17 Common Phrases in the News and What They Actually Mean
2021-10-19 22:17:23 UTC
As everyone knows, the news media knows what's best for us and they alway
tell the truth. The only problem is that they use really big and complicate
words that we simple folk just don't understand. How will you ever keep up
Well, don't worry! We prepared this special translation guide just for you, s
the next time you're watching the news you'll be able to follow along!

1) "Debunked conspiracy theory" = a completely factual event that is 100% tru
and we don't like it

2) "This is dangerous misinformation" = we don't really agree with it bu
people are still sharing it

3) "Farm animal bacterial infection treatment" = penicillin

4) "Conservative panelist" = guy who once voted for Ronald Reagan, possibly b
mistake

5) "Super-spreader event" = gatherings of people we don't like

6) "This is the end of democracy" = Trump said a thing

7) "Settled science" = a non-reviewed study by a possibly fictitiou
organization that just came out this morning

8) "Widespread outrage" = 3 people on Twitter got mad

9) "Racist statements" = literally means nothing

10) "Informal gathering of like-minded people that fosters a sense o
camaraderie and community among friends and neighbors" = bread lines

11) "Zero" = anywhere from zero to several trillion

12) "Republicans pounce" = uh oh... a Democrat raped someone

13) "Mostly peaceful" = it was hyper-violent but we agree with it

14) "Violent insurrection" = it was mostly peaceful but we hate it

14) "Racist dog whistle" = a super-secret whistle that only racists can hea
and only we heard it

15) "Anonymous sources" = we totally made this up

16) "This is an apple" = this is a banana

https://babylonbee.com/news/the-babylon-bee-presents-the-official-mainstream-media-translator/
anim8rfsk
2021-10-20 01:47:30 UTC
As everyone knows, the news media knows what's best for us and they always
tell the truth. The only problem is that they use really big and
complicated
words that we simple folk just don't understand. How will you
ever keep up?
Well, don't worry! We prepared this special translation guide just for you,
so
the next time you're watching the news you'll be able to follow along!
1) "Debunked conspiracy theory" = a completely factual event that is 100% true
and we don't like it
2) "This is dangerous misinformation" = we don't really agree with it but
people are still sharing it
3) "Farm animal bacterial infection treatment" = penicillin
4) "Conservative panelist" = guy who once voted for Ronald Reagan, possibly by
mistake
5) "Super-spreader event" = gatherings of people we don't like
6) "This is the end of democracy" = Trump said a thing
7) "Settled science" = a non-reviewed study by a possibly fictitious
organization that just came out this morning
8) "Widespread outrage" = 3 people on Twitter got mad
9) "Racist statements" = literally means nothing
10) "Informal gathering of like-minded people that fosters a sense of
camaraderie and community among friends and neighbors" = bread lines
11) "Zero" = anywhere from zero to several trillion
12) "Republicans pounce" = uh oh... a Democrat raped someone
13) "Mostly peaceful" = it was hyper-violent but we agree with it
14) "Violent insurrection" = it was mostly peaceful but we hate it
14) "Racist dog whistle" = a super-secret whistle that only racists can hear
and only we heard it
15) "Anonymous sources" = we totally made this up
16) "This is an apple" = this is a banana
https://babylonbee.com/news/the-babylon-bee-presents-the-official-mainstream-media-translator/
I’m sending you a meme via the Twitter.
2021-10-20 10:51:02 UTC
As everyone knows, the news media knows what's best for us and they always
tell the truth. The only problem is that they use really big and complicated
words that we simple folk just don't understand. How will you ever keep up?
Well, don't worry! We prepared this special translation guide just for you, so
[...]
Wow, that fact that a huge pile of shit like this could actually be
considered "humor" makes me a little nauseous.
moviePig
2021-10-20 14:22:46 UTC
[...]
Has Babylon Bee gone Conservative? Or was it always? Or maybe it's
just anti- current Administration?...
trotsky
It aspires to be right wing "humor" but it's just shit.
BTR1701
2021-10-20 21:16:49 UTC
Has Babylon Bee gone Conservative?  Or was it always?  Or maybe it's
just anti- current Administration?...
Hah. You're correct (about the bias). MediaBiasFactCheck says so...
It's not media. It's a joke site, so I have no idea why MediaBiasFactCheck ha
taken the case. (Actually, I do have an idea and it has to wit
MediaBiasFactCheck's own bias.) Do they 'fact check' the jokes on all satir
sites and list their biases, or just the conservatives ones?

