Revolution’s Illinois chapter, Clem Balanoff. “At a time
when hundreds of thousands of Americans have been marching in our
streets – and many of you on this call – for equality and civil rights,
it is unconscionable for the Democratic Party not to speak truthfully to
the Palestinians efforts to secure those same rights,” he said.

During the meeting, former US ambassador to Israel, Dan Shapiro, and
former undersecretary of state for political affairs, Wendy Sherman,
both made remarks opposing the amendment. Sherman declared that the $3.8
billion that Israel gets from the U.S. every year is “a mutually
beneficial investment, one that protects Israel against very real
threats and helps promote security and stability in a region where we
know all too well the cost of insecurity and instability.”

Shapiro spoke of the need to speak with one voice during the meeting.
After the vote he tweeted, “We’re a diverse party, and many views are
heard, but Democrats are unified around these principles.”

Who is possibly buying this? Every poll on the subject shows that the
Democratic establishment is completely out of step with the people who
actually vote for them. Not just on the issue of Israel, but on a score
of others. Motions endorsing Medicare for All and one calling for the
federal legalization of pot were also voted down, despite being widely
popular among the Democratic electorate.

As Josh Ruebner reports at our site, Balanoff’s proposed amendment was
actually a watered down version of a much stronger motion authored by
Palestinian-American delegates. This one included conditioned aid, an
end to the occupation, an end to settlement expansion, Palestinian
rights to Jerusalem, and an assertion of equal rights for Israelis and
Palestinians.

“Their amendment language was duly submitted to the DNC by a Sanders
delegate to the platform committee but was not brought up for a vote. It
is unclear what happened to this amendment language, as determinations
about amendments happen behind closed doors, but its omission from the
process further reinforced the marginalization of Palestinian-American
voices,” explains Ruebner.

None of these developments are particularly surprising, but as the
disconnect on this issue grows deeper, the Dems are about to nominate a
presidential candidate who finds the very concept of conditioning aid
“outrageous.” The polls currently look good for Biden (although who
knows what the Trump administration is capable of this November), but
2021 won’t look like 2009. He’ll be presiding over a country with a
stronger BDS movement, a two-state solution consensus that’s obviously
cracking, and population whose support for Israel continues to dwindle.
Ed Stasiak
2020-08-01 17:18:33 UTC
thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN
So, let’s apply The Zogby Test to the 2020 Democratic Party. Before
we get to the platform, let’s start with the polling. A 2019 Center for
American Progress poll found that 56% of American voters support
conditioning U.S. aid to Israel if the country continues to expand its
settlements or annexes portions of the West Bank. Apply that to just
Democratic voters and the numbers go way up: 71% say they want aid
to be conditioned.
I’ll never vote for a Dem (and never have) as long as they continue
to call for censorship and gun control.
trotsky
Well anonyshitted and sockpuppeted.
FPP
2020-08-01 22:07:46 UTC
thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN
So, let’s apply The Zogby Test to the 2020 Democratic Party. Before
we get to the platform, let’s start with the polling. A 2019 Center for
American Progress poll found that 56% of American voters support
conditioning U.S. aid to Israel if the country continues to expand its
settlements or annexes portions of the West Bank. Apply that to just
Democratic voters and the numbers go way up: 71% say they want aid
to be conditioned.
I’ll never vote for a Dem (and never have) as long as they continue
to call for censorship and gun control.
Did you vote for Trump, Ed? Or any Republicans who sat there and let
him come after our guns?

"President Trump on Wednesday voiced support for confiscating guns from
certain individuals deemed to be dangerous, even if it violates due
process rights.

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just
took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time,”
Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said."

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376097-trump-take-the-guns-first-go-through-due-process-second

Well, did you? Because if you did, YOU'RE supporting Anti-Gun Fundies too.
--
History will show when Tyranny came to the streets of America, the 3%,
Militiamen and Gun Nuts, who like to dress up as GI Joe in tactical

"Leaders who have hidden in a bunker and gassed their own citizens
include Saddam Hussein, Adolf Hitler and Donald [Bunker Bitch] Trump." -
Ben Wexler
REAL PRESIDENTS LEAD. REALITY TV PRESIDENTS DON'T.

