What Did You Watch? 2021-04-07 (Wednesday)
2021-04-08 08:30:41 UTC

HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS:
"Death Of The Last Stars". The universe's stars are dying off faster than new
ones are born. Experts investigate the secrets of the last stars of the
cosmos and what this stellar apocalypse means for life on earth.

SPACE'S DEEPEST SECRETS:
"Space's Great Wall". Astronomers uncover a cosmic mega-structure that's one
billion light years long, and now investigators race to decode the hidden
forces that shape the most massive and mysterious structure

Trump won.
Ian J. Ball
2021-04-08 12:47:44 UTC
Long workday. All I got through was:

Debris (recorded) - "Earthshine" (ep. #5). Oddly, I can't find any
previous discussion on this episode.
Anyway, this is the first episode of this show that I would describe
as being "mostly OK", but that was largely because this one did away
with the horrid "science" and the grasping "human interest" stories,
and basically was a straight spy-vs-spy story.
In this one, Finola (who is passively-aggressively resenting Bryan,
after her discovery that he's keeping stuff from her in the previous
episode) and Bryan have to spring into action when terrorist(?) group
Influx tests some of their alien doohickey tech as a dress rehersal for
a bigger "attack" in Manhattan. Can Finola and Bryan stop Influx in
time?...
Unfortunately, the ending left a big dangling thread (though does
anyone really believe that Finola's dad is *not* the guy behind
Influx?!), and the next episode looks to pick right back up with the
maudlin "human interest" story garbage!... :/

I also did see one episode of "Danger Force" that I hadn't seen before
("Vidja Games") but it wasn't very good, and saw the French "mime"
episode (which does amuse me) again.

Recorded for later: Off the Rails (off Lifetime, as I don't recognize
this flick, and I think it stars Hannah Barefoot in a rare
"non-villain" role!!), and SEAL Team.
2021-04-08 15:10:17 UTC
Debris (recorded) - "Earthshine" (ep. #5). Oddly, I can't find any
previous discussion on this episode.
I watched it. I don’t recall discussing it. It was absolute crap start to
end.
2021-04-08 19:01:04 UTC
Debris (recorded) - "Earthshine" (ep. #5). Oddly, I can't find any
previous discussion on this episode.
I was about to say there was a dedicated thread, but I just realized
this was the episode from a couple of weeks ago.
Post by Ian J. Ball
 Anyway, this is the first episode of this show that I would describe
as being "mostly OK", but that was largely because this one did away
with the horrid "science" and the grasping "human interest" stories, and
basically was a straight spy-vs-spy story.
 In this one, Finola (who is passively-aggressively resenting Bryan,
after her discovery that he's keeping stuff from her in the previous
episode) and Bryan have to spring into action when terrorist(?) group
Influx tests some of their alien doohickey tech as a dress rehersal for
a bigger "attack" in Manhattan. Can Finola and Bryan stop Influx in
time?...
 Unfortunately, the ending left a big dangling thread (though does
anyone really believe that Finola's dad is *not* the guy behind
Influx?!),
That hadn't occurred to me. But now that you mention it, that does
sound like the type of TV twist they'd go with.

Post by Ian J. Ball
maudlin "human interest" story garbage!...  :/
I watched:

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist - "Zoey's Extraordinary Birthday" - This
was almost pure background noise.

This Is Us - "Both Things Can Be True" - In this episode, the Us Family
deal with various melodramatic events in their life. I was a little
confused by the final scene at the end. Were all of those women Kevin's
ex girlfriends?

Kung Fu - Pilot episode - A young Chinese American woman gets fed up
with her overbearing mother trying to control her life so she moves to
China and spends three years of her life studying in a temple. One day
the temple is attacked by a mysterious group, and her Shifu is murdered
during the attack. One of the attackers also takes a magical sword.
Yes the sword has magic powers! Anyway upon realizing the Chinese
police are scared of the attackers she moves back home and tracks down
her boyfriend because her ex-boyfriend works for the SF DA's office, so
he can obviously help track down a mysterious gang in China. After
returning home she also has to deal with family melodrama including her
mom and brother who both resent her for moving away. And her dad who
got caught up with a loan shark. This was just barely above background
noise. I found myself constantly rewinding scenes because I wasn't
paying attention. I am curious if this show will crossover with the
Arrowverse since it has the same producer.
A Friend
2021-04-08 19:23:01 UTC
Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist - "Zoey's Extraordinary Birthday" - This
was almost pure background noise.
I was busy working at a new job and had forgotten it was my 30th
birthday until late that night, when my parents called. I really
should have turned off my phone, but turning off phones was a new
thing, and I wasn't used to doing it yet.
anim8rfsk
2021-04-09 02:25:30 UTC
In article
Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist - "Zoey's Extraordinary Birthday" - This
was almost pure background noise.
I was busy working at a new job and had forgotten it was my 30th
birthday until late that night, when my parents called. I really
should have turned off my phone, but turning off phones was a new
thing, and I wasn't used to doing it yet.
Happy birthday!
Go ahead, rub it in. <sound of weeping and gnashing of teeth>

