What Did You Watch? 2020-08-02 (Sunday)
2020-08-03 08:30:41 UTC
The day Space X landed, I watched:

WE ARE THE 80'S

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN:
"The Lucky Cat". Clark and Jimmy do a story on a club whose members are
fanatically antisuperstitious, much to Jimmy's distress, but their
investigation takes a turn when bad things start happening to the
members. Of course, it turns out it wasn't the obvious suspect, who
resented their activities, but was in fact one of the members who burned
down his factory for the insurance money. Wait, why did he do stuff to
the other members, up to applying poison to their black cat that often
scratched people? Anyhow, I liked this ep b/c Clark was rather sarcastic
to Jimmy and Lois and had to reveal the guilty party without tipping off
the nitwits he's Superman.

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN:
"Superman Week". During "Superman Week" festivities, Jimmy Olson decides
to try to spy on a con-man while disguised as a telephone repair man
with a cheap glued-on mustache. Like Dennis said on IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN
PHILADELPHIA, "Why are you wearing a disguise? They don't KNOW you!".
Anyhow, Jimmy gets busted and is forced to drink a truth-syrum laced
milkshake and blabs about the Kryptonite somewhere in Metropolis Harbor.
I kinda fail to see how that's going to help anyone, but Superman is
concerned when Jimmy confesses to Clark. Clark hatches a plan to catch
the crook by retrieving the Kryptonite (which is cinched up in a lead
pipe) and is almost immediately stolen from them. Later, Superman poses
for a bust, not realizing the sculpture is really the crook in a
disguise who hid the Kryptonite in the statue and helpfully drew the
line at which Superman would be affected on the floor. To make a long
story short (too late!), the Kryptonite was fake and he pretended to be
affected by it to smoke out the crook but didn't tell Jimmy in case he
got another special milkshake. Unfortunately, he does explain his ruse
to Jimmy so he can tell the next crook who gives him a truth-syrum
milkshake. Oh yeah, at the end, Lois tries to trip up Clark by making
him interview Superman on TV but goes to Clark's place with Jimmy to
watch it instead in person. What a dumb broad!

LIFE, LIBERTY, & LEVIN:
Sean Hannity joins Mark to discuss his new book 'Live Free Or Die: America
(and the World) on the Brink.'

THE NEXT REVOLUTION:
The Next Revolution with Steve Hilton focuses on the impact of the populist
movement, both in the United States and throughout the world. TNR takes an
in-depth look at several different issues impacting the government and
society.

FAMILY GUY:
"Bri-Da". Peter and his friends are sick of forgetting the million-dollar
business ideas they come up with while drinking, so they strap on Joe's
police body cams to record their every move. Meanwhile, Quagmire has to deal
with Brian dating his mentally ill father.

THE OSBOURNES WANT TO BELIEVE:
In the series premiere, Jack Osbourne shares video footage of poltergeists;
haunted dolls; UFOs; and unidentifiable beasts with his parents, Ozzy and
Sharon Osbourne, to make his parents full-fledged paranormal believers.
Sharon and Ozy were incoherant for most of the show, so what was the point?

"It took a worldwide pandemic. It took a 35% plunge in the stock
market. It took quarantining. It took many small businesses closing. It
took canceling practically everything, to bring the USA economy back to
the Obama high mark."
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-03 16:19:12 UTC
I tried to actually get stuff done yesterday (and probably will today
too), so I tried to avoid (seriously) watching movies. Instead, I
started a couple of new series off The Netflix:

