Today's premieres and other notes (Friday, July 24)
Robin Miller
2020-07-24 21:21:27 UTC
Streaming:

The Kissing Booth 2 (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

The Kissing Booth is open for business again! High school senior Elle
juggles a long-distance relationship with her dreamy boyfriend, college
applications with her best friend, and a new friendship with a handsome
classmate that could change everything.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81026818

Offering to the Storm (Ofrenda a la tormenta) (movie) (3:01
am, Netflix)

Spanish film.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80990328

Sing On! Spain [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Netflix)

In this fast-paced, high-energy karaoke competition, singers from all
walks of life battle it out for up to 30,000 euros!

https://www.netflix.com/title/81136570

Animal Crackers (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

Animated children's film.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/animal-crackers

Dragons: Rescue Riders: Secrets of the Songwing (special)
(3:01 am, Netflix)

Animated.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81055026

Radioactive (movie) (3:01 am, Amazon Prime Video)

Rosamund Pike and Sam Riley star as Marie and Pierre Curie in a biopic
about the two Nobel Prize-winning scientists that failed to impress
critics on the festival circuit last fall. Marjane Satrapi (Persepolis)
directs the adaptation of Lauren Redniss’s award-winning graphic novel.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/radioactive [score 55]

French Biryani (movie) (3:01 am, Amazon Prime Video)

Indian film.

Jim Gaffigan: The Pale Tourist (comedy special) (3:01 am,
Amazon Prime Video)

Rogue Trip [new; complete season 1] (3:01 am, Disney+)

It’s about the destination and the journey. Join Bob and Mack Woodruff
on their adventure of a lifetime in Nat Geo’s Rogue Trip, an Original
Series. All six episodes streaming July 24.

Broadcast and cable:

The Greatest #AtHome Videos [new] (8 pm, CBS)

Raven About Bunk'd (special cross-over episode) (8 pm,
Disney Channel)

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/entertainment/entertainment-news/raven-symone-and-miranda-may-on-raven-about-bunkd-crossover/2528859/

Room 104 (final season 4 premiere) (11 pm, HBO)

The final season of the anthology series from the Duplass brothers
features Ron Funches, Erinn Hayes, Jillian Bell, Linda Lavin, Kevin
Nealon, Dave Bautista, Melissa Fumero, and more.

Tomorrow's advance notes:

Stalked by My Husband's Ex (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)

After accepting his proposal, hospitality queen Kristen Carter couldn’t
be more excited to marry Ryan Munson, and to become a mother to his
ten-year-old daughter, Lisa. But, when strange and deadly things start
to happen around her, Kristen starts to worry whether she’ll ever see
her wedding day at all. Alex McKenna, Juliana Dever, Adam Huss, Joey Rae
Blair, and Melissa Ordway star. (2020)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11871120/

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/stalked-by-my-husbands-ex

NBA Countdown (special) (8-10 pm, ABC)

Wild India (special) (8 pm, BBC America)

Pit Bulls & Parolees (season 16 premiere) (9 pm, Animal
Planet)

Surviving Joe Exotic (special) (10 pm, Animal Planet)

Todd McFarlane: Like Hell I Won't (documentary) (11 pm, Syfy)

Todd McFarlane: Like Hell I Won't details the legendary comic book
artist and entrepreneur's obstacle-ridden career leading up to the
milestone release of the 300th issue of Spawn - McFarlane's hit
horror-fantasy series. Find out how he literally "raised hell" to push
boundaries and build an empire.

--Robin
anim8rfsk
2020-07-25 03:27:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/HhhpRUxxkVQ
Todd McFarlane: Like Hell I Won't (documentary) (11 pm, Syfy)
Todd McFarlane: Like Hell I Won't details the legendary comic book
artist and entrepreneur's obstacle-ridden career leading up to the
milestone release of the 300th issue of Spawn - McFarlane's hit
horror-fantasy series. Find out how he literally "raised hell" to push
boundaries and build an empire.
McFarlane lives nearby. Every other word out of his mouth is the F*bomb. I
mean that literally.

"So fing Sue fing ate the fing pie while fing Fred fing drove the fing recv
fing down to the fing bottom of the fing Grand fing Canyon."

