Taking Care Of Business
Add Reply
chromebook test
2021-11-25 03:58:41 UTC
12 attorney generals call on Ben & Jerry’s to resume business in illegal settlements
MICHAEL ARRIA NOVEMBER 23, 2021
https://mondoweiss.net/2021/11/12-attorney-generals-call-on-ben-jerrys-to-resume-business-in-illegal-settlements/

A coalition of attorney generals is urging Ben & Jerry’s to sell its ice cream in the illegally-occupied West Bank once again.

The group sent a letter to Ben & Jerry’s parent company Unilever calling for action. Signatories include the chief legal officers of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Indiana, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, and West Virginia.

“We, the attorneys general of our respective states, write today to express our grave concerns about Unilever’s decision to engage in a boycott of the State of Israel. Not only is Israel one of our nation’s closest and most reliable allies, but it is also the only democratic nation in the region and has long been a force for peace and stability,” reads the letter.

Despite this assertion, the company has never actually embraced an Israel boycott or the BDS movement. Ben & Jerry’s announced that it was pulling out of occupied West Bank territories in July, but made it clear that they would continue to do business in other parts of the country.

The boycott falsehood was echoed by Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt in a statement announcing the letter. “Today I was proud to lead a 12 state coalition in calling on Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s to reverse their ill-advised boycott of the State of Israel. Israel is a strong ally of the United States and remains the only democratic nation in the region,” said Schmitt. “Further, if Unilever is so interested in virtue-signaling, why not announce a boycott of countries like China, Russia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, or especially Iran, who has promised the complete destruction of Israel? Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s should reverse their boycott immediately.”

Florida, Arizona, New York, New Jersey, and Texas have all announced that they are divesting their holdings in Unilever over the Ben & Jerry’s decision. Earlier this month New York Governor Kathy Hochul said that the state might go a step further and add Unilever to blacklist that would block them from any further state investment.

While state governments look to punish Unilever financially, the pro-Israel group StandWithUs has launched a $500,000 ad campaign attacking the company. It includes billboards that say, “Don’t Let Antisemitism Melt Your Brand.”

Activists have been pressuring Ben & Jerry’s to pull its business out of Israel for years and in 2015 it became a target of the BDS movement.

“When we started this campaign we were targeting Ben & Jerry’s because their social mission talks about equality, human rights, protecting refugees, protecting the environment, Black Lives Matter, police brutality,” Vermonters for Justice in Palestine’s Wafic Faour told Mondoweiss in July. “We’re talking about Israel because it’s still an apartheid state and the Palestinians who are living over there as Israeli citizens, Israeli Arabs..they are living under different rules and they are facing discrimination on housing, on education, healthcare, police protection. Just name it.”

-----------

BTR1701
2021-11-25 04:35:42 UTC
On Nov 24, 2021 at 7:58:41 PM PST, "chromebook test
Post by chromebook test
[...]
While I think it's reprehensible for state governments to try to impose
chilling effect on free speech like this, they do have a great point wit
regard to how Ben & Jerry/Unilever's concern for human rights seems to star
and stop at the West Bank. They're still perfectly happy to do business wit
countries that are horrible on human rights, some like China, who are activel
genociding entire religious groups. But you don't see any boycotts of them b
those two crusty communists in Vermont, do you?
chromebook test
2021-11-25 04:45:21 UTC
Post by chromebook test
[...]
While I think it's reprehensible for state governments to try to impose a
chilling effect on free speech like this, they do have a great point with
regard to how Ben & Jerry/Unilever's concern for human rights seems to start
and stop at the West Bank. They're still perfectly happy to do business with
countries that are horrible on human rights, some like China, who are actively
genociding entire religious groups. But you don't see any boycotts of them by
those two crusty communists in Vermont, do you?
The United States doesn't give China 3 billion free American tax dollars each year for being the only democracy in Asia that practices apartheid.
BTR1701
2021-11-25 18:31:59 UTC
Post by chromebook test
[...]
see any boycotts of them by those two crusty communists in Vermont, do you?
The United States doesn't give China 3 billion free American tax dollars each
year for being the only democracy in Asia that practices apartheid.
Why would that have any relevance to boycotting (or not) a brutal regime
that tortures people in internment camps and maintains an iron fist with
all its other citizens?

Ben & Jerry aren't boycotting America for its foreign aid choices.
They're boycotting the foreign country based on its behavior. Given
that, one would expect them to boycott *all* countries that behave
horribly, not just that one little country in the Middle East.

Bottom line: boycotting Israel because of alleged human rights abuses
while still selling in Saudi Arabia and Iran is beyond ridiculous and
destroys any credibility to their claim that their boycott is out of
concern for human rights.