Cursed (Netflix) - "Nimue" (ep. #1).
Katherine Langford is a freaky weirdo.
Well, at least, the character she plays on this is - I've never met
the woman, so I can't say if she's a "freaky weirdo" in real life or
not!
Anywho, as Fred pointed out earlier, Katherine Langford's Nimue is
treated as a freaky weirdo by everyone in her village, for her magic,
DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE WHOLE VILLAGE SEEMS TO BE MAGICAL TOO! Why
they all think she's a "freaky weirdo" is never adequately explained in
this pilot (there's one oblique reference to Nimue being "dark magic"
or something, but they don't explain that here!).
So, because everyone is taxing her gig so hardcore - e.g. in a
ceremony with the village's elders, the "magic" annoints Nimue the new
"Summoner" (whatever the Hell that means!!), another gig she doesn't
want, and that her fellow villagers are outraged she has - Nimue
decides to split town to sail over the seas, and her plucky, nosy BFF,
the very pale redheaded Pym (Lily Newmark, who looked familiar to me -
it turns out she recurred on NBC's earlier short-lived "Emerald
City"...) tags along with Nimue, trying to talk Nimue out of leaving.
But when they get to the port town, the boat Nimue intended to split
on had already left, and won't return for months. In town, she and Pym
run across some dude with a guitar, claiming to be a "knight", named
Arthur (Devon Terrell, who's fine here, but it is absolutely tedious
revisionist casting), and Pym immediately sets upong throwing Nimue at
him.
Eventually, on the way back to her village, Nimue and Pym discover
it is being sacked by the bad guys (led by Peter Mullan), who kidnap
stupid Pym, and who kill everyone else, including Nimue's mother -
though the mother manages to give Nimue Excaliber first.
Meanwhile, in a mostly unrelated subplot, Floki from VIKES!!...
sorry... let's call him Floki-Merlin! is... doing... well, it's
unclear, but he seems to figure out that Nimue is some sort of
prophesied figure or something.
OK start to this - it didn't turn me off, so I'll stick with it.

golf - St Jude Invitational Day 3 leader Brendon Todd completely fell
apart on Day 4 (as did An Byeong-hun and Ricky Fowler), which allowed
Justin Thomas to climb into the lead - Thomas managed to stave off
Brooks Koepka to win, which put Thomas back as the #1 ranked golfer in
the world, displacing Jon Rahm who had been #1 for just 2 weeks.

I sort of half-watched "The Prince & Me" with Julia Styles (BIG!
HEAD!!) on one of the Showtime channels. I'd never seen it before. The
first half, at college, and with the prince discovering rural U.S.
culture, was OK. But the film seemed to lose something when it
transitioned to Denmark (leaving most of the flick's first-half cast
behind). Fun fact: Styles' mother was played by late Canadian actress
Alberta Watson, whom I didn't recognize at first! I also liked Styles'
friend, played by Elisabeth Waterston, but it looks like that actress
never went anywhere.
Fun(?) fact #2: They made *three* sequels of this, but Styles never
returned so they replaced her with actress Kam Heskin (and I use the
term "actress" very loosely when referring to Heskin!!). Then Luke
Mably is replaced after the second one!!

The Witcher (Netflix) - "The End's Beginning" (ep. #1.1).
I had been "pre-warned" about this series following two timelines,
so that was pretty easy to pick out while watching this - I was hoping
the storyline with Princess Cirilla was "the past", but I'm pretty sure
by the end of this pilot, that she was actually in "the future", and
the storyline with Geralt of Rivia (Henry Cavill) was the one in "the
past".
I was disappointed that Emma Appleton's Renfri didn't stick around
longer - she's lovely, and I would have liked it more if she were main
cast.
Fun fact: That's Johdi May who shows up as the Queen, and Cirilla's
"grandmother" (really??!!).
Bottom line: I liked this one a lot more than "Cursed", and will
definitely be watching this!

A Murder to Remember (Lifetime) - I gather this flick was based on a
true story. Anyway, it was a pretty decent suspence flick, as you
couldn't tell at first if the "heroine" (relative newcomer Maddie
Nichols) was confused or lying... Basically, this is kind of a
"Stockholm Syndrome" type of flick. But I liked this quite a bit more
than Saturday's "Sleeping with Danger".

I then saw most of "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer" on one of
the Showtime channels - this sequel is crap, but Jennifer Love Hewitt
has arguably never looked better than she does here, at 19 and
hot-to-trot! (The only likely rival would be JLH in "Heartbreakers".)
You know, it occurs to me that this film series is primed for a "20
years later"-type of reboot film: they could have, like, Ben Willis'
grandchild track down JLH and Freddie Prince Jr. and Brandy and try to
kill them again. (If they do this, they will have to ignore this
flick's last scene, and the ill-considered "I'll Always Know What Your
Did Last Summer" direct-to-video "sequel", which shouldn't be hard to
do!)

