Bill Maher Blasts Biden's Idea Of Free College: "I'm Not Fucking Paying For That" - "Colleges have turned into giant luxury daycare centers with overpaid babysitters..."
2021-06-07 08:38:01 UTC
Comedian and HBO host Bill Maher excoriated higher education on his show last
Friday, calling it a "grift" and likening it to Scientology.

"[College] is a racket that sells you a very expensive ticket to the upper
middle class," Maher said in a monologue that spanned more than six minutes.

"President Biden's American Families Plan asks the taxpayers to pony up
hundreds of billions so that everyone can go to college, and billions more
for subsidized childcare so our kids can go to school while we go to school,"
Maher continued.

"I know free college is a left-wing thing, but is it really liberal for
someone who doesn't go to college and makes less money to pay for people who
do go and make more?" Maher asked. "Especially since colleges have turned
into giant luxury daycare centers with overpaid babysitters anxious to
indulge every student whim."

"Why is China kicking our ass?" Maher later asked rhetorically. "Because in
2019, we issued more undergrad degrees in visual and performing arts than in
computer and information science or math. Say what you want about Lori
Laughlin. At least she understood that one good scam deserves another. In the
immortal words of her [Laurie Laughlin's] daughter, Olivia Jade, `I don't
know how much school I'm going to attend . but I do want the experience of,
like, game days and partying.'"

WATCH:

"Yeah, I'm not f***ing paying for that," Maher said, who went on to observe
the disproportionate number of college students who have obtained high grades
since 1960, as well as the staggering rate of college tuition compared to the
rate of inflation.

"A wannabe librarian needs a master's degree just to get an entry-level job
filing books. I've heard this from so many nurses, and teachers, and
administrators, rolling their eyes when relating how they needed to take some
bulls*** course in order to advance in their field when, really, they already
learn what they need by working the job," he said.

"But in the grift that is our higher education, when you want to move up .
you need to pay for more `education' before we decide if you can do what you
do," Maher said. "F***, this is what Scientology does. Makes you keep taking
courses to move up to the bridge of total freedom," he added.

"The answer isn't to make college free. The answer is to make it more
unnecessary, which it is for most jobs," Maher stated.

Trump won.
thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN
2021-06-07 13:08:27 UTC
Comedian and HBO host Bill Maher excoriated
"Yeah, I'm not f***ing paying for that," Maher said
A senior U.S. senator said on Tuesday he expected Washington would quickly authorize as much as $1 billion for Israel to replenish its Iron Dome missile defense system after clashes in May with Hamas.
Post by Ubiquitous
Trump won Sheldon Adelson's Jewish Shekels
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/us-senator-expects-us-send-more-funds-israels-iron-dome-2021-06-01/
Rhino
2021-06-07 14:00:14 UTC
http://youtu.be/_x5SeXNabd8
[...]
I don't find myself agreeing with Maher very often but I think he's
right about this. There's way too much "credentialism" going on - too
many pieces of paper you have to get - to do much of anything these days.

Not that this is a new thing. Even when I was going to university 30
years ago, many employers insisted on a degree, even if it was in
something useless to the employer, like philosophy or English, just to
prove that you were capable of buckling down and getting some work done.
The kind of work you had done in school simply didn't matter for many
jobs. For instance, if you were looking to get a job in retail banking,
a degree in philosophy or phys. ed. was just fine, even if you weren't
going to be doing any philosophizing or calisthenics at the bank.
2021-06-07 15:31:43 UTC
[...]
One of Biden's ideas about college education is to emphasize vocational
training programs instead of academic. Those programs at the community
college level are turning out people well prepared for high paying jobs.
moviePig
We'll have to import Mexicans to write papers on the meaning of life...
suzeeq
2021-06-07 16:41:47 UTC
Post by suzeeq
[...]
No we won't. I'm sure there will be plenty of young people already here
that will happily take up philosophy.