It grows very tiresome very quickly.

It would be interesting to see if he's learned to speak on camera yet.

Not interesting enough to watch though.
http://youtu.be/lPVVjt-mizg
F'ing thanks!
--Robin
Robin Miller
2020-07-25 04:45:52 UTC
Todd McFarlane: Like Hell I Won't (documentary) (11 pm, Syfy)
Todd McFarlane: Like Hell I Won't details the legendary comic book
artist and entrepreneur's obstacle-ridden career leading up to the
milestone release of the 300th issue of Spawn - McFarlane's hit
horror-fantasy series. Find out how he literally "raised hell" to push
boundaries and build an empire.
McFarlane lives nearby. Every other word out of his mouth is the F*bomb. I
mean that literally.
"So fing Sue fing ate the fing pie while fing Fred fing drove the fing recv
fing down to the fing bottom of the fing Grand fing Canyon."
It grows very tiresome very quickly.
It would be interesting to see if he's learned to speak on camera yet.
Not interesting enough to watch though.
http://youtu.be/lPVVjt-mizg
F'ing thanks!
I watched last summer's first season of City on a Hill recently, and
just about every character was like that. It made me wonder whether
there really are people who talk like that.

--Robin
anim8rfsk
2020-07-25 04:52:49 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Well now you know. :D

McF'ingarlane was young at the time, this was long ago. Maybe he outgrew it?
Micky DuPree
2020-08-05 13:46:59 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
http://youtu.be/lPVVjt-mizg
F'ing thanks!
I watched last summer's first season of City on a Hill recently, and
just about every character was like that. It made me wonder whether
there really are people who talk like that.
There are. I think that on premium cable, though, it's part of a
shorthand to indicate people who are either hardbitten criminals,
hardbitten cops, lower class, or some combination of same. My mom was
O.K. with sex and nudity on TV and with a little violence if it was over
with quickly, but profanity made her very uncomfortable. She loved _Sex
and the City_, but she loved it even more when a basic cable channel
reran it with the f-word bleeped out.

-Micky
Robin Miller
2020-08-05 14:41:31 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Robin Miller
http://youtu.be/lPVVjt-mizg
F'ing thanks!
I watched last summer's first season of City on a Hill recently, and
just about every character was like that. It made me wonder whether
there really are people who talk like that.
There are. I think that on premium cable, though, it's part of a
shorthand to indicate people who are either hardbitten criminals,
hardbitten cops, lower class, or some combination of same. My mom was
O.K. with sex and nudity on TV and with a little violence if it was over
with quickly, but profanity made her very uncomfortable. She loved _Sex
and the City_, but she loved it even more when a basic cable channel
reran it with the f-word bleeped out.
-Micky
Same with my mom. We watch murder mysteries together, but she can't
abide a lot of profanity.

--Robin
Adam H. Kerman
2020-08-05 16:22:06 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Robin Miller
http://youtu.be/lPVVjt-mizg
F'ing thanks!
I watched last summer's first season of City on a Hill recently, and
just about every character was like that. It made me wonder whether
there really are people who talk like that.
There are. I think that on premium cable, though, it's part of a
shorthand to indicate people who are either hardbitten criminals,
hardbitten cops, lower class, or some combination of same.
Eh

I can usually tell that from the setting or the performance. It's more
fun when the dialogue is witty.

In my real life observations, the ones who talk like that are girls, not
boys, of high school age through late 20s on the bus to or from jobs,
talking loudly on their cell phones complaining endlessly about some
meaningless drama created by somebody else.

I don't think the writers are presenting characters realistically. I
think it's a network note from Showtime.

The reason I think that it's a network note -- Add more swearing to justify
premium cable! -- is this famous episode of The Wire clearly making fun
of HBO programming executives:

BTR1701
2020-08-05 19:08:52 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
They really took that to heart with DESIGNATED SURVIVOR. When Netflix
bought it from ABC, it was brutally obvious that some suit told the
producers that they had to make the show grittier so viewers would know
it was no longer on baby-TV, and suddenly President Kiefer Sutherland
and the entire White House staff were saying 'fuck' and 'shit' in every
scene.