Recorded for later: NOS4A2, The Alienist: Angel of Darkness, and
Wynonna Earp(!).
2020-08-03 17:45:29 UTC
[...]
I am really close to watching this. I kept trying to squeeze it in
yesterday.
Post by Ian J. Ball
I then saw most of "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer" on one of the
Showtime channels - this sequel is crap,
I think I maybe, probably, saw this once.
I watched:

The Wrong Wedding Planner (LMN) - I finally finished watching this silly
movie. A guy's ex stalks him and secretly befriends his fiance by
pretending to be a wedding planner. Wackiness ensues. Vivica A. Fox
produces and stars as a cop. I have to admit, it felt like a guilty
pleasure but it was somehow or another entertaining.

Tell Me A Story (CW) - I do not know what to make of this. It was all
over the place. There were multiple characters/stories all happening at
the same time. One was a liberal couple arguing over getting married
and having kids. One was a teenage girl going clubbing. One was a pair
of young guys doing drugs and covering up a murder. Another featured
bank robbers wearing pig masks. I'm sure I'm missing one or two more
stories. By the end some of them started to connect. None of the
characters were likeable. In fact most were downright hateable. I
didn't see any real sign of the "fairy tale" aspect other than the
"three pigs" masks. I don't know if I want to come back for episode 2.

NOS4A2 - Last night's episode was perhaps the worse episode of the
season. Vic and her friends are nowhere to be found. We get a
backstory on Manx no one wants or cares about. And Batkid has the
chance to escape then frustratingly blows it because reasons.

The Big Boss (blu-ray) I dived back into my Bruce Lee box set yesterday.
Enter the Dragon is the only Bruce Lee movie I've ever seen before so
these are all new to me. I went in with low exceptions and was *very*
pleasantly surprised by how much I liked them. I love martial arts
movies, but I never watch "old" martial arts movies. I think my low
expectation bias must have be because these are 70s movies and I just
sort of dismissed them out of hand.

Anyway, this is Lee's first staring role in a theatrical movie. On the
commentary they said the movie was written for another actor to star in,
but once Lee signed on the part was rewritten to make him second fiddle
and Lee the star. It came out in 1971. Lee stars as a guy who works for
a company that's secretly smuggling drugs. As employees accidentally
stumble upon this they are murdered. When Lee's friends are killed, he
gets revenge. Normally, I would never watch a movie I've never seen
before with a commentary track on. But for the first 15 minutes I kept
switching to the commentary to sample, and the commentary was just so
good, that I restarted the movie so I could watch it with the commentary
throughout. Unfortunately, the guy doing the commentary was
unapologetically spoiling the movie. He flat out said at one point, you
have no business listening to this commentary if you've never seen the
movie before. But his commentary was pure gold loaded with Easter eggs
and trivia. He spoke the language and could point out differences
between the release cut and the translation errors that popped up in
America. And the guy was a Bruce Lee superfan, and this is his favorite
Bruce Lee movie, and I honestly I don't think I would have enjoyed the
movie nearly as much if the commentary wasn't on.

Fist of Fury (blu-ray) 1972 Bruce Lee movie. This is sort of based on a
true story. Lee stars as a young man in 1910 China who is out for
revenge after his master is murdered by racist Japanese people living in
China at the time. This movie is also heavily referenced in "The Last
Dragon" so it was really nice getting to finally see the movie being
referenced. I liked this one a lot. It might be my new favorite Bruce
Lee movie.

The Way of the Dragon (blu-ray) 1972 movie, written by, directed by and
of course staring Bruce Lee. This is more of a comedy. Lee plays a guy
visiting friends in Rome when he learns the restaurant they own is being
targeted by gangsters. He steps up to save the day. I was shocked to
see Chuck Norris' name in the opening credits. I had no idea other than
the brief cameo in Enter the Dragon that Norris and Lee ever stared in a
movie together. I was even more shocked when Norris faced off against
Lee for the climatic battle at the end of the movie. I didn't grow up
watching Chuck Norris movies. To me he's just the old guy who made a
cameo in The Expendables 2. To see a young Chuck Norris going toe to
toe with Bruce Lee was awesome. I just couldn't believe what I was
seeing. This was another one that I decided to watch with the
commentary track. I don't know if this was an error on the disc or just
how it's always been, but there were often (I think never) subtitles
when the characters talking were American. I could tell the English
track was playing underneath the commentary, but it didn't matter even
if I went back and rewatched the scene without the commentary, there
were still no English subtitles for Americans speaking in English. I
suspect that might be a flaw in the mastering of the disc. I'm going to
write the Criterion Collection people and ask about it.