I believe in their right to boycott, but they're obviously being
disingenuous douchebags about their reasons for doing it.
chromebook test
2021-11-25 19:16:41 UTC
Post by chromebook test
[...]
Because as American citizens, Americans have no say in how China or any other non-ally conducts it's internal affairs. As American citizens of the USG, that sends 3 billion a year to Israel, runs diplomatic cover for Israel at the UN, and shares NSA collected surveillance with Israel, the United States Government has a stake in and a responsibility for Israel's conducts its behavior, especially when it reflects badly on America's responsibility to protect human rights.

If the USG won't hold our most cherished ally accountable for it's human rights violations, if the USG shirks its basic responsibility to human rights violations within its control, then American citizens like Ben and Jerry, must.
I believe Ben and Jerry in this instance are the epitome of American citizens standing for American values and I am proud of them as American Jews.
BTR1701
2021-11-25 20:14:02 UTC
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
[...]
But you don't see any boycotts of them by those two crusty communists
in Vermont, do you?
[...]
Then they should be boycotting America, not Israel, if they want to be
consistent and non-hypocritical.
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Ben & Jerry aren't boycotting America for its foreign aid choices.
They're boycotting the foreign country based on its behavior. Given
that, one would expect them to boycott *all* countries that behave
horribly, not just that one little country in the Middle East.
Bottom line: boycotting Israel because of alleged human rights abuses
while still selling in Saudi Arabia and Iran is beyond ridiculous and
destroys any credibility to their claim that their boycott is out of
concern for human rights.
I believe in their right to boycott, but they're obviously being
disingenuous douchebags about their reasons for doing it.
I believe Ben and Jerry in this instance are the epitome of American citizens
standing for American values and I am proud of them as American Jews.
So Saudi Arabia and Iran embody American values but Israel doesn't?

GTFO
chromebook test
Iran isn't a US ally, it has been heavily sanctioned, to the point of near human rights abuse, by the USG for Israel's security. Saudi Arabia while a US ally doesn't receive US diplomatic protection for its human rights violations or a yearly US 3 billion dollar check. Saudi Arabia finances US debt with the petrodollar to enable the US to deficit spend, including sending a 3 billion dollar a year check.... to Israel.
BTR1701
2021-11-25 21:09:08 UTC
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
[...]
Nothing here? Can't think up a double-standard to spin why B&J doesn't
boycott America rather than Israel after you claimed it's America's
moral failing that's at the heart of the issue?
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
[...]
So it's okay to boycott Israel, but it's not okay to boycott Iran.

Gotcha.
Post by chromebook test
Saudi Arabia while a US ally doesn't receive US diplomatic protection for
its human rights violations or a yearly US 3 billion dollar check. Saudi
Arabia finances US debt with the petrodollar to enable the US to deficit
spend, including sending a 3 billion dollar a year check.... to Israel.
That's the Saudi's choice, but it certainly wouldn't buy them a pass
from me, a private citizen, if I was in the business of boycotting
foreign governments for human rights abuses.

"Oh, you say the Saudis subsidize U.S. spending with oil dollars? Well,
by all means, torture and maim and kill away, then! And here's some
tasty ice cream to refresh yourselves afterward!"

GTFO

It's amazing to me the rich and elaborate fantasy world you've
constructed where Muslim governments can literally do any depraved,
twisted, wicked shit that can be conceived of by the human mind and you
don't blink an eye. The only bad actors in the world are Israel and the
western nations that don't leave it hanging in the wind.
chromebook test
2021-11-25 23:43:51 UTC
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
[...]
If Muslim countries had an unregistered Arab lobby that financed pro-Arab American politicians and if Muslims had an Arab-American propaganda machine to convince you head chopping was justified for the Arab countries survival, you wouldn't boycott them for human rights abuse, you would be a flag waving Muslim supporter.

The Israel Lobby is scared to death that 2 American Jews, who can't be accused of antisemitism, because they are JEWS, will open the eyes of Americans to the hypocrisy of American leadership and Israeli human rights abuse.

Ben and Jerry are American heroes!
BTR1701
Right. And this is where you go rocketing off into the tinfoil hat zone.
chromebook test
2021-11-26 00:18:23 UTC
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
Post by chromebook test
[...]
12 attorney generals without any pressure from the Israel Lobby, spontaneously call on Ben & Jerry’s to resume business in illegal settlements

(What exactly does the attorney general do?)
chromebook test
2021-11-26 00:23:03 UTC
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
Post by chromebook test
[...]
My apologies, I need to remember you have difficulty understanding the rich tradition of Jewish storytelling with allegory and metaphor.