And yes, jokesters have bias. The site's publishers freely admit it. But onc
again, since they're making jokes, not reporting news, who cares?

I notice the usual suspects aren't getting the vapors over The Onion, whos
bias is left.

This is just another one of those things-- lampooning your politica
opponents-- that's (supposedly) only bad when conservatives do it.
moviePig
2021-10-20 22:20:24 UTC
Has Babylon Bee gone Conservative?  Or was it always?  Or maybe it's
just anti- current Administration?...
Hah. You're correct (about the bias). MediaBiasFactCheck says so...
It's not media. It's a joke site, so I have no idea why MediaBiasFactCheck has
taken the case. (Actually, I do have an idea and it has to with
MediaBiasFactCheck's own bias.) Do they 'fact check' the jokes on all satire
sites and list their biases, or just the conservatives ones?
And yes, jokesters have bias. The site's publishers freely admit it. But once
again, since they're making jokes, not reporting news, who cares?
I notice the usual suspects aren't getting the vapors over The Onion, whose
bias is left.
This is just another one of those things-- lampooning your political
opponents-- that's (supposedly) only bad when conservatives do it.
MBFC rates Bee as 'Satire Right-Bias'. Onion it rates as 'Satire'.
Moreover, The Onion has always seemed to me an equal-opportunity archer.
BTR1701
Of course it does.
moviePig
2021-10-20 23:09:16 UTC
[...]
You seem to read the Bee a lot. Can you recall an article lampooning
Conservatives? ...maybe even link to it?
BTR1701
2021-10-20 23:20:28 UTC
Has Babylon Bee gone Conservative? Or was it always? Or maybe
it's just anti- current Administration?...
Hah. You're correct (about the bias). MediaBiasFactCheck says so...
It's not media. It's a joke site, so I have no idea why
MediaBiasFactCheck has taken the case. (Actually, I do have an idea
and it has to with MediaBiasFactCheck's own bias.) Do they 'fact
check' the jokes on all satire sites and list their biases, or just
the conservatives ones?
And yes, jokesters have bias. The site's publishers freely admit it.
But once again, since they're making jokes, not reporting news, who
cares?
I notice the usual suspects aren't getting the vapors over The Onion,
whose bias is left.
This is just another one of those things-- lampooning your political
opponents-- that's (supposedly) only bad when conservatives do it.
MBFC rates Bee as 'Satire Right-Bias'. Onion it rates as 'Satire'.
Of course it does.
You seem to read the Bee a lot. Can you recall an article lampooning
Conservatives?
Why is that relevant? No one's denying that Bee has a bias. Not even the
people who publish it.

The question is why Facebook and Twitter and your MediaBiasFactCheck and
mainstream 'news' orgs feel the need to "fact check" jokes. But only
from the Bee. Twitter and Facebook never "fact check" jokes that lampoon
conservatives. Neither does MSNBC. But they do with the Bee.

I wonder why that is?
Adam H. Kerman
2021-10-20 23:24:11 UTC
[...]
THAT'S NOT FUNNY.

Gawd. I read the op-ed mime dug up condemning Dave Chappelle's humor,
informing me he's getting away with racism disguised as jokes.
BTR1701
2021-10-20 23:59:33 UTC
[...]
And even if they were racist jokes, aren't black people supposed to have
a shield around them that allows them to say racist things with
impunity? Aren't they allowed to do things like say 'nigger' when no one
else can because the standards are different for them?

Where are all the critical race theory folks on this? Shouldn't they be
pointing out that it's impossible for Chappelle to be racist because
it's impossible for blacks to be racist?

It's exhausting trying to keep up with all the shifting rules and
exceptions to this social justice PC nonsense.
moviePig
2021-10-21 02:13:19 UTC
[...]
I wonder why you think mediaBiasFactCheck "fact checks" jokes on a site
they rate 'Satire'. I also wonder why you think Onion's bias is 'left'.
trotsky
2021-10-21 09:47:48 UTC
   On Oct 20, 2021 at 1:19:41 PM PDT, "moviePig"
[...]
I think Derpshit's brain has left.

trotsky
2021-10-21 09:18:03 UTC
[...]
Because no one gives a shit about such a weak online publication. Hope
this helps.
Roger Blake
2021-10-20 23:16:56 UTC
You seem to read the Bee a lot. Can you recall an article lampooning
Conservatives? ...maybe even link to it?
There is no shortage of filthy liberal scum doing that already, and a
critical shortage of satire pointing out the foibles of the Left. Although
presented as comedy this particular Bee article is 100% true.

Death to the Left.