I was *almost* going to skip this one and watch "The Last Dragon"
instead. "The Last Dragon" pays homage to Bruce Lee movies and when I
checked the imdb page to see *which* Bruce Lee movies are referenced,
"The Way of the Dragon" wasn't listed. Turns out imdb was wrong. This
movie is definitely referenced multiple times in "The Last Dragon." I'm
extra glad I held out and watched this first. Now I only have "Game of
Death" and if I'm up to it there's' also a longer special edition
version of "Enter the Dragon." Had I known the special edition was in
the collection, I would have watched that instead of the theatrical
version. :-/
anim8rfsk
2020-08-03 18:01:08 UTC
[...]
I'd watch Stargate Universe SGU first.
Post by Ian J. Ball
[...]
Plus, Vanity.
2020-08-03 19:02:35 UTC
I tried to actually get stuff done yesterday (and probably will today
too), so I tried to avoid (seriously) watching movies. Instead, I
Cursed (Netflix) - "Nimue" (ep. #1).
  Katherine Langford is a freaky weirdo.
  Well, at least, the character she plays on this is - I've never met
the woman, so I can't say if she's a "freaky weirdo" in real life or not!
  [snip]
  OK start to this - it didn't turn me off, so I'll stick with it.
I am really close to watching this. I kept trying to squeeze it in yesterday.
Have you gotten to "The Witcher" yet? - You might want to give that priority.
Tell Me A Story (CW) - I do not know what to make of this. It was all
over the place. There were multiple characters/stories all happening
at the same time. One was a liberal couple arguing over getting
married and having kids. One was a teenage girl going clubbing. One
was a pair of young guys doing drugs and covering up a murder. Another
featured bank robbers wearing pig masks. I'm sure I'm missing one or
two more stories. By the end some of them started to connect. None of
the characters were likeable. In fact most were downright hateable. I
didn't see any real sign of the "fairy tale" aspect other than the
"three pigs" masks. I don't know if I want to come back for episode 2.
Danille Campbell is "Red Riding Hood" (which makes Billy Magnussen the
"Big Bad Wolf"?... Kim Cattrall is "grandmother").

I have no idea who Dania Ramirez and her brother are, but I'm guessing
"Hansel and Gretel".

I fully agree with you - the first episode really turned me off (I
declined to 'series pass' it). You have to try really hard to get me to
not like Danielle Campbell (or Paul Wesley), but they succeeded.

I'm still undecided on watching ep. #2.
NOS4A2 - Last night's episode was perhaps the worse episode of the season.
So I have this to look forward to?!... >:/
Pete
2020-08-03 19:37:24 UTC
[...]
Thanks for confirming my decision, guys. I saw the promos, and looked
it up on Wikipedia, and decided Not For Me! I won't be picking it up.

In another ambience altogether, I watched 'Taskmaster' on the CW last
night (as there was no competition), and was fairly well amused. It's
maybe sort of a cross between "Jeux Sans Frontiéres" and "Whose Line..".
A group of comics are set ridiculous tasks by the host, and are scored
on their success. I always like British-style humour, so this went dowm
quite well.

-- Pete --
Arthur Lipscomb
2020-08-03 20:37:48 UTC
I tried to actually get stuff done yesterday (and probably will today
too), so I tried to avoid (seriously) watching movies. Instead, I
Cursed (Netflix) - "Nimue" (ep. #1).
  Katherine Langford is a freaky weirdo.
  Well, at least, the character she plays on this is - I've never met
the woman, so I can't say if she's a "freaky weirdo" in real life or not!
  [snip]
  OK start to this - it didn't turn me off, so I'll stick with it.
I am really close to watching this.  I kept trying to squeeze it in
yesterday.
Have you gotten to "The Witcher" yet? -
Yes. I watched/recapped it when it first went live.
Although I don't know what "versions" means. I'm only aware of the ones
that aired on Netflix.

