Liberals frantically trying to blame inflation on ANYTHING but Biden
RichA
2021-11-23 15:44:17 UTC
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to raise prices. It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING "free" money into the supply.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-reserve-what-matters/index.html
ZZyXX
2021-11-24 02:35:32 UTC
not one dollar has been put into the supply, not one
NoBody
2021-11-24 15:06:00 UTC
Post by RichA
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to raise prices. It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING "free" money into the supply.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-reserve-what-matters/index.html
"Free" money will *always* create inflation. It's amazing how many
people don't understand basic economics.
suzeeq
2021-11-24 16:09:05 UTC
Post by NoBody
Post by RichA
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to raise prices. It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING "free" money into the supply.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-reserve-what-matters/index.html
"Free" money will *always* create inflation. It's amazing how many
people don't understand basic economics.
Yep, and last year's covid payouts from Congress helped inflation get
started. That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
EGK
2021-11-24 17:16:02 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by NoBody
Post by RichA
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to raise prices. It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING "free" money into the supply.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-reserve-what-matters/index.html
"Free" money will *always* create inflation. It's amazing how many
people don't understand basic economics.
Yep, and last year's covid payouts from Congress helped inflation get
started. That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
The CBO (Congressional Budget Office) has said the spending bills will cause
more inflation. It's because of the Whitehouse vastly over-estimating tax
revenue meaning the deficit will go up even more.
Biden used to tout the CBO as unbiased and called them "The Gold Standard".
Now that they disagree with the Democrats plans, they're a unch of hacks.
hahaha

https://nypost.com/2021/11/19/cbo-says-build-back-better-adds-to-the-deficit-psaki-denies/
BTR1701
2021-11-24 18:19:24 UTC
Post by suzeeq
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to raise
prices. It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING "free" money
into the supply.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-reserve-wha
t-matters/index.html
"Free" money will *always* create inflation. It's amazing how many
people don't understand basic economics.
Yep, and last year's covid payouts from Congress helped inflation get
started.
Which is why responsible leaders would have stopped it *there* before it
got any worse. Instead we have Biden and Pelosi putting the pedal down
and passing one multi-trillion dollar spending bill after another.
Post by suzeeq
That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
So we have 10 years of inflation to look forward to.

Progress!
moviePig
2021-11-24 19:14:18 UTC
Post by suzeeq
That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
So we have 10 years of inflation to look forward to.
Progress!
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
BTR1701
2021-11-24 19:25:57 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
So we have 10 years of inflation to look forward to.
Progress!
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Natural order of things... sure. Which is why we haven't seen anything
like it in 30+ years and it only started when Democrats began raiding
the Treasury like drunken sailors...
chromebook test
2021-11-24 20:06:54 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
So we have 10 years of inflation to look forward to.
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Natural order of things... sure. Which is why we haven't seen anything
like it in 30+ years and it only started when Democrats began raiding
the Treasury like drunken sailors...
The US monetary system was busted long before Biden or the Dem majority took the reins. Helicopter money was being seriously discussed in 2019 by members of BlackRock Investment.
https://www.suerf.org/policynotes/8209/dealing-with-the-next-downturn-from-unconventional-monetary-policy-to-unprecedented-policy-coordination

And then in 2019 Luke Gromen made this prediction a few months before covid's appearance which justified the helicopter money drop:

"... if the trade War goes hot, you know what we even framed is that about a year ago, we coined the phrase. You know, the u.s. might we were worried the u.s. might call in an airstrike inside their own wire. So if you've ever seen the movie Platoon, yeah, there's a big fight at the end, they get overrun and they call in an air strike inside their own wire because

They're better off killing some of their own guys than losing everybody. And our thought was is, you know, is the u.s. looking to call in an air strike inside their own wire, in other words are their interests in the United States that would rather blow up the world, blow up the world economy, blow up the US economy. Then sort of share the world stage with China. And I think those interests exist. I think those interests are in some cases pretty loud and vocal and if they get their way, that could be a pretty scary world.

