Around the World in 80 Days week 2
2022-01-10 04:20:03 UTC
I despise this show.

This loudmouth on a train in Italy is nasty to his son, who sees the
balloon. The father won't look. Phileas promptly crashes it, having
flown from France but not yet understanding how the controls work.

There is then a very long delay. In the novel, Phileas was always
moving unless he was held up. It was a plot point.

It gives Abigail a chance to express her dissatisfaction with Phileas as
a man who won't explain why he's on the adventure. He never told her
about the post cards calling him a coward.

He somehow forces a passenger train to stop, and they have no trouble
getting cabins. Passepartout is sent to third class.

The loudmouth is nasty to Phileas but his son is fascinated and gives
Phileas a book written by Jules Verne, breaking the fourth wall crap.

We learn that the father has barely lived with the son and with the
death of his mother, he still won't care for him and is foisting him off
on an aunt. Father and son have a pointless fight over a model rocket
that the son wanted to show Phileas, then Phileas returns later while
the father tries to intimidate the son into respecting him. The father
wants to get violent with Phileas but Abigail shows up, witnessing
Phileas retreating.

Abigail is unhappy with Phileas. She too thinks he's a coward.

In third class, there is a card game that is attended by THE ENGINEER
AND FIREMAN. There is no one in the locomotive cab.

Then there is a ridiculous fight between Passepartout and the engineer.
The engineer gets knocked out.

There was not a bit of Jules Verne in this week's episode. I couldn't
even make it to the end.

Deleted the episode and cancelled the series recording. I was not
entirely happy about continuing on with the series once I read that it
had been renewed and they weren't going to complete the novel in one
series.
RichA
The original show (a cartoon) was boring so is the story. Toss in modern wokeness, you have trash.
anim8rfsk
2022-01-10 05:35:02 UTC
I despise this show.
LOL
I’ll go look and see if it recorded this time and meet you back here later
2022-01-10 08:17:48 UTC
I despise this show.
Well, yeah, there’s that.

Once again the DVR said it would record it and then it wasn’t in the list
of recorded shows but when I search for it it came right up. I should see
if I can record anything else on PBS.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
This loudmouth on a train in Italy is nasty to his son, who sees the
balloon. The father won't look.
Neither will anyone else which is sort of stupid. You would think somebody
would glance out the window.

The balloon casts a shadow that is easily twice as big as it is. That’s not
how that works. That’s not how any of that works.

Post by Adam H. Kerman
flown from France but not yet understanding how the controls work.
Yeah. What the hell? Oh and the kid says it’s a hot air balloon which it
pretty clearly isn’t.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
There is then a very long delay. In the novel, Phileas was always
moving unless he was held up. It was a plot point.
I am not sure there was a long delay. It was an amazingly incompetent bit
of filmmaking that made it look like they had been sitting on the tracks
waiting for a train to come by for three days. But then I realized they
were in Italy (I thought maybe they’d crashed in France 15 minutes after
the last episode). So I think day one was getting to France and days two
and three were spent in France and then getting to Italy and the train came
along a short time later.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
It gives Abigail a chance to express her dissatisfaction with Phileas as
a man who won't explain why he's on the adventure. He never told her
about the post cards calling him a coward.
There’s a weird bit in there about how he comes to Sunday dinner at her
house. Did you have any idea in the world that they knew each other before
she joined his expedition? Or that he has regular social engagements?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
He somehow forces a passenger train to stop, and they have no trouble
getting cabins. Passepartout is sent to third class.
How many classes can there be on a three car train?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
The loudmouth is nasty to Phileas but his son is fascinated and gives
Phileas a book written by Jules Verne, breaking the fourth wall crap.
Yeah. Plus the kids model spaceship was right out of the early 1960s life
magazine illustrations I used to cut out and put in scrapbooks.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
We learn that the father has barely lived with the son and with the
death of his mother, he still won't care for him and is foisting him off
on an aunt. Father and son have a pointless fight over a model rocket
that the son wanted to show Phileas, then Phileas returns later while
the father tries to intimidate the son into respecting him. The father
wants to get violent with Phileas but Abigail shows up, witnessing
Phileas retreating.
Abigail is unhappy with Phileas. She too thinks he's a coward.
Then she should send him an anonymous note saying so.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
In third class, there is a card game that is attended by THE ENGINEER
AND FIREMAN. There is no one in the locomotive cab.
LOL I didn’t notice that. Wouldn’t a long train ride need multiple crews?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Then there is a ridiculous fight between Passepartout and the engineer.
The engineer gets knocked out.
There was not a bit of Jules Verne in this week's episode. I couldn't
even make it to the end.
They get the kid to safety and continue running with 10 minutes to get to
the next conveyance.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
we
Deleted the episode and cancelled the series recording. I was not
entirely happy about continuing on with the series once I read that it
had been renewed and they weren't going to complete the novel in one
series.
Yes, that’s a problem for me as well. So if they hadn’t been renewed with
this thing just stop with them in China or something?

