Vaccine effectiveness claims escalate. Pfizer now 95%. How about COST?
2020-11-18 15:42:56 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54986208

Where are the cost figures for the vaccines?
Adam H. Kerman
2020-11-18 16:01:51 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54986208
Where are the cost figures for the vaccines?
How could that be known yet? These vaccines may provide immunity for a
lifetime, or for three months, or for somewhere in between, and they may
not work as the virus continues to mutate.
RichA
2020-11-18 23:42:19 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54986208
Where are the cost figures for the vaccines?
How could that be known yet? These vaccines may provide immunity for a
lifetime, or for three months, or for somewhere in between, and they may
not work as the virus continues to mutate.
Then initial dose/doses. One needs two applications. One needs to be stored at -80 deg. using expensive
equipment while the other only needs a strong freezer. They know the costs and no one has mentioned it.
Rhino
2020-11-19 04:13:13 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54986208
Where are the cost figures for the vaccines?
How could that be known yet? These vaccines may provide immunity for a
lifetime, or for three months, or for somewhere in between, and they may
not work as the virus continues to mutate.
Various governments, including the Canadian one, already have orders in
place for many millions of doses. I have to imagine there is some kind
of cost associated with each contract, a price we've agreed to pay,
presumably conditioned on if the vaccine works to a satisfactory level.

At least I HOPE our governments aren't foolish enough to sign blank
cheques promising we'll pay whatever price the pharmaceutical companies
want to charge, although I wouldn't put anything past our government.
After all we've already got orders in place for over 400 million doses
for a population of less than 40 million people!! (I heard that from the
mouth of the Minister of Procurement just yesterday when she was
interviewed on a news program.) The "journalist" didn't think to ask why
we were ordering 10 times as many doses as we have people but I'm
baffled by that.
ZZyXX
cite
shawn
2020-11-19 05:21:05 UTC
On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 20:20:11 -0800, ZZyXX
[...]
https://globalnews.ca/news/7467507/canada-coronavirus-vaccines/
"So far, Canada has secured nearly 414 million vaccine doses — more
than 10 doses per-capita for a country of 37.9 million people."

"Canada has reached agreements with seven different companies on track
to produce the world’s first COVID-19 vaccine, the prime minister said
in a press release at the end of October."

So it looks like they were hedging their bets and getting tens of
millions of doses of different vaccines in the hopes that at least one
works.
RichA
Lets hope it's only $2 a dose $880 million and not $50 a dose.
The Horny Goat
2020-11-21 17:07:07 UTC
Post by Rhino
At least I HOPE our governments aren't foolish enough to sign blank
cheques promising we'll pay whatever price the pharmaceutical companies
want to charge, although I wouldn't put anything past our government.
After all we've already got orders in place for over 400 million doses
for a population of less than 40 million people!! (I heard that from the
mouth of the Minister of Procurement just yesterday when she was
interviewed on a news program.) The "journalist" didn't think to ask why
we were ordering 10 times as many doses as we have people but I'm
baffled by that.
cite
https://globalnews.ca/news/7467507/canada-coronavirus-vaccines/
"So far, Canada has secured nearly 414 million vaccine doses — more
than 10 doses per-capita for a country of 37.9 million people."
Canada DOESN'T >have< even one dose (who does?) - what they have are
generically referred to as 'options to purchase'. As a taxpayer I
would HOPE there's a price per dose mentioned because if the figure is
"what the market will bear" what's the point in advancing money for
the option to buy?
Post by shawn
"Canada has reached agreements with seven different companies on track
to produce the world’s first COVID-19 vaccine, the prime minister said
in a press release at the end of October."
Effectively it's the same as placing bets at the horse races. Some
will win, others place, others show - and some won't be in the money
at all. THAT is half of why so many doses have been pre-purchased. The
other is uncertainly about how long a dose is good for. If it's one
year all well and good. If it's one week it's far less good of a deal.

(Now obviously if none of the 'horses come in' then the costs of not
having an effective vaccine are far more than ditching the previous
race's betting stubs in the bin at the racetrack)
Post by shawn
So it looks like they were hedging their bets and getting tens of
millions of doses of different vaccines in the hopes that at least one
works.
Yup - and if ALL the horses come in winners no doubt taxpayers will be
funding a huge foreign aid effort.
RichA
The genius liberals already lost what, $200 million buying faulty Chinese protective gear? Don't put ANY incompetence past them.
The Horny Goat
2020-11-21 17:09:25 UTC
The genius liberals already lost what, $200 million buying faulty Chinese protective gear? Don't put ANY incompetence past them.
This is after they GAVE the Chinese $20 million worth of gear in a
childish attempt to contain it within China itself before it hit our
shores.

Having first given 300000 people in Hong Kong visas and 2+ million
mainland Chinese visas to enter Canada at any time.

Yes this is really a government that had their ducks in a row.