What Did You Watch? 2021-09-13 (Monday)
2021-09-14 08:30:41 UTC

MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000:
Shout Factory was playing MST3K all day:
"Danger!! Death Ray". Agent Bart Fargo must save both a stolen death ray and
the scientist who created it from an evil organization.

I also want to mention Shout Factory TV is still playing commercials
telling people vote against the "Republican recall of Gavin Newsome"!
The lies! The lies!

Trump won.
Ian J. Ball
2021-09-14 13:37:11 UTC
Just soaps, and the problematic ep. of "Fantasy Island" that I only
partly recorded:

soaps: DOOL - Gwen, who really is a miserable coward, fails to tell
Jack the truth, and instead runs with Xander's lie that she was a
former prostitute. [roll] Chad tries to convince RedAbby to come home
(I wasn't sure if he made any headway). After Doug forgets who Tom and
Alice were(!), Julie hauls him to Kayla who starts running tests. EJ
beats up Xander who swears revenge on him (I hope Xander *kills* the
f***er!!) Marlena deftly deflects Johnny's hustle for cast - at this
point, I am convinced this *is* a con, as Johnny has no script, no
story idea, or *anything* for this "movie" of his! If I was Marlena, I
would have laughed him out of my office when he admitted that!
GH - EVOL!!1! Peter pulls a gun on NuNina and Phyllis and apparently
intends to kill them. As Sonny and Jax are distracted, and Valentin is
too far away to get there in time, it looks like curtains for them!!...
Spencer and Nikolas unite together to bicker with Valentin, which
EVOL!!1! Esme found to be a "turn on".(?) I guess Maxie and Brook Lynn
are OK again, and Austin does agree to take Maxie to Carly's wedding.
Ava is leaving town because of the "stalker" and tells Carly that she
intends to leave Avery with Carly. In the end, Josslyn confronts
Spencer about being aliased as "Victor" earlier.

Fantasy Island (OnDemand: first 10 minutes, recorded: rest) - "Twice in
a Lifetime" (ep. #5).
At least there was more to this one than ep. #4 - there was at least
some ambiguity. At the end, the guest claims she "chose herself", but a
more careful reading of it was that she realized that she was going to
ruin *both* of these guys' lives!! (the non-Indian dude, she forced to
live with her mother and then ruined his career and dream!! the Indian
guy she fails to provide children too and then gets him *killed*!!) so
really any sort of "feminist posturing" with this episode rings
entirely false.
Meanwhile, the pilot's fantasy is to have a "fling" with Roarke, who
obliges, though at least partly grudingly.
I don't think this show works nearly as well with just "one guest"
per episode. They would be smart to go back to the 'more than one
guest' per episode format, esp. for season #2 (if there is one)...
He said he had an 'idea' and wrote a script. But...
Arthur Lipscomb
2021-09-14 17:48:05 UTC
[...]
True. And cost one guy a billion dollars!

This will be a two day catch-up. I watched:

Creepshow (AMC) - Season 2, episode 2 - "Dead & Breakfast" and
"Pesticide" - In the first one Ali Larter and C. Thomas Howell play
siblings running a murder themed bed and breakfast. They invite a
social media influencer to stay the night to help drum up business. You
can guess what happens next. In the second one Josh McDermitt plays a
shady exterminator who is hired by Keith David to exterminate some
homeless people. Neither episode was all that good.

Billions - "Implosion" - Axe can't help himself but continue to be petty
and go after Prince. Meanwhile Prince gets fed up with Axe and decides
to go after Axe. Also Taylor once again gets fed up with Axe and goes
to Chuck. But didn't Taylor already get fed up and go to Chuck? I
can't keep track of the number of times Taylor got fed up and offered to
help Chuck.

Animal Kingdom - "Relentless" - Anyone else just waiting for young Smurf
to kill the guy who is taking a cut of her profits? After threatening
her kids, I *know* this guy's days are numbered! Meanwhile in the
present day adventures of her good for nothing kids, their alliance with
a local cop takes an interesting and dramatic turn. This cop is way
shadier than he first appeared. But hey, he's going above and beyond to
earn his keep!

Evil (Paramount+) - "U Is for U.F.O" - In an episode directed by Clark
Johnson, Team evil investigate if air force pilots are seeing UFOs.