So to briefly recap:

The US monetary system has been in deep trouble since the 2008 housing bubble. In the two years before covid-19 appeared (2019), the US financial status grew increasingly worse, downgraded for possible default conditions for continued raised debt ceiling limits. Covid, a gift from the financial gods to cull the herd of aging entitlement-eating grandmas, as a bonus released a flood of free money which drastically inflated the money supply. US military intelligence failed to predict the covid pandemic, even though that is the NCMI only task. DARPA forgot to tell anyone it was financing the gain of function research at Wuhan, which the DIA says wasn't a biological weapon, and now Americans have a reason to hate China cause grandma got run over by a series of intelligence failures no one could predict. Everyone else was happy they got a couple stimulus checks, so we have cash to buy Christmas crap from China, who we are at war with, because they threaten our superior form of governance.
moviePig
2021-11-24 20:09:07 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
So we have 10 years of inflation to look forward to.
Progress!
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Natural order of things... sure. Which is why we haven't seen anything
like it in 30+ years and it only started when Democrats began raiding
the Treasury like drunken sailors...
Is "30 years" a benchmark of some sort? And, are you saying that
chromebook test
2021-11-24 20:16:49 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
So we have 10 years of inflation to look forward to.
Progress!
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Natural order of things... sure. Which is why we haven't seen anything
like it in 30+ years and it only started when Democrats began raiding
the Treasury like drunken sailors...
Is "30 years" a benchmark of some sort? And, are you saying that
A 2% inflation rate is normally desirable, which I won't even try to explain in here, because most people don't even know what a percent mark means.