Trump: "No, I don't take responsibility at all." - 3/13/20
Adam H. Kerman
2020-08-02 07:38:27 UTC
thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN=20
=20
So, let=E2=80=99s apply The Zogby Test to the 2020 Democratic Party. Befo=
re
we get to the platform, let=E2=80=99s start with the polling. A 2019 Cent=
er for=20
American Progress poll found that 56% of American voters support=20
conditioning U.S. aid to Israel if the country continues to expand its=20
settlements or annexes portions of the West Bank. Apply that to just=20
Democratic voters and the numbers go way up: 71% say they want aid
to be conditioned.
I=E2=80=99ll never vote for a Dem (and never have) as long as they continue
to call for censorship and gun control.
You and mime truly fail to appreciate that your positions in support of
Palestine are close to all too many younger members of the Democratic Party.
These would also be people allied with the sanctions movement.

Older members of the Democratic Party support Israel to some extent and
some of them favored speech restrictions on the sanctions movement. But
that's the Democratic Party's past, not its future.

You've got a few actual libertarians, especially Rand Paul, who are
always staunch opponents of speech restrictions, always and forever. But
they're a tiny bit of the Republican coalition.

A whole lot of Republicans support Israel but if you know of any who
have spoken out on their opposition to speech restrictions, do let me
know.

It's truly laughable how very allied you two idiots are with any number
of younger Democrats and you pretend you're not.
Ed Stasiak
2020-08-02 13:14:58 UTC
I’ll never vote for a Dem (and never have) as long as they continue
to call for censorship and gun control.
You and mime truly fail to appreciate that your positions in support
of Palestine
I neither support nor oppose Palestinians or Israelis, I’ve stated several
times that the only valid solution for the region is the forced transfer of
the Muslim Palestinian population to the surrounding Muslim Arab nations,
at which point the U.S. can wipe its hands of the whole problem.

My gripe is with Israeli-Jews and (more so) and American-Jews who lead
the U.S. around by the nose and extort bazillions of American tax payer
dollars to keep Israel afloat.

You Jews decided you wanted to live in a region where everybody hates you
and doubled-down on your arrogance by forcing out the native population
and seizing their lands but what’s past is past and Israel has nukes so ain’t
nobody kicking them out now.

But you can do it on your own dime. That $3.8+ BILLION American tax payers
fork out every year for Israel can and should be spent on the American people,
not European colonists in an apartheid nation the size of New Jersey with the
population of NYC.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-08-02 16:47:25 UTC
I=E2=80=99ll never vote for a Dem (and never have) as long as they cont=
inue=20
to call for censorship and gun control.=20
You and mime truly fail to appreciate that your positions in support
of Palestine
I neither support nor oppose Palestinians or Israelis, I=E2=80=99ve stated =
several
times that the only valid solution for the region is the forced transfer of
the Muslim Palestinian population to the surrounding Muslim Arab nations,
at which point the U.S. can wipe its hands of the whole problem.
I know what you've said and I know what you've said. Your position is
laughable. This one right here is called "war".
My gripe is with Israeli-Jews and (more so) and American-Jews who lead
the U.S. around by the nose and extort bazillions of American tax payer
dollars to keep Israel afloat.
You Jews decided you wanted to live in a region where everybody hates you
and doubled-down on your arrogance by forcing out the native population
and seizing their lands but what=E2=80=99s past is past and Israel has nuke=
s so ain=E2=80=99t
nobody kicking them out now.
The Sephardic Jews had lived throughout the Middle East since the
Diaspora from Spain in 1492. Jews get kicked out of everywhere they've been.
It's tradition. The one place that doesn't happen is here in America,
and I think Holland, but flooding will take care of that.
But you can do it on your own dime. That $3.8+ BILLION American tax payers
fork out every year for Israel can and should be spent on the American peop=
le,
not European colonists in an apartheid nation the size of New Jersey with t=
he
population of NYC.
You might have had an argument if the Jews hadn't been kicked out of
Arab countries in northern Africa in the 1950s.

Your one-sided bullshit is what makes you so pro-Arab... just like
certain young Democrats whom you pretend you despise but are truly
alligned with politically.