That's why I dropped out of college. It was time to declare a major and
since I didn't want to teach, a lot of academic programs seemed useless
to me. Since then I had a variety of jobs that taught me many skills and
was able to generally find a job whenever I wanted one.
Rhino
2021-06-07 17:29:18 UTC
Post by suzeeq
[...]
Community colleges are popular on this side of the border and generate
skilled candidates for skilled jobs like welders, machinists, and even
computer programmers. There used to be a lot of stigma associated with
community college in Canada; people who went there were seen as people
who couldn't cut it in school and had only the potential to be plumbers
or construction workers or what have you but that seems to have
dissipated somewhat over the years. From things I've read, I get the
impression that the stigma remains high in the US with every parent
thinking they've got an obligation to help their kids go through a 4
year college, the more prestigious the better. Am I wrong about that?

In any case, the proof is in the pudding. I think there's an awful lot
to be said for someone getting a skill like being an electrician,
pipe-fitter, welder or what have you and then doing university courses
in anything that interests them after that. Such a person wouldn't have
to spend nearly as much for their education and therefore have much less
to pay back. They'd graduate with a useful skill and be in demand, as
opposed to all people that graduated college with a degree in lesbian
poetry or black studies who typically end up with immense debt and a
minimum wage job looking at a lifetime of paying off their debt. If they
want to pursue a degree in any of those "studies" programs afterwards,
they'll be able to pay for it out of their earnings from work instead of
racking up debt.
2021-06-07 18:03:55 UTC
[...]
My first partner as a federal agent was a theater major. I suppose that
acting is a relevant skill for undercover work...
thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN
2021-06-07 19:39:38 UTC
[...]
Spooky:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/may/24/kevin-spacey-return-italian-paedophilia-drama

----------------------

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv/search?q=spooky%20thinbl
RichA
2021-06-07 14:48:15 UTC
That's a given. Half the people in lib-arts courses would be FAR better off in skilled trades, where there really IS a need for them.
BTR1701
2021-06-07 18:02:15 UTC
[...]
This is the same grift that various states have with their licensing
programs. They force black women who make money provide hair-braiding
services to their friends and neighbors to have a cosmetology license
just to tie hair in little knots. For the "safety" of the community, of
course. It has nothing to do with that fact that the license is
expensive and puts money in the state's coffers. And to get the
cosmetology license, not only does one have to pay the huge fee to the
state, one has to take (and pay for) hundreds of hours of 'training'
that has no bearing on twisting hair into braids.

It's a massive scam. It's becoming almost impossible to do *any* job
without someone telling you that you have to pay a tithe-- either to a
college, a trade school, a union, or the state-- to do it.
Rhino
2021-06-07 18:49:20 UTC
[...]
One of my friends, who actually has a Ph.D. in Philosophy, got tired of
academia and decided to get a real job. She happened to be in a hospital
taking her dad in for a procedure when she saw a notice that they were
looking for porters. She applied but was turned down because she didn't
have the diploma that you needed to push a gurney down the aisle, which
turned out to require a full year at community college and a dozen or
more courses. She ended up learning to be a physiotherapist's assistant.
(She is legally blind so there are many things she can never be because
the qualifications call for reasonable eyesight.)

Years back, in the early days of Java's emergence as a programming
language, I saw an ad stating that a company was looking for someone
with five years full time experience in all phases of Java development.
At the time, Java had only been in public release for a year or so.
Their key requirement was the equivalent of someone looking for an
experienced airline pilot with five years of fulltime experience the
year after the Wright Brothers first flight at Kitty Hawk.
2021-06-08 01:34:06 UTC
One of my friends, who actually has a Ph.D. in Philosophy, got tired of
academia and decided to get a real job. She happened to be in a hospital
taking her dad in for a procedure when she saw a notice that they were
looking for porters. She applied but was turned down because she didn't
have the diploma that you needed to push a gurney down the aisle, which
turned out to require a full year at community college and a dozen or
more courses.
Bonk

An orderly requires a degree?
Post by Rhino
She ended up learning to be a physiotherapist's assistant.
(She is legally blind so there are many things she can never be because
the qualifications call for reasonable eyesight.)
Years back, in the early days of Java's emergence as a programming
language, I saw an ad stating that a company was looking for someone
with five years full time experience in all phases of Java development.
At the time, Java had only been in public release for a year or so.
Their key requirement was the equivalent of someone looking for an
experienced airline pilot with five years of fulltime experience the
year after the Wright Brothers first flight at Kitty Hawk.
Your first four years were spent drinking coffee.