You might want to give that
Post by Ian J. Ball
priority.
Tell Me A Story (CW) - I do not know what to make of this.  It was all
over the place.  There were multiple characters/stories all happening
at the same time.  One was a liberal couple arguing over getting
married and having kids.  One was a teenage girl going clubbing.  One
was a pair of young guys doing drugs and covering up a murder.
Another featured bank robbers wearing pig masks.  I'm sure I'm missing
one or two more stories.  By the end some of them started to connect.
None of the characters were likeable.  In fact most were downright
hateable. I didn't see any real sign of the "fairy tale" aspect other
than the "three pigs" masks.   I don't know if I want to come back for
episode 2.
Danille Campbell is "Red Riding Hood" (which makes Billy Magnussen the
"Big Bad Wolf"?... Kim Cattrall is "grandmother").
I did notice the "grandmother" reference, but did not pick up on how it
connected to anything else. Not that I wasn't looking. I think I did
glance to see if anyone was wearing a red hood. Even the "3 pigs" didn't
seem to fit anything. So I guess they are playing fast and lose with
the story connections.
Post by Ian J. Ball
I have no idea who Dania Ramirez and her brother are, but I'm guessing
"Hansel and Gretel".
I fully agree with you - the first episode really turned me off (I
declined to 'series pass' it). You have to try really hard to get me to
not like Danielle Campbell (or Paul Wesley), but they succeeded.
I'm still undecided on watching ep. #2.
NOS4A2 - Last night's episode was perhaps the worse episode of the season.
So I have this to look forward to?!...  >:/
Sure do. Maybe you'll like it more than I did. Do you enjoy tedious
episodes full of unnecessary flashbacks where they spin their wheels and
make no real progress? If anything they go backwards? Then this is the
episode for you! ;-)