When inflation goes over 4% it's not good. When inflation in 2021 has already eaten up the 5.9% social security cost of living increase for 2022, you are probably fucked. Most people understand what "you are fucked" means, so I'll leave it there.
moviePig
2021-11-24 20:52:20 UTC
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
[...]
Well, I guess that's more substantial than "Libs/Dems/Biden bad!" The
obligatory question, though, is: Can I find coherent-sounding experts
who'll "convincingly explain" why things aren't as bad as all that?
BTR1701
2021-11-24 21:00:55 UTC
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
[...]
Just tell them the fact that they can't pay their bills or afford their
meds anymore is just the natural order of things. Tell 'em Pig sent you.
chromebook test
TAGS: cull the herd, kiss grandmas meds goodbye
moviePig
And wear a 'Joe Biden' mask. And never, ever mention Trump tax-cuts...
BTR1701
2021-11-24 22:10:31 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by BTR1701
Post by suzeeq
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to raise
prices. It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING "free"
moneyinto the supply.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-rese
re-what-matters/index.html
Post by suzeeq
[...]
A tax cut doesn't inject more money into the economy. It merely changes
who has custody of existing money.
moviePig
Afaics, if the govt's coffers were flush, it wouldn't need to print...
BTR1701
2021-11-24 22:57:23 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by BTR1701
Post by suzeeq
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:44:17 -0800 (PST), RichA
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to
raise prices. It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING
"free" money into the supply.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-re
sere-what-matters/index.html
Post by suzeeq
[...]
Sure it would, because it's never enough for those reptiles in
Washington, flush or not. Regardless of how much money they have, they
always want more.
trotsky
WHAT A BUNCH OF VAGUE BULLSHIT.
trotsky
2021-11-25 06:44:28 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by BTR1701
Post by chromebook test
When inflation goes over 4% it's not good. When inflation in 2021 has
already eaten up the 5.9% social security cost of living increase for
2022, you are probably fucked. Most people understand what "you are
fucked" means, so I'll leave it there.
Just tell them the fact that they can't pay their bills or afford their
meds anymore is just the natural order of things. Tell 'em Pig sent you.
And wear a 'Joe Biden' mask. And never, ever mention Trump tax-cuts...
A tax cut doesn't inject more money into the economy. It merely changes
who has custody of existing money.
YES, EXCEPT RIGHT WING ASSHOLES SINCE REAGAN HAVE BEEN TELLING US
OTHERWISE. YOU BASICALLY JUST CALLED REAGAN AND 99% OF REPUBLICANS
PIECES OF SHIT FOR PROMOTING THE LIE THAT IS "TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS."
trotsky
2021-11-24 23:40:36 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
So we have 10 years of inflation to look forward to.
Progress!
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Natural order of things... sure. Which is why we haven't seen anything
like it in 30+ years and it only started when Democrats began raiding
the Treasury like drunken sailors...
Is "30 years" a benchmark of some sort?  And, are you saying that
I believe it's literally impossible to talk to right wing assholes about
how much they've fucked the economy numerous times.
NoBody
2021-11-25 15:34:52 UTC
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
So we have 10 years of inflation to look forward to.
Progress!
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Natural order of things... sure. Which is why we haven't seen anything
like it in 30+ years and it only started when Democrats began raiding
the Treasury like drunken sailors...
Is "30 years" a benchmark of some sort?  And, are you saying that
I believe it's literally impossible to talk to right wing assholes about
how much they've fucked the economy numerous times.
Why are you attempting to shift the discussion from how the left has
given us record setting inflation to blame "right wing assholes"? Is
it because you can't defend this disaster of a President and Dem
congress?
suzeeq
2021-11-25 16:19:52 UTC
Post by NoBody
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
[...]
The last time there was significant inflation, we were in the middle of
George Bush's term.
BTR1701
2021-11-25 18:37:51 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by NoBody
Post by trotsky
I believe it's literally impossible to talk to right wing assholes about
how much they've fucked the economy numerous times.
Why are you attempting to shift the discussion from how the left has
given us record setting inflation to blame "right wing assholes"? Is
it because you can't defend this disaster of a President and Dem
congress?
The last time there was significant inflation, we were in the middle of
George Bush's term.
The last time we were inflation *this* significant, we were in the
middle of Jimmy Carter's term.
suzeeq
That's over 40 years ago, not 30 years.
BTR1701
I stand corrected. That only makes Biden's 'achievement' even worse.
trotsky
2021-11-25 21:57:58 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by suzeeq
Post by BTR1701
Post by suzeeq
Post by NoBody
Post by trotsky
I believe it's literally impossible to talk to right wing assholes about
how much they've fucked the economy numerous times.
Why are you attempting to shift the discussion from how the left has
given us record setting inflation to blame "right wing assholes"? Is
it because you can't defend this disaster of a President and Dem
congress?
The last time there was significant inflation, we were in the middle of
George Bush's term.
The last time we were inflation *this* significant, we were in the
middle of Jimmy Carter's term.
That's over 40 years ago, not 30 years.
I stand corrected. That only makes Biden's 'achievement' even worse.
You're right, we have so many data points on what's supposed to happen
in a pandemic. Why don't you go back to sucking on your bag of dicks
because you're making zero sense here.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-11-25 19:13:12 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by suzeeq
Post by NoBody
Post by trotsky
I believe it's literally impossible to talk to right wing assholes about
how much they've fucked the economy numerous times.
Why are you attempting to shift the discussion from how the left has
given us record setting inflation to blame "right wing assholes"? Is
it because you can't defend this disaster of a President and Dem
congress?
The last time there was significant inflation, we were in the middle of
George Bush's term.
The last time we were inflation *this* significant, we were in the
middle of Jimmy Carter's term.
You're forgetting about high unemployment. Also there wasn't severe
supply chain disruption. You can't compare.
NoBody
2021-11-26 16:40:37 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by NoBody
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
[...]
And you're shifting again. Please explain how any inflation rates
under Republicans comes even close to what we are experiencing now.
suzeeq
He said it was 30 years ago, and I simply pointed out that was Bush's term.
moviePig
Pretty shifty. Next thing, you'll be moving goalposts...
moviePig
2021-11-26 20:42:17 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Post by suzeeq
Post by NoBody
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
[...]
That's more like what you would do.
Nah, I leave that to my straw men. When they're done backpedaling.
NoBody
But the rates in comparision were not significant.
trotsky
MORE LIES. YOU REALLY HAVE TAKEN GETTING TERMINATED FROM YOUR JOB BADLY.
The Horny Goat
2021-11-24 21:41:36 UTC
Post by moviePig
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Fair enough BUT while some level of inflation is inevitable, running
massive deficit spending WILL over time amp the inflation rate.