I was a lot younger then. These days, it could kill me.
anim8rfsk
2021-04-08 20:26:58 UTC
Kung Fu - Pilot episode - A young Chinese American woman gets fed up
with her overbearing mother trying to control her life so she moves to
China and spends three years of her life studying in a
temple.
Sort of. Three weeks before graduating Harvard that her mother forced her
to go to her mother sent her on a cultural trip to China which turned out
to actually be her mother trying to force her to marry a Chinese guy.
Fleeing from this horror she stumbled into the temple and decided to stay.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
One day
the temple is attacked by a mysterious group, and her Shifu is murdered
during the attack. One of the attackers also takes a magical sword.
Yes the sword has magic powers!
And it burns her hand and they’re trying to read the burns so I guess the
sword must be covered with tiny rating and she’s got a clue like in Raiders
of the lost Ark.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
Anyway upon realizing the Chinese
police are scared of the attackers she moves back home
Without help from home. Wonder how she paid for it? Did she still have a
three-year-old return ticket that was good?
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
and tracks down
her boyfriend because her ex-boyfriend works for the SF DA’s office, so
he can obviously help track down a mysterious gang in China.
Or possibly anywhere in the world

After
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
returning home she also has to deal with family melodrama including her
mom and brother who both resent her for moving away. And her dad who
You forgot her valley girl sister. If her mom is so oppressive how come she
lets the sister do whatever she wants?
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
got caught up with a loan shark. This was just barely above background
noise. I found myself constantly rewinding scenes because I wasn't
paying attention. I am curious if this show will crossover with the
Arrowverse since it has the same producer.
Yeah, that crossed my mind to, but luckily I won’t be around to find out.
2021-04-08 20:53:04 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
One day
the temple is attacked by a mysterious group, and her Shifu is murdered
during the attack. One of the attackers also takes a magical sword.
Yes the sword has magic powers!
And it burns her hand and they’re trying to read the burns so I guess the
sword must be covered with tiny rating and she’s got a clue like in Raiders
of the lost Ark.
"But take back one kadam to honor the Hebrew god whose Ark this is..."

"They're digging in the wrong place!"
anim8rfsk
2021-04-15 18:30:35 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
One day the temple is attacked by a mysterious group, and her Shifu is
murdered during the attack. One of the attackers also takes a magical
sword. Yes the sword has magic powers!
And it burns her hand and they're trying to read the burns so I guess the
sword must be covered with tiny rating and she's got a clue like in
Raiders of the lost Ark.
Did I hear her friend tell her it burns you if you're not worthy?
If so, then was the person who stole it without being burnt worthy?
What does Kung Fuey plan on doing when she tracks it down if it
doesn;t let her touvh it?
Anyway upon realizing the Chinese police are scared of the attackers she
moves back home and tracks down her boyfriend because her ex-boyfriend
works for the SF DA’s office, so he can obviously help track down a
mysterious gang in China.
Or possibly anywhere in the world
Heh.
After returning home she also has to deal with family melodrama including
her mom and brother who both resent her for moving away. And her dad who
got caught up with a loan shark. This was just barely above background
noise. I found myself constantly rewinding scenes because I wasn't
paying attention. I am curious if this show will crossover with the
Arrowverse since it has the same producer.
Yeah, that crossed my mind to, but luckily I won’t be around to find out.
Aren't all his shows connected in some way?