Honestly, if they wanted to hang a neon sign on the fact that they were
no longer on broadcast TV, they should have just had lots of nekkid
nudity with extremely bunk-worthy Italia Ricci.
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-05 19:12:21 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
Was she still skinny on this, though?...

Ian (Based on her recent Hallmark Channel efforts, I'm not sure she's
still "nakedly nude"-worthy these days...)
2020-08-05 20:26:39 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Robin Miller
[...]
Well, she wasn't a hippopotamus or anything. I'd have been more than
happy to see her nekkidly nude.

BTR1701
2020-08-05 19:04:33 UTC
Post by Micky DuPree
Post by Robin Miller
http://youtu.be/lPVVjt-mizg
F'ing thanks!
I watched last summer's first season of City on a Hill recently, and
just about every character was like that. It made me wonder whether
there really are people who talk like that.
There are. I think that on premium cable, though, it's part of a
shorthand to indicate people who are either hardbitten criminals,
hardbitten cops, lower class, or some combination of same. My mom was
O.K. with sex and nudity on TV and with a little violence if it was over
with quickly, but profanity made her very uncomfortable. She loved _Sex
and the City_, but she loved it even more when a basic cable channel
reran it with the f-word bleeped out.
I have a friend who's like that. He has a 16-year-old daughter and he
still previews every movie before letting her watch, not to screen for
sex or intense violence, but bad words. If a movie has more than a few
'shits' she can't see it and if there's even one 'fuck' it's off the
table.

It makes no sense considering she's a teenager, which means she's
certainly hearing those words literally every day at school from her
peers. Plus she has an iPhone and iPad, which means she can easily watch
what she's been banned from watching if she wants to.

Not my place to say anything, though, so I just silently boggle without
comment.
suzeeq
2020-07-25 05:42:54 UTC
[...]
Todd McFarlane, or Seth McFarlane?
--Robin
anim8rfsk
2020-07-25 06:15:41 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Todd. I know nothing of Seth in real life.
2020-07-25 16:32:04 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
Okay. About every other sentence my younger son uses has that word in
it. It does get old fast.
--Robin
anim8rfsk
2020-07-25 19:31:51 UTC
Today's premieres and other notes (Friday, July 24)
July 25, 2020 at 9:32:04 AM MST
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
I get it if you just hit your thumb with a Sears Craftsman hammer, destroying
it (the hammer, not the thumb) or you're trying to make sense of one of Ian's
Wiki entries, but in everyday 'how's that burger' conversation, yeah.
2020-07-25 19:54:00 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
[...]
That could be how most of the younger men talk. My son is 38 and most of
his friends use it frequently too. Or maybe it's just his friends
because his 3 years older brother doesn't use it as much. But he's got a
young daughter so maybe he trained himself out of using it. He tones it
down when he's around others some of the time.
anim8rfsk
2020-07-25 20:35:01 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by anim8rfsk
Today's premieres and other notes (Friday, July 24)
July 25, 2020 at 9:32:04 AM MST
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
Fri, 24 Jul 2020 14:21:27 -0700 Robin
[...]
My Mormon friends don't like the way I talk. :)

But literally every other word???
2020-07-25 23:08:32 UTC
Post by anim8rfsk
Post by suzeeq
[...]
Yeah I've come across a few people like that, who use it 3 or 4 times
per sentence, and not all the time. But it's a bit much.
Ian J. Ball
2020-07-25 03:50:11 UTC
Post by Robin Miller
Stalked by My Husband's Ex (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
After accepting his proposal, hospitality queen Kristen Carter couldn’t
be more excited to marry Ryan Munson, and to become a mother to his
ten-year-old daughter, Lisa. But, when strange and deadly things start
to happen around her, Kristen starts to worry whether she’ll ever see
her wedding day at all. Alex McKenna, Juliana Dever, Adam Huss, Joey
Rae Blair, and Melissa Ordway star. (2020)
--Robin
This looks marginal. I've gotten pretty far down my (other)
movies-to-watch list, so I may watch this anyway. But this definitely
isn't one I feel like I "need" to watch. Ditto Sunday's Lifetime movie
too.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure Hallmark hasn't run a new movie during all
of July (and June?...).