1-2% is probably sustainable, 10-20% isn't.
moviePig
2021-11-24 22:46:18 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by moviePig
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Fair enough BUT while some level of inflation is inevitable, running
massive deficit spending WILL over time amp the inflation rate.
1-2% is probably sustainable, 10-20% isn't.
Even that "2%" figure is what some expert somewhere tells me. But *I*
don't know the basis for it, such that I can, of my own understanding,
passionately denounce those who would broach, say, "4%" ...especially
for some unspecified time. My cynical point is that all this gnashing
of teeth is more about un-reasoned politics than reasoned economics.
The Horny Goat
2021-11-24 23:41:49 UTC
Post by moviePig
Even that "2%" figure is what some expert somewhere tells me. But *I*
don't know the basis for it, such that I can, of my own understanding,
passionately denounce those who would broach, say, "4%" ...especially
for some unspecified time. My cynical point is that all this gnashing
of teeth is more about un-reasoned politics than reasoned economics.
Obviously I know the Canadian situation better than the US but 10
years ago Stephen Harper was criticized for allowing the national
(total) debt to get to $450 billion.

Justin Trudeau did that in 2020 in a single year and while I
acknowledge 2020 was an emergency situation then as now he was in a
minority government situation and other parties notably the NDP were
pushing him hard to do even more.

In American terms consider the AOC plan and what it means financially
and on a per capita basis INCREASE that 50-100% That's what the
usually suspects are demanding of Trudeau and from his public

(Incidentally $450 billion is about $15-18k per Canadian and that's in
a single year)
BTR1701
2021-11-25 03:53:53 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by moviePig
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Fair enough BUT while some level of inflation is inevitable, running
massive deficit spending WILL over time amp the inflation rate.
1-2% is probably sustainable, 10-20% isn't.
Even that "2%" figure is what some expert somewhere tells me. But *I*
don't know the basis for it, such that I can, of my own understanding,
passionately denounce those who would broach, say, "4%" ...especially
for some unspecified time. My cynical point is that all this gnashing
of teeth is more about un-reasoned politics than reasoned economics.
Here’s our vice president explaining inflation:

https://twitter.com/RobSchneider/status/1463561280422248450?s=20

You can now fully enjoy your Thanksgiving Day dinner knowing that our highes
elected officials truly understand the extra burdens they have inflicted o
all of us.
moviePig
2021-11-25 04:30:32 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by moviePig
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Fair enough BUT while some level of inflation is inevitable, running
massive deficit spending WILL over time amp the inflation rate.
1-2% is probably sustainable, 10-20% isn't.
Even that "2%" figure is what some expert somewhere tells me. But *I*
don't know the basis for it, such that I can, of my own understanding,
passionately denounce those who would broach, say, "4%" ...especially
for some unspecified time. My cynical point is that all this gnashing
of teeth is more about un-reasoned politics than reasoned economics.
https://twitter.com/RobSchneider/status/1463561280422248450?s=20
You can now fully enjoy your Thanksgiving Day dinner knowing that our highest
elected officials truly understand the extra burdens they have inflicted on
all of us.
Well, she's not wrong, nor imo a gifted public speaker. Still: 1) what
*should* she have said? and 2) what would *Trump* have said?
BTR1701
2021-11-25 04:43:35 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by moviePig
[...]
She *should* have explained what inflation actually is and what is currentl
causing it. Of course that would require her to actually know and understan
those things.

What Trump would have said is absolutely irrelevant because Trump is no
president or in charge of anything. You might as well ask what Wile E. Coyot
would have said.
trotsky
2021-11-25 09:46:40 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by moviePig
[...]
She *should* have explained what inflation actually is and what is currently
causing it. Of course that would require her to actually know and understand
those things.
What Trump would have said is absolutely irrelevant because Trump is not
president or in charge of anything. You might as well ask what Wile E. Coyote
would have said.
IT'S A FALSE EQUIVALENCE TO COMPARE A PRESIDENT TO A VICE PRESIDENT IN
THE FIRST FUCKING PLACE.
moviePig
It's relevant to how free of bias your judgement is.
The Horny Goat
2021-11-25 18:49:15 UTC
Post by moviePig
What Trump would have said is absolutely irrelevant because Trump is not
president or in charge of anything. You might as well ask what Wile E. Coyote
would have said.
It's relevant to how free of bias your judgement is.
Why? Stephen Harper was prime minister of Canada for twice as long as
Trump was president but I certainly don't hear people taking his
opinion seriously either in 2021.