Trump won.
anim8rfsk
2021-04-15 19:47:48 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
One day the temple is attacked by a mysterious group, and her Shifu is
murdered during the attack. One of the attackers also takes a magical
sword. Yes the sword has magic powers!
And it burns her hand and they're trying to read the burns so I guess the
sword must be covered with tiny rating and she's got a clue like in
Raiders of the lost Ark.
Did I hear her friend tell her it burns you if you're not worthy?
If so, then was the person who stole it without being burnt worthy?
What does Kung Fuey plan on doing when she tracks it down if it
doesn;t let her touvh it?
I think they are measuring worthiness by how advanced your kung fu is.
2021-04-08 20:30:11 UTC
[...]
That may depend on if any of the Arrowverse shows are still around in a
couple of years. They all seem to be winding down, have announced final
seasons or are already gone.
--
Troll, troll, troll your post gently down the thread
Angrily, angrily, angrily, the net's a nut's scream.
Ian J. Ball
2021-04-08 21:00:32 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Yes - "Flash" seems to be the only one that resists dying.

But I suspect this will be "Legends" last season, it's already "Black
Lightning's", "Stargirl" is not an "Arrowverse" show, and I think
"BatGRRRRL" has been such an abject failure (I've seen multiple ads
from The C-Wub basically *begging* people to go watch season #2 via
streaming!) that I suspect the C-Wub may actually cut their losses!

That would leave just "Flash".
2021-04-08 22:09:46 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I’ve never watched stargirl but she was in the arrowverse crisis and got
her own universe out of it.
Post by Ian J. Ball
“BatGRRRRL” has been such an abject failure (I’ve seen multiple ads
from The C-Wub basically *begging* people to go watch season #2 via
streaming!) that I suspect the C-Wub may actually cut their losses!
That would leave just "Flash".
And stupidman and lameass. They are claiming that it got its production
cut short by Covid which is why they’re filling in with stupidgirl and on
every episode of stupidgirl they’re announcing stupidman will be back in
May. I’m not sure if that means that’s all the stupidgirls they’ve got or
if there’s going to be another half season of stupidgirl once stupidman
runs out of shows again.

Aren’t they still threatening a spin off from Black lightning?

2021-04-08 22:15:37 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
It's separate - it's even filmed in Atlanta and it came from DC
Universe. It's not a Berlanti show.
“BatGRRRRL” has been such an abject failure (I’ve seen multiple ads
from The C-Wub basically *begging* people to go watch season #2 via
streaming!) that I suspect the C-Wub may actually cut their losses!
That would leave just "Flash".
And stupidman and lameass.
True. But as Arthur pointed out, that show is 15 years in the future,
so it's probably "separated" from the other shows too.
Post by anim8rfsk
They are claiming that it got its production
cut short by Covid which is why they’re filling in with stupidgirl and on
every episode of stupidgirl they’re announcing stupidman will be back in
May. I’m not sure if that means that’s all the stupidgirls they’ve got or
if there’s going to be another half season of stupidgirl once stupidman
runs out of shows again.
Aren’t they still threatening a spin off from Black lightning?
Yes, but like "The 100" and "Arrow" spinoffs, I am betting that it
never happens.
2021-04-08 22:21:15 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
In your wiki about the arrowverse you point out that they had a planned
crossover for stupidman and batteredwoman that only got canceled because of
the Covid. That may well throw an adjustable spanner into the 15 years in
the future works.
2021-04-08 22:38:46 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
Which from what I read here has been shedding cast at a rapid rate.
(I'm recording but haven't watched any of the current season yet.)
anim8rfsk
2021-04-09 01:56:53 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I finally stopped watching when they got rid of Ralph and his wife. They’ve
gotten rid of all but one of the white men and I think all but one of the
white women. And everybody else keeps leaving and then coming back.
2021-04-08 21:08:35 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
The CW is busy defiling Nancy drew and the Hardy boys and Tom Swift now.

2021-04-08 22:21:16 UTC
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
[...]
I'd like to "defile" *that* Nancy Drew!! ;D
For all intensive porpoises that seems like it would be a really easy thing
to do.

2021-04-15 18:24:46 UTC
Kung Fu - Pilot episode - A young Chinese American woman gets fed up
with her overbearing mother trying to control her life so she moves to
China and spends three years of her life studying in a temple. One day
the temple is attacked by a mysterious group, and her Shifu is murdered
during the attack. One of the attackers also takes a magical sword.
Yes the sword has magic powers! Anyway upon realizing the Chinese
police are scared of the attackers she moves back home and tracks down
her boyfriend because her ex-boyfriend works for the SF DA's office, so
he can obviously help track down a mysterious gang in China. After
returning home she also has to deal with family melodrama including her
mom and brother who both resent her for moving away.
They did?
I must have missed that part.

--
Trump won.