And I don't want to hear any what about the evil little girl either!
Meh to her and her story!
anim8rfsk
2020-08-03 21:11:01 UTC
What Did You Watch? 2020-08-02 (Sunday)
August 3, 2020 at 1:37:48 PM MST
I tried to actually get stuff done yesterday (and probably will today
too), so I tried to avoid (seriously) watching movies. Instead, I
Cursed (Netflix) - "Nimue" (ep. #1).
Katherine Langford is a freaky weirdo.
Well, at least, the character she plays on this is - I've never met
the woman, so I can't say if she's a "freaky weirdo" in real life or not!
[snip]
OK start to this - it didn't turn me off, so I'll stick with it.
I am really close to watching this. I kept trying to squeeze it in
yesterday.
Have you gotten to "The Witcher" yet? -
Yes. I watched/recapped it when it first went live.
Although I don't know what "versions" means. I'm only aware of the ones
that aired on Netflix.
There's a series of books, and they made a Polish mini-series out of them,
and cobbled together a movie out of that. Finally Netflix cannibalized those
to make it's own less coherent version. I snagged them all for my ex (who's
Polish and already knew of the legends).
Jim G.
2020-08-30 02:39:47 UTC
NOS4A2 - Last night's episode was perhaps the worse episode of the
season. Vic and her friends are nowhere to be found. We get a
backstory on Manx no one wants or cares about. And Batkid has the
chance to escape then frustratingly blows it because reasons.
Yeah, I'm definitely hate-watching this one at this point. I'd dump it
now if it weren't for the complete-ist side of me that I hate at times
like this. But I'm done after this season, whether it comes back for a
season three or not.
"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE
Arthur Lipscomb
2020-08-30 03:35:06 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
NOS4A2 - Last night's episode was perhaps the worse episode of the
season.  Vic and her friends are nowhere to be found.  We get a
backstory on Manx no one wants or cares about.  And Batkid has the
chance to escape then frustratingly blows it because reasons.
Yeah, I'm definitely hate-watching this one at this point. I'd dump it
now if it weren't for the complete-ist side of me that I hate at times
like this. But I'm done after this season, whether it comes back for a
season three or not.
I hope I have that kind of willpower if the show comes back for a third
season.
Jim G.
2020-08-31 02:25:40 UTC
Post by Jim G.
Post by Arthur Lipscomb
NOS4A2 - Last night's episode was perhaps the worse episode of the
season.  Vic and her friends are nowhere to be found.  We get a
backstory on Manx no one wants or cares about.  And Batkid has the
chance to escape then frustratingly blows it because reasons.
Yeah, I'm definitely hate-watching this one at this point. I'd dump it
now if it weren't for the complete-ist side of me that I hate at times
like this. But I'm done after this season, whether it comes back for a
season three or not.
I hope I have that kind of willpower if the show comes back for a third
season.
It's REALLY easy for me in this instance. In fact, I've already removed
it from my list and deleted the episodes that were still polluting my
hard drive.
anim8rfsk
2020-08-03 17:56:00 UTC
I tried to actually get stuff done yesterday (and probably will today
too), so I tried to avoid (seriously) watching movies. Instead, I
Cursed (Netflix) - "Nimue" (ep. #1).
Katherine Langford is a freaky weirdo.
Well, at least, the character she plays on this is - I've never met
the woman, so I can't say if she's a "freaky weirdo" in real life or
not!
Anywho, as Fred pointed out earlier, Katherine Langford's Nimue is
treated as a freaky weirdo by everyone in her village, for her magic,
DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE WHOLE VILLAGE SEEMS TO BE MAGICAL TOO! Why
they all think she's a "freaky weirdo" is never adequately explained in
this pilot (there's one oblique reference to Nimue being "dark magic"
or something, but they don't explain that here!).
That seems to be the ultimate answer, that her magic is 'wrong' for some
reason, but if that's true, then it gives the nominal bad guys, the red
coats, a legitimate reason for wiping out the fen infestation.
Post by Ian J. Ball
So, because everyone is taxing her gig so hardcore - e.g. in a
ceremony with the village's elders, the "magic" annoints Nimue the new
"Summoner" (whatever the Hell that means!!), another gig she doesn't
want, and that her fellow villagers are outraged she has - Nimue
decides to split town to sail over the seas, and her plucky, nosy BFF,
the very pale redheaded Pym (Lily Newmark, who looked familiar to me -
Me too, and she's the best thing in this
Post by Ian J. Ball
it turns out she recurred on NBC's earlier short-lived "Emerald
City"...) tags along with Nimue, trying to talk Nimue out of leaving.
But when they get to the port town, the boat Nimue intended to split
on had already left, and won't return for months.
So what circuit does this ship sail that it stops here every six months
exactly, and why would it possibly leave early?
Post by Ian J. Ball
In town, she and Pym
run across some dude with a guitar, claiming to be a "knight", named
Arthur (Devon Terrell, who's fine here, but it is absolutely tedious
revisionist casting),
Not once you realize that approximately 1/3 of England is black in this.
Post by Ian J. Ball
and Pym immediately sets upong throwing Nimue at
him.
Eventually, on the way back to her village, Nimue and Pym discover
it is being sacked by the bad guys (led by Peter Mullan), who kidnap
stupid Pym, and who kill everyone else, including Nimue's mother -
This will go non linear very unnecessarily and very soon, so all the dead
will be there in flashback.
Post by Ian J. Ball
though the mother manages to give Nimue Excaliber first.
Meanwhile, in a mostly unrelated subplot, Floki from VIKES!!...
sorry... let's call him Floki-Merlin! is... doing... well, it's
unclear, but he seems to figure out that Nimue is some sort of
prophesied figure or something.
You'll figure it out eventually, but all the revelations come from the actors
having read the script, and *nothing* they could actually know, ever.
Post by Ian J. Ball
OK start to this - it didn't turn me off, so I'll stick with it.
I sort of half-watched "The Prince & Me" with Julia Styles (BIG!
I'm out
Post by Ian J. Ball
The Witcher (Netflix) - "The End's Beginning" (ep. #1.1).
I had been "pre-warned" about this series following two timelines,
so that was pretty easy to pick out while watching this - I was hoping
the storyline with Princess Cirilla was "the past", but I'm pretty sure
by the end of this pilot, that she was actually in "the future", and
the storyline with Geralt of Rivia (Henry Cavill) was the one in "the
past".
Yeah, that's a mess. The original movie was much more linear.
Post by Ian J. Ball
I was disappointed that Emma Appleton's Renfri didn't stick around
longer - she's lovely, and I would have liked it more if she were main
cast.
Agreed.
Post by Ian J. Ball
Fun fact: That's Johdi May who shows up as the Queen, and Cirilla's
"grandmother" (really??!!).
Bottom line: I liked this one a lot more than "Cursed", and will
definitely be watching this!
I'd have to agree with that.
Post by Ian J. Ball
I then saw most of "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer" on one of
the Showtime channels - this sequel is crap, but Jennifer Love Hewitt
has arguably never looked better than she does here, at 19 and
hot-to-trot! (The only likely rival would be JLH in "Heartbreakers".)
You know, it occurs to me that this film series is primed for a "20
years later"-type of reboot film: they could have, like, Ben Willis'
grandchild track down JLH and Freddie Prince Jr. and Brandy and try to
kill them again. (If they do this, they will have to ignore this
flick's last scene, and the ill-considered "I'll Always Know What Your
Did Last Summer" direct-to-video "sequel", which shouldn't be hard to
do!)
This series brought about the greatest Siskel & Ebert review show ever,
where Roger showed how the posters were emphasizing Love's mammary talents,
and Gene asked why they were still talking about 'last' summer when multiple
years had gone by, and they christened the series "I Still Know What Your
Breasts Did Two Summers Before Last"
2020-08-03 17:04:49 UTC
"The Lucky Cat". Clark and Jimmy do a story on a club whose members are
fanatically antisuperstitious, much to Jimmy's distress, but their
investigation takes a turn when bad things start happening to the
members. Of course, it turns out it wasn't the obvious suspect, who
resented their activities, but was in fact one of the members who burned
down his factory for the insurance money. Wait, why did he do stuff to
the other members, up to applying poison to their black cat that often
scratched people?
So that the insurance company would suspect bad luck and not him?
2020-08-03 18:44:52 UTC
"The Lucky Cat". Clark and Jimmy do a story on a club whose members are
fanatically antisuperstitious, much to Jimmy's distress, but their
investigation takes a turn when bad things start happening to the
members. Of course, it turns out it wasn't the obvious suspect, who
resented their activities, but was in fact one of the members who burned
down his factory for the insurance money. Wait, why did he do stuff to
the other members, up to applying poison to their black cat that often
scratched people?
So that the insurance company would suspect bad luck and not him?
They would still investigate.