MTV Video Music Awards - I have no idea who most of the artists on the
show were. Most of the artists I did recognize were from 20 to 40 years
ago.

Labyrinth (theatrical) - The classic 1986 fantasy musical staring a
young Jennifer Connelly who must rescue her baby brother from the Goblin
King (David Bowie). This is a childhood favorite. It got a theatrical
rerelease for its' 35th anniversary. The funny thing is, I have this
movie on 4K disc. I've had it on 4K disc for years, and I've yet to
watch the disc because the movie keeps getting theatrical re-releases.
Although I suspect my 4K disc might have looked better than the
theatrical print. The theatrical print looked newer, but was also
showing some age. I expect the disc may pop a bit more than the print.
Ubiquitous
2021-09-16 08:30:43 UTC

--
Trump won.

BTR1701
2021-09-14 18:41:43 UTC
[...]
Y: THE LAST MAN

Watched the first two episodes and was pleasantly surprised. It sucked m
right in. Well-written, plot not full of holes like most shows of this type.
was afraid this was going to be one of those soapy shows that merely uses a
apocalypse or some other grand event as back drop for a lot of angsting abou
relationships, but so far that's been kept to a minimum.

Show starts three week out from 'the event' which allows them to introduc
characters and give them the needed backstories. Then we start to se
indications that something is happening. People start to find animals (rats
dogs, elk, etc.) lying dead in pools of blood. And then it happens. In th
mid-meeting at the Pentagon, the Secret Service approaches the president an
tells him Israel has had a mass-casualty event and has gone dark and they nee
to get him to a secure location. As he's being led out, Speaker of the Hous
Diane Lane asks for more information only for the presidents face to tur
black and blood pour out of his nose and mouth. He collapses, as do all th
male military officers and Secret Service agents. Then we see New York i
chaos, planes dropping out of the skies, etc. After that, the show skips ahea
several weeks as the government tries to deal with massive economic collapse
imminent power and water blackouts, and millions of starving women rioting i
the streets.

One nit I had is the woman who is an operative in a covert government hi
squad-- the character is introduced working undercover, having infiltrated
domestic terror group and building a bomb for them, which she then remote
detonates when they come to pick it up, killing them all. Her boss says for
her next assignment she'll be embedded as a Secret Service agent on the
president's detail due to a credible threat. And sure enough, she just shows
up at the White House and starts working on PPD. There's no way someone who
hasn't gone through the training could just show one day and fake it. It would
become painfully obvious within minutes that she had no idea what she was
doing.

I did like how the show (perhaps unintentionally) torpedoes the whole
trans-testicle nonsense about how gender is a construct and people can be
whatever they want to be.

When the calamity hits and all the men drop dead in huge gouts of blood, none
of the trans-testicle women who are pretending to be men die along with them.
And none of the trans-testicle men who are pretending to be women escape its
deadly effects. It's almost as if nature doesn't give a fuck about "trans
rights" and "social justice", which is a strange message to see coming from a
Hollywood production these days. Hence myself suspicion that it might be an
unintentional one.