The main thing he said was that these days he follows US affairs more
closely than Canada since Canadian affairs were just too personal to
him. Which given his 9 1/2 years in office followed by a big loss at
the polls I completely understand.

(For what it's worth no Canadian PM has ever won a 4th term and 2015
was his 4th attempt)
moviePig
2021-11-25 19:39:35 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by moviePig
What Trump would have said is absolutely irrelevant because Trump is not
president or in charge of anything. You might as well ask what Wile E. Coyote
would have said.
It's relevant to how free of bias your judgement is.
Why? Stephen Harper was prime minister of Canada for twice as long as
Trump was president but I certainly don't hear people taking his
opinion seriously either in 2021.
The main thing he said was that these days he follows US affairs more
closely than Canada since Canadian affairs were just too personal to
him. Which given his 9 1/2 years in office followed by a big loss at
the polls I completely understand.
(For what it's worth no Canadian PM has ever won a 4th term and 2015
was his 4th attempt)
BTR is castigating Harris for not having more to say and better. But
when Trump had the mic, impromptu verbal ineptitude became mere paste
scraped from where a dead horse was repeatedly beaten into the ground.
trotsky
Word.
trotsky
2021-11-25 09:56:52 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by moviePig
[...]
INTERESTING. MEANWHILE, THE INSURRECTIONISTS, WHO YOU HAVE NEVER
DENOUNCED, WERE TRYING TO "HANG MIKE PENCE". SINCE YOU HAVE DENOUNCED
IT THAT MEANS HE HAD IT COMING, RIGHT?
NoBody
2021-11-25 15:39:54 UTC
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by moviePig
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by moviePig
[...]
You're deflecting again. A sure sign that you have no argument to
make.
trotsky
2021-11-25 08:13:57 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by moviePig
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Fair enough BUT while some level of inflation is inevitable, running
massive deficit spending WILL over time amp the inflation rate.
1-2% is probably sustainable, 10-20% isn't.
Even that "2%" figure is what some expert somewhere tells me.  But *I*
don't know the basis for it, such that I can, of my own understanding,
passionately denounce those who would broach, say, "4%" ...especially
for some unspecified time.  My cynical point is that all this gnashing
of teeth is more about un-reasoned politics than reasoned economics.
The economy is a complex subject, I don't know why these armchair
quarterbacks try to discuss it.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/11/24/us-consumer-spending-rebounds-despite-accelerating-inflation

US consumer spending rebounds despite accelerating inflation

Consumer spending jumped by 1.3 percent in October, double the 0.6
percent gained in September, the US Department of Commerce reported.

So consumer spending is up and unemployment is extremely low, yet
inflation persists in the short term. I'd love to hear what's really
going on here, but I don't know if anybody can explain it adequately.
The only thing I find interesting here is that people go off half
cocked, don't really have must information to go on, but proffer
"opinions" as if they mean something. It's both funny and sad.
shawn
2021-11-24 22:46:24 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by moviePig
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Fair enough BUT while some level of inflation is inevitable, running
massive deficit spending WILL over time amp the inflation rate.
1-2% is probably sustainable, 10-20% isn't.
Which is why it is so strange that even the Democrats allowed changes
to the tax law that will lower the tax bill for some middle class
people but a higher percentage of those above the middle class range
will benefit from those tax dollars. If we are going to spend more
shouldn't the government also tend to try to bring in more tax revenue
to at least try to balance the budget?
trotsky
2021-11-24 23:49:59 UTC
Post by moviePig
Post by suzeeq
That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
So we have 10 years of inflation to look forward to.
Progress!
Not an economics guru like everyone else here, but... afaik, inflation
is the natural order of things, and thus not synonymous with 'evil'.
Supply is down
And severe global shortages of drivers and other workers are making it
difficult to expand capacity or fix other problems plaguing the supply
chains, so they can't break free of the thick mud they're in. This
creates a shortage of products getting through that limit competition,
causing price increases.Nov 10, 2021

How the supply chain caused current inflation, and why ... - PBS

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/how-the-supply-chain-caused-current-inflation-and-why-it-might-be-here-to-stay
suzeeq
2021-11-24 20:00:35 UTC
Post by suzeeq
That was endorsed by the Republicans as well as Democrats. But
the latest spending bills aren't going to dump a bunch of money into the
economy at once like they did. It's going to be spent over the next 10
years.
So we have 10 years of inflation to look forward to.
Spread out over 10 years shouldn't inflate the economy. Especially the
part that's going to infrastructure, which provides jobs.
Adam H. Kerman
2021-11-24 21:41:57 UTC
Post by suzeeq
Spread out over 10 years shouldn't inflate the economy. Especially the
part that's going to infrastructure, which provides jobs.
Spending is spending. 10% of the $1 trillion is highways/bridges, with
additional monies for railroad and transit. The rest of it isn't
directly for what you would think of as infrastructure.