the Obama high mark."
Jim G.
2020-08-30 02:39:06 UTC
NOS4A2 / 2x07 / Cripple Creek / 08/02/20

[Bing Partridge has some questions for Charlie Manx; Manx revisits his
difficult childhood; Millie meets an old friend; Wayne faces a choice.]

In retrospect, it's remotely possible that Bing should've done a better
job of disabling Wayne or the Wraith or both. But then again, Bing is a
moron, so there's that. And beyond that, this one gains points for
having zero Vic content, but loses a ton more for having Wayne be
incredibly stupid for no apparent reason other than plot.

Grade: C+
Ian J. Ball
2020-08-30 03:13:04 UTC
Post by Jim G.
NOS4A2 / 2x07 / Cripple Creek / 08/02/20
[Bing Partridge has some questions for Charlie Manx; Manx revisits his
difficult childhood; Millie meets an old friend; Wayne faces a choice.]
In retrospect, it's remotely possible that Bing should've done a better
job of disabling Wayne or the Wraith or both. But then again, Bing is a
moron, so there's that. And beyond that, this one gains points for
having zero Vic content, but loses a ton more for having Wayne be
incredibly stupid for no apparent reason other than plot.
Grade: C+
I just got through this episode today myself. While I didn't hate it as
much as others, it's twice now that Wayne has been the "bad guy" (and
the cause of his own ruin). At this point, I'm kind of hoping that
Wayne *has to die* as only the way to finally do in Charlie Manx.
Jim G.
2020-08-31 02:23:57 UTC
Post by Jim G.
NOS4A2 / 2x07 / Cripple Creek / 08/02/20
[Bing Partridge has some questions for Charlie Manx; Manx revisits his
difficult childhood; Millie meets an old friend; Wayne faces a choice.]
In retrospect, it's remotely possible that Bing should've done a better
job of disabling Wayne or the Wraith or both. But then again, Bing is a
moron, so there's that. And beyond that, this one gains points for
having zero Vic content, but loses a ton more for having Wayne be
incredibly stupid for no apparent reason other than plot.
Grade: C+
I just got through this episode today myself. While I didn't hate it as
much as others, it's twice now that Wayne has been the "bad guy" (and
the cause of his own ruin). At this point, I'm kind of hoping that
Wayne *has to die* as only the way to finally do in Charlie Manx.
As I sorta allude to in another reply, it's as if the writers all
realized that they'd actually made a likable and cool little character
whom people could root for and then quickly decided that there was no
room for that sort of thing in Vic's family.