As we see in the show, it's not just human men that are affected. It's males
of all the world's fauna. Granted, we've only seen it affect mammals so far,
so maybe reptiles, insects, and fish are immune, but nevertheless, this is an
ecological disaster of tremendous proportions. It would be one thing if it was
just people and humans went extinct with no men to reproduce with, but if all
mammalian species are affected, the entire biosphere is likely to collapse.
Ian J. Ball
2021-09-14 19:50:24 UTC
Y: THE LAST MAN [Hulu]
Watched the first two episodes and was pleasantly surprised.
This is definitely on my list. But as with any show like this, I'll
want all the episodes to drop first. Probably not getting to this until
Thanksgiving or Christmas, I'd guess...
2021-09-15 00:15:33 UTC
Y: THE LAST MAN [Hulu]
Watched the first two episodes and was pleasantly surprised.
This is definitely on my list. But as with any show like this, I'll want
all the episodes to drop first. Probably not getting to this until
Thanksgiving or Christmas, I'd guess...
I'm looking forward to seeing this. When I get Hulu all the episodes
should be ready for me to binge. But I might push back getting Hulu.
I'm going to be upgrading my home theater in a few months. My new setup
should look significantly better. And I'll be able to take advantage of
HDR. So anything with HDR I'm trying to not watch until I get my new
system. This is going to really hurt when Foundation drops and I have
to wait to see it. And there are several 4K discs that I have been
eagerly waiting to watch, and now I'm going to have to wait longer. But
it will be worth the wait.
Ubiquitous
2021-09-15 08:35:10 UTC
Y: THE LAST MAN
Watched the first two episodes and was pleasantly surprised. It sucked me
right in. Well-written, plot not full of holes like most shows of this type. I
was afraid this was going to be one of those soapy shows that merely uses an
apocalypse or some other grand event as back drop for a lot of angsting about
relationships, but so far that's been kept to a minimum.
Show starts three week out from 'the event' which allows them to introduce
characters and give them the needed backstories. Then we start to see
indications that something is happening. People start to find animals (rats,
dogs, elk, etc.) lying dead in pools of blood. And then it happens. In the
mid-meeting at the Pentagon, the Secret Service approaches the president and
tells him Israel has had a mass-casualty event and has gone dark and they need
to get him to a secure location. As he's being led out, Speaker of the House
Diane Lane asks for more information only for the presidents face to turn
black and blood pour out of his nose and mouth. He collapses, as do all the
male military officers and Secret Service agents. Then we see New York in
chaos, planes dropping out of the skies, etc. After that, the show skips ahead
several weeks as the government tries to deal with massive economic collapse,
imminent power and water blackouts, and millions of starving women rioting in
the streets.
One nit I had is the woman who is an operative in a covert government hit
squad-- the character is introduced working undercover, having infiltrated a
[...]
Don't make me Troll-O-Meter you, bro!
Post by BTR1701
As we see in the show, it's not just human men that are affected. It's males
of all the world's fauna. Granted, we've only seen it affect mammals so far,
so maybe reptiles, insects, and fish are immune, but nevertheless, this is an
ecological disaster of tremendous proportions. It would be one thing if it was
just people and humans went extinct with no men to reproduce with, but if all
mammalian species are affected, the entire biosphere is likely to collapse.
Sounds like I will need to check this show out.

Trump won.
Ubiquitous
2021-09-16 08:30:42 UTC
Fantasy Island (OnDemand: first 10 minutes, recorded: rest) - "Twice in
a Lifetime" (ep. #5).
At least there was more to this one than ep. #4 - there was at least
some ambiguity. At the end, the guest claims she "chose herself", but a
more careful reading of it was that she realized that she was going to
ruin *both* of these guys' lives!! (the non-Indian dude, she forced to
live with her mother and then ruined his career and dream!! the Indian
guy she fails to provide children too and then gets him *killed*!!) so
really any sort of "feminist posturing" with this episode rings
entirely false.
Meanwhile, the pilot's fantasy is to have a "fling" with Roarke, who
obliges, though at least partly grudingly.
Wait, "employees" of Fantasy Island get to have their fanstasies fullfilled?

Trump won.
A Friend
2021-09-15 00:32:15 UTC
"Danger!! Death Ray". Agent Bart Fargo must save both a stolen death ray and
the scientist who created it from an evil organization.
I also want to mention Shout Factory TV is still playing commercials
telling people vote against the "Republican recall of Gavin Newsome"!
The lies! The lies!
What did you watch?
The Entertainer (1960). Laurence Olivier plays Archie Rice, a singer,
dancer and comedian who's still working the (dying) live-stage circuit
in England in 1956. Archie (who's not terribly good but not awfully
bad, either) is the son of Billy Rice, who was very successful back in
vaudeville days. Billy is still alive and remains fondly remembered by
everyone. Olivier's real-life then-wife, Joan Plowright, plays
Archie's daughter. Albert Finney plays his son, who's sent off to the
Suez conflict that year. (The film is supposed to be an allegory of
that conflict, but I couldn't begin to tell you anything about that.)

Trust me. You want to see Olivier playing this part. I think it's his
best film, and that includes the Shakespeares.
anim8rfsk
2021-09-15 01:44:27 UTC
[...]
What about The Betsy?
2021-09-15 02:21:17 UTC
In article
[...]
LOL. Nice full frontal from that gal no one remembers, but otherwise
feh. Olivier does get to bang a housemaid early on, though.
anim8rfsk
2021-09-15 03:08:45 UTC
In article
[...]
And watches Katherine Ross suckle.

I think a lot of fans of dynasty remember Kathleen Beller.