What Did You Watch? 2021-05-02 (Sunday)
2021-05-03 08:30:41 UTC

WE ARE THE 80'S

FATHER KNOWS BEST:
Shout Factory TV was playing this all day for some reason. Not particuarly
interesting.

THE ANDY GRIFFIN SHOW:
"Gomer Pyle, USMC". Gomer joins the Marines. For some reason, Andy loiters on
the base and eavesdrops on Gomer's misadventures, then later messes with his
D.I., Sergeant Carter, by passive-aggressively telling him that Gomer is the
son of a general and to not treat him special. Predictible wackiness follows,
including Carter discovering General Pyle has no children. Wink-WAH! Andy
continues to skulk around the base, eavesdropping at Gomer's window and
stirring the pudding.

THE LOVE BOAT:
The crew celebrate their 200th voyage. Is this an attempt at being
"meta"? Hey, they got Andy Warhol to host the festivities! This week, The
Mermaids performed a boring cover of "I'm So Excited".
• "Hidden Treasure". An ex-con (part of MeTV's "MAYberry theme) and his wife
search for a rare stamp hidden somewhere on the ship by the
man's former cellmate.
• "Picture From the Past". Mrs Cunningham tries to hide from Mr Cunningham
that she made a movie with Andy Warhol when she was younger. I think they
made a Chuck joke at some point.
• "Ace's Salary". Ace gets the crew up in arms about salaries.

BAYWATCH:
"Someone to Baywatch over You". Mitch helps an FBI agent stake out the beach
house of a mobster's girlfriend. Meanwhile, a woman Matt rescued is doing the
I-am-your-slave-because-you-saved-my-life routine. Naturally, the female FBI
agent who is posing as a lifeguard hates them but had to use Mitch's life
guard stand to spy on their target. At one point, she managed to knock
herself out with her float while pretending to rescue a drunk guy caught in a
rip current. We see a wacky montage of Matt and CJ trying to trick his
stalker into thinking she saved his life. Ironically, he gets knocked out by
a Saint Bernard that pushed him off his boat. Mitch and the FBI agent have
lots of sexual tension. I know how that's going to turn out... So, they
ripped off Rear Window and then while the agent was away, he planted the bug
she was attempting during the previous Rear Window scene. Eww! The FBI agent
reveals she hates lifeguards b/c the one she loved betrayed her, yada yada,
then revealing it was her father! Meanwhile, Cody gets saved by the moron and
CJ thinks he's faking it as she's performing mouth-to-mouth and CPR on an
unconscious Matt. The girl the FBI is spying on starts to drown on her daily
swim but when they goto rescue her, they discover someone in a boat about 100
yards away snatched her. I have no idea how someone did that under their
noses unnoticed.
Epilogue:
Mitch is making moves on FBI agent but is cock-blocked by one of his
employees announcing she's leaving the show, err, sailing around the world
with her new bf, followed by a montage of them posing and smooching on his
boat.

LIFE, LIBERTY, & LEVIN:
Mark is joined by Senator Josh Hawley, who slams "the strong alliance"
between the left and Big Tech.

FAMILY GUY:
"Meg Goes to College". Meg deals with a college admissions scandal, while
Brian embarks on a fitness journey.

Trump won.
anim8rfsk
2021-05-03 11:05:02 UTC
The crew celebrate their 200th voyage. Is this an attempt at being
"meta"?
Whose 200 voyage was it? They didn’t start together.

Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
The Scandinavian girl was way hotter than CJ. He should’ve just let CJ go
away and traded uo.

knocked out by
Post by Ubiquitous
a Saint Bernard that pushed him off his boat.
Exactly how does a dog pushing you from a low height into the water knock
you out?

Mitch and the FBI agent have
Post by Ubiquitous
lots of sexual tension. I know how that’s going to turn out... So, they
ripped off Rear Window and then while the agent was away, he planted the bug
she was attempting during the previous Rear Window scene. Eww! The FBI agent
reveals she hates lifeguards b/c the one she loved betrayed her, yada yada,
then revealing it was her father! Meanwhile, Cody gets saved by the moron and
CJ thinks he's faking it as she's performing mouth-to-mouth and CPR on an
unconscious Matt. The girl the FBI is spying on starts to drown on her daily
swim but when they goto rescue her, they discover someone in a boat about 100
yards away snatched her. I have no idea how someone did that under their
noses unnoticed.
Mitch is making moves on FBI agent but is cock-blocked by one of his
employees announcing she's leaving the show, err, sailing around the world
And yet she’s still creditex in the next episode even though she doesn’t
appear
2021-05-03 11:34:19 UTC
The crew celebrate their 200th voyage. Is this an attempt at being
"meta"?
Whose 200 voyage was it? They didn't start together.
I thought they meant the 200th ep of the show.
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
away and traded up.
Yeah, but she was so stupid!
Post by Ubiquitous
knocked out by a Saint Bernard that pushed him off his boat.
Exactly how does a dog pushing you from a low height into the water knock
you out?
LOL
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
And yet she's still credits in the next episode even though she doesn't
appear.
I wonder if there was a behind-the-scenes reason for her sudden departure?