In the dinner scene they remark that Phileas is in formal dinner attire.
Where the hell did he get that? They escaped the balloon crash with the
clothes on their back and the one small satchel Paspatou is carrying really
should just be full of cash.

The short making of at the end gives you some idea how they did the bridge
sequence. Tenant sits there talking about how the show is filling in all
the stuff Verne didn’t tell us. Yeah, asswipe, that’s sort of the problem.

There’s also a scene where he says they need to get rid of all the cars
except the last one. Clearly he was supposed to say they should get rid of
all the cars except the first one.

I will say this, the picture quality was much better than the first episode
was.
2022-01-10 14:18:52 UTC
. . .
There is then a very long delay. In the novel, Phileas was always
moving unless he was held up. It was a plot point.
I am not sure there was a long delay. It was an amazingly incompetent bit
of filmmaking that made it look like they had been sitting on the tracks
waiting for a train to come by for three days.
I hate those floating captions. I first noticed that with Quantum of
Solace and I wish they'd just go away. Yes, I thought the same thing
then realized it should have said Day 3 and we should have seen the
caption at the beginning of the first scene.

My complaint is that they just sat on the tracks, giving up. In the
novel, Phileas had plenty of setback but kept moving. He would have
walked at the very least and he wouldn't have known the train schedule.
Post by anim8rfsk
But then I realized they
were in Italy (I thought maybe they'd crashed in France 15 minutes after
the last episode). So I think day one was getting to France and days two
and three were spent in France and then getting to Italy and the train came
along a short time later.
Right. He couldn't have known that.
It gives Abigail a chance to express her dissatisfaction with Phileas as
a man who won't explain why he's on the adventure. He never told her
about the post cards calling him a coward.
There's a weird bit in there about how he comes to Sunday dinner at her
house. Did you have any idea in the world that they knew each other before
she joined his expedition? Or that he has regular social engagements?
I must have put that dialogue out of mind, but yeah, he was established
as a socially-inept loner.
He somehow forces a passenger train to stop, and they have no trouble
getting cabins. Passepartout is sent to third class.
How many classes can there be on a three car train?
Good point.
The loudmouth is nasty to Phileas but his son is fascinated and gives
Phileas a book written by Jules Verne, breaking the fourth wall crap.
Yeah. Plus the kids model spaceship was right out of the early 1960s life
magazine illustrations I used to cut out and put in scrapbooks.
Didn't H.G. Welles predict rocket ships? I think they confused the two
authors.
. . .
In third class, there is a card game that is attended by THE ENGINEER
AND FIREMAN. There is no one in the locomotive cab.
LOL I didn't notice that.
There was an establishment shot of the fire door popping open. These
doors are latched with heavy-duty latches and that cannot happen. The
latch is controlled with a foot pedal. There were automatic stokers
developed at some point but that in the year this is set, I don't think.
In any event, the cab is NEVER unattended. Sure, it's possible for the
engineer or fireman to leave for brief periods with the other one
handling the duties of both but a completely unattended cab to go play
cards? Give me a break.
Post by anim8rfsk
Wouldn't a long train ride need multiple crews?
Yes. The train crew might ride along, but the engine crew is changed at
crew-change points. Steam locomotives might be changed along the way
too, plus they have to be watered after so many miles.
. . .
They get the kid to safety and continue running with 10 minutes to get to
the next conveyance.
Ok. Does he stay with the aunt? I couldn't watch till the end. The
father clearly didn't want him.
. . .
In the dinner scene they remark that Phileas is in formal dinner attire.
Where the hell did he get that? They escaped the balloon crash with the
clothes on their back and the one small satchel Paspatou is carrying really
should just be full of cash.
In Paris, Phileas was robbed of all his cash when attacked by ruffians. It
then magically replenished itself. It was a plot point in the novel that
he carried cash with him and spent lavishly as the trip was expensive.
Post by anim8rfsk
. . .
I will say this, the picture quality was much better than the first episode
was.
You're right.

In the first episode, it looked like it was all darkened in post and
they added a lot of awful digital effects. I didn't see that in the
second episode, although the interior of the train was too dark.

I won't watch any more of these. Are you continuing to watch?
anim8rfsk
2022-01-10 14:33:27 UTC
Here’s an opposing viewpoint from someone who actually likes it in the
Verne group on the Facebook:

I’m enjoying the new adaptation of Around the World in 80 Days with David
Tennant. While it departs significantly from the novel, it does so it ways
that are rooted in the time and in Verne’s own life. Had Verne been allowed
to describe Fogg traveling through Paris, might he not have crossed paths
with members of the commune? (I doubt that Verne would have portrayed them
so sympathetically, but even so…) And who is Abigail Fix but a standin for
Nelly Bly? And might Fogg not also have crossed paths with the real Dupuy
de Lôme and his balloon design? (I mean, as much as I hate the tradition,
it seems that a balloon needs to appear in any film version of the story,
and this at least has some basis in history. And the visuals are
spectacular.)