The trouble with traditional infrastructure spending unless it's pure
repair is that it chooses winners and losers. The nation as a whole pays
for it but only selected locations benefit. This is why infrastructure
costs should always be charged to land and never to general taxes.

It also means that the government has chosen for you what money will be
spent on, and that disrupts the free market.

From what I can tell, the infrastructure spending will largely be
contrary to the goals of the massive spending to mitigate climate
change, so everybody in Congress is an idiot. In my area, there is a
massively congested expressway, three lanes in each direction through
the western suburbs. The state has wanted to widen it to four lanes in
each direction for decades. It will cost $1 billion, probably. More road
capacity will reduce mass transit usage; there are parallel transit
routes. Encouraging more driving is contrary to climate change goals.
shawn
2021-11-24 22:43:50 UTC
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:41:57 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Spread out over 10 years shouldn't inflate the economy. Especially the
part that's going to infrastructure, which provides jobs.
Spending is spending. 10% of the $1 trillion is highways/bridges, with
additional monies for railroad and transit. The rest of it isn't
directly for what you would think of as infrastructure.
The trouble with traditional infrastructure spending unless it's pure
repair is that it chooses winners and losers. The nation as a whole pays
for it but only selected locations benefit. This is why infrastructure
costs should always be charged to land and never to general taxes.
It also means that the government has chosen for you what money will be
spent on, and that disrupts the free market.
From what I can tell, the infrastructure spending will largely be
contrary to the goals of the massive spending to mitigate climate
change, so everybody in Congress is an idiot. In my area, there is a
massively congested expressway, three lanes in each direction through
the western suburbs. The state has wanted to widen it to four lanes in
each direction for decades. It will cost $1 billion, probably. More road
capacity will reduce mass transit usage; there are parallel transit
routes. Encouraging more driving is contrary to climate change goals.
That is always the hope (that more road capacity will help speed up
travel) and it will for a time. However studies have shown that
eventually (just a matter of a few years) traffic will grow to fill
the enhanced road capacity and the traffic congestion will be much the
same as it was.
suzeeq
2021-11-24 22:58:40 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Spread out over 10 years shouldn't inflate the economy. Especially the
part that's going to infrastructure, which provides jobs.
Spending is spending. 10% of the $1 trillion is highways/bridges, with
additional monies for railroad and transit. The rest of it isn't
directly for what you would think of as infrastructure.
The trouble with traditional infrastructure spending unless it's pure
repair is that it chooses winners and losers. The nation as a whole pays
for it but only selected locations benefit. This is why infrastructure
costs should always be charged to land and never to general taxes.
It also means that the government has chosen for you what money will be
spent on, and that disrupts the free market.
From what I can tell, the infrastructure spending will largely be
contrary to the goals of the massive spending to mitigate climate
change, so everybody in Congress is an idiot. In my area, there is a
massively congested expressway, three lanes in each direction through
the western suburbs. The state has wanted to widen it to four lanes in
each direction for decades. It will cost $1 billion, probably. More road
capacity will reduce mass transit usage; there are parallel transit
routes. Encouraging more driving is contrary to climate change goals.
That is always the hope (that more road capacity will help speed up
travel) and it will for a time. However studies have shown that
eventually (just a matter of a few years) traffic will grow to fill
the enhanced road capacity and the traffic congestion will be much the
same as it was.
Just like when you move to a larger house and shortly, your stuff
expands to fill up all that space.
Adam H. Kerman
I know! And I haven't even bought any new crap!
suzeeq
Well no, one tends to buy new crap because 'there's all this room for it!'
EGK
2021-11-24 23:17:53 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by suzeeq
Spread out over 10 years shouldn't inflate the economy. Especially the
part that's going to infrastructure, which provides jobs.
Spending is spending. 10% of the $1 trillion is highways/bridges, with
additional monies for railroad and transit. The rest of it isn't
directly for what you would think of as infrastructure.
The trouble with traditional infrastructure spending unless it's pure
repair is that it chooses winners and losers. The nation as a whole pays
for it but only selected locations benefit. This is why infrastructure
costs should always be charged to land and never to general taxes.
It also means that the government has chosen for you what money will be
spent on, and that disrupts the free market.
From what I can tell, the infrastructure spending will largely be
contrary to the goals of the massive spending to mitigate climate
change, so everybody in Congress is an idiot. In my area, there is a
massively congested expressway, three lanes in each direction through
the western suburbs. The state has wanted to widen it to four lanes in
each direction for decades. It will cost $1 billion, probably. More road
capacity will reduce mass transit usage; there are parallel transit
routes. Encouraging more driving is contrary to climate change goals.
A huge amount of the spending bill is geared towards subsidizing the
manufacture of electric cars. Nevermind that the US has no ability to
produce electricity to power them all. Much of the current electric plants
are powered by Coal/Oil and natural gas.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=45096
In 2019, 80% of domestic energy production was from fossil fuels, and 80% of
domestic energy consumption originated from fossil fuels.
NoBody
Exactly. We're going to "save the planet" by destroying it.
chromebook test
2021-11-24 16:15:02 UTC
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to raise prices. It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING "free" money into the supply.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-reserve-what-matters/index.html
"Free" money will *always* create inflation. It's amazing how many
people don't understand basic economics.
There are two parts to inflation in the current economic environment. The first, is what the mainstream media is reporting on, supply and demand of commodities to manufacture consumer goods.