So no, Ed, you haven't convinced me to stop laughing at you and mime.
Ed Stasiak
2020-08-03 01:31:30 UTC
I neither support nor oppose Palestinians or Israelis, I’ve stated several
times that the only valid solution for the region is the forced transfer of
the Muslim Palestinian population to the surrounding Muslim Arab nations,
at which point the U.S. can wipe its hands of the whole problem.
I know what you've said and I know what you've said.
Indeed, it’s right there for you to read.
Your position is laughable. This one right here is called "war".
I never suggested it would be a pleasant process, just that it’s the only plan
that will insure peace and allow the Palestinians to get out of the ghetto the
Jews have shoved them into.
You Jews decided you wanted to live in a region where everybody hates you
and doubled-down on your arrogance by forcing out the native population
and seizing their lands but what’s past is past and Israel has nukes so ain’t
nobody kicking them out now.
The Sephardic Jews had lived throughout the Middle East since the Diaspora
from Spain in 1492.
There have been Jews in Palestine/Israel since oldy timey days, the Romans didn’t
kick them all out but most of those who stayed, eventually adopted Christianity
or Islam and became “Palestinians” and are the true genetic descendants of the
Hebrews.
Jews get kicked out of everywhere they've been. It's tradition. The one place
that doesn't happen is here in America, and I think Holland, but flooding will
take care of that.
Doesn’t justify the Jews kicking the Palestinians out of their homes.
But you can do it on your own dime. That $3.8+ BILLION American tax payers
fork out every year for Israel can and should be spent on the American people,
not European colonists in an apartheid nation the size of New Jersey with the
population of NYC.
You might have had an argument if the Jews hadn't been kicked out of Arab
countries in northern Africa in the 1950s.
Because the Jews seized Palestine and kicked the native Palestinians out.

Good for the goose, good for the gander but that doesn’t somehow justify extorting
American tax payers to keep Israel afloat. Pay your own way, you cheapskate.
Adam H. Kerman
2020-08-03 02:16:07 UTC
=20
I neither support nor oppose Palestinians or Israelis, I=E2=80=99ve sta=
ted several=20
times that the only valid solution for the region is the forced transfe=
r of=20
the Muslim Palestinian population to the surrounding Muslim Arab nation=
s,=20
at which point the U.S. can wipe its hands of the whole problem.=20
I know what you've said and I know what you've said.
Indeed, it=E2=80=99s right there for you to read.
Your position is laughable. This one right here is called "war".=20
I never suggested it would be a pleasant process, just that it=E2=80=99s th=
e only plan
that will insure peace and allow the Palestinians to get out of the ghetto =
the
Jews have shoved them into.
You Jews decided you wanted to live in a region where everybody hates y=
ou=20
and doubled-down on your arrogance by forcing out the native population=
=20
and seizing their lands but what=E2=80=99s past is past and Israel has =
nukes so ain=E2=80=99t=20
nobody kicking them out now.=20
The Sephardic Jews had lived throughout the Middle East since the Diaspor=
from Spain in 1492.
There have been Jews in Palestine/Israel since oldy timey days, the Romans =
didn=E2=80=99t
kick them all out but most of those who stayed, eventually adopted Christia=
nity
or Islam and became =E2=80=9CPalestinians=E2=80=9D and are the true genetic=
descendants of the
Hebrews.
Jews get kicked out of everywhere they've been. It's tradition. The one p=
lace
that doesn't happen is here in America, and I think Holland, but flooding=
will
take care of that.=20
Doesn=E2=80=99t justify the Jews kicking the Palestinians out of their home=
s.
I don't justify land grabs. Never have, never will. When the hell have
you ever heard me apologize for bad shit like that? As it's Israel and
much of it was clearly illegal, some of them hired Jewish lawyers, sued,
and got their land back.

When the Jews were kicked out of all the other Arab countries in the
early 1950's, who were they going to sue?

I must have missed your tears for that.
But you can do it on your own dime. That $3.8+ BILLION American tax pa=
yers=20
fork out every year for Israel can and should be spent on the American =
people,=20
not European colonists in an apartheid nation the size of New Jersey wi=
th the=20
population of NYC.=20
You might have had an argument if the Jews hadn't been kicked out of Arab
countries in northern Africa in the 1950s.=20
Because the Jews seized Palestine and kicked the native Palestinians out.
THOSE Jews who weren't even living there did no such thing. Also, it was
the rest of the Arab world who didn't allow any Palestinian
resettlement. The rest of the Arab world has at no point given a shit
about the Palestinians.
Good for the goose, good for the gander
Somehow you apologize for that. You have no moral high ground here, and
you've managed to confirm everything I accused you of.

Ed, your position is a joke. You're free to take it and I'm free to
laugh at you for being aligned with Ilhan Omar.
but that doesn=E2=80=99t somehow ju=
stify extorting
American tax payers to keep Israel afloat. Pay your own way, you cheapskat=
e.
That's from the Camp David Accords and keeps the peace between Egypt and
Israel. It's the only peace treaty that worked. Continuing war would
have cost a hell of a lot more.