And changing Fogg from the consummate self-confident Englishman to one
wracked with self-doubt? All I can say is that, as a sometime writer
myself, I know how hard it is to make a story dramatically Interesting
without significant INTERNAL conflict in the main character. So I’m willing
to grant them that — as long as they don’t mess up the Aouda subplot. That
remains to be seen.
2022-01-10 15:24:10 UTC
Here's an opposing viewpoint from someone who actually likes it in the
. . . And who is Abigail Fix but a standin for Nelly Bly? . . .
I thought of that immediately. Of course, if this viewer knew anything
about Nellie Bly other than her name, she'd know that Miss Bly was not
the daughter of a publisher whose father thinks very little of and was
not born into privilege. Yes, she wrote a best-selling memoir of her 72
day round-the-world journey which Verne himself complimented her on. Her
father did not pay her travel expenses; I'm not sure how they were paid
but she must have had monies up front from a publisher.

Abigail isn't even a journalist! There was a line of dialogue "I'm not a
note taker!" even though she is there to document Fogg's adventures.

Every journalist I've met is a consumate note taker. For 80 days, you don't
ever rely upon memory. I thought the character might work as giving Fogg's
diary a life, or someone he could bounce ideas off, but she's not being
used like that. She's not narrating. She's just someone else feeding into
Fogg's self-loathing and utter lack of confidence.
And changing Fogg from the consummate self-confident Englishman to one
wracked with self-doubt? All I can say is that, as a sometime writer
myself, I know how hard it is to make a story dramatically Interesting
without significant INTERNAL conflict in the main character.
Bonk

You make the story interesting by making the story interesting.

Verne's Fogg wasn't really the consumate Englishman. He was something of
an automaton at times. He'd suppressed his emotions in favor of
efficiency, sort of the Industrial Age efficiency personified. He was a
plot device, no question about it, but not the consumate Englishman
stereotype.

It was a fun adventure! That's how Verne made the story interesting! Who
cares about character growth?
. . .
anim8rfsk
2022-01-10 14:33:27 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
flown from France but not yet understanding how the controls work.
Yeah. What the hell? Oh and the kid says it’s a hot air balloon which it
pretty clearly isn’t.
So what kind of balloon is it then? Atomic-powered? Oh, hold on, you
must mean that it is "obviously" using hydrogen or helium,
Yes

not hot air,
right?
Post by Adam H. Kerman
It gives Abigail a chance to express her dissatisfaction with Phileas as
a man who won't explain why he's on the adventure. He never told her
about the post cards calling him a coward.
There’s a weird bit in there about how he comes to Sunday dinner at her
house. Did you have any idea in the world that they knew each other before
she joined his expedition? Or that he has regular social engagements?
Sunday dinner? Where they in NYC? Were the Reagan's also there?
Lol
He somehow forces a passenger train to stop, and they have no trouble
getting cabins. Passepartout is sent to third class.
How many classes can there be on a three car train?
How many classes can there be on a single passenger plane? As many as
the operator of the flight wants there to be....
Post by Adam H. Kerman
In third class, there is a card game that is attended by THE ENGINEER
AND FIREMAN. There is no one in the locomotive cab.
LOL I didn’t notice that. Wouldn’t a long train ride need multiple crews?
Perhaps the railway operator hires a lot of twins and the twins of the
engineer and fireman are driving the train while their doppelgangers
take a break? Yeah, pretty far-fetched but probably less so than the
national sofa database that NCIS used to solve a case. Or maybe there's
some sort of autopilot for the train that allow the engineer and fireman
to take breaks occasionally. Or most likely, there is a relief crew that
has taken over for a while.
Then there is a ridiculous fight between Passepartout and the engineer.
The engineer gets knocked out.
There was not a bit of Jules Verne in this week's episode. I couldn't
even make it to the end.
They get the kid to safety and continue running with 10 minutes to get to
the next conveyance.
Post by Adam H. Kerman
we
Deleted the episode and cancelled the series recording. I was not
entirely happy about continuing on with the series once I read that it
had been renewed and they weren't going to complete the novel in one
series.
Yes, that’s a problem for me as well. So if they hadn’t been renewed with
this thing just stop with them in China or something?
In the dinner scene they remark that Phileas is in formal dinner attire.
Where the hell did he get that? They escaped the balloon crash with the
clothes on their back and the one small satchel Paspatou is carrying really
should just be full of cash.
Clearly, there is a booth renting out formal dinner clothes on the
train. That's very common on your nicer European trains (except the ones
I've been on when I did the whole Eurailpass thing in '91.)
I would have liked that. But they made it clear it was his outfit.