Trump won.
anim8rfsk
2021-05-03 15:46:28 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
No more so than CJ. Plus, cute accent.
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Looks like she missed the next half dozen episodes but so did several other
main cast members.

2021-05-03 17:20:42 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
I guess I walked into tnhat one.

Was this before or after Pamula Anderson had the ridiculous funbags installed and
other things done to her face?
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
So we never saw her again on the show?

Trump won.
anim8rfsk
2021-05-03 22:44:03 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
She’s already had multiple disfiguring surgeries at this point.
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
She’ll be back in about six episodes

2021-05-03 13:49:31 UTC
Not much:

golf - Valspar Championship in Tampa/St. Pere. This was won by
first-time winner, 24 year-old Sam Burns, who sort of surged at the
end, cos' earlier it looked like Keegan Bradley (who stumbled near the
end!) would win it.

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (recorded) - "Zoey's Extraordinary Girls'
Night" (ep. #2.10). This episode was disappointing - based on the
title, I thought it was going to be about Zoey going out for a night on
the town with all the women on the show. Instead, it was depressing, as
it was all about Emily's postpartum depression, and it guest starred
Bernadette Peters again as Zoey's mom is still struggling as a new
widow. (And it didn't even have Zoey's work crew at all.)
In the end, Emily is not the only one who decides to seek
professional self - Zoey also starts seeing a shrink.

How I Met Your Murdered (Lifetime) - While I liked the premise of this
one - plucky "true-crime" podcaster - where this one was going was
obvious, simply due to "conservation of characters". IOW, there weren't
enough of them!! - it was obvious that her husband was a red herring,
which meant there was literally only one other character who *had* to
be the killer. So that this made this much more of a perfunctory
exercise - the better Lifetime thrillers throw several potential
suspects at you to keep you guessing...

Recorded for later: Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.
2021-05-03 14:51:25 UTC
How I Met Your Murdered (Lifetime) -
Did you misspell that? Because either way would work but would be very
different concepts..

2021-05-03 15:09:07 UTC
How I Met Your Murdered (Lifetime) -
Did you misspell that? Because either way would work but would be very
different concepts..
Yes I did - it's "How I Met Your Murderer".
2021-05-03 15:44:58 UTC
How I Met Your Murdered (Lifetime) -
Did you misspell that? Because either way would work but would be very
different concepts..
Yes I did - it's "How I Met Your Murderer".
Well then we can still make the more interesting version!
2021-05-03 17:22:46 UTC
How I Met Your Murdered (Lifetime) -
Did you misspell that? Because either way would work but would be very
different concepts..
Yes I did - it's "How I Met Your Murderer".
Well then we can still make the more interesting version!
Telling the victim via seance sounds more exciting than using a Ouija Board.

Trump won.
Arthur Lipscomb
2021-05-03 15:09:16 UTC
golf - Valspar Championship in Tampa/St. Pere. This was won by
first-time winner, 24 year-old Sam Burns, who sort of surged at the end,
cos' earlier it looked like Keegan Bradley (who stumbled near the end!)
would win it.
Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (recorded) - "Zoey's Extraordinary Girls'
Night" (ep. #2.10). This episode was disappointing - based on the title,
I thought it was going to be about Zoey going out for a night on the
town with all the women on the show. Instead, it was depressing, as it
was all about Emily's postpartum depression, and it guest starred
Bernadette Peters again as Zoey's mom is still struggling as a new
widow. (And it didn't even have Zoey's work crew at all.)
 In the end, Emily is not the only one who decides to seek professional
self - Zoey also starts seeing a shrink.
It's a nice change of pace for a show like this to have the main
character seek professional help.
Post by Ian J. Ball
How I Met Your Murdered (Lifetime) - While I liked the premise of this
one - plucky "true-crime" podcaster - where this one was going was
obvious, simply due to "conservation of characters". IOW, there weren't
enough of them!! - it was obvious that her husband was a red herring,
which meant there was literally only one other character who *had* to be
the killer. So that this made this much more of a perfunctory exercise -
the better Lifetime thrillers throw several potential suspects at you to
keep you guessing...
There were only three main characters in the movie?
Post by Ian J. Ball
Recorded for later: Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist.
I watched:

Midnight Cowboy (blu-ray) 1969 Classic starring John Voight as a hustler
who moves to New York and teams up with a con man played by Dustin
Hoffman. I'm guessing it's been about 2 or 3 decades since I last saw
this movie. I like movie, but it's one of those movies in my collection
that I didn't expect to ever watch again. But I was looking for a
Dustin Hoffman movie and this one seemed to fit the mood. It holds up
well enough. I watched with a commentary by the film's producer who had
some interesting stories about the making of the movie.

Straight Time (TCM) 1978 movie staring Dustin Hoffman. Hoffman plays an
ex-con who gets out of prison and tries to go straight, but his parole
officer pulls a power trip and busts him after finding some matches
someone else used to get high. I think he was only held for a day or
two, but it costs him his job and apartment. Once he's released again
Hoffman decides to return to crime. Theresa Russell co-stars as the
female in a 70s movie, which means she instantly falls for Hoffman and
sticks with him no matter what.

Carlito's Way: Rise to Power (Showtime) 2005 Prequel to Carlito's Way.
Jay Hernandez stars as the young Carlito who as the movie starts gets
out of jail and forms an uneasy alliance with his former cellmates
selling heroin for the Italian mafia. It's watchable, but doesn't seem
to have much in common with the first movie other than the character of
Carlito.

Carlito's Way (Showtime) 1993 crime movie directed by Brian De Palma and
staring Al Pacino as Carlito. The movie starts with Carlito getting out
of jail and trying to go straight. But he has a reputation on the
street as a former drug lord and many assume he's a current drug lord.
Sean Penn co-stars as Carlito's crooked lawyer who stole a million
dollars from the mob and needs Carlito's help to get out of the whole he
dug for himself. I forgot this was a De Palma movie until towards the
end when there's a scene of a mobster coming for Penn. There were lots
of long hallway shots and the music consisted of a single piano being
played obnoxiously loud. Then to really hit home this was a De Palma
flick the movie ends with a huge gun fight at a subway with *lots* of
shots of staircases.

The Equalizer - "Hunting Grounds" - Robyn teams up with her cop buddy to
take down a serial killer. But when he sees first hand her methods, he
decides to end their partnership. This was a pretty good one. It sort
of reminded me of "Se7en."

The Nevers - "Undertaking" - Things slowed down a bit this week as
everyone deals with the fallout from last week's action packed episode.
Ian J. Ball
2021-05-03 16:12:52 UTC
How I Met Your Murdere[r] (Lifetime) - While I liked the premise of
this one - plucky "true-crime" podcaster - where this one was going was
obvious, simply due to "conservation of characters". IOW, there weren't
enough of them!! - it was obvious that her husband was a red herring,
which meant there was literally only one other character who *had* to
be the killer. So that this made this much more of a perfunctory
exercise - the better Lifetime thrillers throw several potential
suspects at you to keep you guessing...
There were only three main characters in the movie?
Effectively, yes. #4 was the podcaster's gal-pal and producer. But she
had no ties to the years-old murders, so she was never a suspect.

There were no other major characters in the movie - just these four.
2021-05-03 16:19:26 UTC
"Someone to Baywatch over You". Mitch helps an FBI agent stake out the beach
house of a mobster's girlfriend.
Because that's what lifeguards do.

On the other hand, one thing I learned from working here for 10 years is
that Baywatch is the ultimate law enforcement authority in Los Angeles
County. When the president came to town, we cleared our entire security
plan through Baywatch.
Because doesn't everyone have an ex-lifeguard in their past?
Ian J. Ball
2021-05-03 16:40:49 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
The FBI agent reveals she hates lifeguards b/c the one she loved betrayed
her
Because doesn't everyone have an ex-lifeguard in their past?
Which leads to the ulimate question: Which show has the more outlandish
storylines - "Baywatch" or "Days of Our Lives"?!
I've only seen a few Baywatch, but Days takes that question.
Ubiquitous
2021-05-03 17:24:42 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
The FBI agent reveals she hates lifeguards b/c the one she loved betrayed
her
Because doesn't everyone have an ex-lifeguard in their past?
Which leads to the ulimate question: Which show has the more outlandish
storylines - "Baywatch" or "Days of Our Lives"?!
I've only seen a few Baywatch, but Days takes that question.
It's obvious you two have never watched PASSIONS!

--
Trump won.