The second part which is not covered much in the mainstream is the debasement of the broad money supply by government stimulus , also known as helicopter money.

To learn more about 'helicopter money' do a Google search for helicopter money and/or 'Modern Monetary Theory' (MMT).
chromebook test
2021-12-16 14:51:46 UTC
Post by chromebook test
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to raise prices. It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING "free" money into the supply.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-reserve-what-matters/index.html
"Free" money will *always* create inflation. It's amazing how many
people don't understand basic economics.
There are two parts to inflation in the current economic environment. The first, is what the mainstream media is reporting on, supply and demand of commodities to manufacture consumer goods.
The second part which is not covered much in the mainstream is the debasement of the broad money supply by government stimulus , also known as helicopter money.
To learn more about 'helicopter money' do a Google search for helicopter money and/or 'Modern Monetary Theory' (MMT).
There’s two types of inflation. There’s inflation when the demand for goods and services rises against the capacity to produce them. That’s normal, cyclical inflation. Then there’s monetary inflation — the creation of a lot of money and credit relative to the quantity of goods and services. The U.S. is having both.

Ray Dalio warns Fed’s hands are tied and higher U.S. inflation is sticking around. Democracy, maybe not.
Jonathan Burton Dec. 16, 2021
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ray-dalio-warns-the-feds-hands-are-tied-and-that-higher-u-s-inflation-is-sticking-around-democracy-maybe-not-11639578847
BTR1701
2021-11-24 18:17:27 UTC
Post by RichA
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to raise prices.
It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING "free" money into the
supply.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-reserve-what-
matters/index.html
"Free" money will *always* create inflation. It's amazing how many
people don't understand basic economics.
They're invested in this continued self-delusion that there must be
*some* way to keep handing out freebies to people without wrecking the
economy because the alternative-- that people have to work for what they
receive-- is just *soooo* oppressive.
trotsky
2021-11-25 06:58:49 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by RichA
It's "supply chain" issues. It's "big business" attempting to raise prices.
It's Trump-era "tariffs." But nothing about POURING "free" money into the
supply.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/inflation-biden-federal-reserve-what-
matters/index.html
"Free" money will *always* create inflation. It's amazing how many
people don't understand basic economics.
They're invested in this continued self-delusion that there must be
*some* way to keep handing out freebies to people without wrecking the
economy because the alternative-- that people have to work for what they
receive--
LOL! DID YOU GET A JOB AT MCDONALD'S THEN?